Allen Greene Out as AD

JerryAU

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Now I'm super confused

I will answer for @bigbird, this one is my fault.  I was standing up for A4E with Oracle’s comment about him being dumb.  I knew A4E had a handicap, but I was wrong in thinking it was mental, not physical.  Bird was correcting me about A4E.  That’s on me for saying that.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I will answer for @bigbird, this one is my fault.  I was standing up for A4E with Oracle’s comment about him being dumb.  I knew A4E had a handicap, but I was wrong in thinking it was mental, not physical.  Bird was correcting me about A4E.  That’s on me for saying that.

I know that, it's just you aren't the first person to say or believe that. It's just confusing on who really knows stuff that's true 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I know that, it's just you aren't the first person to say or believe that. It's just confusing on who really knows stuff that's true 

Yeah, definitely not the first to say it, but I thought an okay time to say something so that it doesn't continue to get presented so poorly.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yeah, definitely not the first to say it, but I thought an okay time to say something so that it doesn't continue to get presented so poorly.

It was a great time. It just blew my mind because of how often the other stuff was said. I believed it. 

• Like 1

I have been reading all the different viewpoints on the Allen Greene Saga. One side is he is a nice guy who was over his head and was not qualified for the job the other side is he took on the Old Boys network and was destined to fail because of the disfunction within the athletics department. There were various opinions between the two extremes.

Here is my take lets assume that Greene was not qualified from the get go and others made all the decisions that led to some good things like starting the football complex hiring some good coaches. Then we blew it twice in this scenario one in hiring the wrong man then two not getting rid of him as soon as we realized he was not up to the job this looks bad for Auburn because we were inept in initial decision and then we were inept in not addressing right away. 

In the second scenario we hired him despite the fact that the good ole Boys didn't like him and yet he still did a good job and we undercut him with  NIL and the Harsin debacle in February, because Good Ole boys didn't get their way. The is the old PTB thing that has plagued Auburn for years.  This is a really bad look for Auburn and makes it easier for other coaches to negatively recruit against auburn

I have an opinion it is somewhere between the two worse case scenarios. The sad thing is both scenarios show disfunction that needs to be addressed. It seems like Auburn has been our own worst enemy either way.  It is of dire importance that we have a great AD hire some one who can get the money boys to support NIL without being beholden to the money boys.  I don't care if it is an Auburn Insider or Outsider but it has to be a person with the Gravitas to be respected, a great communicator, and have the full support of the administration.

If we blow this hire we are in big trouble.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Need to get couple things straightened out about A4E. @augolf1716 can attest to this, ToW/A4E is/was a good guy.  The three of us had communication beyond this site.  He was in a chair, but as he told me, he was not disabled or handicapped. He was not mentally deficient in any way. He could, and did, give as good as he got...when he wanted. He really enjoyed the banter, but was absolutely the most even tempered, kind fan.  We've reached out and unfortunately haven't heard anything for a while. Don't be fooled to be made to feel bad, ToW/A4E enjoyed his time on the boards 

I do miss seeing his takes on here. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I have friends within the AD, I am friends with a boosters son. Also, it is common knowledge with people who have zero connections within the AD that the General was brought over approximately two years ago, because Alan Greene wasn’t doing his job. That isn’t something I’m making up and I’m not just voicing my opinion, that is a fact!

Auburn University’s chief operating officer, Lt. General Ronald Burgess, has temporarily moved into the football complex building while doing anassessment of the athletic department operations for President Jay Gogue. Burgess was the point man in pushing forward the new football complex project from the planning stage to the construction stage where it is a year away from its scheduled completion date. He has a reputation as a no-nonsenseadministrator who gets things done.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Thursday-Auburn-football-basketball-other-Tiger-Tidbits-from-Inside-the-Auburn-Tigers-167548547/

The information you quoted in no way backed up the assumptions you put forth that specific personnel choices (mostly coaching selections)that appear to have progressed  the AD were made by Burgess. When reading what you posted above outside of the major project moving forward, none if the personnel choices would have been made by him.

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Ah so this is where the thread goes now. Prolly gonna turn out really well.

I will say, even if you don’t believe having a person of color be let go is a negative (which it could not be), it was certainly a positive with recruits and players. AD AG was both black and charismatic on top of that. Seeing him definitely leaves an impression on more than a few recruits’ families. 

NOT saying they should’ve retained him purely off of that, if they viewed him as needing to go. But it is important to note that he was a positive with the kids 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

But it is important to note that he was a positive with the kids

One reason I was so disappointed in his job performance 

• Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 2:44 PM, BigBlueWDE said:

I think Harsin winning 10 games with this group and leaving for greener pastures may be the best case scenario for both sides actually

Especially if he becomes the next Saban. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I have friends within the AD, I am friends with a boosters son. Also, it is common knowledge with people who have zero connections within the AD that the General was brought over approximately two years ago, because Alan Greene wasn’t doing his job. That isn’t something I’m making up and I’m not just voicing my opinion, that is a fact!

Auburn University’s chief operating officer, Lt. General Ronald Burgess, has temporarily moved into the football complex building while doing anassessment of the athletic department operations for President Jay Gogue. Burgess was the point man in pushing forward the new football complex project from the planning stage to the construction stage where it is a year away from its scheduled completion date. He has a reputation as a no-nonsenseadministrator who gets things done.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Thursday-Auburn-football-basketball-other-Tiger-Tidbits-from-Inside-the-Auburn-Tigers-167548547/

So what precipitated the "assessment" at issue?  

(I don't remember, if I ever knew.)

11 hours ago, BizTiger said:

I'm not ready to concede to the idea of someone with AU ties that won't be subject to the vice grips of the good ole boys. The good ole boys must be revolted against and locked out of the house, and I'm not sure any AU family can do this. 

Substitute "money" for "good ole boy" in that paragraph and it makes your point plainer. ;)

2 hours ago, Tiger Kent said:

Hey Auburn Family!  Just letting you know that one of the AD candidates is my cousin John Hartwell and he would be a perfect fit for Auburn.  He was the AD at Troy and now he is the AD at Utah State.  This past year, Utah State won conference championships in Football, Volleyball and Gymnastics and the coaches were all hired by John.  John is a lifelong Auburn fan and comes from a family full of Auburn grads and (more importantly) Auburn fans.  He is a perfect Southern gentleman that knows how to work hard and represent Auburn the right way.  He was born in Mobile, AL and was an All-State basketball star at UMS-Wright and a 3-year starter at the Citadel.  There is not another man that will work harder than him to make Auburn Athletics great again.  He believes in family, church, athletics and loves Auburn.  If anyone has an inside track to put in the good word for John Hartwell...  please do.  War Eagle! 

Kent Hartwell       

Thank you for posting this and welcome!

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 1:14 PM, bigbird said:

They don't. Just some of the things done or not done while at Auburn.  

For Allen’s part he was a great fund raiser but I think he never felt good about AU and the board was never completely on board about him. Allen is a good person who will do great in a place like Stanford or similar school. Everybody doesn’t just fit together, even if they try. Good luck Allen Greene, hoping you find a great school to work in. Harrison should be paying attention 7 wins or less is probably not going to be good for him. 🤔

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Substitute "money" for "good ole boy" in that paragraph and it makes your point plainer. ;)

Yep and if you take away the money guys sports will suffer greatly. That’s where money comes for new stadiums and sports complexes . Be careful fir what you wish. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's hilarious. It's literally why we need more color in important positions in the organization. Somebody that would have said hey first and foremost we need to make sure we have things that make players want to be here........it's literally investing into yourself.  But instead we have people focused on promoting how we were in the old days.....before you know it you blink and we are light years behind everybody else you have to compete with

As long as the person is qualified and able to do a great job I don’t care what color or gender they are. That’s where you and I seem to find a fissure. You try to turn it into something it’s not and I’m not willing to sit by and be quiet about it. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yep and if you take away the money guys sports will suffer greatly. That’s where money comes for new stadiums and sports complexes . Be careful fir what you wish. 

Players also!!

Thanks for nice welcome everyone.  When you hear the stories that the boosters didn't like Allen Green and were against him hiring Bryan Harsin, you wonder how much of it is true.  If the boosters didn't want Harsin as their coach, then who did they want?  It would be great if Harsin, Finley, the Wide Receivers and the Offensive Line all pull together and prove every one wrong.  That would be AUsome!  I really do hope that they really take a strong look at my cousin for the AD job because he would make the boosters happy, and the Auburn Family would love him! Is there anybody in the AUFAMILY forum that can put in a good word for John Hartwell for AD?  Does anyone have some inside connections? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tiger Kent said:

Hey Auburn Family!  Just letting you know that one of the AD candidates is my cousin John Hartwell and he would be a perfect fit for Auburn.  He was the AD at Troy and now he is the AD at Utah State.  This past year, Utah State won conference championships in Football, Volleyball and Gymnastics and the coaches were all hired by John.  John is a lifelong Auburn fan and comes from a family full of Auburn grads and (more importantly) Auburn fans.  He is a perfect Southern gentleman that knows how to work hard and represent Auburn the right way.  He was born in Mobile, AL and was an All-State basketball star at UMS-Wright and a 3-year starter at the Citadel.  There is not another man that will work harder than him to make Auburn Athletics great again.  He believes in family, church, athletics and loves Auburn.  If anyone has an inside track to put in the good word for John Hartwell...  please do.  War Eagle! 

Kent Hartwell       

Love to hear it. Thanks for sharing.

7 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Saban ran off "money" at Bama in 2007. You don't think those "Beer Bryant" era guys were pissed at him then? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BizTiger said:

Saban ran off "money" at Bama in 2007. You don't think those "Beer Bryant" era guys were pissed at him then? 

Saban didn’t run anyone off.  He told the money guys that weren’t on the same page to sit in the corner.   The money was always pouring in.   After his first year, he has never won less than 10 games a year.    It’s unheard of what is happening across the state.   That’s what some on here don’t get.   Auburn has never matched that kind of consistency and the likelihood of anyone else matching it is slim.   

• Like 3

• Zeek unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Saban didn’t run anyone off.  He told the money guys that weren’t on the same page to sit in the corner.   The money was always pouring in.   After his first year, he has never won less than 10 games a year.    It’s unheard of what is happening across the state.   That’s what some on here don’t get.   Auburn has never matched that kind of consistency and the likelihood of anyone else matching it is slim.   

All $aban needed was a couple of years of Red Elephant $$$$ filtering into the hands of his best players/recruits to set the baseline. Once he had that going it was a runaway train. Cash inside suit pockets, Florida panhandle car dealers rotating dodge chargers and caddys with cash in the glove boxes.....a network that would have made the 1980's money men smile. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

All $aban needed was a couple of years of Red Elephant $$$$ filtering into the hands of his best players/recruits to set the baseline. Once he had that going it was a runaway train. Cash inside suit pockets, Florida panhandle car dealers rotating dodge chargers and caddys with cash in the glove boxes.....a network that would have made the 1980's money men smile. 

Without a doubt the most corrupt program ever and we have had to compete year after year. There was a reason Coach Dye said few officials would have had the guts to make a particular interference call in the 1982 IB.

• Like 1