Allen Greene Out as AD

JerryAU

6 minutes ago, au302 said:

I'll take your word, but I feel like if we had an AD literally not working he'd have been terminated way back when and that story would have been discovered by the press. "Auburn AD never reports to the office"... I guess I just find it typical that we throw mud at the guy on his way out. Criticize his job performance, but not his character. That's my point.

Also, with regards to your General Burgess comment one above, I'm a big fan of his, but isn't it only right that if we give him credit for all the good stuff, that he also gets the blame for Harsin? Because I firmly remember it being reported that General Burgess personally went rogue with Greene and interviewed/hired Harsin with him. I even remember Harsin personally thanking the General during his introductory press conference.

To me, it doesn't seem right that Greene gets no credit for the good, and General Burgess all the credit for the good, but Greene gets all blame for Harsin, with Burgess getting none. Either Burgess get's all credit and significant blame, or we give Greene both as the AD. Can't pick and choose and have it both ways imo.

I don’t think all of this is coming down on him on his way out.  I think what you are seeing is all of the information a lot of us knew from Eagles Nest coming out, but this information has been known for a while.  We were just asked not to mention it.

I do think Greene deserves credit where due.  I think he is incredibly well spoken and whenever out in public or representing the university he represented us well.  I know it seems I have been critical of him on this thread, but I genuinely do wish him and his family well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Whatever. Most of you guys wanted him hands and knees on our sidelines. 

I wasn't speaking for other guys, only myself. But any coach / person with mental decorum would not have come out and said what he did, when he did. Interviewing him was part of the process. I don't know if he was offered the job but take my word, the dude is nuts.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

For all the reasons stated in this thread, but in this case he upset our coaches in how the budget was handled.  Maverick’s post a page or two back is correct.

Not necessarily.  You can simply just be good at interviewing or test-taking.  Is it safe to assume you are in business?  If so, do you own a business?  Some of the people I have hired before were really good in the interview but bad at their job so I had to let them go.  It happens.  

It absolutely does happen, but if I hire an executive with solid credentials and recommendations, but suddenly becomes a problem without a history of said problems...and is looking for a landing spot less than 2 years after being hired, I can't just ignore my mirror. 

We often ignore our mirrors. 

Just now, Builder said:

I wasn't speaking for other guys, only myself. But any coach / person with mental decorum would not have come out and said what he did, when he did. Interviewing him was part of the process. I don't know if he was offered the job but take my word, the dude is nuts.

You might be right . I don’t know . I just know many Auburn fans wanted him here till he questioned the dysfunction behind the scenes ( as several Individuals close to auburn and not close has done) then he became unqualified.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

You might be right . I don’t know . I just know many Auburn fans wanted him here till he questioned the dysfunction behind the scenes ( as several Individuals close to auburn and not close has done) then he became unqualified.

No doubt there is dysfunction at AU. It starts at the top with our President, now and in the past  allowing a  few members of the BOT to sniff the jocks at Jordan Hare. Harsin is an outsider , not easily influenced who I hope stays and eventually wins. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Completely agree. Greene and CBH both came here with very accomplished resumes. They were successful pre AU and will be successful post AU. Their resumes had no record of not showing up at work or not being able to get along with people. Suddenly at Auburn they’re Forest Gump level. That has been the paradigm at Auburn for way too long.  Our leaders and BOT need to take a long look in the mirror. 

Harsin was far from "very accomplished" .

Not to saw he was bad or a failure, but he has never really done anything impressive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

At some point there is going to be a revolution at Auburn and the wrong people are going to lose their influence. It’s coming, I can assure that. It happened at Bama in 07. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GunsmithAU said:

Harsin was far from "very accomplished" .

Not to saw he was bad or a failure, but he has never really done anything impressive. 

He had a nearly identical record Urban Meyer had at Utah before going to Florida. 

Coaches don't forget how to win...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

He had a nearly identical record Urban Meyer had at Utah before going to Florida. 

The situation at Utah and Boise were worlds apart. Boise was already built as a super power I'm the Mt west. They had the recruiting, the national exposure, etc. Even with the deck heavily stacked in his favor, he only had 1 season with 0 conferences losses, would yearly lose games he should win. Harsin was just ok. He didn't dominate like he should have. 

Utah by contrast was a decent but nothing special program in the mtwest. Urban took them to greatness. He took a losing record team to 10-2 in year 1 and then in year 2 smoked major P5 competition to a perfect season ranked 4th.

Harsin had 1 season as big time football at UTA then bolted for a downgraded job. Harsin was at Boise for 6 years. Urban 2 at Utah. They literally couldn't have the same record.  

But maybe you meant to include bowling green in your urban discussion where he took a winless bowling green coached by good ol Leoffler to an 8-3 team the next year. 

Let's not pretend in any world that Hardin and urban belong in the same conversation on ability and results. 

Edited by GunsmithAU
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

At some point there is going to be a revolution at Auburn and the wrong people are going to lose their influence. It’s coming, I can assure that. It happened at Bama in 07. 

I don't see any revolution coming.  I don't want a revolution.

If you got money, you've got access. 

I'm glad we got to see what a Harsin hire looks like.  The "bad apples" wanted Steele, and he would have been a better recruiter and probably failed as an AU head coach.  The next AD will align their money with a coach that has knowledge of the SEC.   

Most of this power grab conversation goes away once we hire a great football coach, and he starts winning.  Once we get that guy, we have to worry about being placed on probation.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Builder said:

No doubt there is dysfunction at AU. It starts at the top with our President, now and in the past  allowing a  few members of the BOT to sniff the jocks at Jordan Hare. Harsin is an outsider , not easily influenced who I hope stays and eventually wins. 

Harsin triggered all of this with his lack of knowledge about recruiting and how he didn't make friends with the "few members of the BOT."  That is cause for firing in my book.  He was not qualified to coach at Auburn.  It was like Tuberville hiring Tony Franklin or Chizik switching from the spread without a great OC or QB.  These things didn't fit, and they caused upheaval. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 3

12 hours ago, WFE12 said:

That's laughable. He'd never make the posting deadline due to deleting tweets...

Edited by Swamp Eagle

23 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

He lost five straight games at Auburn.  That had never happened with him before as a head coach.  

5 minutes ago, Builder said:

Your cause for firing him is based on Harsin not making friends with a Yellow Dick in a cowboy outfit? We didnt need a fit, we needed change. Harsin was it. I thought Greene was who we needed as well but cant speak for his performance. With Him having a General watching over his shoulder we will never know. 

I do know this, no matter how bad we may suck, we need to stick with Harsin and ride it out. Right now AU is a clown school for new hires. 

So never know if he was good or bad because of the General? Do we know about the General? Just trying to keep up with this logic. 

13 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Greene has been whining to White, so White puts out a tweet trying to defend him. 

Those that talk about: this is a blackeye, or a bad look? Realize Auburn was going to let him stay for his entire contract? Even when he was talked to about not showing up for work, not showing for certain events etc. If he’d have got one of the several jobs he interviewed for, or one of the jobs he wanted to interview for, he would’ve been gone a little over a calendar year after hire. But nobody else wanted him.  Auburn was willing to let him finish his contract, while the General was doing his job. BSPN evidently doesn’t know that.

I don’t think he was ever given full control over the Athletics department, he walked into a hornet’s nest. He was an outsider. A lot of traditional Auburn people who did not care much for Leath off the cusp, and did not like Greene because he was Leath’s non traditional hire. It is always a problem with certain hires at Auburn and all my life as an Auburn grad and fan the AD department specifically football has had issues. Always some foolish 🤬 going on. Now Auburn has a coach sitting with no support besides from players, and people wonder why the class is where it is. I’m actually surprised it is where it’s at. Just like many in this post have said Greene’s departure has been a forgone conclusion for a while you don’t think opposing coaches, recruits, HS coaches, handlers etc don’t say the same about Harsin. I would have preferred they just had paid and let him go in February instead of dragging the obvious for another season, and rest at the feet of a new AD.

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I don’t think he was ever given full control over the Athletics department, he walked into a hornet’s nest. He was an outsider. A lot of traditional Auburn people who did not care much for Leath off the cusp, and did not like Greene because he was Leath’s non traditional hire. It is always a problem with certain hires at Auburn and all my life as an Auburn grad and fan the AD department specifically football has had issues. Always some foolish 🤬 going on. Now Auburn has a coach sitting with no support besides from players, and people wonder why the class is where it is. I’m actually surprised it is where it’s at. Just like many in this post have said Greene’s departure has been a forgone conclusion for a while you don’t think opposing coaches, recruits, HS coaches, handlers etc don’t say the same about Harsin. I would have preferred they just had paid and let him go in February instead of dragging the obvious for another season, and rest at the feet of a new AD.

That’s because there is/was no way that if you believe that this is the last year for CBH, that Greene was going to be around to make that hire.  Just wasn’t going to happen.   

Re: the budget issues laid at Green’s feet 

From what I have been told, the budget was given to ADAG and he had no control over the spending. He was told here’s your budget Spend less and

he couldn’t tell other coaches “hey sorry the buyout from the football program is affecting the budget every where else.” My conjecture as to the reason for the low budget. 

Edited by Didba
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

"Fit" is one of those things thats necessary at non-toxic employers and workplaces. 

Yeah well what you think is a good enough for a “for cause” firing and what an Judge/Arbitrator thinks are drastically different. 

10 hours ago, au4life77 said:

I'm not going to go through all that and respond. All I will say is we would have won 8 or 9 games last year, including the Iron Bowl,  if Nix had not got hurt.

But I’m sure Nix was also some terrible cancer were so happy to be rid of, right?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

So never know if he was good or bad because of the General? Do we know about the General? Just trying to keep up with this logic. 

Rumor was that the General was watching over ADAG’s shoulder at all times. 

Just now, AUwent said:

But I’m sure Nix was also some terrible cancer were so happy to be rid of, right?

Tank said it not me

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

If we can get another that is again removed from the Dye boys then we will move into this century. If not, and we hire someone like Tim Jackson, then we will be behind the Mississippi schools for a while.  This is the chance we have to align everything and everyone.

This.

If we do hire Tim Jackson, I'll be reevaluating my fandom.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

This.

If we do hire Tim Jackson, I'll be reevaluating my fandom.

Tim Jackson next AD. Will Muschamp next HC. What would you do then? lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Tim Jackson next AD. Will Muschamp next HC. What would you do then? lol.

We’d be a joke in the CFB community 

• Haha 1