A needed read...

bigbird

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Tim Jackson is the epitome of good ole boy. So no you should not spend that to a positive. 

If Tim Jackson becomes AD, I'm going to be more than a little bit upset. God knows we don't need a total Yes Man in the position.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, alexava said:

I keep asking if he was really not coming to work. I don’t know what happened. I know it’s been rumor here for a year or two that he’s not going to be here long. He has interviewed for other jobs. You don’t get to the level he is if you are lazy or a slacker. If he stopped coming to work he basically either quit or was being worked around. I don’t know any high achievers under 70 that quit going to work ( more than a couple weeks)because of the pandemic. People keep talking as if he was wrongfully fired. In actuality it seems he quit, a while ago. I don’t have any idea how his race has anything to do with it. He was already black when he was hired. We need to leave that alone. 

Well, for starters, I will say that my older brother is a marketing executive for a regional communications company, and he started working remotely during COVID and, to my knowledge, never stopped. Not that he never goes into the office, just that he figured out how to do his job efficiently and productively while working from home, so he does so frequently (at least in part so he can work with my nephew, a high school junior getting college interest as a catcher).

That having been said, while I don't actually remember hearing reports of Greene not coming in for work, I do remember, and I thought it was pretty common knowledge, that General Burgess had to come in and get everything straight to make sure we didn't let arguably the best thing to ever happen to Auburn athletics (Bruce Pearl) slip away because we were pinching pennies too closely.

His race has something to do with it because race always has something to do with high profile positions in the South when that position is filled by a person of color. It was a bit of a shock to me years back when my favorite pro team, the Steelers, hired a black head coach, and nobody batted an eye. Made me proud to be a Steelers fan. 

Now, Greene's race shouldn't have had anything to do with it, and I dearly wish we could all get to a point where the only race we see is human. But in some parts of the world, the part of the world your ancestors were from still holds sway, so we're all forced to deal with it, whether we want to or not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

All those are valid questions. Couldn't we also challenge the lazy, didn't show up, had to have a baby sitter, other people made all of the good decision stuff as well? Why is it the only stuff that make people upset is questioning why he was let go?

Absolutely.  Like I said, the part about lazy, not showing up is more of throwing crap against a wall to see if it sticks..My point is fairly simple. Maybe he wasn't happy and he wanted out. It's possible that the boosters made him so miserable after he bucked them and hired Harsin that he had enuf. We simply don't know. I liked the guy personally. He was always well spoken and seemed to represent AU well. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cbo said:

You're right. I shouldn't have used the word "fired." 

From everything I've read, it was clear about a year ago that his contract would not be renewed. Have you ever interviewed for another job while still at your current job? It happens all the time because it is literally the best way to advance in your career. 

He was fired, he resigned, they agreed to part ways, whatever. With everything I said in that post, I'm surprised you think that's the most salient point to make.

Once again, my point on this is simple. Maybe Greene wasn't happy and wanted out. Why does it have to be some deep seeded reason??.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

And the AD that oversaw all of this at Buffalo? Auburn’s A.D. for five years!

Your references indicate AG was a bad hire. And he was hired by Leath who was let go as well. The common thread is the BOT who strongly endorsed both. They need to make better decisions. 

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/greene-s-presence-impresses-search-committee

https://www.wsfa.com/story/34954254/auburn-trustees-select-new-university-president/?outputType=amp

“You’re weighing years of experience vs. talent, and when the talent walked in you saw it. And he’s good,” Riggins said. “You also wanted some validation of what you saw and he’s worked for two sitting athletic directors who are outstanding in their field.

“When Kevin White came back and said of all the athletic directors he’s mentored or helped become leaders at Universities — and I think there’s about 10 including his son at Central Florida — Allen Greene is the best out of that group. That says a lot.”

“I heard, the committee heard, over and over again about Allen Greene. Everywhere I went, people I talked to in other states, people I knew in the athletics committee from my time and service on NCAA boards, said, 'You need to look at this guy.' And we did,” Leath said.

“They kept saying things like, 'He's a superstar. He's truly an elite leader. If you don't hire him, Steve, you'll regret this.' That resonated with me. One sitting AD told me this could be the best hire you make as president. Those are the kinds of things we heard about Allen. So the really good news is we got him.”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

Once again mods on here and admin just literally did the exact same thing. 

The difference?

i-make-this-look-good-will-smith.gif 

13 hours ago, au302 said:

Where is your proof? If you have some and can provide it, I'll gladly accept it and change my tune. And not "an insider/my sources said so". Until then it has not merit.

Sources - "Trust me bro."  😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Absolutely.  Like I said, the part about lazy, not showing up is more of throwing crap against a wall to see if it sticks..My point is fairly simple. Maybe he wasn't happy and he wanted out. It's possible that the boosters made him so miserable after he bucked them and hired Harsin that he had enuf. We simply don't know. I liked the guy personally. He was always well spoken and seemed to represent AU well. 

Right. And it could be. Once again my point is you don't read anywhere me saying he was fired because he was black. I showed a pattern and told what is starting to be said. And if we are going to speculate why is it that many can say the lazy stuff not knowing, but I didn't even say the race stuff but look at how angry everybody got.

Majority of the people who aren't black so they literally wouldn't know what experiences people of color are having in the first place but have no problem becoming angry and speaking for the country saying it doesn't exist. But anyway I know why....it is what it is. I'm sure if we did a demographic check on this board the majority would be middle aged white men from the south. It is what it is. 

But no matter what the FACTS are black people are looking at some weird activity asking what is up while our competitors are making efforts to say we are open to your culture and the sports athletesare 70% of that demographic.  Times past it was you guys are coming from poverty and this is your one and only shot so put up with stuff.......that's the past now it's not as many coming from poverty and there are more ways to come out of poverty so it's not a you need me as much and you are going to have to be more inviting to EVERYBODY. That's it. That's fact. Hell it's not like we have 30 banners hanging up.....who says the past way was the best anyway?

But anyway that's another topic. On this topic everybody is speculating and it shouldn't be a problem to point out that it's very weird that these highly esteemed men are coming in being let go and have the crazy stories about their performance that completely goes against their character. But nobody questions that. Nobody says that can't be true. But let the thought of race come up there's no problem with multiple people coming in saying they can vouch for several people they haven't ever met! There's no race problems. Gtfoh they don't know just like anybody else do

7 hours ago, alexava said:

I keep asking if he was really not coming to work. I don’t know what happened. I know it’s been rumor here for a year or two that he’s not going to be here long. He has interviewed for other jobs. You don’t get to the level he is if you are lazy or a slacker. If he stopped coming to work he basically either quit or was being worked around. I don’t know any high achievers under 70 that quit going to work ( more than a couple weeks)because of the pandemic. People keep talking as if he was wrongfully fired. In actuality it seems he quit, a while ago. I don’t have any idea how his race has anything to do with it. He was already black when he was hired. We need to leave that alone. 

Of course. You never do

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Your references indicate AG was a bad hire. And he was hired by Leath who was let go as well. The common thread is the BOT who strongly endorsed both. They need to make better decisions. 

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/greene-s-presence-impresses-search-committee

https://www.wsfa.com/story/34954254/auburn-trustees-select-new-university-president/?outputType=amp

“You’re weighing years of experience vs. talent, and when the talent walked in you saw it. And he’s good,” Riggins said. “You also wanted some validation of what you saw and he’s worked for two sitting athletic directors who are outstanding in their field.

“When Kevin White came back and said of all the athletic directors he’s mentored or helped become leaders at Universities — and I think there’s about 10 including his son at Central Florida — Allen Greene is the best out of that group. That says a lot.”

“I heard, the committee heard, over and over again about Allen Greene. Everywhere I went, people I talked to in other states, people I knew in the athletics committee from my time and service on NCAA boards, said, 'You need to look at this guy.' And we did,” Leath said.

“They kept saying things like, 'He's a superstar. He's truly an elite leader. If you don't hire him, Steve, you'll regret this.' That resonated with me. One sitting AD told me this could be the best hire you make as president. Those are the kinds of things we heard about Allen. So the really good news is we got him.”

Leath knew how to blow smoke.  I wouldn't trust the fellow.  Of course, he is going to say good things about a new hire.  Greene was a good AD in some aspects, but we "have to get our proud house in order." 

i just want to know the answer to this. if greene was asked to trim the budget why does everyone seem to get mad at him { auburn coaches } and not who ordered greene was instructed to do this?there was also covid messing things up.i believe there is either a lot more to this story than is being said. but info is all over the place and that is what i hate about auburn. greene hired bruce. oh wait that is not true. greene saved bruces job. well that might not be true. so bruce went out and told his bosses boss he was displeased because green saved his job? that makes no sense. i think the truth is greene is a good guy that wants to move up the ladder and there is not one thing wrong with that. also the fact he has put in for several AD jobs at other schools and no one is interested also sounds like something that might have been made up. Greene had tons of accolades from some very creditable before he got here and all of a sudden he is not what we are told? i do not believe that at the moment.

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2022 at 10:59 AM, cole256 said:

What's more worn out and detrimental to this school is the term Auburn man. Nothing has hurt us more imo. This notion that we are better than everybody else has really set us back

The first time I remember hearing “Auburn Man” was used for Kodi who failed at QB but wanted to help the team no matter what his role was so he moved to WR.  He ended up playing a big role in Auburn’s national championship.  I’ve always thought of it as doing whatever is needed to help Auburn.  Only thing elitist about that is attitude.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

and not who ordered greene was instructed to do this

That’s the million dollar question isn’t it?

Also, if he just didn’t show up to work why was he allowed to do this for an extended period time without reprimand?

When I asked these questions I get called condescending, of course. I probably come off that way because I consider this “common sense” questions but what do I know ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i just want to know the answer to this. if greene was asked to trim the budget why does everyone seem to get mad at him { auburn coaches } and not who ordered greene was instructed to do this?there was also covid messing things up.i believe there is either a lot more to this story than is being said. but info is all over the place and that is what i hate about auburn. greene hired bruce. oh wait that is not true. greene saved bruces job. well that might not be true. so bruce went out and told his bosses boss he was displeased because green saved his job? that makes no sense. i think the truth is greene is a good guy that wants to move up the ladder and there is not one thing wrong with that. also the fact he has put in for several AD jobs at other schools and no one is interested also sounds like something that might have been made up. Greene had tons of accolades from some very creditable before he got here and all of a sudden he is not what we are told? i do not believe that at the moment.

Greene was not asked to trim the budget.  He was giving a trimmed budget and told "make it work".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Bingo. I asked this question about the budget when that rumor first started and people became upset. 

If Greene actually did that with the budget it's because he was told and if it was actually followed thru then somebody had to sign it off to do so

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

Greene was not asked to trim the budget.  He was giving a trimmed budget and told "make it work".

theory is the same in that greene had a boss and has to make him happy at the end of the day or lose his job right?

• Like 1

I was pretty tired last night when the discussion was occurring so I didn't chime in.

After thinking on it, this is how I see it when people bring race up.

As a white man who doesn't know chit about the struggles @cole256 alluded to, I defer to them when they feel it needs to be brought up.  If they think/feel something fishy is going on then by all means please highlight it for the rest of us. They have a better barometer for these things than any of us do.  Simply dismissing their concerns as "oh here comes XYZ bringing up the race card" reinforces the vicious cycle and issues that Cole/others are trying to point out. 

These are important issues to be discussed.  We should all welcome their perspective with an open mind so that we might learn from each other.  I think @cbo stated good points regarding this and I agree with his reasoning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Bingo. I asked this question about the budget when that rumor first started and people became upset. 

If Greene actually did that with the budget it's because he was told and if it was actually followed thru then somebody had to sign it off to do so

i will always think greene was doing his job as he was asked to. and i would need proof beyond doubt if he was not. i think he wanted to better himself getting a better job and got smeared for it. i think reporters are to blame as well. if there is no news there is click bait and i see it getting worse every single day. in the meantime greene is getting smeared and he might have to take a lesser job because of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i will always think greene was doing his job as he was asked to. and i would need proof beyond doubt if he was not. i think he wanted to better himself getting a better job and got smeared for it. i think reporters are to blame as well. if there is no news there is click bait and i see it getting worse every single day. in the meantime greene is getting smeared and he might have to take a lesser job because of it.

If I be completely honest I literally don't know what to think. But nobody can say that a bunch of the variables in this story don't really add up are make complete sense. 

So in my opinion should be matter of factly telling anybody it can't be this or that and everybody should be open to discussions. That's my two cents.

But my overall point is I hope whatever problems we have get solved because we're starting to get a reputation that we really really really don't want to have.

• Like 1

my thoughts are if greene is getting the shaft on all this do not be surprised if he decides to take his reputation to court to protect it. if someone smeared me trying to ruin my rep and i had the money i would look at it long and hard.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If I be completely honest I literally don't know what to think. But nobody can say that a bunch of the variables in this story don't really add up are make complete sense. 

So in my opinion should be matter of factly telling anybody it can't be this or that and everybody should be open to discussions. That's my two cents.

But my overall point is I hope whatever problems we have get solved because we're starting to get a reputation that we really really really don't want to have.

i know it sounds dumb to most people but auburn is truly my heart. i hate the mudslinging and crap going on. if it hurts auburn it hurts me. i lived with some horrible crap growing up and auburn was the one place i knew i was loved and safe. so it has always been more than a team or a game. i think racism is on the rise as is  overall anger. i wish we could take this to the pols board as i am surprised this has not been shutdown. i will say click bait is hurting things and making them worse.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

my thoughts are if greene is getting the shaft on all this do not be surprised if he decides to take his reputation to court to protect it. if someone smeared me trying to ruin my rep and i had the money i would look at it long and hard.

I am not sure it would go that far.  Greene wasn't fired months into his contract.  He had the opportunity to finish his entire contract, even when stepping down it is only three months from the contract expiration anyways.  If Roberts was not satisfied, he has the opportunity to bring in his own person, just like an head coach would with his assistants.  There were many factors leading to Roberts' decision, but I don't think any of them were malicious.  I think after Saturday's game, most will have moved on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rednilla said:

If Tim Jackson becomes AD, I'm going to be more than a little bit upset. God knows we don't need a total Yes Man in the position.

do you ever hear the big boys look at nick and kirby and say we are doing it wrong and seriously looking to change the way we do thing?