Game 1 Depth Chart Released

Zeek

8 minutes ago, cbo said:

That starting D is no joke. 

Can someone tell me about Jake Levant? I'm ashamed to say I didn't even recognize the name. And he's listed alongside Asante. 

Walk on linebacker that just recently got a scholarship. There was a post with a pretty good video of him getting the scholarship. You could probably google his name and find it.

From what I read, he was a 3 star out of high school and had offers to UAB, Tulane, and several Ivy League schools but wanted to come here because of family history.

Edited by nurbis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel like every year  coaches come out and say don’t take depth charts too seriously. I’m sure Landen King is gone play and play a lot and not just in the red zone, we didn’t get rid of Gus just to see another coach start pigeonholing players again 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I feel like every year  coaches come out and say don’t take depth charts too seriously. I’m sure Landen King is gone play and play a lot and not just in the red zone, we didn’t get rid of Gus just to see another coach start pigeonholing players again 

AMEN to that! Although I do think will be his quickest route to PT until he gets more acclimated to the position

17 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Correct-a-mundo. Managed a few INTs and has really earned it.

That’s pretty dang cool. We going to need people to step up big time

• Like 1

I know that it has been talked about ad nauseum but…….that OL. Man, our inability to recruit that position group is absolutely baffling. When is the last time we had a solid OL with all AU recruits (ie. no transfers, even before the portal)? It has to have been 2014. Oh well, hoping for some solid, well-coached looking football this year

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Stud

55 Eku Leota, 6-4, 257, SR

Love the position name. Fits!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Love the position name. Fits!

Goes well with Hard for Hars

• Haha 1

Finley's talk with the press after the announcement was quite good.  Very good understanding of what he needs to do and sounds like he spent a tremendous amount of time in the film room with situational scenarios.  

I know Jones was a little nicked up  I think thats why Stutts is listed over there, I bet Stutts get playing time at both guard spots.   Council coming off another injury, maybe he is healthy now, I dont think he was much of last season and hence the performance.  

Overall this should be a pretty good line, better in performance than last year.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

While i do believe that is wishful thinking, we do only list 3 wr slots. We should still go 4 and 5 wide many times this year. 

Yeah, we are kind'a thin at the TE spot. Definitely not a position of strength on offense.

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

Shed Jackson really 6-2?   He never seems that tall to me.  Doesn’t matter, just curious.   I know these measurables always seem off a little.  

Go get em boys!  Game week.  WDE

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Where is Landon King?

I've been beat over the head for mentioning that King is a TE who is being plugged in as a WR. But fact is, he ain't a WR -- at least not yet. So everybody beat me over the head some more, because Landon King is not a WR.

54 minutes ago, trinidad tiger said:

Finley's talk with the press after the announcement was quite good.  Very good understanding of what he needs to do and sounds like he spent a tremendous amount of time in the film room with situational scenarios.  

I know Jones was a little nicked up  I think thats why Stutts is listed over there, I bet Stutts get playing time at both guard spots.   Council coming off another injury, maybe he is healthy now, I dont think he was much of last season and hence the performance.  

Overall this should be a pretty good line, better in performance than last year.  

Man I hope you are right!!! A lot is riding

on that groups performance 

I'm not familiar with the #1 Center Tate. I know that not everyone loved Brahms, but the Center position is a lot more than just blocking. It is maybe the most intellectually demanding position on offense, up there with QB. Brahms was maybe not the most talented physically, but he had a load of experience calling the offensive front.

I'm not familiar with Tate. He seems a little undersized, but that is of lesser concern. Can he get the challenging job done at Center? Can anyone tell me about him?

2 hours ago, cbo said:

That starting D is no joke. 

Can someone tell me about Jake Levant? I'm ashamed to say I didn't even recognize the name. And he's listed alongside Asante. 

Walked on and recently awarded a scholarship. Turned down a scholarship to UAB. Coaches seem to think highly of him. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AURex said:

I'm not familiar with the #1 Center Tate. I know that not everyone loved Brahms, but the Center position is a lot more than just blocking. It is maybe the most intellectually demanding position on offense, up there with QB. Brahms was maybe not the most talented physically, but he had a load of experience calling the offensive front.

I'm not familiar with Tate. He seems a little undersized, but that is of lesser concern. Can he get the challenging job done at Center? Can anyone tell me about him?

Smart kid, quite undersized but strong, was one of our most vocal recruiters in his signing class. Loves Auburn.

Downside: he's a downgrade and can't match the experience of a 6th year seniors

Upside: we start developing a guy we desperately need to be serviceable next year

Hopefully the experience around him will help. He beat out a lot of older guys for the spot.

Listening to Brahms interview, he let the  coaches know quite a while back that he did not think he would be able to go.  Tried hyperbaric, stem cell, said he  had problems pushing off from his stance and just the wear and tear over the years taking its toll.

Knowing this the coaches were preparing for it.  They did not move Council to center and put Stutts at guard.  They did not give an inordinate amount of reps to Irvin.  So its pretty  obvious they thought Johnson was our best option.  He was at 315 pounds when he signed a few years ago and now at 285, looks like pretty good weight, and I noticed Harsin and TJ pointed out his  physical strength so he must not be a stranger to the  weight room.  I like the choice, little piss to go with the vinegar eh.

• Like 1