Why wouldn’t you start Ashford in Week 2?

RunInRed

Said in the game thread, but our QB situation is going to be a work in progress and require a lot of patience. There’s no great QB on this team. Who ever we put back there is going to have moments, and probably games where he struggles, especially when we get into the meat of our schedule. I’m glad Robbie had some bright spots tonight, but it likely won’t be all sunshine and roses with him, either. 

As far as who starts, possessions are precious for this offense. They always are, but this is not an offense that is going to be able to go score points in bunches. It will need to suck the marrow out of every single possession for us to win a lot of football games this year. IMO, this job is wide open. 

Edited by Barnacle
  • Like 8

Nobody should be team anybody. Let the best man win. This looks different for everyone. T.J. threw more passes and for the most part had command and felt composed. Yes he had bad turnovers. Robby showed everyone he has speed. He had a couple of good throws and he also had a duck. The thing is now people will game plan for him. They are going to force him to pass. I am intrigued to see what the coaching staff will do with him further down the road now. A lot of excitement.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Really hard to judge at this point. TJ's ball has zip, which you need to complete passes in tight windows. But throwing to the other team is not good. Ashford's ball looks a okay, he didn't throw an int, but there will be teams in the future that can cover the run and he'll need to prove he can make all the throws. It's wait and see for me. 

One more "tune up game" before the real season starts. I imagine San Jose is a step or two above Mercer. Hopefully TJ cleans up his act before Penn St. If not, THEN you have to look at making a change. 

• Like 1

TJ's work thus far in off season and preseason has earned him more than two strikes and he's out. Why does it have to be a controversy? Robby can still play and develop along the way but you will absolutely lose TJ if you were to switch starters this quickly and then what would you do if Robby struggled? 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I agree with @gr82be   I believe it’s way too early to change starting QBs. Let the competition continue.  We haven’t faced a strong team yet. It does appear that we might have won in the AU/Oregon QB exchange, though.  Poor Bo.  🤦‍♀️

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, gr82be said:

TJ's work thus far in off season and preseason has earned him more than two strikes and he's out. Why does it have to be a controversy? Robby can still play and develop along the way but you will absolutely lose TJ if you were to switch starters this quickly and then what would you do if Robby struggled? 

Yep, same game plan next wk

Scariest thing with TJ is he hesitated which led to the second pick. Once you second guess yourself as a qb you’re done. Everything else he did great. Both QBs will have their opportunities week 2. Robby showed a lot of upside but the delay ruined the additional passing opportunities I would have liked to have seen. 

I would definitely go TJ as starter next week and run a similar game plan. If he throws more picks, then play Ashford more. 

Assuming they both have their ups and downs, I'd make Penn State prepare for both of them and keep a similar game plan to last night until someone separates themselves.

To do this though, we need to see Robby throw a bit more.

• Like 6

I wouldn’t put to much stock in a first game we don’t get to see practice.  TJ did look better in the pocket and more confident than he was last year.  The first pick was a great play by the defender, however, the second pick was totally atrocious.   He locked on on his primary receiver and threw it right into coverage like the defenders weren’t even there.  Robby obviously brings something TJ doesn’t he’s definitely got some wheels.   You can’t discount what has gone on all through spring and fall practice because of one horrible play by TJ but that having been said you have to give props to Robby.  When the lights came on he made some great runs and a beautiful long throw.  I think we will see them splitting playing time for the next few weeks but based on the first sample in a real game Robby wins the eye test.  

The thing is T.J. physical build is a dream for NFL scouts. He also has great zip on the ball. He just has to grow on his reads and keep his confidence up. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I agree with @gr82be   I believe it’s way too early to change starting QBs. Let the competition continue.  We haven’t faced a strong team yet. It does appear that we might have won in the AU/Oregon QB exchange, though.  Poor Bo.  🤦‍♀️

Wait till we play Georgia to make that claim 

• Like 2

TJ just looks awkward out there. Robby needs more reps next week but yeah he will probably start against PSU. 

Second pick was bad like has been mentioned. Idk I just want to see TJ dominate and I don’t know if that’s really possible. 

Edited by woodford

10 hours ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

Do it. Sure, he’s a bit raw and doesn’t have experience, but neither did i when i started my career, and i made sure i worked my tail off to be successful. 

I like TJ, but his performance tonight was, just, ok.  And being ok vs Mercer is not a good thing. 

Robby brings more dynamics to the Auburn offense. 

who did you play for?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The thing is T.J. physical build is a dream for NFL scouts. He also has great zip on the ball. He just has to grow on his reads and keep his confidence up. 

i love a running qb but i do not want to put any hoo doo on tj. as far as i can tell from just a fans view it appears we made some serious improvement from last year in all phases of the game.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Nobody should be team anybody. Let the best man win. This looks different for everyone. T.J. threw more passes and for the most part had command and felt composed. Yes he had bad turnovers. Robby showed everyone he has speed. He had a couple of good throws and he also had a duck. The thing is now people will game plan for him. They are going to force him to pass. I am intrigued to see what the coaching staff will do with him further down the road now. A lot of excitement.

Robby makes the offense more dynamic, pure and simple. The only reason to start TJ would be if he’s a dramatically better passer. We saw last night that he isn’t. Start the guy that defenses will have to account for on the ground. 

• Haha 1