Why wouldn’t you start Ashford in Week 2?

RunInRed

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Because TJ is the starter.  He was chosen as such for a reason.  Robby may surpass TJ at some point. I'd be thrilled, but there was a reason after months of extensive tracking that TJ earned the spot.

Switching now demonstrates that there is no margin for error, no room for mistakes, and no redemption.  Mistakes happen during games. Coaches know it and players certainly know it.  Players are also hyperaware how their coach handles those things.  Teaching moments are such because of the opportunity provided.

TJ starts, but continue to develop and compete everyday. We know whoever steps out there will have proven why to both their coaches and their teammates.

Again, if Robby excels and takes over for TJ great!  If TJ gets fired up, works his butt off, and holds off the challengers, Great! 

What's best for Auburn to win is what I want and it's what CBH, the players, and the fans wants. It's not or shouldn't be, personal.

That might not be a bad thing with this group. It’s often the reality of football - in many SEC games there isn’t a margin for error, you throw 2 picks in a game and you’re cooked. I love TJ as a person but we won’t play as worse team all year than last night, and the picks were pretty bad.

We don’t have time to string anybody along by the hand. Better to give Robby a game against SJSU to prep for Penn State. 

I liked what I saw from Ashford, but TJ won the job in the fall, and I think he deserves the start next week with a game plan that also includes Ashford getting an equal amount of consecutive series.

The results from Fall Camp have to count for something, and coach Harsin had no hesitation in declaring TJ a much improved starter.  He deserves to weather a really bad play and get another chance next week.  If not, future AU QB prospects are gonna be as reluctant to come here as new AU coaching prospects.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Robby makes the offense more dynamic, pure and simple. The only reason to start TJ would be if he’s a dramatically better passer. We saw last night that he isn’t. Start the guy that defenses will have to account for on the ground. 

It is not as black and white as you want to make it, once again. Yes RA is a dynamic player. Yes he has a lot of potential, but we don't know what he can do fully. Teams will game plan much more and see if he can pass. You cannot be successful thinking the QB is simply going to beat you with your legs. He had a great deep ball pass and some instances where he made good short yard passes. However, he also had a duck deep ball pass with two defenders draped one a player. So, yes we need another game to truly see this. Basing things off one game is extremely short sighted per usual. And I absolutely like RA. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Wait till we play Georgia to make that claim 

Still wouldn't be apples to apples since Bo is a four year starter. I think @3rdgenerationmight be correct. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

It is not as black and white as you want to make it, once again. Yes RA is a dynamic player. Yes he has a lot of potential, but we don't know what he can do fully. Teams will game plan much more and see if he can pass. You cannot be successful thinking the QB is simply going to beat you with your legs. He had a great deep ball pass and some instances where he made good short yard passes. However, he also had a duck deep ball pass with two defenders draped one a player. So, yes we need another game to truly see this. Basing things off one game is extremely short sighted per usual. And I absolutely like RA. 

Okay. TJ threw two unpressured picks to Mercer and had some accuracy issues. He had a few good balls. But what the two put on film last night was:

Finley - inconsistent passer with no mobility and capable of big mistakes.

Ashford - inconsistent passer who can beat you with his legs.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t start the DT quarterback unless the pocket passer is a dramatically better thrower. TJ isn’t.

Should also be noted our OL did not open any holes against Mercer last night. Ashford’s threat with the read may be our only hope at creating lanes and getting the ground game going. How he changes the run game is the biggest upside he offers, IMO.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 4

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Okay. TJ threw two unpressured picks to Mercer and had some accuracy issues. He had a few good balls. But what the two put on film last night was:

Finley - inconsistent passer with no mobility and capable of big mistakes.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t start the DT quarterback unless the pocket passer is a dramatically better thrower. TJ isn’t.

Should also be noted our OL did not open any holes against Mercer last night. Ashford’s threat with the read may be our only hope at creating lanes and getting the ground game going. How he changes the run game is the biggest upside he offers, IMO.

Definitely disagree with your assessment.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Should also be noted our OL did not open any holes against Mercer last night.

I noticed that. A true miracle we could still run for 285 yards and average 7 yards per carry. 

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

had some accuracy issues

He completed like 75% of his passes with one terrible drop.

That's what we call accuracy issues?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t start the DT quarterback

Feel like too many ppl get wrapped up in a running QB as if he's going to be able to just dominate SEC teams with his legs when they stack the box and know he can't beat them passing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Feel like too many ppl get wrapped up in a running QB as if he's going to be able to just dominate SEC teams with his legs when they stack the box and know he can't beat them passing 

People will have to learn the hard way. Then they will turn on the player when their own ideas don't come to fruition. Like no, if JF3, a world class athlete couldn't solely run all over the SEC at the QB position, RA isn't doing it either. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

I expect both will get equal playing time next week and we will see who the true starter is come Penn state. That will be the first high stakes game and harsin will start with the qb that he feels gives us the best shot at that point

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I noticed that. A true miracle we could still run for 285 yards and average 7 yards per carry. 

Almost every significant run we had was bounced outside. My biggest takeaway last night is I’m concerned this OL isn’t going to be what we need in the run game.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be mad at a McNamara/McCarthy thing 

just because you can have watched this OL and Finley and know there’s a pretty defined ceiling in how’s that’s holding up vs the tier 1 DLs in conference. Might as well get a real idea of how Robby would perform with a real gameplan 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

RA didn't just knock the dude down, he looked to have had some choice words for him as well as he went by. Watch him bend over as he runs off the screen......I like that in a QB. 

21 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He completed like 75% of his passes with one terrible drop.

That's what we call accuracy issues?

If you are talking about Finley, I saw 9/14 in the box stats.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

People will have to learn the hard way. Then they will turn on the player when their own ideas don't come to fruition. Like no, if JF3, a world class athlete couldn't solely run all over the SEC at the QB position, RA isn't doing it either. 

Agree. I'd like a QB that can throw the ball.

This isn't 2013 with Nick Marshall and an elite OL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Against Mercer? Yes.

Lmao. We expect QBs to hit 100% of their passes now.

Bryce Young now sucks bc he didn't complete 95% of his passes vs Utah State. 65% isn't going to cut it for a Heisman winner

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

Lmao. We expect QBs to hit 100% of their passes now.

Bryce Young now sucks bc he didn't complete 95% of his passes vs Utah State. 65% isn't going to cut it for a Heisman winner

The funny thing is that works both ways. Yes RA is an athlete but he ran all over, wait for it? MERCER. The point being, yes TJ had a couple of bad decisions but last game did no way say he was an inaccurate passer nor did he show RA to be even a remotely consistent passer for a starter. It is one game with a lot of good stuff and noticeably things we need to work on. I do not know how anyone can watch that game and conclude on practically anything of this team besides we look a lot more cohesive and discipline all around as a unit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1