Why wouldn’t you start Ashford in Week 2?

RunInRed

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I didn't really pay attention to body language, so maybe I missed that.  Until the picks, the offense seemed to flow well, even with the rotations.

That's how I was kinda basing it

Gotcha and agree about offense.

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The problem is we only have 1 game to figure it out. If it's Ashford he needs as much work as possible. This week in practice and next Saturday. That's the dilemma Harsin has

If one week is the difference in RA being ready or not, he’s not ready. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You two are acting like this was TJ’s first game. It’s year 3 for him in the SEC. He’s had well established accuracy issues. Everybody was hoping that had improved but it doesn’t appear it has. At least not dramatically. 

But this was very literally RA’s first game. If both suck at passing (which we truly don’t know how good a passer RA is, but just to give you the benefit of the doubt), at least use the guy who adds a running dimension. 

I am not acting like anything . In fact I was very critical of TJ last night . I just refuse to conclude and qualify what a player is or isn’t after one game , like you seemingly are doing. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Base your offense on the zone read. When they start stacking the box, hit a few quick passes or go over the top to back then off. The run is open again. 

Yea . That would be nice. The problem is people do not know if RA can continuously do this, yet because they seen him hit a couple of passes, they are advocating for him to start. I would rather see him pass more before I push that narrative but that’s just me.

• Like 1

I don't know what is going on in the coach mind, 1 game against a lesser opponent doesn't mean that he can be a full time starter.  I remember last year when Findley came in and engineered the winning drive against Georgia State and many on this board were saying the same thing about Findley should be 1.

I don't know which 1 should be starting but it should be measured more with the quality of play against better competition.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You didn’t feel that at all last season?

I don't think Harsin was fully in charge/control of the team last season for a myriad of reasons. There were multiple sources of dysfunction.  

This year is different.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I don't think Harsin was fully in charge/control of the team last season for a myriad of reasons. There were multiple sources of dysfunction.  

This year is different.

100% truth!

• Thanks 1

I’m ok with playing both of them for a while.  

TJ knows the offense and our coaches are more comfortable calling anything in the playbook with him.  
RA is a legit spark plug!   He has the attitude and energy to go with his athleticism!

I'd probably give TJ another start next week and play Ashford about the same amount and see what happens.  But my gut tells me it's Ashford's job before too long.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Not just a block. He laid the dude down. Straight ran him over! That stood out to me

I just rewatched the play, Ash is not in the camera view and suddenly comes sprinting by Tank to make the block.   It appears that he sprinted about 20-25 yards to make the block.   And, he appears to be running a 4.3 40.

• Like 1

Normally, I would hate what Harsin is doing with rotating QBs, but in this particular case, I think it makes sense. Ashford's running prowess is undeniable, and it makes sense to bring him in occasionally. It just gives the defense more to think about and prepare for. If he is so good that he takes the job, then that is great. Better that way then being handed the keys and all the pressure that goes with it after not taking a snap for two years. And if TJ steps up, then that is good too, and we can just continue having some wildcat type of options with Robbie.   But I don't think TJ should lose the starting job (yet) over a couple of interceptions. That's a bad message to the team.  I did like what I saw out of Ashford on Saturday, and I hope it continues against the better competition.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Based on what.?

Ashford has a high ceiling. My answer to based on what is that he’s had two years at Oregon and all of spring, summer, and fall camp at AU to win the job. If he were ready to be the guy, he would have won the job. If Finley continues to have turnovers, I’m sure RA will be elevated to QB1. Having one extra week to prepare for PSU is not going to make or break him being ready. 

Edited by Gowebb11

Unfortunately it was reported by On3 that TJ had the most interceptions in fall camp. He, Calzada, and Holden were all roughly equal in comp %, and Calzada had least INT's while TJ had the most. RA was behind comp % but made up for it with his legs.

Where TJ won the job was on intangibles that Hars likes and knowing the offense the best. The other 3 were apparently struggling with the playbook. It's a complex playbook so I understand.

I like TJ. Great person, and he's improved accuracy wise, but it's more of a case right now of him holding onto the job rather than making it his, if that makes sense. Once others catch up playbook wise, he may lose his job. Both last night and in the spring game he had a chance to put his foot down and couldn't

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, au302 said:

Unfortunately it was reported by On3 that TJ had the most interceptions in fall camp. He, Calzada, and Holden were all roughly equal in comp %, and Calzada had least INT's while TJ had the most. RA was behind comp % but made up for it with his legs.

Where TJ won the job was on intangibles that Hars likes and knowing the offense the best. The other 3 were apparently struggling with the playbook. It's a complex playbook so I understand.

I like TJ. Great person, and he's improved accuracy wise, but it's more of a case right now of him holding onto the job rather than making it his, if that makes sense. Once others catch up playbook wise, he may lose his job. Both last night and in the spring game he had a chance to put his foot down and couldn't

I am no coach but if what  u saying is true I would rather a guy do something well and not turn over the ball putting the defense in a bad situation. It kind of defeats the purpose of knowing the plays  well but turning the ball over

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

Well against Mercer he showed he has running ability and could throw downfield without (observed) having to progress through receiver options. However, when SEC play begins those two options will get limited. The question for me is, does Ashford have an intermediate game. Can he exectute through a reciever progression, has the accuracty for timing/crossing routes, and has the quick release/velocity to fit tight windows. Ohter than running ability TJ looks to have an intermediate game. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I think the plays they ran when he was in were designed with him in mind.

Yes of course they were. But the original game plan was designed for TJ with Ash  coming in for a change of pace package here and there. I meant if they designed the starting package the other way around with a full game plan for Ash as the starter. I bet Ash would thrive and his dual ability would put a lot more pressure on the defense. That also opens things up for Tank as well as on certain pass routes, like when the DBs come up to stop the QB run. With a one dimensional QB they don't have to be concerned with that.

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Robby makes the offense more dynamic, pure and simple. The only reason to start TJ would be if he’s a dramatically better passer. We saw last night that he isn’t. Start the guy that defenses will have to account for on the ground. 

i like your logic but i would also rather them have to prepare for two qb's than one. robby will get his chance to shine either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Ashford has a high ceiling. My answer to based on what is that he’s had two years at Oregon and all of spring, summer, and fall camp at AU to win the job. If he were ready to be the guy, he would have won the job. If Finley continues to have turnovers, I’m sure RA will be elevated to QB1. Having one extra week to prepare for PSU is not going to make or break him being ready. 

Who played better Saturday? But at any rate. It will be the same game plan Saturday if for no other reason than to make Penn St prepare for both QBS

Edited by NWALA Tiger