Why wouldn’t you start Ashford in Week 2?

RunInRed

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Who played better Saturday?

Ashford. Just like Finley played better than Bo vs Georgia St last year. Doesn’t mean Finley was ready to win in Baton Rouge or Fayetteville or at home vs Ole Miss. Plenty of people were calling for that. I’m not arguing that Ashford may not be the best long term solution. He might be. But flashes of strong performance vs Mercer isn’t enough to determine that, in my opinion. FWIW, I just want AU to win. Doesn’t matter to me who QB1 is. 

• Like 4

Time will tell. TJ earned it…..he hasn’t lost it yet. 

• Like 2

It’s only one game, start TJ again.  Remember when we kept changing starters between JJ and Sean White?  It ruined JJ’s confidence.  I would however, have TJ handle all of the first half and Ashford handle all of the second.  Then compare the two for Penn State but don’t announce it until gametime so Penn State has to guess on who to plan for.  

22 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Ashford. Just like Finley played better than Bo vs Georgia St last year. Doesn’t mean Finley was ready to win in Baton Rouge or Fayetteville or at home vs Ole Miss. Plenty of people were calling for that. I’m not arguing that Ashford may not be the best long term solution. He might be. But flashes of strong performance vs Mercer isn’t enough to determine that, in my opinion. FWIW, I just want AU to win. Doesn’t matter to me who QB1 is. 

Me either. All I got to go on is Ashford played better in the spring game and then again last nite. But, I agree. Don't matter to me who plays. It just needs to be whoever gives best chance to win

• Like 1

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

I don't think Harsin was fully in charge/control of the team last season for a myriad of reasons. There were multiple sources of dysfunction.  

This year is different.

I get the rationale, just wanted to see your thought process with that assertion

Hopefully I also am able to share your sentiment this season! 

We all will like Ashford until he gets stuffed on 2nd and 8, then misses badly on a 3rd and 6 pass. Those runs are pretty until they aren't. And they won't be there as easily as last night against your better teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Yes of course they were. But the original game plan was designed for TJ with Ash  coming in for a change of pace package here and there. I meant if they designed the starting package the other way around with a full game plan for Ash as the starter. I bet Ash would thrive and his dual ability would put a lot more pressure on the defense. That also opens things up for Tank as well as on certain pass routes, like when the DBs come up to stop the QB run. With a one dimensional QB they don't have to be concerned with that.

I could definitely be wrong but my gut feeling is his playbook is limited for a reason. All the hype that put TJ ahead was the knowledge of the playbook .

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I’d start Ashford, because he played better, and pull him if he plays worse.

K.I.S.S.

Well, speaking of simple, how about just repeating the successful strategy of the first game? ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Then what about quadruple coverage? This is TJ’s first pick. The one you said was a good decision.

53E9E315-7A21-483F-98FC-5CF8D08A7A10.jpeg.d69f0fb435f2344b32f9676aa57d9d09.jpeg

My only problem with TJ was his assessment of this play.

Auburn QB T.J. Finley explains what he saw on his 2 interceptions against Mercer - al.com

He was Bo's understudy, and not learning from mistakes is an issue.

Like the dog in RA, but he is the QB.  Needs to let his play lead on the field, not his mouth.

Where would we be if we had recruited RA rather than Bo.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Well, speaking of simple, how about just repeating the successful strategy of the first game? ;)

That’ll work too.

I would rotate the QBs in game 2 the same as game 1. I fully expect Harsin to do so. It was just one game.

That said, it's ok to say Finley had a bad game. 2 interceptions on only 14 attempts is bad against anyone, let alone Mercer. His QB rating for the game was 43. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AUGoo said:

As far as intermediate passing game, I recall RA hitting JSS on a nice touch pass down the seem yesterday.

There’s been almost no mention from anybody on the incredible deep ball to Javarrius either.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cbo said:

I would rotate the QBs in game 2 the same as game 1. I fully expect Harsin to do so. It was just one game.

That said, it's ok to say Finley had a bad game. 2 interceptions on only 14 attempts is bad against anyone, let alone Mercer. His QB rating for the game was 43. 

I can’t remember an Auburn starter ever throwing 2 INTs to an FCS school. Jeremy might have against Jack State. But defense was the issue that day if I remember correctly.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I can’t remember an Auburn starter ever throwing 2 INTs to an FCS school. Jeremy might have against Jack State. But defense was the issue that day if I remember correctly.

No clue, but I would guess it's been done before. I would bet it hasn't been done on 14 attempts. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

No clue, but I would guess it's been done before. I would bet it hasn't been done on 14 attempts. 

I just looked and Jeremy did indeed have 2 INTs that day. Not a good stat group to join. It wouldn’t be as bad if they were freak plays like a tipped ball or a WR dropping a pass and it ricocheting into a defender. But these were just gimme INTs. It happens though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I just looked and Jeremy did indeed have 2 INTs that day. Not a good stat group to join. It wouldn’t be as bad if they were freak plays like a tipped ball or a WR dropping a pass and it ricocheting into a defender. But these were just gimme INTs. It happens though. 

IMO, TJ had a worse game than most people are admitting on here. I agree with you on that. 

I don't agree it's time to start Robbie. I'm still pulling for TJ and I think it undercuts Harsin to say he was wrong after one off game. Whether he was or not. 

It may sound funny against San Jose State, but this is a big game for TJ. It's time to start showing something. 

• Like 2

TJ had a real healthy amount of timing passes that were: A. Open and B. Generally accurate. A receiver getting separation and TJ completing throws to open receivers is something you have to at least commend 

but I personally figured there'd be at least 2 deep balls completed by Finley, at least I hoped for such if he was gonna have a "good" game. 

10 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

The way I thought of it is... in '21, some chastised Bo and wanted TJ. In '22, some chastise TJ and want Robby.  

There is something terribly wrong with that attitude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cbo said:

I'm seeing his rating was 126.5.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, abw0004 said:

It’s only one game, start TJ again.  Remember when we kept changing starters between JJ and Sean White?  It ruined JJ’s confidence.  I would however, have TJ handle all of the first half and Ashford handle all of the second.  Then compare the two for Penn State but don’t announce it until gametime so Penn State has to guess on who to plan for.  

I don’t think Harsin does this way. I believe he still uses RA situationally.

Edited by Hank2020

I was surprised by Ashford, but it's still Mercer. I think we're just challenged at QB and need to grow fast. After Penn State, if Finley is still turning the ball over, I think it's a conversation to have. 

• Like 1