Why wouldn’t you start Ashford in Week 2?

RunInRed

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

TJ had a real healthy amount of timing passes that were: A. Open and B. Generally accurate. A receiver getting separation and TJ completing throws to open receivers is something you have to at least commend 

but I personally figured there'd be at least 2 deep balls completed by Finley, at least I hoped for such if he was gonna have a "good" game. 

Didn’t he complete two deep balls?

How refreshing to see a coach have enough faith in QB2 to allow him to run the offense, even to the point of, gasp, throwing the ball downfield!!  And, holding QB1 responsible when he makes unforced mistakes. I thought TJ did a good job overall and should remain the starter. But now he knows he’s got to protect the ball or there will be consequences. What a novel idea by our coach! Can’t remember an Auburn coach using this approach on our quarterbacks ever, and I’m old

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jluvah said:

How refreshing to see a coach have enough faith in QB2 to allow him to run the offense, even to the point of, gasp, throwing the ball downfield!!  And, holding QB1 responsible when he makes unforced mistakes. I thought TJ did a good job overall and should remain the starter. But now he knows he’s got to protect the ball or there will be consequences. What a novel idea by our coach! Can’t remember an Auburn coach using this approach on our quarterbacks ever, and I’m old

Better be careful you will feel the wrath of the Gustav fan club

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Better be careful you will feel the wrath of the Gustav fan club

I go back to the Shug years. I truly can’t remember a quarterback being held responsible ( by the coach, that is). Running back, yes. Quarterback, no. Someone correct me if I’m wrong

• Like 1

What we learned is we've got to coach better," Kelly said. "We've got to have our kids coached in a manner where they're ready. And I'm accountable for that."

This was from Brian Kelly, FYI. There has been a major criticism of CBH “learning on the job.” Brian Kelly is as esteemed as they come and even he said “we got learning to do.” The coaching staff , the players , etc. I don’t know why this was a negative connotation before but learning and growing is hugely important for leaders and protégés alike. Glad to see our coaching staff has responded positively to adversity.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

In 2004 people wanted Jason Campbell benched for Brandon Cox after the first game of the year. 

Not saying TJ is going to Jason Campbell this thing but he really only played 1 half. He didn't get back in the game after his 2nd INT did he? Maybe that was a sign of how the coaches feel about the position moving forward

TJ always starts strong. USCe game, bowl game, even the IB. He inevitably goes down hill and struggles. It is like he makes one mistake, starts playing tentatively, and he gets into his own head. It is like he can’t recover. 

Even pro QBs have bad games. You have to keep your perspective.  I remember Vince Young's sophomore year at Texas. Practically the entire fanbase was calling for him to be benched after a loss to OU where he threw for about 13 yards.  If Robbie is the starter, he'll throw some interceptions too.  I actually think Harsin has the right approach on this right now.  I would like to see Ashford take the job, but he needs to earn it.  I just can't see us beating the better teams on our schedule without a mobile QB.  Watching Florida State and LSU last night reinforced that opinion, but I have to say both of those QBs (particularly FSU) could also throw very well.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 2

I don't think TJ was fully benched.  Maybe came out a little sooner, but I think Harsin was only going to go a series or two into the 2nd half and change as long as the lead didn't decrease.  Also Robby was playing well and really need reps. Non conference with the lead also allows Harsin to let him loose a little and see how he responds.

43 minutes ago, Tiger said:

In 2004 people wanted Jason Campbell benched for Brandon Cox after the first game of the year. 

Not saying TJ is going to Jason Campbell this thing but he really only played 1 half. He didn't get back in the game after his 2nd INT did he? Maybe that was a sign of how the coaches feel about the position moving forward

I don’t remember that at all. 2003 when we started 0-2? Yes. But not in 2004. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 6:40 AM, DAG said:

Nobody should be team anybody. Let the best man win. This looks different for everyone. T.J. threw more passes and for the most part had command and felt composed. Yes he had bad turnovers. Robby showed everyone he has speed. He had a couple of good throws and he also had a duck. The thing is now people will game plan for him. They are going to force him to pass. I am intrigued to see what the coaching staff will do with him further down the road now. A lot of excitement.

Agreed. I think TJ is the better commander at the moment and Roby is the better athlete at the moment. Play both and let’s see which one grows. Nothing wrong with a rotation system. I don’t want it to be for a play here and there because that kills the tempo of the offense ( see Gus). But let them have separate drives or separate  quarters . QBs can improve their game getting a few minutes on the sideline watching the other team set up. Kind of like on the spot film study. They are all one team and should play as such. It’s ok to compete with each other during the spring a summer but come fall it should all be about the team instead what’s best for each players ego. 🤔

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AUght2win said:

This is a legitimate reason. However, one of Malzahn’s most infuriating flaws (and there were a lot to choose from) was his open attitude about his teams “figuring themselves out” early in the year. I mean, of course that’s a true part of football. But Malzahn would be saying stuff like that to excuse away major flaws, all the way up into the 4th or 5th game.

It’d be nice to have a coaching approach with more urgency, which I think Harsin may provide. A “hey, it’s go time” mentality that isn’t going to give too much slack. Simply put, we don’t have 162 games like an MLB team to figure it out and find a groove. We have 11 left, and only 60 minutes of football before PSU comes to town. 

TJ is in year 3 as an SEC starter. I’m not saying he’s awful or a lost cause, but idk how anyone could watch him throw the two unpressured picks he threw last night and think he’s going to flip a switch in two weeks to being a different guy.

If TJ is a detriment to the offense and not being a productive change of pace, then let Robby ride.  I  think at the moment, if TJ can clean up those reads and throws, we have something not a lot of teams have.  LSU, attack with Robby more.  Teams with weak secondary, play TJ a little more.   There's something here.   Just have to find it in the next two weeks.  

Edited by kennypowers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I don't think TJ was fully benched.  Maybe came out a little sooner, but I think Harsin was only going to go a series or two into the 2nd half and change as long as the lead didn't decrease.  Also Robby was playing well and really need reps. Non conference with the lead also allows Harsin to let him loose a little and see how he responds.

Harsin wanted Robby to have the chnc to throw but coming in later and throwing would be seen as poor sportsmanship, so they just let him ride a little earlier.  

1 minute ago, kennypowers said:

Harsin wanted Robby to have the chnc to throw but coming in later and throwing would be seen as poor sportsmanship, so they just let him ride a little earlier.  

Hopefully SJSU keeps it close so TJ can get extended real gameplan opportunites?

• Dislike 1

Also Finley did have two drops.  2 or 3.     Both by vets.  Shenk and Tank.  Did Shed drop one?  Those guys catching those balls gets him at 70% completion.  Just can't underthrow the deeps.   

Edited by kennypowers
  • Like 2

To me getting 49 or 56 points isn’t running up the score. As a coach u trying to gather as much information possible in an live situation.  If possible gotta get the most u can outta these two games to start the season.

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hopefully SJSU keeps it close so TJ can get extended real gameplan opportunites?

I don't care how much work someone needs.  The bigger the lead early the better against any opponent.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

TJ had a real healthy amount of timing passes that were: A. Open and B. Generally accurate. A receiver getting separation and TJ completing throws to open receivers is something you have to at least commend 

but I personally figured there'd be at least 2 deep balls completed by Finley, at least I hoped for such if he was gonna have a "good" game. 

Agree on the 1st part.  That's something he couldn't do last year.

On the 2nd part, the play was there, he just made a terrible throw and it got intercepted b/c it was 5 yards short of where it needed to be

Harsin PC....

-says one of Finley's INTs was a bad decision, the other was poor fundamentals..."turnovers, we don't want that"

-every game plan is different, expects both the QBs to play...every opponent is different...also depends on how the week goes

-"This whole one QB system -- I started to look at it like these guys are all football players..."

-emphasizes belief in playing two quarterbacks, if that's what's necessary

Seems like we're going to see both QBs for most of the year.  Also seems the narrative of "he starred down both INTs" wasn't really true nor an issue on the 2nd pass

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

TJ always starts strong. USCe game, bowl game, even the IB. He inevitably goes down hill and struggles. It is like he makes one mistake, starts playing tentatively, and he gets into his own head. It is like he can’t recover. 

Good observation.  Pretty accurate.  Didn't connect all of that.

52 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I feel like he may have had 1 30+ yarder, I couldn’t think of another deep ball off the top of my head

He threw two I believe 

On 9/4/2022 at 5:56 AM, Barnacle said:

As far as who starts, possessions are precious for this offense. They always are, but this is not an offense that is going to be able to go score points in bunches. It will need to suck the marrow out of every single possession for us to win a lot of football games this year. IMO, this job is wide open. 

Suck the marrow, is that like blood in the saddle......lets ride, we are going old school with the euphemisms, I like it.  

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, Didba said:

He threw two I believe 

I don't think there was a 2nd deep ball.  Shenk dropped on that was maybe 20 yards.  He had a few solid 12-15 yard intermediate throws.

• Like 1