*Official Auburn vs. Mercer Post-Game Discussion Thread*

Didba

I think we are more talented in several areas, notably receiver. DB was shaky, but a lot of it was young guys in their first ever action making rookie mistakes. Only one that played bad who was experienced was Pritchett.

QB is what it is. Last year TJ got thrown in a bad situation and was not set up for success. That's not to excuse him, but it's true. But tonight there is no excuse. I could tell Harsin and Kiesau were trying to ease him in, and they made things relatively easy. He simply did not see the field and made some dumb decisions. Would be catastrophic vs a good team.

• Like 3

This maybe knit picking but I want to see a game where the intensity doesn’t drop off that much from the 1 to the 2s to the 3s. Auburns back ups should be just as good as Mercers starters. Guys shouldn’t be running wide open down the field no matter which string is in there. Ok off my soapbox GN all.

Edited by e808
  • Like 2

My 2 cents

The good: We have a great stable of running backs.  2 guys that could start on any team in the conference. The Oline played so much better than last year for the first game. Granted it was against lessor competition but it seemed like they were all on the same page and I saw lots of physicality. Robby at qb was great. Wrs are catching the ball better. I'm going to reserve judgment on whether they can get separation against better teams. Defense was good overall 

The bad: TJs two unpressured picks. He had time to think and still threw them. The DBs didn't come up and tackle as hard as I would like to see. I would have liked to have seen more TFLs and sacks against a team like Mercer. They were frequently in the backfield but too often overran the qb or ball carrier and lost containment. Against a better team that would have been a lot worse. 

• Like 4

Finley looked very poised at times and like last year at others. Ashford threw some great passes and at least one that would have been going the other way fast against better competition. 

It's hard to tell much, Mercer was not a strong team at all. It appeared our oline was a bit better, our receivers improved and we ran the ball well as the game developed. Defensively, I think we may be a bit weaker in pass coverage. The line looks strong, but we still aren't getting to the QB with the rush enough. I think we can beat Penn State based on what I saw, but that game will be a better test overall.

Edited by aucom96
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Secondary- I saw some really good plays being made, and then some blunders. Pritchett had one of his worst games I thought. Kaufman played well. I believe we will have a solid secondary they just need more reps together. I am not worried at all there as of now.

I don't think it was too bad.  There were some miscommunication or at least slow communication at times between the corner and safeties, especially when talking comboing coverage.  I think Scott takes A starting spot soon.  

• Like 7

Thought the TD pass to JSS was a nice play. Seem to rarely if ever have easy pass plays for TDs in the RZ

Also glad JSS got a TD

• Like 3

It’s really hard to tell how good our team is against an opponent like Mercer.  But, I did notice that the game ran smoothly. No delay of game, waiting on a play or the line to set up.  No false starts ona line with a new center.  Only one errant snap that I saw. TJ jumped for it and then threw one of his INTs.  Might have contributed.  No busted plays that I saw.  Looked like everyone was playing pretty disciplined ball.  All of that should help us when we get to stronger opponent play.  But I’m just worried about size, strength and quality depth.  Really proud of this win, though.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Looked like everyone was playing pretty disciplined ball.

This. I thought Auburn looked business-like and played fairly solid. If this team is going to have success the turnovers have to go away and we just have to play disciplined football. We will not overwhelm anybody with our talent at this point but I think our 1’s can be competitive. Va Tech lost (again) to ODU with 5 turnovers and 100 yards in penalties so a disciplined first game shouldn’t be taken for granted. Glad to see us play a generally clean game (except for the INTs which are being discussed a lot lol).

Edited by fredst
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, AUwartigerAU said:

We looked more discipline, bigger, stronger, and better coached than last year. Nice job team!

War Eagle!!!

I agree. Hopefully this culminates in a 7-8 win season. I see the foundation building but still question the talent of this team. Looking forward to next week.

• Like 4

I didn't get to watch any of the game.  I'm disappointed when AU plays an opponent so weak that the SEC network won't even televise it.

Thanks to all of you who served up play-by-play coverage in the game thread.  I had the radio broadcast on as well.

From the non-visual side, it seemed like TJ had only one bad play - his 2nd interception.  As for the 1st interception, even Greg McElroy said it was just a great play by the DB.

I must admit that I have very little confidence in TJ, because of how he played last year.  I think it's only a matter of time before Robby Ashford takes over full time.  But TJ deserves to be the starter next week and have a chance to show why coach Harsin has confidence in him.

Didn't a tight end drop a perfect pass from TJ just before the 2nd interception?

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad Bo Nix is gone.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Didn't a tight end drop a perfect pass from TJ just before the 2nd interception?

Yep. Shenker.

Looked to me just like a summary of what most folks thought it would. Some surprises on Defense. TJ with a ceiling issue. Ashford with youth questions. WR's seem improved as a whole. RB's are ready. Oline might be in deep trouble. What I like about it is- seems the coaches know damn well what they do and do not have- and they'll get every win this team is capable of, even if it's only 6. I don't believe they're going to crap the bed. 

• Like 1

I thought for it to be the opening game, the team came out extremely clean; few penalties, few glaring mistakes. That's encouraging from a discipline standpoint.  The playcalling was fresh, also. A weather delay almost always is never a good thing for continuity, and I think it showed. Intensity tapered off and the game became dull. Overall, a W.  Let's hope the old adage about the biggest improvement coming between game 1 and 2 is true, because we'll be pretty good if it holds up.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Hard to take too much away from this...again ...it is Mercer, but I will call out the things I noticed just on first watch. ( I will rewatch in detail this week and get a better idea of things)

QB- I thought TJ played well minus the 2 picks. The first one I just don't think he saw that back side safety. The second one was worse. therwise, he played pretty good IMO. I love how he stands in the pocket. I saw a lot of improvement in him from last year even with the 2 picks. Now to Robby. This is going to be interesting. Robby showed he can clearly throw the ball, and he is as dynamic of a runner at QB as we have had since the magician. I honestly feel like we can win games with either guy or both guys. Looking forward to seeing how this shakes up.

RB- Tank isTank. Hunter looked great. Hope he maintains into league play. D. Alston has some speed. I liked what I saw from him.

WRs- All around looked like a better unit to me. Just keep improving.

TE- Solid

Defense Line- Love our DL. Harris and Wooden are going to cause a lot of teams problems. Jones and Burks will do their jobs. Hall and Leota will eat. 

LB- Cam FRIGGIN Riley. He looks like a physical specimen and he was all over the place. IDK how many tackles he made, but I was very impressed with his play. He looked like the 4 years starter of the corps IMO. Not that Pappoe played bad.

Secondary- I saw some really good plays being made, and then some blunders. Pritchett had one of his worst games I thought. Kaufman played well. I believe we will have a solid secondary they just need more reps together. I am not worried at all there as of now.

Coaching- Loved the playcalling of Keisau (spelling?). I thought he did a great job getting the ball to playmakers and keeping them guessing. I love what Schmedding is doing on the D side. I love all the shifts our DL is doing . 

I look forward to seeing the progress from week 1 to week 2 and then go beat the hell out of PSU.

Biggest Surprise- Cam Riley/Robby Ashford

Biggest disappointment of the game- Pritchett and the 2 TJ picks. (Again, think overall TJ played well). 

WAR DAMN EAGLE and congrats to the team and staff on a good win! 

OL?

29 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I didn't get to watch any of the game.  I'm disappointed when AU plays an opponent so weak that the SEC network won't even televise it.

Thanks to all of you who served up play-by-play coverage in the game thread.  I had the radio broadcast on as well.

From the non-visual side, it seemed like TJ had only one bad play - his 2nd interception.  As for the 1st interception, even Greg McElroy said it was just a great play by the DB.

I must admit that I have very little confidence in TJ, because of how he played last year.  I think it's only a matter of time before Robby Ashford takes over full time.  But TJ deserves to be the starter next week and have a chance to show why coach Harsin has confidence in him.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad Bo Nix is gone.

i posted highlights And the whole game on a video thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The first one I just don't think he saw that back side safety

I was wrong in my initial remembrance.  

They came out showing a cvr 3 shell and the MoF safety robbed the play side post. It should've been an easy read and a second longer the receiver would've cleared the MoF safety for a pass similar to JJ's long reception. It was a bad int. TJ should've know where that safety was.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I thought Auburn looked business-like

I felt that too.  A very deliberate, calculating approach.  We always looked in control.

Impressions from the radio only:

Play calling showed more imagination than last season. Better job of getting subs some playing time. Sideline organization was good for first game with no delay penalties or other unseemly events. Cam Riley finally showed why most observers thought he was the prize pickup among the linebackers in his recruiting class.

Downside? Not much. AU was expected to win and won. There will be steeper hills to climb in the near future.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bigbird said:

I was wrong in my initial remembrance.  

They came out showing a cvr 3 shell and the MoF safety robbed the play side post. It should've been an easy read and a second longer the receiver would've cleared the MoF safety for a pass similar to JJ's long reception. It was a bad int. TJ should've know where that safety was.

do we have a QB controversy? i love tj and how hard he has worked but robby has some wheels and what little i saw he seems to be a better passer than we wer led to believe.