#10 ranked 2020 class revisited

bigbird

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Again, did you listen to the segment?

Listen to a one hour 45 minute hit piece? No. I'll just trust you to accurately report the contents. Besides, the opening few seconds had very annoying music. Who needs that?

• Facepalm 2

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

And tuberville was an 8-4 coach when you average it all out.   Not much better than Gus in my opinion.   

This can't be serious! Tubberville put way more players in the league and also developed them. He was very competitive with a bunch of 3 star players and coached them up. 

18 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

It just feels like jumping the gun to talk about whether a class developed or contributed when you're halfway through their time. Almost every Tuberville class would've looked like crap by that metric.

When half the class is gone after about a year and a half, it's not really jumping the gun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If they were showing promise at AU, transfer and also do well at their new school, what that tells us is that they should have been encouraged to stay at AU.  Pegues and Tennison come immediately to mind.

And if they weren't showing promise?

Like say, if 87% of the ones that left didn't show anything at Auburn. How would you describe that?

However, you're right about those 2. Of the 15 that left Auburn those 2 had actually seen the field and were showing some promise.  

27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Listen to a one hour 45 minute hit piece? No. I'll just trust you to accurately report the contents. Besides, the opening few seconds had very annoying music. Who needs that?

I didn't think so. It's very obvious. It makes your comments spurious at best.

FTR, the segment was only a few minutes, but I understand why you don't want to listen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

This can't be serious! Tubberville put way more players in the league and also developed them. He was very competitive with a bunch of 3 star players and coached them up. 

Yet the records are very similar.  Tuberville enjoyed coaching while bama was going thru a bad stretch.  Would his results have looked the same if he had coached when bama was winning a national title every other year?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

Tuberville also coached in a vastly weaker SEC West division too. Miss State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and BAMA were pretty bad or average most of Tuberville's tenure. Back then the SEC East was the real strength of the conference

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Tuberville also coached in a vastly weaker SEC West division too. Miss State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and BAMA were pretty bad or average most of Tuberville's tenure. Back then the SEC East was the real strength of the conference

This logic sounds like a bunch of Lebron fans saying Jordan played in a weak NBA. You will say anything to make Gus look good and any other coach look bad. That 2004 team would beat the brakes off of any team Gus fielded at Auburn including the 2010 team. 

Gus DID NOT develop one player while at Auburn. Tubberville put several players in the NFL and they were ready when they got there. Gus won on gimmicks and smoking mirrors. Answered Prayer and They got all fat guys on the field sound familiar? He even choked away the National Championship game. Stop with the Gus walks on water foolishness. You Gus lovers come out of the woodworks to down anyone that was a better coach than him at Auburn. 

Edited by maryland tiger
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

This logic sounds like a bunch of Lebron fans saying Jordan played in a weak NBA. You will say anything to make Gus look good and any other coach look bad. That 2004 team would beat the brakes off of any team Gus fielded at Auburn including the 2010 team. 

Gus DID NOT develop one player while at Auburn. Tubberville put several players in the NFL and they were ready when they got there. Gus won on gimmicks and smoking mirrors. Answered Prayer and They got all fat guys on the field sound familiar? He even choked away the National Championship game. Stop with the Gus walks on water foolishness. You Gus lovers come out of the woodworks to down anyone that was a better coach than him at Auburn. 

I’m far from a Gus lover.   I was responding to someone mentioning how good tuberville was.    To dismiss guys that recently got into the nfl and act like Gus did nothing right is really not being honest.    That doesn’t change my opinion of him as a coach.   I didn’t think he should have been the coach just l Iike I didn’t think Tubby should have been.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maryland tiger said:

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not a Gus apologist, and I never said Gus was a great coach, but I also don't think Tuberville was either.

Like another person pointed out, Gus and Tuberville's results were pretty similar. Both coaches lasted 8-10 years, and both coaches only had 2 seasons with double digit wins, and it's just a fact that Gus had to compete in a harder SEC division. Tuberville did do a lot better in the bowl games though. 

I'm not defending Gus, I'm disputing that Tuberville was a better overall coach. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

So, did they lose them because of missed evaluation and underdevelopment? Because that's what the OP states happened at AU.

You implied by your statement, by encouraging them to stay , they would have. No-one has any idea who was encouraged to stay or not, except maybe the one/s that were openly reported to be encouraged to return or not to return. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

When half the class is gone after about a year and a half, it's not really jumping the gun

Fair enough. I bet the list looks/feels differently by the end of this season.

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not a Gus apologist, and I never said Gus was a great coach, but I also don't think Tuberville was either.

Like another person pointed out, Gus and Tuberville's results were pretty similar. Both coaches lasted 8-10 years, and both coaches only had 2 seasons with double digit wins, and it's just a fact that Gus had to compete in a harder SEC division. Tuberville did do a lot better in the bowl games though. 

I'm not defending Gus, I'm disputing that Tuberville was a better overall coach. 

I find that asinine. Honestly. Gus had a flash in the pan first season that was unsustainable because he's a mediocre coach. After Year One, he never posted another season with fewer than four losses.

Contrast that with Tuberville, who built a program. The stretch we had from 2004-2007 is obviously unparalleled in Gus' career. We won 33 games in three years, and 42 games in four seasons. We lost three SEC games in three seasons and six in four years. That comes in Years Six through Nine. Heck, the 2000 and 2002 seasons would have been the second best seasons of Gus' tenure.

Also, I would add that, yes, Bama being down mattered to his run. Still, Gus didn't have to deal with Urban Meyer or Steve Spurrier at Florida, and it's not true that Tuberville didn't have to deal with Saban. He just had him at LSU (as opposed to Ed Orgeron). Tuberville went 4-3 against Saban coached teams. I don't think Tuberville was an all-time great, but saying there's no difference between his work and Gustav's is just wrong.

Last thing on the Gus ≠ Tuberville thing.

Tuberville was 85-40 in ten years at Auburn. Gustav was 68-35 in eight years. To match Tuberville, Gus needed to go 17-5 over his next 22 games. Needless to say, that did not appear to be on the horizon for Auburn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Fair enough. I bet the list looks/feels differently by the end of this season.

I hope so, we have to start building quality depth 

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

Maybe you should rethink your premise.

Your quoted post actually bolsters my claims.

If Auburn brought in talent and the players were unable to reach it at Auburn, transfer, and then shine, then logic dictates that they were developed there and not at Auburn.

Again, did you listen to the segment?

He never listens to any positive Auburn media. 

Also, he really did make your point for you without even realizing it lol. You love to see it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

You can skip the music, old man, I literally do it on every one of their videos. 

Edited by Didba

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

And if they weren't showing promise?

Like say, if 87% of the ones that left didn't show anything at Auburn. How would you describe that?

However, you're right about those 2. Of the 15 that left Auburn those 2 had actually seen the field and were showing some promise.  

FTR, the segment was only a few minutes, but I understand why you don't want to listen.

I bet he’s never listened to one episode by the WarRapport. Doesn’t line up with his echo chamber. 

6 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

To be fair, he does have a point about the strength of the west during Tubbs years. Whether it supports his overall points I dunno. 

6 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

You literally are not talking to Gus lovers. Geez man. I know who the Gus people are on this board and neither Coffee or Baseball are in the group. 

I’ve waged wars against the Gussers. 

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Tuberville was 85-40 in ten years at Auburn. Gustav was 68-35 in eight years. To match Tuberville, Gus needed to go 17-5 over his next 22 games. Needless to say, that did not appear to be on the horizon for Auburn.

No one was saying tubbs = Gus. Guys are saying their tenures were comparable but not exactly the same. And the West was down as a whole which holds water. 

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

You implied by your statement, by encouraging them to stay , they would have. No-one has any idea who was encouraged to stay or not, except maybe the one/s that were openly reported to be encouraged to return or not to return. 

If a promising player that they want to keep leaves, that's a failure on the part of the coaching staff. How many did they want to keep? We won't be provided with that information.

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

I don't need to listen, I can count. I've been tracking attrition for decades. Slightly more than half of a class still on the team going into their third year , with a coaching change involved, would not be outside of normal even before this age of free agency and portals. Considering the current state of affairs in college football, I'm actually surprised that over half are still retained.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

I don’t understand listing flat records when Tubs played in a weaker SECW and SEC in general. Hell, Gus had to play the best program of the decade every year and the second best, twice. UGA could’ve been third, played them every year. LSU was top..8? 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Not sure how they would’ve panned out under Gus, but it’s a shame that they didn’t work out here all the same. 

Absolutely hate it for those kids

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 6:12 AM, bigbird said:

Screenshot_20220906-073856.png

Missed evaluation and underdevelopment. 

I get conflicting feelings seeing this list. Many people on the right side probably wouldn't play much (minus Kobe Hudson, which still hurts). But it also obviously includes many of our best players.

You could add JJ Evans as another person in the portal and given how many people transferred from this class nationwide, I wonder how much different this is than other programs.  

• Like 1