#10 ranked 2020 class revisited

bigbird

6 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

I wonder how much different this is than other programs.  

That's a good question. I'm not going to bother to count numerous other schools. I will say that in times before the current portal/transfer situation only half of a class remaining going into their year three and with a coaching change involved wouldn't have been unusual. The numbers across the board are certainly worse these days.

13 hours ago, au302 said:

Here's the thing. Gus was a system guy, not a student of the game. For that reason, in his mind, player development was irrelevant.

He just cared about finding players that fit the roles his system needed. In his mind, who gives a damn if player A becomes a more rounded ball player for the future if he can run that swing route real good, which is his only duty in my system. Or who cares if Coates can run real routes as long as he can run straight fast and catch a deep ball. 

This worked for a few years until the league caught on and word spread. That's when our OL recruiting tanked because word got out that the NFL didn't like anything about our OL development/system/etc and suddenly no OL worth a damn wanted to come here anymore.

Great post!

• Like 2

On 9/8/2022 at 1:05 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t understand listing flat records when Tubs played in a weaker SECW and SEC in general. Hell, Gus had to play the best program of the decade every year and the second best, twice. UGA could’ve been third, played them every year. LSU was top..8? 

If Tubs was 4 games better, that might matter. It wasn’t close. And again, I don’t think you want to compare records against top ranked teams either. It’s also not going to look good for Gus. 

7 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

If Tubs was 4 games better, that might matter. It wasn’t close. And again, I don’t think you want to compare records against top ranked teams either. It’s also not going to look good for Gus. 

If you play a good team far less times in a given season, then you're going to generally fare better. The obvious reason being, your team being less tired. 

It's just nonsensical to me to not act like playing in a greatly easier situation wouldn't matter. Yeah the guy was 20 wins better playing in an easier conference over the course of 8 years, that makes a ton of sense if you add 1 + 1 lol 

On 9/7/2022 at 3:25 PM, maryland tiger said:

This logic sounds like a bunch of Lebron fans saying Jordan played in a weak NBA. You will say anything to make Gus look good and any other coach look bad. That 2004 team would beat the brakes off of any team Gus fielded at Auburn including the 2010 team. 

Gus DID NOT develop one player while at Auburn. Tubberville put several players in the NFL and they were ready when they got there. Gus won on gimmicks and smoking mirrors. Answered Prayer and They got all fat guys on the field sound familiar? He even choked away the National Championship game. Stop with the Gus walks on water foolishness. You Gus lovers come out of the woodworks to down anyone that was a better coach than him at Auburn. 

Gimmicks didn't beat uga and bama at Jordan-Hare in 2017.  There is nothing wrong with giving Gus credit for the good, while still having room to criticize the questionable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 5:14 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If you play a good team far less times in a given season, then you're going to generally fare better. The obvious reason being, your team being less tired. 

It's just nonsensical to me to not act like playing in a greatly easier situation wouldn't matter. Yeah the guy was 20 wins better playing in an easier conference over the course of 8 years, that makes a ton of sense if you add 1 + 1 lol 

I think you're under the wrong impression about how often we played top teams under Tuberville. The WEST was better under Gus. No question, but our schedule wasn't wildly different in terms of games against top ten teams.

Under Tuberville, we averaged 2.9 games per season against the top ten. We won an ASTOUNDING 52% of those games (15-14).

Under Gus, we average 3.5 such games. We won a pathetic 29% of those games (8-20).

The gap between wins and losses under either guy isn't because one guy was piling up wins over nobodies while the other guy had to play murderer's row. One major reason for the gap between the two is Tuberville could win those games and, with the exception of a home Iron Bowl, Gus couldn't win those games. In his 8 years, he played one fewer top ten game than Tuberville played in his 10 years, but Gus had 8 fewer wins.

Still, it's completely wrong to suggest that Tuberville had it easy. He played more top ten teams per year than any Auburn coach in history until Gus. For every two seasons, Gus had one extra top ten game. That's it. One game for every two seasons. I remain baffled at anyone who tries to claim Gus' run is comparable to Tuberville's

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

Under Tuberville, we averaged 2.9 games per season against the top ten. We won 52% of those games (15-14).

Under Gus, we average 3.5 such games. We won 29% of those games (8-20).

This is solid evidence.     We can debate the debatable things all day (strength of the SEC, what each guy inherited from his predecessor, etc.) but what you presented here is facts.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 12:57 PM, AU9377 said:

Gimmicks didn't beat uga and bama at Jordan-Hare in 2017.  There is nothing wrong with giving Gus credit for the good, while still having room to criticize the questionable.

How many times did Gus' well prepared teams beat UGA and Bama at their stadiums? I'll wait!

The only ammunition you have is one season in 2017 out of 8 seasons? How about how Gus ran KJ into the ground and no plan in the SEC Championship? How about how he never let the backup QB throw in a game? What about his highly complex offensive scheme being so difficult that children knew what play was being ran?  Give me a break!

I have nothing against Gus but he was in over his head and you know it! Ask UCF if they want him right now! 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

49 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

The only ammunition you have is one season in 2017 out of 8 seasons? How about how Gus ran KJ into the ground and no plan in the SEC Championship? How about how he never let the backup QB throw in a game? What about his highly complex offensive scheme being so difficult that children knew what play was being ran?

What do you mean? I've been assured that these are the hallmarks of and above average coach.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, maryland tiger said:

How many times did Gus' well prepared teams beat UGA and Bama at their stadiums? I'll wait!

The only ammunition you have is one season in 2017 out of 8 seasons? How about how Gus ran KJ into the ground and no plan in the SEC Championship? How about how he never let the backup QB throw in a game? What about his highly complex offensive scheme being so difficult that children knew what play was being ran?  Give me a break!

I have nothing against Gus but he was in over his head and you know it! Ask UCF if they want him right now! 

my-man-my-man-denzel.gif.27d217c7b2048189c0f459bfef486c5d.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

The only ammunition you have is one season in 2017 out of 8 seasons?

Gosh, I could have sworn Gus was the Auburn coach during our run through the SEC championship and to the BCS game in 2013. Refresh my memory, who WAS our coach that season?

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Gosh, I could have sworn Gus was the Auburn coach during our run through the SEC championship and to the BCS game in 2013. Refresh my memory, who WAS our coach that season?

But it was with Chizik's recruits so it doesn't count.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, tinman1 said:

But it was with Chizik's recruits so it doesn't count.😀

That's just like Bowden's 1997 team finished 10-3 and lost the SEC Championship game by one point. Never mind Dye had been gone five years, it was "Dye's players". That's always worth a belly laugh.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

@MikeyCan I ask you a question? Please be honest! True or False, did Gus blow the National Championship game? 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

I've come to the realization that Auburn is just a B-/C+ program and has been for awhile.  I don't see that changing any time in the near future.

1 minute ago, maryland tiger said:

@MikeyCan I ask you a question? Please be honest! True or False, did Gus blow the National Championship game? 

False. The blown knee on the guy whose knee gave out on the kick return had more to do with blowing anything that day. AU was the underdog and nearly pulled off the win.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

False. The blown knee on the guy whose knee gave out on the kick return had more to do with blowing anything that day. AU was the underdog and nearly pulled off the win.

You comment as if other people didn't watch Auburn games during the Gus era. Gus, in typical fashion, went into his normal 3 quarter swoon and blew that game. The game was not lost on that kick return! Auburn should have ran FSU off the field. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

You comment as if other people didn't watch Auburn games during the Gus era. Gus, in typical fashion, went into his normal 3 quarter swoon and blew that game. The game was not lost on that kick return! Auburn should have ran FSU off the field. 

I'm gonna have to somewhat agree with Mikey here. Auburn lost that game on special teams, especially the return game. I know they had a 100 yard kick return, but I think I remember a couple of huge punt returns also. I'm old so maybe I'm incorrect on that. It was just horrible luck for the injury to happen on that kick return, but I also agree that the 3rd quarter swoon was a sign of things to come. 

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

I'm gonna have to somewhat agree with Mikey here. Auburn lost that game on special teams, especially the return game. I know they had a 100 yard kick return, but I think I remember a couple of huge punt returns also. I'm old so maybe I'm incorrect on that. It was just horrible luck for the injury to happen on that kick return, but I also agree that the 3rd quarter swoon was a sign of things to come. 

The worst play of the game was the completely obvious fake punt they ran close to halftime near midfield.  Stop the fake, go into the half up at least 21-3 and we blow them out.   Instead, half of our players had their backs to the runner after the snap, they pick up the first, score and stay alive.   Utterly inexcusable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

21 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

The worst play of the game was the completely obvious fake punt they ran close to halftime near midfield.  Stop the fake, go into the half up at least 21-3 and we blow them out.   Instead, half of our players had their backs to the runner after the snap, they pick up the first, score and stay alive.   Utterly inexcusable. 

Yes!!! That's what I said to my brother after the game. He was railing about the 3rd quarter O and the D on the last drive and I told him special teams cost us 2 scores, and that was the game.

PS. Thanks for saving me from rewatching that game. I haven't yet and didn't intend to. But I knew there was a punt "something" in the game somewhere and was gonna YouTube it tonight. 

Edited by JuscAUse!

22 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

You comment as if other people didn't watch Auburn games during the Gus era....... 

Why did you attempt to hide the entire 2013 season in your above post? We're talking about this game because you claimed 2017 was Gus's only good season. Over 100 teams started the 2013 season wanting to be in the BCS game and only two made it. Auburn was one of them. Were you dishonest and hoped to hide 2013, or have you suddenly remembered details about one game in a season that you had entirely forgotten about? Which is it?

Hope we move on soon from "Gus is the antichrist" and "orange jerseys are an important topic". We were late to the NIL game and a lot of folks at Auburn can take some of the blame for that. Auburn's network has top tier funds so once our NIL is organized, there's no reason we can't fill all needs with blue chippers.

• Like 1