3 Auburn Commits Playing for Team USA

toddc

Trio of Auburn baseball commitments suiting up for Team USA

By JASON CALDWELL5 hrs

Share6 Comments

Over the summer Auburn junior pitcher Joseph Gonzalez had the opportunity to play for Team USA as part of the Collegiate National Team. Now three future Tigers are having the same experience as part of the Team USA Under 18 squad.

A right-handed pitcher from Newburgh, Ind,, Cameron Tilly is getting to live out one of his dreams along with fellow 2023 Auburn commitments Kevin McGonigle from Aldan, Pa., and Colt Emerson from Cambridge, Ohio.

“It’s a dream come true,” Tilley tells Auburn247. “When I first started playing USA Baseball I didn’t really think this was a possibility. Doing it with Colt and Kevin makes it even better. They are future teammates and that is something that is really special and doesn’t happen very often.”

Playing exhibition games over the course of three days in Bradenton, Fla., Team USA will take part in the WBSC U-18 World Cup from September 9-19 in Bradenton and Sarasota. They are in Pool A along with Brazil, Canada, Korea, The Netherlands and South Africa. 

The first game is scheduled for September 9 at 6 p.m. CDT against The Netherlands and Tilley says he can’t wait to see what this team can accomplish.

“It’s very huge,” Tilley says. “People always talk about something being a dream come true, but you don’t get much better than this. This is going to be the best experience of my life. It’s going to be really special.”

(Photo: Team USA, 247Sports)

A talented player with a fastball that is in the low to mid 90’s, Tilley committed to Auburn in June of 2020 and hasn’t looked back since. Continuing to build a bond with Coach Butch Thompson, assistant coach Karl Nonemaker and the rest of the staff, he says it was an easy call for him to choose the Tigers.

“I think it was the coaches,” Tilley says. “Every SEC school is going to have the facilities and that money, but it came down to Coach Thompson and Coach Nonemaker. Those guys were really personable. They were the best coaches I had talked to. I felt like we had a really special connection from the start. When I first stepped on campus, people talk about that feeling that you’ll know, I knew the first time I stepped on the campus.”

Now Tilley gets to continue to build relationships with middle infielders McGonigle and Emerson for the next two weeks as they try to bring home a gold medal in Florida. With thoughts of a College World Series ahead, he says this is just the start for them.

Sponsored Content

2022 BlueCross Insurance Plans - Get Affordable Health Quotes

Licensed Agents on Call - Free Quotes - Low Rate Plans in All 50 States. Private Health Plans Can Save Thousands per Year on Your Health Insurance Premiums.

By www.getmehealthinsurance.org/BlueCross/Quotes

LEARN MORE

6COMMENTS

“We have been together pretty much every day since this has started,” Tilley says. “We have really grown pretty close. We’re all excited to be at Auburn this next season (2024) and we’re going to do some really special things.”

• Like 2
  • Love 1