*Official San Jose St. Post-Game Discussion Thread*

Didba

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

I mean this with all due respect belle, but I counted us out anytime we played UGA, lsu, or Alabama (away from JH) and it showed in the records. JSU also took us to over time in 2015, year 3. We beat Mercer 24-10 in 2017, year 5, same year as the lsu debacle 

Well I don't think most fans wrote Auburn off in quite the same way as what's happening now. Almost no one thought Auburn would only win 3-4 games. 

I remember the JSU game very well.  I wasn't saying there were never bad games. But the expectations were that Auburn should be able to win and maybe even repeat 2010/2013.

Nobody really thinks that's going to happen in 2022. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Once u saw App St playing with TAMU I knew it was THAT weekend for upset Saturday and it honestly did have me worried after seeing how dead tiger walk was

I hadn't heard about the dead Tiger Walk. I feel bad for the players. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I hadn't heard about the dead Tiger Walk. I feel bad for the players. 

Was a lot of people but Fans and players just seemed to be going through the motions. Really lacked any excitement which could have been bc of the opponent

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

His loss last night showed he wasn't the answer but his record against our rivals was not his problem. Do you really expect anyone to have a better record against Georgia and Alabama?

He lost to some of the worst UGA teams of the entire millennium...badly 

hell the crown jewel of Smart's first season was beating a CFP contending Auburn without scoring an offensive touchdown bc the QB guru couldn't find a body that could play the position other than one-armed Sean QB. Many people would have had a better record and did vs mid 2010s UGA

• Like 1

I would think a major part of our continued slippage in UGA is from the kids that can slip out and make it to Athens watching us get our ass kicked with a higher number by our name than UGA had by theirs. Their thought process probably was "wow, once Kirby gets the talent here, there's no reason why Auburn should compete in this series"...and lo and behold!!

All time embarrassment in 2014, CFP contending season ended in embarrassment in 2016, easily the shakiest looking UGA team in 2020 who was just starting Stetson for the first time, and we got man handled. 

54 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I would think a major part of our continued slippage in UGA is from the kids that can slip out and make it to Athens watching us get our ass kicked with a higher number by our name than UGA had by theirs. Their thought process probably was "wow, once Kirby gets the talent here, there's no reason why Auburn should compete in this series"...and lo and behold!!

All time embarrassment in 2014, CFP contending season ended in embarrassment in 2016, easily the shakiest looking UGA team in 2020 who was just starting Stetson for the first time, and we got man handled. 

There is no logical reason explanation. Georgia just had his number. In 2020 if Bo had only hit that screen pass who knows but enough down memory lane. It’s a new season

35 minutes ago, TigerToe said:

secondary is crap and both have been for years. Same story different year. 

skeptical-chris-carey.gif.30e522974a3ebcb324dd5602deec4a96.gif

Points at multiple NFL CBs drafted from Auburn...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Offense got better in the second half. I don't think the secondary did the entire game. 

I don't know how I feel about the 2 QB thing. I feel that we are hurting ourselves.....I need an I told you so to piss everybody off.........

I told you about the wr's and defense

This was the last sure win likely on the schedule and that it was in doubt the majority of the game is concerning. SJSU is not a good team, but we made them look like one. Our defense was supposed to be our strength and they look confused and undisciplined. Even our line was getting knocked off the ball at times. 

Offensively, I think the receivers are still the most improved unit on the team. The running game looked good, but this will change against better defenses and our QBs are bad. Ashford was a weapon today, but Georgia will break him in two if we continue to lean on him like that. 

The sloppiness in year two negates a lot of this "culture" talk. We don't look like a well prepared or particularly physical team and we'll have to improve significantly by next week because Penn State will wallop us if we don't. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Last night was a crap show. Just like the Georgia State game last year. But we did rebound from that and went on a nice run  of solid wins. Just have to hope that’s the case again, or we’re in trouble. 

• Like 2

It was a nice evening in the stadium. Outside of that I felt like we lost the game even though we didn't. Almost numb to the way Auburn Football looks anymore. I appreciate the hard work of the players and staff but the spirit is on life support. 

The best thing I saw last night was the entertainment. It's the best thing in JHS right now. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

We didn't end up like Notre Dame, TAMU, Wisconsin so I'll take it. 

Apples to oranges. There’s a difference between an upset involving a much more talented team losing to an inferior team and what we saw last night. Auburn and San Jose St. have comparable talent, which is ridiculous.  So, no, I won’t take it. This program should be better than a San Jose St. program across the board. It isn’t.

• Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I don't have any expectations for real improvements in that game. Auburn may luck into a win somehow but I'm not going to be surprised by a loss either. 

It's like the Barfield era has been resurrected.....no expectations of anything great happening anytime soon.

Funny you should mention the Barfield Era. You left out one key similarity, though; support of the coach. If either Barfield or Harsin had full support from Day 1, they would both have better success. You cannot overcome when ‘your own’ are your enemy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

LSU was a terrible team last year. It was more like Auburn was just less terrible. bammer was not great that day and it was more like those games in the 70's.....a fluke because bammer was having a bad game. bammer had the same experience today. They may be losing their edge.  I doubt it will be that close in 2022 though unless bammer totally unravels. Auburn has even less talent now than last season.

If your team looks terrible and plays terrible and not surprisingly has less talent across the board....that is not competitive in the SEC. The coaching is not up to par. Recruiting is abysmal.

Competitive is being a threat. Nobody feels threatened or intimidated by Auburn right now.  

Not a lot wrong in this post except to say one of the big reasons that Hars is struggling is the shape he found the program in. He’s had his own faults, too, but no one would fix the mess Gus left inside of two seasons.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• WarTiger changed the title to *Official San Jose St. Post-Game Discussion Thread*

I'm gonna say,  I think we beat Penn State next week only because we are Auburn and it's an Auburn thing to do. 🤣 We will beat them by atleast a TD and look good doing it so us fans will get hope again and then be dashed in the next few games because JABA.

Edited by autiger88
  • Haha 2

Pretty rough game to watch. Finley did make some nice throws and in the second half we actually had some nice lanes to run through. I was watching at a bar so hard to catch the little things during the game. What changed that allowed us to run better in second half? Different plays or we just blocked them better?

8 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Most of the time with Gus....Auburn was competitive. His mistakes with offensive play calling cost Auburn games that could've been won. He just had some predictably dumb ideas at the worst possible times. But I never counted Auburn totally out of most games because they could fight their way through and often did.

Harsin's teams are just not really competitive or strong in any area. There's just not much edge to them. 

No, Malzahn's mistakes in OL coaching hires and disregard of OL recruiting cost Auburn more than his play calling. It's still costing Auburn and it's going to take time to fix. Harsin's not ignorant to how important the LOS is. Have some patience and try to be a little less pessimistic 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Turns out the transfer portal may benefit the G5 after all. A mix up upperclassmen 3 stars with a few transfers sprinkled here and there. 

Read an article that said TAMU has 56 4/5 stars on their roster.  Appy State has.......one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

No, Malzahn's mistakes in OL coaching hires and disregard of OL recruiting cost Auburn more than his play calling. It's still costing Auburn and it's going to take time to fix. Harsin's not ignorant to how important the LOS is. Have some patience and try to be a little less pessimistic 🙂

What exactly has he done to improve that? His recruiting of lineman last year was poor and this year looks worse. We look like we are down to 3rd and 4th choices. When it is this late in the recruiting cycle and we are just now making offers to some kids means we are far down our list. And his public strategy is “ just watch”. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Pretty rough game to watch. Finley did make some nice throws and in the second half we actually had some nice lanes to run through. I was watching at a bar so hard to catch the little things during the game. What changed that allowed us to run better in second half? Different plays or we just blocked them better?

Blocking was better but they tweaked something at halftime 

• Like 1