Why We Shouldn't Panic... Yet

Zeek

I get the sentiments but some of this are clearly not like the others . For instance both Florida and Baylor loss to competitive , ranked opponents. Things like that happen. Now the aggies ? Notre dame? That’s no excuse 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4

I'm hoping that we just got caught looking ahead to psu, but even the sunshine pumper in me is starting to get worried about our QB play.   It doesn't take a genius to figure that every time on our schedule will attempt to stop our run and beat them through the air.   As been previously stated Finely is making some really boneheaded decision and Robby is flat staring a hole in his target.    We have got to improve at QB moving forward.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

When my teenager does something wrong he often tries to compare his transgression with his friends and his friends' parents' rules, as if that's suddenly going to make us lower our standards for his life.

This needed to be said. What happens to other teams has no impact on our performance and should not make us feel better about our performance.

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Respectfully, the guys name that u hear most are all Gus recruits. Next year u will see the difference when those guys are gone. Not sure about the C-USA talent. There is a matrix floating around regarding talent on a team and Auburn is either 16 or 17.

That may be true. Gus recruited “skill” positions relatively well. Those guys will be pull the matrix up.

It’s the supporting cast who never get their names called anyway that are not up to par. Talented as the skill positions  may be, it’s hard shine when everything around you collapses before you have an opportunity.

Nobody wants to hear this about QBs but, it takes time for them to develop.  I love the excitement that Robbie brings when he gets in the game but remember that he's only played marginally in 2 games at the collegiate level -- and this only after an extended layoff from his HS experience.  It's obvious he's amped up when he gets in & I believe that's why some of his passes on the run are overthrown.  It will take time for the game to slow down for him & develop some touch on his passing.  TJ is the best option at QB right now.  I'm not overly pleased at the way he tends to throw behind his receivers, but this too will take time to get straightened out.  Recall how long it took for Jason Campbell to develop into a quality QB.        

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Right now we are exactly where I expected us to be, 2-0. Since my overall prediction for the season was 5-7 I'm not in panic mode. I can still hope I'm wrong and AU finishes 15-0 but that doesn't seem likely and 9-3, which was a popular pick, doesn't seem likely either.

Damn I hate to agree with you but you are right. 

32 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Nobody wants to hear this about QBs but, it takes time for them to develop.  I love the excitement that Robbie brings when he gets in the game but remember that he's only played marginally in 2 games at the collegiate level -- and this only after an extended layoff from his HS experience.  It's obvious he's amped up when he gets in & I believe that's why some of his passes on the run are overthrown.  It will take time for the game to slow down for him & develop some touch on his passing.  TJ is the best option at QB right now.  I'm not overly pleased at the way he tends to throw behind his receivers, but this too will take time to get straightened out.  Recall how long it took for Jason Campbell to develop into a quality QB.        

This ^

TJ played a solid second half and his first half interception wasn't terrible. It wasn't a bad read, just an incredible effort by the defensive secondary.

If TJ plays the rest of the season as well as the 2nd half in this game - and the OL improves marginally -  we'll win 8 IMO. 

I think this game was Robby Ashford's best and - probably last - chance to unseat TJ as the starter. 

But he'll continue to play.  My biggest concern is that they don't destroy TJ's rhythm when they put him in.

• Like 4

Good post @Zeek , I am going to date myself but I am one of the *cough* older guys and have watched a lot of AU football (alumni). I was getting really worked up towards the latter part of Gus's tenure and started taking the approach of going into the games with the idea that we were the underdog. I know that sounds terrible but it was pretty brutal and easier to watch if I felt like we were the underdog, if we won great but it wasn't expected vs expecting to be great and go down in flames.  So far unfortunately I do not see any difference with what we have now and the last few years under Gus, I want the best for Auburn and hope Harsin can somehow get things moving in the right direction but until I see some year over year progress, recruiting, coaching and playing you really just can't think of us as being the better team, hope that changes sooner than later but it's just where we are....

I'm sure I will get flamed for this post but the whole JABA is pretty apparent right now, I do not have the answers etc, but I am optimistic that it doesn't have to be that way forever (just look at BAMA) things can and will turn around, just hoping its soon. :)

War Eagle!

Edited by bishoptf
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AUDevil said:

When my teenager does something wrong he often tries to compare his transgression with his friends and his friends' parents' rules, as if that's suddenly going to make us lower our standards for his life.

Fair. I also wanted to mention all these coaches some think are magical solutions are debatably on similar situations. 

• Like 2