The Harsin Question

Malcolm_FleX48

There is a lot of panic when it comes to Harsin right now. The question that you now have to ask in order to see where you go from here, is:

"If given a team of fives and four star talent across the board that's a perfect scheme fit, does Brian Harsin have the coaching chops to make it to the top four of the playoffs?"

If the answer is yes, you keep him.

If the answer is no, you do not keep him.

If the answer is that you do not know, then you have to keep him until you have enough data.

I also have to add that you need to be able to gauge whether he can ever recruit well enough to get that team or close to it.

But for me, I am still disappointed that he has filled our staff with nothing but Boise State yes men. That takes a lot from the recruiting. If he can't recruit well enough for you to ever answer this question then you also must get rid of him.

But...

If you lack enough data then I think definitive answers as to whether Harsin is the future or not cannot be made and moving on now would make this job a pariah. I just hope the board considers this.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

"If given a team of fives and four star talent across the board that's a perfect scheme fit, does Brian Harsin have the coaching chops to make it to the top four of the playoffs?"

Yes. I think he needs an Alpha at QB. All the top teams have top notch leadership from the QB position. Bama with Bryce, Stroud at tOSU, Bennett at UGA, Williams at USC. A lot of Boise guys but the non Boise crew ain’t really tearing it up, best maybe Zack, also Will Friend, has not done a thing recruiting. Caddy doing his thing, Ike in time I think will do really well, Jimmy B (mid), so IMO the non Boise recruiting ain’t doing much better, but definitely better than the Boise crew. Still I can imagine it may be hard to recruit elite talent when the perception is the HC may not be around, makes it easy to negative recruit against.

22 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

There is a lot of panic when it comes to Harsin right now. The question that you now have to ask in order to see where you go from here, is:

If the answer is yes, you keep him.

If the answer is no, you do not keep him.

If the answer is that you do not know, then you have to keep him until you have enough data.

I also have to add that you need to be able to gauge whether he can ever recruit well enough to get that team or close to it.

But for me, I am still disappointed that he has filled our staff with nothing but Boise State yes men. That takes a lot from the recruiting. If he can't recruit well enough for you to ever answer this question then you also must get rid of him.

But...

If you lack enough data then I think definitive answers as to whether Harsin is the future or not cannot be made and moving on now would make this job a pariah. I just hope the board considers this.

Then Harsin might want to start recruiting.  He only signed 18 out of a possible 24 scholarships last cycle. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

More data needed. We were knee deep JABA at the conclusion of last season throughout the recruiting season, had one of the lowest budgets in the SEC, NIL budget is a joke but yet this man is supposed to compete with the UAT’s and GA’s? Come on man. I am going to let this season play out before I come to a conclusion as to if CBH is a qualified SEC coach

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Should be a category on whether he can get the 4-5* talent to win. 

I have no doubt he would win 10 games a year with UGA's roster, but it's still up for debate if he can get that talent. 

I'll settle for 3* at this point.  I really hope Harsin is the guy.  I do.  I don't waan't us to look back and miss the "Offensive Genius" days.

Can't we just sacrifice a position coach and move on? 🤨

Seriously, it's excruciating, but technically we're still operating from a small sample. It is not looking promising and I don't see the sense of urgency or obvious improvements - other than team unity. If at this point it was Gus saying, "but the future is bright *chew* *chew* *pop*" about the current program, I would be saying he's a POS without a clue and I'm not gonna be suckered again. Wanting to say C and be patient, but feeling like B.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

From the things he says, Harsin sees himself as primarily a developer. From his actions to date, he seems to view recruiting in terms of vetting over numbers. The problem is that our roster is depleted and we need those numbers to get Harsin to the point of discovering his abilities as a developer. If recruiting doesn’t pick up substantially, it will be a moot point because he’s nearing a sub-SEC level roster and time will cease to be on his side.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

If he cannot recruit it will not matter if he can coach or not. I would rather him go 5-7 and sign a top 5 class than go 8-4 and sign a top 50 class. 
We need hope for the future. 

• Like 2

I have a hard time seeing a future where Harsin and Auburn are able to get over what happened last offseason. I personally think he’s a good coach, but he doesn’t seem to be a great recruiter, and we simply cannot win in the SEC with mediocre recruiting. Not anymore. His teams also seem to have major issues with focus and on field discipline, and that’s baffling to me, because that was one of the things I figured we wouldn’t have to worry about. He seems like such a focused, process driven person. 

Also, I’m still having a hard time figuring out how Corn Williams was canned after 4 games, but Will Friend is still employed on the staff. If you’re going to be a coach who gives your staff a short leash, how on earth can you put up with Will Friend.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I have a hard time seeing a future where Harsin and Auburn are able to get over what happened last offseason. I personally think he’s a good coach, but he doesn’t seem to be a great recruiter, and we simply cannot win in the SEC with mediocre recruiting. Not anymore. His teams also seem to have major issues with focus and on field discipline, and that’s baffling to me, because that was one of the things I figured we wouldn’t have to worry about. He seems like such a focused, process driven person. 

Also, I’m still having a hard time figuring out how Corn Williams was canned after 4 games, but Will Friend is still employed on the staff. If you’re going to be a coach who gives your staff a short leash, how on earth can you put up with Will Friend.

All good points.

The lack of focus and a discipline on-the-field is something I'm surprised to see when CBH has harped on accountability, responsibility and discipline for months now.  I bet he yanks a knot in some asses when they review film today.  

Just now, JerryAU said:

All good points.

The lack of focus and a discipline on-the-field is something I'm surprised to see when CBH has harped on accountability, responsibility and discipline for months now.  I bet he yanks a knot in some asses when they review film today.  

I hope so. Gonna be honest. Watching a video of him and the team jumping around tossing water everywhere after that game against San Jose St made me smh harder than I have in a while. There was very little reason for celebrating Saturday night. That game was antithetical to everything Harsin preaches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

I'll settle for 3* at this point.  I really hope Harsin is the guy.  I do.  I don't waan't us to look back and miss the "Offensive Genius" days.

Settling appears to be what we are in store for if things stay the same. 

• Sad 1

Wonder if A&M is starting to feel that way with Jimbo. He has been there 5 yrs, by all accounts with alot more resources than Harsin has at AU...and just lost to Appy St... Gotta let the season play out. If he shows improvement,  he stays...Folks, we ain't getting Saban or Smart... 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This may be completely wrong, but didn't he and Harsin have a verbal disagreement among other things? 

Regardless, Friend should've been shown the door last off season too. 

This is broken logic.  I wish college football was as black/white as the original post states.

Regardless, I'll answer your original question.  

"does Brian Harsin have the coaching chops to make it to the top four of the playoffs?"

Yes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Wonder if A&M is starting to feel that way with Jimbo. He has been there 5 yrs, by all accounts with alot more resources than Harsin has at AU...and just lost to Appy St... Gotta let the season play out. If he shows improvement,  he stays...Folks, we ain't getting Saban or Smart... 

Much like Sumlin, Jimbo isn't winning big without a Heisman on his roster. 

I disagree with the posted question.  

I think the question that needs to be asked is whether or not Harsin is recruiting at a SEC level and what positions is he recruiting?  If the answer no to either, he should be sent packing immediately.  

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

CBH will prove himself one way or another over the next month imo. There are some beatable SEC teams on the schedule that might not have appeared that way before the season. I'm hoping he pulls it off while he still has some decent talent on the team but it's up to him at this point. We'll know soon enough.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Jimbo's got something like a 10 yr $100mm guaranteed contract and all the $$ backing his NIL he could ever hope for.  That administration, boosters and fan base have lavished him with $$ and anything he needs. 

He has an equal record to Kevin Sumlin and just lost to Appy State. 😆

• Haha 3