The Harsin Question

Malcolm_FleX48

2 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

There is a lot of panic when it comes to Harsin right now. The question that you now have to ask in order to see where you go from here, is:

If the answer is yes, you keep him.

If the answer is no, you do not keep him.

If the answer is that you do not know, then you have to keep him until you have enough data.

I also have to add that you need to be able to gauge whether he can ever recruit well enough to get that team or close to it.

But for me, I am still disappointed that he has filled our staff with nothing but Boise State yes men. That takes a lot from the recruiting. If he can't recruit well enough for you to ever answer this question then you also must get rid of him.

But...

If you lack enough data then I think definitive answers as to whether Harsin is the future or not cannot be made and moving on now would make this job a pariah. I just hope the board considers this.

Trick question... nobody is handing Harsin a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits. He's going to have to recruit them on his own and based on what I've seen to this point, I'm skeptical he can do that. Recruiting and development is more than half the battle. I will say this, though, if Harsin traded places with Saban, based on what I've seen, I don't think he'd have Alabama in the top 4 but he'd be competitive in all his games.

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Wonder if A&M is starting to feel that way with Jimbo. He has been there 5 yrs, by all accounts with alot more resources than Harsin has at AU...and just lost to Appy St... Gotta let the season play out. If he shows improvement,  he stays...Folks, we ain't getting Saban or Smart... 

Two years ago, A&M went 9-1 with an Orange bowl victory. 

BTW, was Smart highly rated as a head coach when he first joined Georgia? I don't think he was.

Edited by murpjf88

Just looking back at every game there has been at least one head scratching decision made. Some contributed to losses while others were in wins. This is the same thing that was happening at Bosie but it didn’t matter because their team was more often than not better than any team in the MWC.

The positive side there has been development and the team was competitive even though big underdogs

There is a lot of panic when it comes to Harsin right now. The question that you now have to ask in order to see where you go from here, is:

If the answer is that you do not know, then you have to keep him until you have enough data.

I also have to add that you need to be able to gauge whether he can ever recruit well enough to get that team or close to it.

But for me, I am still disappointed that he has filled our staff with nothing but Boise State yes men. That takes a lot from the recruiting. If he can't recruit well enough for you to ever answer this question then you also must get rid of him.

But...

If you lack enough data then I think definitive answers as to whether Harsin is the future or not cannot be made and moving on now would make this job a pariah. I just hope the board considers this.

I don’t think the bolded is true. It’s more do you think he’ll ever be able to assemble a roster of 4 and 5 stars. I don’t know yet, but two years in there aren’t a lot of signs that he can.

• Like 2

But...

I’m definitely sitting on “I don’t know/not enough data” right now.    I also think he probably is never going to recruit at that level, but that isn’t 100% conclusive at this point either.   
Honestly, as short as his leash is, I don’t think we’ll ever find out.   Some PTB are upset that Frosty beat him to the punch as the first coach fired this year.  🤣

But...

Have you listened to any interviews or podcasts with Kiesau or Schmedding?  I disagree that they are just Boise yes men. 

if you listen to them give interviews it’s clear they have great knowledge of NFL schemes and all they do is attempt to implement as best they can with the players they have. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

I'll settle for 3* at this point.  I really hope Harsin is the guy.  I do.  I don't waan't us to look back and miss the "Offensive Genius" days.

We will never miss the Gustav days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Two years ago, A&M went 9-1 with an Orange bowl victory. 

BTW, was Smart highly rated as a head coach when he first joined Georgia? I don't think he was.

Ok... and Jimbo had A&M ranked 6th and lost to Appy St at home in year 5...

55 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I hope so. Gonna be honest. Watching a video of him and the team jumping around tossing water everywhere after that game against San Jose St made me smh harder than I have in a while. There was very little reason for celebrating Saturday night. That game was antithetical to everything Harsin preaches. 

Let em celebrate, it has no bearing one way or the other. It was a sloppy game from start and cleared up towards the finish. It appeared Auburn thought they could toss their helmet out there and win. SJSU, invested a lot more into the game than Auburn did. They wanted the upset, probably had it circled all summer while Auburn was possibly looking ahead, just like the many posters here were. The preliminary is over, the real season was always gonna start with PSU. Auburn could have beat these two schools by 1000 and it would not mean a damn thing if they did not beat PSU, especially at home in JHS.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Trick question... nobody is handing Harsin a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits. He's going to have to recruit them on his own and based on what I've seen to this point, I'm skeptical he can do that. Recruiting and development is more than half the battle. I will say this, though, if Harsin traded places with Saban, based on what I've seen, I don't think he'd have Alabama in the top 4 but he'd be competitive in all his games.

He has been competitive in all his games at Auburn , save the 2nd half at Georgia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm choosing D

😧 Nothing he has shown indicates he will pull in that caliber of recruits. So the question is what will he do with a 4 star defense and a 3 star offensive line

• Like 2

3 years min to determine his outcome on whether he is SEC quality. Heck, Scott Frost got 4+ for that poop show he ran in Nebraska. Remind me again about Coach Pat Dye first year and how long it took to beat UAT? Wonder if some would be asking to fire him as they are CBH

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

22 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

3 years min to determine his outcome on whether he is SEC quality. Heck, Scott Frost got 4+ for that poop show he ran in Nebraska. Remind me again about Coach Pat Dye first year and how long it took to beat UAT? Wonder if some would be asking to fire him as they are CBH

Respectfully,  Auburn isn’t Nebraska. I don’t think the powers that be accepts a losing record and a 500 record. I can’t recall the last time an Auburn coach did that. Especially, if recruiting doesn’t improve.

Edited by e808

Just now, e808 said:

Respectfully,  Auburn isn’t Nebraska. I don’t think the powers that be accepts a losing record and a 500 record. I can’t recall the last time an Auburn coach did that. 

You are right. Actually Nebraska is more well known throughout the country than Auburn. Until 2010, a lot of people thought Auburn was in GA. 3 years min or we will never get out of this horrid cycle of wash, rinse, repeat of hiring a coach every 3 -4 years

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

I honestly don’t like playing the if game and this one in particular has too many of them. It is pretty simple to me 7 wins or above he deserves another year .

.500 season is based on how the team is competing and if recruiting is better. However cut him IF YOU HAVE YOUR GUY.

Below .500 is an automatic for him to go. 

The problem with Auburn is they always seem to have no true solidify plan when they make decisions 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I honestly don’t like playing the if game and this one in particular has too many of them. It is pretty simple to me 7 wins or above he deserves another year .

.500 season is based on how the team is competing and if recruiting is better. 

Below .500 is an automatic for him to go. 

I can definitely live with this approach.

• Like 1

IF we had an actual offensive line would we even be having this discussion. I said it months ago and seems like the proper time with the transfer OL outside of 2 MAYBE 3 transfers who would have came in and unseated who we have now? The old saying that is still relevant to this day is that football is won in the trenches. That being said even if we win 8 games and do not see significant recruiting along the oline by years end the chances of a change are highly likely. Situations like this season are when you can appreciate the changes that were made to the early signing period. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

There is really no comparison between Harsin and Coach Dye. Dye beat bammer in year 2 at Legion Field so…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

You are right. Actually Nebraska is more well known throughout the country than Auburn. Until 2010, a lot of people thought Auburn was in GA. 3 years min or we will never get out of this horrid cycle of wash, rinse, repeat of hiring a coach every 3 -4 years

Not as of today. That’s the past and Auburn is much more relevant than Nebraska in probably ever sport but Volleyball. With how the other sports are performs there is no way subpar results will be accepted. Especially, with football being the bread and butter of the athletics

3 hours ago, AUFlyer99 said:

I disagree with the posted question.  

I think the question that needs to be asked is whether or not Harsin is recruiting at a SEC level and what positions is he recruiting?  If the answer no to either, he should be sent packing immediately.  

Recruiting is great.. but you have to win in the football field. Recruiting rankings are nice but don't mean squat off they don't translate to actual football. 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t think the bolded is true. It’s more do you think he’ll ever be able to assemble a roster of 4 and 5 stars. I don’t know yet, but two years in there aren’t a lot of signs that he can.

Again, stars are nice but recruiting needs to lead to wins. Gus had better recruiting and still was just 7-5 coach

10 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Again, stars are nice but recruiting needs to lead to wins. Gus had better recruiting and still was just 7-5 coach

The only way recruiting leads to wins is if you have a coaching staff that can develop talent. 

10 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

You’re two steps , though.

Harsin has shown so far that he can’t win with an average/below average roster - which is what he has now. So the ONLY hope he has is to bring in talent.

You’re right. It still has to translate to wins. But the point is, recruiting is the only variable left to explore. It’s the only element left that at least allows for the possibility that things can change and wins can come for CBH.

18 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Gus being 7-5 ( more often 8-5) adds more merit to the argument. He is at best average and managed more often than not 8 wins a year because of having talent on the team.  Kirby has said it several times  talent makes it easier to coach. He even said it again as recent as the Oregon game. If Gus had actually evolved from a coaching standpoint we probably aren’t having these conversations 

Edited by e808
  • Like 1