The Harsin Question

Malcolm_FleX48

46 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not saying that Harsin is the answer, but I would bet that this forum couldn’t come to an agreement on who the next coach should be if Harsin is fired.   

Couldn’t come to an agreement post-Gus. One thing’s for certain…Harsin wasn’t even being whispered as a candidate. So how could we possibly come to an agreement on who’s next when the candidates aren’t disclosed?

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Tough to make a catch when because of injuries and personal reasons you’re not even dressing for the games.

He was with the team for game 1 and then left after that game. If Malzahn's best WR at Auburn can't play for him at UCF due to Heupel leaving better players, what does that tell you? It tells me that our transfers that left were not great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

On 9/12/2022 at 4:03 PM, tbone4jc said:

Until 2010, a lot of people thought Auburn was in GA.

Well, Nebraska has an unfair advantage over us in that area.   I would hope more people would know what state the University of Nebraska is in.  ( 🤣 I couldn’t resist)

1 hour ago, au302 said:

He was with the team for game 1 and then left after that game. If Malzahn's best WR at Auburn can't play for him at UCF due to Heupel leaving better players, what does that tell you? It tells me that our transfers that left were not great.

Are any of the transfers playing well for their new teams? It sounds like they are not playing or not producing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Are any of the transfers playing well for their new teams? It sounds like they are not playing or not producing. 

Shivers is the only one who has had great games in both weeks. Nix had a career game against Eastern Washington.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Shivers is the only one who has had great games in both weeks. Nix had a career game against Eastern Washington.

I think he is going to feast on the pac 12 teams. We have already seen what he can do in the SEC. 

4 hours ago, au302 said:

. If Malzahn's best WR at Auburn can't play for him at UCF due to Heupel leaving better players, what does that tell you? It tells me that our transfers that left were not great.

Please.....check things before putting foot in mouth. Leading WR Javon Baker, transfer from bammer brought in by Gus.

Ryan O'keefe a senior, Heupel holdover

Jaylon Griffin Freshman brought in by Gus

Xavier Townson, freshman brought in by Gus

Those are the only four WR that have recorded a catch this season. Only one of them is a Heupel holdover. The other three are Gus's guys.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Please.....check things before putting foot in mouth. Leading WR Javon Baker, transfer from bammer brought in by Gus.

Ryan O'keefe a senior, Heupel holdover

Jaylon Griffin Freshman brought in by Gus

Xavier Townson, freshman brought in by Gus

Those are the only four WR that have recorded a catch this season. Only one of them is a Heupel holdover. The other three are Gus's guys.

I wouldn't be pumping up "Gus's guys" considering what I watched them produce last Friday against Louisville.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I wouldn't be pumping up "Gus's guys" considering what I watched them produce last Friday against Louisville.

So, you support the statement that the leading wide receivers at UCF are Heupel holdovers? Because that was what I was addressing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

So, you support the statement that the leading wide receivers at UCF are Heupel holdovers? Because that was what I was addressing.

I support the statement that defending any of them as being productive so far is a dumb hill to plant your flag on.

And by the way, you're still wrong.  au302 clearly said "if Malzahn's best receiver at Auburn can't play for him at UCF".  None of the names you listed refute that point, because none of them played for Auburn.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

14 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not saying that Harsin is the answer, but I would bet that this forum couldn’t come to an agreement on who the next coach should be if Harsin is fired.   

You are correct but that is the case in just about all instance.  Even with Bama hiring of Saben a large base of their fans wanted another canadiate such as Rodriguez.  Really the only coaching search that can remember that was relatively calm was when we tried to hire Dooley.  However, when Dooley turned us down, the Kaos began.

59 minutes ago, Carnell said:

You are correct but that is the case in just about all instance.  Even with Bama hiring of Saben a large base of their fans wanted another canadiate such as Rodriguez.  Really the only coaching search that can remember that was relatively calm was when we tried to hire Dooley.  However, when Dooley turned us down, the Kaos began.

siegfried2.jpg

15 hours ago, aubaseball said:

No, the forum wouldn't come to anything like a unanimous agreement on who the next coach should be. Lucky for us, there are people getting paid six-figure salaries whose job it is to have a short list of solid candidates.

Even after that, it's still a crap shoot. Harsin looked like a good hire. Florida is currently on their fourth coach since Meyer left. A&M is on their fifth since R.C. Slocum left. Bammer went through four between Saban and Stallings. There's no need to even discuss Tennessee. Unless we get very, very lucky we are in for a long bumpy ride before we get one we're happy with.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Would never happen. My dream/sort of realistic candidate is still Luke Fickell, but with UT and OU leaving the Big 12 he would be a fool to leave Cincy (if he only cares about winning and not money).

He's probably waiting out the ND or tOSU job as he should.

12 hours ago, au302 said:

Shivers is the only one who has had great games in both weeks.

15 rushes for 28 yards in week 1. If that’s considered “great”… 

45 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Harsin looked like a good hire.

He did??? Based on what? That he was told it would be a wise thing to research AU’s history, the creed and mention it in his opening presser? Wow that must have been an all-night crammer.

Seriously, what else was it about him on Day 1 that gave you hope he could efficiently recruit in a territory (AL/GA/FL) in which he had never done so prior?

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Defending Gus at UCF is so freaking awesome 😂

The subject of Gus would seldom to never come up if the haters didn't post stuff like this (from an earlier thread) "Gus took over the UCF program and ran it into the ground" Fiction. And my favorite among many.

Fact: Gus took over a program that finished 6-5 the previous year and raised it up to 9-4, which included a bowl win over SEC member Florida.

Paraphrasing: "The wide receivers Gus brought into UCF cannot even beat out the Heupel holdovers". Fiction

Fact: Four wide receivers have caught passes this year for UCF. Three of them, including the leading receiver, were brought in by Gus.

When the haters quit trying to blame Gus for Harsin's failures and stop making false claims there will no longer be a need for people to inject reality into the discussion.

The next time you see the subject of Gus in some discussion, check to see who brought Gus up. 99% of the time it will be some hater.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Viper said:

He did??? Based on what? That he was told it would be a wise thing to research AU’s history, the creed and mention it in his opening presser? Wow that must have been an all-night crammer.

Seriously, what else was it about him on Day 1 that gave you hope he could efficiently recruit in a territory (AL/GA/FL) in which he had never done so prior?

I thought his background and history in coaching made him a promising hire. That was day one. Then I (wrongly) thought Bobo and Mason were good hires.

I became disillusioned and started questioning things when he failed to successfully close out the 2021 recruiting class in February 2021. It's been downhill since then.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The subject of Gus would seldom to never come up if the haters didn't post stuff like this (from an earlier thread) "Gus took over the UCF program and ran it into the ground" Fiction. And my favorite among many.

Fact: Gus took over a program that finished 6-5 the previous year and raised it up to 9-4, which included a bowl win over SEC member Florida.

Paraphrasing: "The wide receivers Gus brought into UCF cannot even beat out the Heupel holdovers". Fiction

Fact: Four wide receivers have caught passes this year for UCF. Three of them, including the leading receiver, were brought in by Gus.

When the haters quit trying to blame Gus for Harsin's failures and stop making false claims there will no longer be a need for people to inject reality into the discussion.

The next time you see the subject of Gus in some discussion, check to see who brought Gus up. 99% of the time it will be some hater.

No really, double down it makes you look extra super right!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I became disillusioned and started questioning things when he failed to successfully close out the 2021 recruiting class in February 2021. It's been downhill since then.

He was hired mid December of 2020 after early signing period. He had a month and a half to close it out. 247 had that class ranked 40th after early signing. 247 has the final class ranking as 18th. Meaning that Harsin improved the class by 22 spots with a month and a half of work. If you see that as a failure then I don't believe you ever really gave him a chance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bigbird said:

No really, double down it makes you look extra right!

Post something factual instead of some statement like this one that has nothing to do with anything. Go ahead, instead of gibberish, post some numbers about exactly who brought the subject of Gus up. That would be interesting information.

Something such as: "47 times Gus was mentioned in threads. XX times haters mentioned Gus first. XX times non-haters opened up the subject." That would be something worth knowing.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That would be something worth knowing.

Feel free to excuse yourself till you feel better prepared for the conversation.

2 minutes ago, nurbis said:

He was hired mid December of 2020 after early signing period. He had a month and a half to close it out. 247 had that class ranked 40th after early signing. 247 has the final class ranking as 18th. Meaning that Harsin improved the class by 22 spots with a month and a half of work. If you see that as a failure then I don't believe you ever really gave him a chance. 

You know why the ranking was so low when Harsin was hired? The numbers were low because several de-committed when there was a coaching change. The ranking had to raise when the numbers increased. Had all the new ones been 2* guys the ranking would still have come up significantly.