Georgia high school principal secretly recorded using racial slur in front of student, district says

Auburn85

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/georgia-high-school-principal-secretly-recorded-using-racial-slur-fron-rcna47364

A white high school principal in Georgia was secretly recorded by a student Friday using the N-word while comparing it to a slang term deemed offensive about white people, authorities said.

Jeff Cheney, the principal of East Forsyth High School in Gainesville, about 50 miles northwest of Atlanta, used the term while speaking to a white student in front of two other staff members, Forsyth County Schools said in a statement.

The meeting was about the student’s use of an offensive term, the district said.

“Cracker is slang for white and it’s the antonym to (full N word), which is a very offensive comment,” Cheney said, according to the district statement.

“He immediately recognized his mistakes in comparing the two words and using the full N word. Mr. Cheney contacted the district office and met with the parents of the student to disclose this information, apologize, and commit to rectifying these mistakes in the future.”

The district also said: “Forsyth County Schools believes that at no time and in no context should any variation of the N word be used. Students and adults make mistakes; Forsyth County School believes that we all can learn from our mistakes.”

Cheney was unavailable for an interview Monday, the district said. He did not immediately respond to an email to his district email address.

The goal of the meeting between Cheney and the student “was for the student to understand that we must all be sensitive and respectful to others,” the district said. “The student recorded the meeting without informing the three adults.”

The Forsyth County News reported that several families at the high school expressed concern after they saw the video.

Holly Evatt said her daughter first saw the video when it was shared in a group chat with other students. She showed it to her mom as soon as she got home from school that day, the newspaper reported.

“My daughter is half Black, so it really upset her,” Evatt said. “[I’m] angry that [Cheney] would feel comfortable enough to say that. Just outright say it without any hesitation right in front of a student. In front of anybody anyways, but at work and around children and he outright just says the word. To me, that could have just as easily been my daughter that he did that to.”

Why is this worthy of national news?  I think that it is insane that an educator with good intentions cannot speak frankly with a student when attempting to correct the student's behavior.  Are we really at the point of having to have only black teachers speak to black students and white to white students? 

• Like 2

It amazes me that these grown white men can continually manage to "accidently"  say words like this. 

At no point in my life has the 'N' word just 'slipped out' of my mouth. It's just something I've never said or even really thought about saying (Even in my early days as a Conservative republican) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

It amazes me that these grown white men can continually manage to "accidently"  say words like this. 

At no point in my life has the 'N' word just 'slipped out' of my mouth. It's just something I've never said or even really thought about saying (Even in my early days as a Conservative republican) 

Do you listen to Rap and say the words?

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

At no point in my life has the 'N' word just 'slipped out' of my mouth. It's just something I've never said or even really thought about saying (Even in my early days as a Conservative republican) as a democrat.

Fixed it for you.

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Me neither, but is that what he claimed?

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Me neither, but is that what he claimed?

You're right, he didn't "accidently" say it, he said it intentionally. 

I guess I consider something "slipping out" when a person "immediately" realizes it was wrong to say something even if they intentionally said it originally. 

21 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

He didn't call someone the N word.  It is just a word.  From what I read, he was telling a student not to use the word on campus.  Had he been a black principal, this would not have made the news.  My question is why that double standard exists in this particular situation.  This isn't a casual conversation.  This was a conversation addressing the topic with a student that was freely using language that wasn't acceptable on campus.  Would it be more fair to just expel any student?  Is it not preferable that the student be allowed to discuss the issue one on one with an administrator and the behavior corrected?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

He didn't call someone the N word.  It is just a word.  From what I read, he was telling a student not to use the word on campus.  Had he been a black principal, this would not have made the news.  My question is why that double standard exists in this particular situation.  This isn't a casual conversation.  This was a conversation addressing the topic with a student that was freely using language that wasn't acceptable on campus.  Would it be more fair to just expel any student?  Is it not preferable that the student be allowed to discuss the issue one on one with an administrator and the behavior corrected?

Were you meaning to quote me? I have not said anything that goes against what you have been saying. My response was a sarcastic response to Coffee's idiotic (and not surprising) statement bringing politics into the conversation. 

On your points, I agree that this should not be national news. This is totally different than a teacher or administrator casually using it and getting caught. 

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

Call me crazy, but it seems to me there's a qualitative difference in using a term to label someone or as an insult (even under the guise of "joking") and using a term in the context of literally talking about racial slurs and how we respond to them.  To me it seems a step too far to say that the only acceptable way to reference some slurs is to say something like "the n-word" while it's permissible to reel off other ones like honky, cracker,  blue-eyed devil, spic, wetback, chink and so on.  

I'm not saying we should be in the habit of saying any of these casually.  If you're going to discuss the issue of racial slurs and racially charged language you ought to be able to actually use the words.  This aversion to doing so feels like some weird non-religious version of "bad words" that you'd hear a Sunday School teacher refuse to say - instead of penis we get "tallywacker" or instead of the typical curse words we get stuff like "fudge", "darn", "shoot", and "gosh darn it" or "the f-word/s-word/G.D."

Again, not lobbying for free and unnecessary use of offensive terms.  Just that in an academic setting or when seriously discussing the very subject these words are about, can't we be adults about it?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Again, not lobbying for free and unnecessary use of offensive terms.  Just that in an academic setting or when seriously discussing the very subject these words are about, can't we be adults about it?

The answer to this is currently no.   The woke crowd have taken over and now the media has followed them in an effort to dictate what is allowed and not allowed 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Were you meaning to quote me? I have not said anything that goes against what you have been saying. My response was a sarcastic response to Coffee's idiotic (and not surprising) statement bringing politics into the conversation. 

On your points, I agree that this should not be national news. This is totally different than a teacher or administrator casually using it and getting caught. 

I apologize, I misunderstood your point or that it was sarcasm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Call me crazy, but it seems to me there's a qualitative difference in using a term to label someone or as an insult (even under the guise of "joking") and using a term in the context of literally talking about racial slurs and how we respond to them.  To me it seems a step too far to say that the only acceptable way to reference some slurs is to say something like "the n-word" while it's permissible to reel off other ones like honky, cracker,  blue-eyed devil, spic, wetback, chink and so on.  

I'm not saying we should be in the habit of saying any of these casually.  If you're going to discuss the issue of racial slurs and racially charged language you ought to be able to actually use the words.  This aversion to doing so feels like some weird non-religious version of "bad words" that you'd hear a Sunday School teacher refuse to say - instead of penis we get "tallywacker" or instead of the typical curse words we get stuff like "fudge", "darn", "shoot", and "gosh darn it" or "the f-word/s-word/G.D."

You aren't crazy. 

3 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

My response was a sarcastic response to Coffee's idiotic (and not surprising) statement bringing politics into the conversation. 

Yeah, It's almost like we're in the political smack talk forum or something. 

• Haha 1