Mikey defends Gus' OL recruiting...

bigbird

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

The 2025 roster won't be available for a while. Meantime, I've been told I'm using outdated data points. Requesting that updated data points be provided is therefore not an unreasonable request.

If mine are outdated then post the current ones seems simple enough.

Its an unreasonable request when new rules have just gone into place.  Surely even you are smart enough to realize that.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Its an unreasonable request when new rules have just gone into place.  Surely even you are smart enough to realize that.

He is, that's why he requested it and stated so in that way.  Intellectually dishonest and arguing in bad faith. It's a pattern of behavior.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

Have you forgotten about all our depth there?

I haven't forgotten about the depth we used to have and still have today, thanks to Coach Malzahn. Thing about college football, it's a revolving roster with a four/five year cycle. Any position needs to be constantly replenished. If a team wants to maintain, say, 18 scholarship O-line players it needs to sign roughly five each recruiting cycle.

Harsin has now had 1&1/2 recruiting cycles. He's should have signed roughly seven. He's signed two. He also at the moment has only one O-line player committed for the current cycle. The impending O-line depth disaster that AU faces next season is squarely on Harsin. He's been here long enough to have brought in several of his own guys. To date he's been living off Gus's players, many of who will have used up their eligibility after the current season. The extra year's eligibility because of COVID saved Harsin's bacon this season.

Maybe he can pull some from the portal, though he hasn't been able to even pull even one O-line from the portal to date.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well then, if the alleged new data points won't be available for several years, don't be complaining about the actual current data points that I provided.

Whether the NIL will have a significant effect on how far away  prospects might choose a college to attend is unknown. It may have nothing at all to do with that choice. Why would it?

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I haven't forgotten about the depth we used to have and still have today, thanks to Coach Malzahn. Thing about college football, it's a revolving roster with a four/five year cycle. Any position needs to be constantly replenished. If a team wants to maintain, say, 18 scholarship O-line players it needs to sign roughly five each recruiting cycle.

Harsin has now had 1&1/2 recruiting cycles. He's should have signed roughly seven. He's signed two. He also at the moment has only one O-line player committed for the current cycle. The impending O-line depth disaster that AU faces next season is squarely on Harsin. He's been here long enough to have brought in several of his own guys. To date he's been living off Gus's players, many of who will have used up their eligibility after the current season. The extra year's eligibility because of COVID saved Harsin's bacon this season.

Maybe he can pull some from the portal, though he hasn't been able to even pull even one O-line from the portal to date.

To say the OL issues are squarely on Harsin is a testament to how loyal you are to Gus. Bravo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well then, if the alleged new data points won't be available for several years, don't be complaining about the actual current data points that I provided.

Whether the NIL will have a significant effect on how far away  prospects might choose a college to attend is unknown. It may have nothing at all to do with that choice. Why would it?

Why would money have a significant effect on how far someone is willing to move?  Did you really just ask that?

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Why would money have a significant effect on how far someone is willing to move?  Did you really just ask that?

No. I asked why a far distant school would pay significantly more money than one nearby would pay. I don't see why they would, and that blows the "NIL changes the data points" idea out of the water.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No. I asked why a far distant school would pay significantly more money than one nearby would pay. I don't see why they would, and that blows the "NIL changes the data points" idea out of the water.

Because some schools have their NIL stuff together better or deeper pockets than others.

Why did Texas A&M gey kids from Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Arizona, and Washington last year?  $$$$$

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

To say the OL issues are squarely on Harsin is a testament to how loyal you are to Gus. Bravo.

Please read EXACTlY what I wrote. Here, I'll quote it for you: I wrote "The impending O-line depth disaster that AU faces next season is squarely on Harsin. "

That's undeniably true. Harsin has signed a grand total of two O-line prospects in his 1 & 1/2 completed recruiting cycles here. He also has only one O-line prospect committed this cycle. Additionally, in spite of the vast opportunities afforded by the transfer portal, Harsin has not brought in a single O-line transfer through the portal. Next season is Harsin's responsibility, sink or swim.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Because some schools have their NIL stuff together better or deeper pockets than others.

Why did Texas A&M gey kids from Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Arizona, and Washington last year?  $$$$$

Auburn has kids from Colorado, Australia, Africa, California, Maryland, Minnesota, Connecticut, Missouri, Germany, Nebraska, Illinois and Michigan on the roster this season. Most of them came here before the NIL even existed. There is no reason to think the NIL is going to change any "data points".

We'll always get most of our prospects from Alabama and the surrounding states and we'll always pick up a few from distant places. That's how it's always been and that's how it's likely to continue being. To claim otherwise is to say something that you can't possibly justify as being true.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Please read EXACTlY what I wrote. Here, I'll quote it for you: I wrote "The impending O-line depth disaster that AU faces next season is squarely on Harsin. "

That's undeniably true. Harsin has signed a grand total of two O-line prospects in his 1 & 1/2 completed recruiting cycles here. He also has only one O-line prospect committed this cycle. Additionally, in spite of the vast opportunities afforded by the transfer portal, Harsin has not brought in a single O-line transfer through the portal. Next season is Harsin's responsibility, sink or swim.

Yes, this OLine issue is solely on Harsin, who is in his second year. Aren't players generally on the roster for 3-5 years? Lack of depth doesnt happen overnight, it takes years of continual under recruiting to create this issue. 1 or 2 classes isnt going to solve the issue either.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, arein0 said:

Yes, this OLine issue is solely on Harsin, who is in his second year. Aren't players generally on the roster for 3-5 years? Lack of depth doesnt happen overnight, it takes years of continual under recruiting to create this issue. 1 or 2 classes isnt going to solve the issue either.

You'd have a point if Harsin had started taking corrective measures. To date his numbers of O-line recruits are smaller than Malzahn's were and Malzahn's numbers are what people are griping about.

Harsin signed ONE O-line recruit in each of his two classes and he's only got one lined up this time. There will be enough of Malzahn's holdovers to have starters next year but the depth people are griping about will be non-existent.

18 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

i-can-see-that-chief-cliff-robertson.gif

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

To date his numbers of O-line recruits are smaller than Malzahn's were

You're right, in 8years Gus did sign more OL than Harsin has in his 20 months.

First two classes...

Gus

2013(13th):  Xavier Dampeer 

Deon Mix

https://www.on3.com/college/auburn-tigers/football/2013/commits/

2014(6th): Braden Smith 

https://www.on3.com/college/auburn-tigers/football/2014/commits/

Harsin 

2021(22nd):  Garner Langlo 

Colby Smith 

https://www.on3.com/college/auburn-tigers/football/2021/commits/

2022(17th):  Eston Harris Jr.

https://www.on3.com/college/auburn-tigers/football/2022/commits/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@bigbirdCherry pick much? I see you omitted the year Gus signed 5 O-line guys.  Langlo committed to Auburn in May of 2020 and signed in the early signing period. Harsin gets no credit for that.

Your numbers are not accurate. You missed an OL signee in 2014. How many other years did you overlook one or more signees? Hint: 2014 would be a good place to start. https://auburn.rivals.com/commitments/football/2014

So far, if we are generous and say Harsin will sign the one guy he has committed then he'll average ONE O-line signee per year, three in three years. Show me a three year stretch when Gus signed only three O-line players.

If we're even more kind and assume Harsin will find more O-line guys to sign, then find a stretch where Gus only signed two O-line guys in consecutive years, one each year. Harsin has already earned that dubious distinction.

The portal has provided a great place for coaches to fill a needed void. Either Harsin doesn't see O-line numbers to be the problem that you think it is or he's failed miserably in bringing in O-line talent from the portal. I wonder which one it is?

• Facepalm 2

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Cherry pick much? I see you omitted the year Gus signed 5 O-line guys

Who exactly did I miss?

Also, Why would I? Was it in his first two years? 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Who exactly did I miss?

Also, Why would I? Was it in his first two years? 

That's why I gave you a link. This way you don't have to take my word for it.

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2022 at 11:01 AM, Mikey said:

Your link does have 2 in 2014 but look woi the 2 are. One is Dampeer. Bird had him just not in the correct year.  Langlo did sign early but because of coaching change could have left but Harsin convinced him to stay so he has 3 commits during his time here. All 3 are players who can play inside or Outside based on measurables.  I do agree Harsin should have signed more last year even if projects. Same complaint I had with Malzan.  So far this year we only have 1 commit that does not mean we will stay at one O-Line commit this year.  Lets wait till cycle is over both HS and Portal before we judge this class on O-Line.  I believe we sign 1-2 more HS O-Line in this class and probably 3 Portal O-Line.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Thanks 1

@bigbird, you're telling me Harsin is exactly as inept as Gus at signing Offensive Linemen in his first two seasons? Goooooood GRIEF! That's the biggest indictment of Harsin that I've seen since he started. Heck, I'd be more willing to deal with a extra-marital dalliance (which didn't happen and was very unfair to both Harsin and the slandered young lady) than to deal with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM from the prior regime!! At least bad behavior would be a new issue! This sucks.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's embarrassing for you.

Read better.  There's a reason I linked them for you too...even though you obviously ignored them, again.

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

@bigbird, you're telling me Harsin is exactly as inept as Gus at signing Offensive Linemen in his first two seasons? Goooooood GRIEF! That's the biggest indictment of Harsin that I've seen since he started. Heck, I'd be more willing to deal with a extra-marital dalliance (which didn't happen and was very unfair to both Harsin and the slandered young lady) than to deal with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM from the prior regime!! At least bad behavior would be a new issue! This sucks.

I agree. I've said every time that we are struggling with OL recruiting. Hell, I e been yelling it for years!  I've never once defended CBH's OL recruiting. In fact have said repeatedly that he needs to do a much better job.  I've just tried to not let idiots try and blame the whole mess on him when he inherited such a undermanned cluster of an OL room. He also deserves some credit for getting the the super seniors to return.  Imagine if he hadn't?

OL requires a lot of time in system before they become effective.  Look at our OL and list the Seniors, RS juniors, and Juniors. Those are the ones that should still be here if not for COVID.  

Also explain, if our OL has been so bad the last 4 years, then why do we have the exact same players starting?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1