Then: "We are a sanctuary city!!!!" Today: "NIMBY!"

DKW 86

9 hours ago, AUDub said:

Just smidge of tone deafness here. TX, FL, NM, AZ, CA are taking care of them every ******* day. I wonder how the folks in MV are going to do? Oh yea, they moved them to a ******* military base while chanting NIMBY!!!

• Thanks 1

Expressed as a fraction, my level of care at the denizens of Martha's Vineyard, along with Chicago, Washington D.C. and NYC being inconvenienced is diddly/squat.

I mean, if Texas and Florida are such shitholes, folks should be happy that the new arrivals are being shared with some of our brethren to the north and east. I mean, Texas is awful...just awful. Please don't come or stay. It's hot, dry, everyone is strapped and people are just so, so mean and ornery. 🤕😏

If only the Congress critters would actually take border security seriously (and that's the whole gutless crew of 'em...Dems play the compassion card, as long as they aren't personally affected by the influx, and the Reps talk a big game, but are happy being controlled opposition)...

Oh, by the way, and I'll be as nice as is warranted...go wrestle a porcupine, Bowser.

Eagle Pass, Del Rio, Edinburg and McAllen would like to have a word...several of them, actually.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Just smidge of tone deafness here. TX, FL, NM, AZ, CA are taking care of them every ******* day. I wonder how the folks in MV are going to do? Oh yea, they moved them to a ******* military base while chanting NIMBY!!!

Sure.  This is about as genuine as Desantis having to bring these people into Florida only to ship them out for the sole purpose of his own political ambitions.  Those Florida border towns are rough.  Can you be any more disingenuous?

The way to solve this issue is by dialogue and cooperation, real, genuine governing.  Too many are hopelessly lost in the entertainment of politics to be genuinely concerned with the challenges of governing.  You know, people who think Bill Mahr is more enlightening than say Frontline.

This nonsense is nothing but political theater.  There is nothing genuine about it.  It is politics over humanity.

Typical right wing politics.  The least of us must be the worst of us.  Punish them.

Your thoughts may play well in the political arena.   How do you think Jesus would respond?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I agree that much of the country needs to be paying more attention to the undue burden on border states. It's easy to throw shade when you don't have to deal with the problem.

However, I would point out that of the states you list, only Texas and Florida are shipping people, at least publicly, and the states they are targeting already have much higher than average illegal immigrant populations. I will grant that there is an added burden on the border states (which Florida is not) because of the initial influx before illegal immigrants filter out to other states, and that needs to be addressed, but California, Arizona, and New Mexico are not doing this (though I expect Arizona is considering it, for reasons that should be obvious) *Correction - Arizona is in fact doing this.

Moving immigrants to other states in and of itself didn't bother me much when it started. I can't say that I wouldn't do the same if I felt that other states and the Federal government were not addressing the problem, and I had to do something drastic to get attention. Even though I knew it was mainly being done as political grandstanding, I recognize that politicians will be politicians. However, in these two particular cases, using helpless people (particularly children) as pawns, outright lying to them, and genuinely putting their safety at risk crosses a big f***ing line. But then, that's what the modern Republican Party has become, isn't it? There is no act that is unacceptable, no line that can't be crossed, no shame to be had, as long as they own the libs. 

Edited by Leftfield
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Sure.  This is about as genuine as Desantis having to bring these people into Florida only to ship them out for the sole purpose of his own political ambitions.  Those Florida border towns are rough.  Can you be any more disingenuous?

The way to solve this issue is by dialogue and cooperation, real, genuine governing.  Too many are hopelessly lost in the entertainment of politics to be genuinely concerned with the challenges of governing.  You know, people who think Bill Mahr is more enlightening than say Frontline.

This nonsense is nothing but political theater.  There is nothing genuine about it.  It is politics over humanity.

Typical right wing politics.  The least of us must be the worst of us.  Punish them.

Your thoughts may play well in the political arena.   How do you think Jesus would respond?

I think Christ would have a lot to say about those that beat their chest in public about much they give to charity and support the poor but in reality dont do either, and dont have any righteousness in them at all.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Democrat DC Mayor Bowser Complains "We're Not A Border Town"
Even Though DC Is "Sanctuary City"

Some of us are just curious as to WTF the people lecturing us for the last 10-20-30 about Sanctuary Cities have actually been doing. It openly appears that theyu were doing nothing but virtue signalling. NOTHING.

Edited by DKW 86

Republicans are wearing cruelty as a badge of honor

Jennifer Rubin

Many in the media had a meltdown when President Biden called the MAGA movement “semi-fascist.” They tut-tutted because they said his speech in Philadelphia was too “divisive.” In reality, the fault in Biden’s speech is that he was not tough enough on Republicans.

Biden seems to believe there is a mass of normal, non-MAGA Republicans out there. If there is, it is a small minority in the party. Most are all too comfortable with the extremism and violent rhetoric of their peers.

Donald Trump and his flunkies have predicted violence if he were prosecuted for hoarding highly classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago resort. He did it again Thursday, declaring that if he were indicted, the country would have “problems ... the likes of which perhaps we’ve never seen before.” He added that Americans wouldn’t stand for prosecution.

His statement is an incitement to violence, plain and simple. It echoes the same rhetoric he deployed in the run-up to the attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. No pundit or Republican official who continues to defend Trump or who feigns outrage at characterizations that his movement is “fascist” can claim ignorance.

Scores of Republican election deniers are on the ballot, including many who actively sought to overturn the 2020 election (e.g., Doug Mastriano, candidate for Pennsylvania governor; Adam Laxalt, candidate for Senate in Nevada). To call these individuals “conservatives” or to treat them as garden-variety candidates is to conceal that they, too, are a threat to democracy.

The horror show does not stop there. The Post reported last week, “Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) claimed credit Thursday for flying dozens of migrants to Martha’s Vineyard, a resort island off Massachusetts, to make a political point about the record influx of those coming across the southern border.” Some called it “depraved”; others labeled it “inhumane.”

The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library hit the nail on the head with an apt historical comparison:

To embarrass Northern liberals and humiliate Black people, southern White Citizens Councils started their so-called "Reverse Freedom Rides," giving Black people one-way tickets to northern cities with false promises of jobs, housing, and better lives.https://t.co/xLpTjxG0PD pic.twitter.com/voiPBbwRuN

— JFK Library (@JFKLibrary) September 15, 2022

Let’s put it this way: Sending migrants to “liberal elites” attempts to use non-White human beings as “punishment.” This conduct is not only dehumanizing; it is racist.

As Jonathan V. Last explains at the Bulwark, DeSantis used migrants as “props” because “he saw that he could use them as a means to the ends of his personal ambition.” He concluded, “I’m trying — really trying — not to get too hot here. But Christians should look at this act and be revolted. They should be horrified.” Some are, no doubt, but the MAGA base is delighted, which is why DeSantis is doing it.

DeSantis is not alone. Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has repeatedly tried the same stunt. He first shipped busloads of undocumented people to D.C. and New York City in April. And Thursday, he sent them to Vice President Harris’s residence. It is no mystery why he chose the first African American vice president as the recipient of his stunt. This is how he chooses to spend taxpayers’ money (when he is not bullying LGBTQ children or forcing women to give birth against their will).

But there is more. Perhaps in tribute to Vladimir Putin, Republican Senate nominee Blake Masters of Arizona declared Thursday that he wants to “see all the generals get fired. You take the most conservative colonels, you promote them to general.” And presto, you have a Praetorian Guard! What could go wrong with such a thoroughly politicalized military, like those found in Russia and other dictatorships?

Meanwhile, another spasm of bigotry from Republican Senate nominee J.D. Vance of Ohio was uncovered last week. Back in January, he let loose this stream of bile that managed to merge racism, antisemitism and forced-birth extremism:

When asked about a possible federal ban on abortions, @JDVance1 suggested George Soros might charter planes to send Black women to California for abortions. https://t.co/LRZbFtAdVx pic.twitter.com/NLXU5pLmWA

— Anna Staver (@AnnaStaver) September 15, 2022

And I haven’t even bothered with the most notorious MAGA loudmouths, such as Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia, Arizona gubernatorial nominee Kari Lake or the election deniers running for secretary of state in Arizona and Nevada.

One wonders when the media will stop calling these Republicans “conservatives” and affix a more accurate label. With all due respect to the president, there is nothing “semi” about their brand of fascism.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2022 at 11:53 AM, DKW 86 said:

I think Christ would have a lot to say about those that beat their chest in public about much they give to charity and support the poor but in reality dont do either, and dont have any righteousness in them at all.

Christ would see thru the BS propaganda you routinely fall for.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Christ would see thru the BS propaganda you routinely fall for.

As he would yours as well...He would see thru it all. 

I at least do not use colored sunglasses at all. Neither Red nor Blue. 

7 hours ago, AUDub said:

Oof

What has any of this to do with Sanctuary Cities not doing what they told the world they were doing for years? Republicans lie? Sure do. Democrats lie? Same answer.

Edited by DKW 86

10 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

As he would yours as well...He would see thru it all. 

I at least do not use colored sunglasses at all. Neither Red nor Blue. 

Right. You tout a good array of MAGA talking points pretty regularly.

• Like 1