Does Calzada play on Saturday?

Barnacle

According to reports, Calzada has seen a significant increase in first team reps this week. This may support what I've suspected will happen in the case Finley gets his leash pulled: Calzada will take on Finley's role as the primary quarterback and passer, and Ashford will continue to play reps in his specialized role as a change of pace, and primarily running quarterback. 

For those wondering about the status and health of Calzada, this news certainly suggests that he is getting healthy and may now be an actual threat for playing time. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

According to reports, Calzada has seen a significant increase in first team reps this week. This may support what I've suspected will happen in the case Finley gets his leash pulled: Calzada will take on Finley's role as the primary quarterback and passer, and Ashford will continue to play reps in his specialized role as a change of pace, and primarily running quarterback. 

For those wondering about the status and health of Calzada, this news certainly suggests that he is getting healthy and may now be an actual threat for playing time. 

Interesting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Interesting. 

Thought the same thing. Considering the dumpster fire the QB situation is at TAMU right now it really makes you wonder how injured Calzada really was. Also as a HC if said QB is still only 80% and also in a new system do you make the call to sit him and continue to learn the offense since you’re playing lesser competition? Either way Harsin knows his job is on the line and would be stupid to let poor QB play cost him his job

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Thought the same thing. Considering the dumpster fire the QB situation is at TAMU right now it really makes you wonder how injured Calzada really was. Also as a HC if said QB is still only 80% and also in a new system do you make the call to sit him and continue to learn the offense since you’re playing lesser competition? Either way Harsin knows his job is on the line and would be stupid to let poor QB play cost him his job

If Harsin has confidence Calzada can play a clean game (no turnovers) and run the full offense, I can see where he would be tempted to trot him out there.

One interception and its likely ballgame. For either side.

1 minute ago, Didba said:

If Harsin has confidence Calzada can play a clean game (no turnovers) and run the full offense, I can see where he would be tempted to trot him out there.

One interception and its likely ballgame. For either side.

Well Robbie is just too eratic

TJ is lacking confidence to push the ball downfield. Under 20 yards he’s been serviceable. 
If Calzada can bring the vertical threat then your dumb not to do it. He had success at TAMU so who knows

• Like 1

pics or it didn't happen! lol

Coach Keys just said on the radio yesterday that they were thinking about expanding Ashford's role for the PSU game. Maybe if TJ has a bad game... but I can't see us playing 3 QBs as a game plan but we've all seen crazier things!! LOL whirlybird

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

TJ is lacking confidence to push the ball downfield. Under 20 yards he’s been serviceable. 
If Calzada can bring the vertical threat then your dumb not to do it. He had success at TAMU so who knows

clearly just bring Calzada in to throw a play action deep ball TD then switch back to TJ/Ashford, how can the coaches not see this it is so simple

/s

• Haha 2

I hope not...he's terrible.  Went to the A&M game last year, and wow...dog water.  I'd rather get Geriner in there if it comes down to it...but that's why I sit here and post for free on a message board rather than roam the sidelines (posting for free on a message board).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've seen it from three "insiders" now, with the latest one saying that not only is he getting first team reps, but he's getting 1/3rd of them. Harsin was pissed, rightfully so, at his Monday PC regarding QB play.

However, while ZC is still nicked up, I don't buy the injury excuse. I'm sure it was part of it, but I also think he got out-worked and beat out fair and square. Sounds like he took it as a wake up call and has done something to get back in good graces.

25 minutes ago, au302 said:

I've seen it from three "insiders" now, with the latest one saying that not only is he getting first team reps, but he's getting 1/3rd of them. Harsin was pissed, rightfully so, at his Monday PC regarding QB play.

However, while ZC is still nicked up, I don't buy the injury excuse. I'm sure it was part of it, but I also think he got out-worked and beat out fair and square. Sounds like he took it as a wake up call and has done something to get back in good graces.

I don’t follow insiders but todays the first I’ve heard any of this mentioned. As far as being beat out I’m sure he was. He missed spring and a large portion of summer workouts. Probably lost some zip and both touch on his throws and has taken a bit to get back up to speed. All 3 QBs have what it takes athletically. I’m more concerned between the ears.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If Calzada plays one of three things have happened.

• Doubtful - We're up by 40 in the 4th quarter
  • Likely - We're down by 2 or 3 scores in the 2nd Quarter.
  • Middle of the road - An LSU single series like TJ got last year
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Didba said:

clearly just bring Calzada in to throw a play action deep ball TD then switch back to TJ/Ashford, how can the coaches not see this it is so simple

/s

So simple as it's telegraphing your playbook for an opposing DC. :dead:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JerryAU said:

So simple as it's telegraphing your playbook for an opposing DC. :dead:

just like old times then?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Didba said:

just like old times then?

Absolutely like old times.

On a serious note, I hope one of these guys steps up tomorrow vs solid competition and TAKES the starting job for good.  This musical chairs at QB needs to end, only then will the offense evolve and get more creative down the stretch. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Absolutely like old times.

On a serious note, I hope one of these guys steps up tomorrow vs solid competition and TAKES the starting job for good.  This musical chairs at QB needs to end, only then will the offense evolve and get more creative down the stretch. 

No doubt.  I still don't mind running Robby in for the option plays but otherwise keep the starter on the field

I think Robby will have a role to run a few QB keepers no matter which of the other three is starter. I'm just not sure how effective his runs will be against most of the opposing defenses we will be facing. Unless there is an injury or a total meltdown I think TJ is our starting QB this year.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Hoke alluded to the same thing

26 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

If Calzada plays one of three things have happened.

• Doubtful - We're up by 40 in the 4th quarter
  • Likely - We're down by 2 or 3 scores in the 2nd Quarter.
  • Middle of the road - An LSU single series like TJ got last year

How bout if both offenses struggle and its 3-3  after 1st quarter? Harsin brings in Calzada for a spark? Coming in down by 2 or 3 scores ain't fair to the kid

This is the entire insider conversation 

Insider 1 told insider 2 that the reps were being split with the ones with all quarterbacks.

Insider 2 told insider 3 that the first team QB reps were up in the air. 

3 told 4 that after practice he was going to stop by and get a pizza and calzones on his way home. 

4 told 5 that he heard something about Calzada is on his way.

5 then repeated that Calzada would be the starter and bring home a victory. 

...and that's how it happened.😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6

If they are splitting reps among 3 quarterbacks, then that takes away some of those valuable reps from Finley.  They don't have an unlimited number of minutes or reps to practice their plays against the coverages and blitzes that Penn State has shown, so it is something that I'm just not sure about.  Aside from the injuries, they must like what Calzada brings to the table.  Aside from the 3 or 4 bad plays in the first two games, I thought that Finley has thrown some beautiful balls.  As always with AU football, it should be interesting.

We have a chance to control both lines of scrimmage.  Doing that would really help our QB situation and pass coverage.  Looking forward to the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

That might be design.  The coaches may feel that we don't have the receivers to stretch the field, maybe the don't feel our offensive line is capable of protecting the QB.  Then again maybe the coaches are just waiting for a big game such as this to stretch the field.