Recruiting Money datapoint

TigerHorn

On Austin Sports Radio today, they've been discussing recruiting visit costs. The 'Horns are a hot topic because they spent $280k on a SINGLE visit - Manning and eight other top recruits in for their OV. I don't know how you even do that for a weekend visit - maybe pay Beyonce to be their wakeup call?

Well, that prompted a look at how much other schools spend. UGA is the leader in the clubhouse for last year, having spent $3.6 MILLION on recruiting OV's. 

Folks, I just don't see AU ever spending that kind of money on just the visits. No matter who the coach is. 

13 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

On Austin Sports Radio today, they've been discussing recruiting visit costs. The 'Horns are a hot topic because they spent $280k on a SINGLE visit - Manning and eight other top recruits in for their OV. I don't know how you even do that for a weekend visit - maybe pay Beyonce to be their wakeup call?

Well, that prompted a look at how much other schools spend. UGA is the leader in the clubhouse for last year, having spent $3.6 MILLION on recruiting OV's. 

Folks, I just don't see AU ever spending that kind of money on just the visits. No matter who the coach is. 

and like the Manning family needed the $$ bath from longhorns🙄

6 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

I just don't see AU ever spending that kind of money on just the visits.

That is the game now.  It is strictly a business. 

If we do not play, we need to learn to be content with our team showing up and, making their best effort.

Still, it is a new day and, people will find creative ways to compete.  We aren't exactly the creative type though.  We are more the traditional type.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TigerHorn said:

The summary I saw had them spending over $600k over two big recruiting weekends. They also got 16 high quality commitments off of those weekends. Seems like not a bad investment in this day and age of the recruiting game

1 hour ago, fredst said:

The summary I saw had them spending over $600k over two big recruiting weekends. They also got 16 high quality commitments off of those weekends. Seems like not a bad investment in this day and age of the recruiting game

It's not the single investment that sells recruits on UT. It's the fact that UTexas can do it over and over again and not feel it. AU can't match that. Thuga and uat won't be able to forever either. 

• Like 2

The fact that Texas can spend that type of money and not blink and still not have been relevant since since 2009 is what I don't understand. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Recruiting Money datapoint
1 hour ago, gr82be said:

The fact that Texas can spend that type of money and not blink and still not have been relevant since since 2009 is what I don't understand. 

What you're missing is that Texas, until NIL, was one of the cleaner programs. Now with permission for everyone to get dirty, the gloves are off and the spurs are on. 

4 hours ago, fredst said:

That spending did not include NIL. Bet that is what closed the deal.

You mean we're not going to be able to spend as much money as the richest program in the country? Color me shocked!

If we can constantly land in the top 15 in recruiting rankings with top 10 class around 25% of the time, with OL included in those rankings, we should be good.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

That spending did not include NIL. Bet that is what closed the deal.

Likely. Shows what we’re up against going forward, at least until there is some consistent structure to how NIL can be handled. If it remains the Wild West going to be hard for AU to be more than middle-of-the-pack spending wise overall. Unfortunately, we’ve been mid-pack recruiting-budget spending by choice at least in the recent past

14 hours ago, gr82be said:

I've wondered if the culture around Austin doesn't infect their football program. They've hired the coaches, they've recruited the talent, their athletes have top-notch facilities, they have history and tradition. Something is amiss there and it's probably coming from outside the program. They have had all the pieces in place to contend nationally and the results have been dismal.

I remember Florida receiver Carlos Alvarez commenting after AU whipped them soundly in 1969?". "Football is like a rose, it's nice but not essential". Could that way of thinking be what's hurting them in Austin?

8 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

We prefer to spend our money on coaching buyouts. 

Bashed in the skull, right between the eyes, with the heavy hammer of reality.

It hurts. Oh how it hurts.

Edited by icanthearyou
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I've wondered if the culture around Austin doesn't infect their football program. They've hired the coaches, they've recruited the talent, their athletes have top-notch facilities, they have history and tradition. Something is amiss there and it's probably coming from outside the program. They have had all the pieces in place to contend nationally and the results have been dismal.

I remember Florida receiver Carlos Alvarez commenting after AU whipped them soundly in 1969?". "Football is like a rose, it's nice but not essential". Could that way of thinking be what's hurting them in Austin?

Probably the negative forums.

• Haha 2

UTx can and maybe should be dominant. All they need is the right guy leading and uniting the money (maybe that’s not possible). Sark may or may not be that guy. If Saban had ended up there as was rumored a thousand times…..I shudder to think about the results they could have achieved, particularly in a generally weak conference

On 9/16/2022 at 9:51 PM, Randman5000 said:

11318187.png?width=600&fit=bounds

Those are old numbers now (2019), I'd imagine they've bumped up a few million for the 2023 classes.  

You get what you pay for I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Newbomb said:

Everyone should be happy that Harvard does not go D 1 they over 53 billion dollars in endowments.

Go read the Texas thread in the rivals football forum