When does Harsin get fired?

AUinMS9528

11 hours ago, e808 said:

Prime is probably the biggest long shot of any coaches wanted. I doubt he leave his sons and has a lot of things that he wants to do for JSU. He is the biggest ambassador right now for HBCU schools. 

He absolutely wants to move up and coach. Now the question is would he think Auburn is a good school for him.....if I was him I doubt if I would trust this school at all. 

The 2 things that would be appealing is going head up with saban and the proximity to ATL and Florida. 

But d with our track record lately.....I doubt he'd be interested. And rightfully so.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He absolutely wants to move up and coach. Now the question is would he think Auburn is a good school for him.....if I was him I doubt if I would trust this school at all. 

The 2 things that would be appealing is going head up with saban and the proximity to ATL and Florida. 

But d with our track record lately.....I doubt he'd be interested. And rightfully so.

I love Sanders, and I think his recruiting would be an immediate success at Auburn.  But I question whether he could be the disciplinarian and cutthroat coach required in the SEC.  Right now, I think he's more of a "player's coach", which is not a bad thing, but is also not a great formula for success in the SEC.

As great as he was in college and the NFL, the lone knock against him was that he wasn't interested in tackling anybody.  That is an indication of toughness, or lack thereof.  Can he sit in a recruit's living room and smile and sell, then go Saban/Kirby and be tough as nails on that recruit when spring practice starts?  I'm not sure.  Maybe he can.

Georgia Tech is probably a better fit for him than the SEC.  Although if he is hired at AU, I would welcome him.

3 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I love Sanders, and I think his recruiting would be an immediate success at Auburn.  But I question whether he could be the disciplinarian and cutthroat coach required in the SEC.  Right now, I think he's more of a "player's coach", which is not a bad thing, but is also not a great formula for success in the SEC.

As great as he was in college and the NFL, the lone knock against him was that he wasn't interested in tackling anybody.  That is an indication of toughness, or lack thereof.  Can he sit in a recruit's living room and smile and sell, then go Saban/Kirby and be tough as nails on that recruit when spring practice starts?  I'm not sure.  Maybe he can.

Georgia Tech is probably a better fit for him than the SEC.  Although if he is hired at AU, I would welcome him.

I’d rather he not be at any P5 school within a 200 mile radius of Auburn.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I’d rather he not be at any P5 school within a 200 mile radius of Auburn.

Yes, I see what you're getting at.  He would attract recruits like a magnet.  And I wouldn't argue with his hire at AU if that happens.  I love the guy.  I'd just want to know that he would yell at crying babies in the front row like Saban/Kirby do.  But I'm not sure he has the personality to do that.

Edited by MaxCohen216

19 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

So, when we fire CBH in the next few weeks, can we get rid of the whole potato gang?   How many of them is there? Like 4 or 5?    Let’s see what Coach Caddy can do calling plays the last few games.   Maybe CJB or CZE can run the defense?   What do we have to lose?   All the potato gang are going to be looking for new jobs anyway.   Let’s give them a head start.  

Dream scenario is for him to get canned after UGA game (or before) and we go on a tear for coach Caddy and pull off some upsets remaining somewhat relevant for recruiting's sake.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I knew what you were doing lol. I didn’t care. As I said, he’s the only one I wouldn’t bother with. Everyone else, make them tell us no. I figured it was obvious enough and thus understood that calling him was like calling Belichick, and so didn’t warrant explanation. Hope that helps. War Eagle!

Does your board name have something to do with the current coaching staff or? 

20 minutes ago, Tigers77 said:

Does your board name have something to do with the current coaching staff or? 

No I joined this site back in 2010. It’s based on an old commercial about microwaveable potatoes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I would start using Smart as the model rather than Saban. Smart seems to be the better at this point(NIL ).

35 minutes ago, woodford said:

Dream scenario is for him to get canned after UGA game (or before) and we go on a tear for coach Caddy and pull off some upsets remaining somewhat relevant for recruiting's sake.

Caddy should not be the interim coach.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

So, when we fire CBH in the next few weeks, can we get rid of the whole potato gang?   How many of them is there? Like 4 or 5?    Let’s see what Coach Caddy can do calling plays the last few games.   Maybe CJB or CZE can run the defense?   What do we have to lose?   All the potato gang are going to be looking for new jobs anyway.   Let’s give them a head start.  

I think that could be hard to do. You still need a coaching staff, and you can't change your schemes in mid-season.

Plus, if you are an assistant, you know you will not be retained at the end of the season, and be looking for a job, so you want to perform well to maximize your opportunities when you are let go.

That said, you could promote a graduate assistant or move an off the field analyst into a coaching position.

15 hours ago, AU-24 said:

For the umpteenth time, Gus left Harsin enough talent to beat Ole Miss, LSU, Penn State and Alabama last year. If Bo doesn’t get hurt we probably win nine games last year, who did Harsin get that talent from?  An Auburn podcast was discussing how our defensive line and our offensive line are essentially the same as last year, why are they worse?The answer was given on the show: different offensive coordinator, different defensive coordinator and different quarterback. I guess that is on Gus? 😂

😂 A few on this board? The vast majority of our fan base wants Harsin gone yesterday. Laughingstock? We were the laughingstock when Greene refused to stay till January. After watching the Penn State game, we all know why he left preseason.  Since you brought up Greene; how many schools are begging for his services? Go ahead and list them here.

Is umpteenth more than 1,000?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I know we have butted heads before so I hope you don't take this wrong but I just respectfully disagree. If you watch him in all of his stops you actually see he's a very strict and disciplined coach. 

And going so far to say because he didn't try to tackle guys hard (which is debatable) that has things to do with how he would coach is a very far reach as well. 

In my head I certainly understand questioning people but I can't for the life of me see how a guy who was the best player at his position in the history of the game get so much doubt but so guy who nobody knows who couldn't even play the game can walk in and get support from people just because he was part of a staff.

Also too don't kid yourself and think smart and sabanare some super tough guys to recruits.....they bend and talk, and work thru problems to relate to players like everybody else. They win because they get the best players. Period. They get the best players because they build relationships with the players. Period. 

41 minutes ago, Muscle Shoals Tiger said:

Why not? Any reason?

Who should?

I think best choice is the Asst. HC or DC. They have a great deal more experience. The STC also is very experienced.

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I know we have butted heads before so I hope you don't take this wrong but I just respectfully disagree. If you watch him in all of his stops you actually see he's a very strict and disciplined coach. 

And going so far to say because he didn't try to tackle guys hard (which is debatable) that has things to do with how he would coach is a very far reach as well. 

In my head I certainly understand questioning people but I can't for the life of me see how a guy who was the best player at his position in the history of the game get so much doubt but so guy who nobody knows who couldn't even play the game can walk in and get support from people just because he was part of a staff.

Also too don't kid yourself and think smart and sabanare some super tough guys to recruits.....they bend and talk, and work thru problems to relate to players like everybody else. They win because they get the best players. Period. They get the best players because they build relationships with the players. Period. 

I agree with what you say about Sanders. The only thing I question is experience in the Coaching role.

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Do the super-talented ever become great coaches?  I think Deion's fighting that notion: "Those that can't, teach."

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I wouldn't say our past disagreements rose to the level of "butting heads"; more like honest disagreements.  And I can take honest disagreements.  I don't hold grudges.  Let's get along.

I haven't followed Sanders enough to know his history of being a "tough but fair" coach.  I know he is fair, and maybe he is tough as well.  Both traits are necessary to coach in the SEC.  I loved him as a player in both football and baseball.  I know he knows the football game.  He would be a great recruiter and ambassador for AU football, much like Bruce Pearl is for the basketball program.

In the end, if he is hired at AU, I'd support him wholeheartedly.  I don't mean to question his knowledge, character, or work ethic.  All of those are in good standing.  I just wonder if he can push players to "just before their breaking point" to get better and reach their full potential.  Some "meanness" (for lack of a better word) is almost certainly required in many circumstances.  I don't discount his ability in this area, I just honestly question it.

3 minutes ago, Prester John said:

Why not Dave Aranda?  

I think he will not even answer questions about it until after the season. Nebraska seems to be loading up for him. It would not surprise me to see him stay right where he is as he can get into the playoff and recruiting is good.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Do the super-talented ever become great coaches?  I think Deion's fighting that notion: "Those that can't, teach."

I mean depending on what your qualifier is for super-talented but I can think of several great coaches that were great players at the college level, maybe not pro though. Steve Spurrier comes to mind immediately but he may not be “super-talented”

Can we all agree that Sanders is probably a better higher than Harsin and Gus were at the time they were hired? 

when we hired Gus in 2012, I was fine with it but it was definitely begrudged by many as a “safe” hire. 

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

Can we all agree that Sanders is probably a better higher than Harsin and Gus were at the time they were hired? 

when we hired Gus in 2012, I was fine with it but it was definitely begrudged. H many as a “safe” hire. 

I would agree that he certainly has more upside. I think worries most people about Sanders is the unknown. At this point, I'm willing to take a chance. He's not my number one choice, but I'd certainly welcome him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

when we hired Gus in 2012, I was fine with it but it was definitely begrudged. H many as a “safe” hire. 

On coaching experience I would say definitely not. Sanders has just over 2 seasons as an FCS HC. Malzahn had several years as OC at different schools and showed success everywhere he was and then had the one year at ASU as HC where he did well. Harsin had both years as OC and HC in FBS and showed success.  

I think Sanders is a big risk on coaching experience but he does have years of knowledge from his time playing in the NFL.  I would prefer somebody with more experience at HC or at least several years as OC/DC at the FBS level.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Didba said:

when we hired Gus in 2012, I was fine with it but it was definitely begrudged by many as a “safe” hire. 

No I can’t because Coach sanders has exactly zero experience coaching at the power 5 or non-power 5 level. Now where he lacks at that , he gains in notoriety and playing the damn game. But I am never going to say someone is better when they have proven to be successful at the respective levels. With that being said , it is not a reason to not give him a chance.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Harsin is about to reel off about 6 wins in a row and everyone will feel foolish for all these coaches mentioned. How about Hugh Freeze.... Per Harsin " Hold my beer"....

In total auburn fashion ..Auburn is always so reactive. Never proactive. Too worried about what people think IMO. CBH is the type of guy I would have a beer with but he is not the right guy for this job. 

Edited by DAG