When does Harsin get fired?

AUinMS9528

Hiring Deion Sanders reminds me of Memphis hiring Penny Hardaway, but a worse idea.

It's something a desperate team does to stay relevant in the face of actual data. Not one that is made by a team that is supposed to be a perennial Top 25 team with the money, fan base, and conference alignment to support it. 

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

Hiring Deion Sanders reminds me of Memphis hiring Penny Hardaway, but a worse idea.

It's something a desperate team does to stay relevant in the face of actual data. Not one that is made by a team that is supposed to be a perennial Top 25 team with the money, fan base, and conference alignment to support it. 

not the same.. Penny was a big hire, went to memphis, born in memphis and has done a good job up until he got hit with some violations. They almost knocked Gonzaga out of the tourney.. he Is a perfect fit for that program and still has every opportunity to grow it back in to relevance along with support of memphians. 

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

On 9/17/2022 at 11:18 PM, gr82b4au said:

We stink. I am rooting for you guys this year (why not) but tonight was concerning. I mean you won which is the most important thing but it took a big return to put you ahead in the 4th quarter. I need you to win next week. 

thank u means a lot yes it was worrying  overall   but i think the team was looking ahead to tam and bama     and also ciny is a top 20 team as well   

sure i want to win next week but i want bama bad   i am starting to understand way bama is so haltable   arkansas always plays atm well  even during the morris years   they did   

13 hours ago, AUDevil said:

My opinion just based on my gut…

Primetime is flashy, Auburn football is not flashy. That will rub the PTB the wrong way at some point.  Our fans have freaked out over orange jerseys, pop music played during games, nicknaming our stadium the jungle, and countless other details that don’t really matter but don’t “fit” some people’s idealistic view of AU as a traditional, uppity, southern school.  I just don’t see a large enough group of the PTB trusting their precious, precious baby to Deion Sanders.  And if they do, it’s a short leash and micromanagement.  Deion doesn’t strike me as the guy who can be micromanaged.

And that’s just our side of things.  Do you see him happy in Auburn for a long time?  I think he’d view us as a stepping stone.

This is the best argument against Deion that I've seen. 

13 minutes ago, AUFAN1972 said:

How many years of college HC experience did Gus have when AU hired him ?

Not enough

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Primetime is flashy, Auburn football is not flashy. That will rub the PTB the wrong way at some point.  Our fans have freaked out over orange jerseys, pop music played during games, nicknaming our stadium the jungle, and countless other details that don’t really matter but don’t “fit” some people’s idealistic view of AU as a traditional, uppity, southern school.  I just don’t see a large enough group of the PTB trusting their precious, precious baby to Deion Sanders.  And if they do, it’s a short leash and micromanagement.  Deion doesn’t strike me as the guy who can be micromanaged.

And that’s just our side of things.  Do you see him happy in Auburn for a long time?  I think he’d view us as a stepping stone.

Does this standard apply to Bruce? Music and jungle are there. I don’t hear any complaints about it at the Arena. Bruce invents new shirts all the time.

22 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Does this standard apply to Bruce? Music and jungle are there. I don’t hear any complaints about it at the Arena. Bruce invents new shirts all the time.

Bruce created the current electric atmosphere of AU basketball, thankfully we were in a position to be patient about it due to our previous lackluster basketball history. Nobody got in his way because they simply didn’t care as much about basketball as they did football—and thank the lord for that. 

Basically, basketball is a young person’s sport. Our football team, while rich in tradition, is due for some more flare and pizazz. We’ve become incredibly boring and corny. “We Get Hard” or whatever that dumb, misspelled  s*** was that came out is a prime example. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

The biggest difference in this equation is Bruce has the resume and has experience within the conference.

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

No, because basketball isn’t the baby at Auburn.  Not as much meddling from those guys…they leave him be to do his thing.  Wonderful how that works.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cbo said:

This is the best argument against Deion that I've seen. 

I have to admit those are some good points @AUDevilbrought up but if we bring in Deion and win in recruiting and then win on the field those gripes will only be argued by a few. Having Deion would sure make this board a lot more fun regardless.

• Like 1

What is our biggest problem on the field right now? I say lack of overall talent... Who fixes that the quickest?  We all know the answer to that. Why not bring in Sanders??. Some here have said we'll have to go thru 3 or 4 coaches b4 we get it right.. If Sanders doesn't work out the cupboard will be full for the next guy.. And if it does work with Sanders, we would have him 3 or 4 yrs till the   NFL came calling.. Its risky with Sanders lack of experience but the reward could be huge...Some Power 5 is gonna hire him... He has already interviewed at TCU and Arky... why not us?

21 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Well that stepping stone would be ok with me just for the fact of recruiting if he did leave for somehwere else he wouldn't be leaving the cupboard bare like the last two. 🤷

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Bruce created the current electric atmosphere of AU basketball, thankfully we were in a position to be patient about it due to our previous lackluster basketball history. Nobody got in his way because they simply didn’t care as much about basketball as they did football—and thank the lord for that. 

Basically, basketball is a young person’s sport. Our football team, while rich in tradition, is due for some more flare and pizazz. We’ve become incredibly boring and corny. “We Get Hard” or whatever that dumb, misspelled  s*** was that came out is a prime example. 

This^^^ Ive been saying this. Unfortunately our tradition is being middle of the pack for us which isn't great for recruiting, I'm not saying be desperate but I don't think Deion is a flash in the pan coach or being desperate and trying to compare him to Gus or Harsin is asinine the man has been in football in some form or fashion since he was a kid, knows the ins and outs of it like the back of his hand hell Gus couldn't even pull on his jockstrap, Again I'm not saying we should go fully against tradition but damn I'm tired of being just middle of the pack and I think Deion with some great assistance around him would take us the that next level just because it's him. 🤷 I know some of y'all are saying but what about how long he has been a HC ok and? He is different just for the fact of his name alone plus I guarantee if we hire him recruits would add us to the there list just because of him and get us in the door. IMO.

41 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

This^^^ Ive been saying this. Unfortunately our tradition is being middle of the pack for us which isn't great for recruiting, I'm not saying be desperate but I don't think Deion is a flash in the pan coach or being desperate and trying to compare him to Gus or Harsin is asinine the man has been in football in some form or fashion since he was a kid, knows the ins and outs of it like the back of his hand hell Gus couldn't even pull on his jockstrap, Again I'm not saying we should go fully against tradition but damn I'm tired of being just middle of the pack and I think Deion with some great assistance around him would take us the that next level just because it's him. 🤷 I know some of y'all are saying but what about how long he has been a HC ok and? He is different just for the fact of his name alone plus I guarantee if we hire him recruits would add us to the there list just because of him and get us in the door. IMO.

I am starting to get on the Sanders Hype train. I do not want anymore retreads. No Bill O Brien types. I honestly not crazy for Lane Kiffin. Jeff Grimes is known as a developer but you guys love the question of can he recruit?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am starting to get on the Sanders Hype train. I do not want anymore retreads. No Bill O Brien types. I honestly not crazy for Lane Kiffin. Jeff Grimes is known as a developer but you guys love the question of can he recruit?

Welcome to the hype train for Sanders all are welcome but be prepared for scrutiny from some old timers, It's ok though because if we hired him and we start getting recruits and wins it will die down. 😎

200w.gif

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Grimes is also on my list along with Stoops both of which I think could do an excellent job here but it would take them time,  I don't think it would take Sanders that long to get the recruits we need to start winning. 

1 minute ago, autiger88 said:

Grimes is also on my list along with Stoops both of which I think could do an excellent job here but it would take them time,  I don't think it would take Sanders that long to get the recruits we need to start winning. 

Correct. How patient are people going to be? I am not huge on Stoops but he isn't a bad pick. Sanders would bring instant excitement but some of these fools would be against him Day 1 of his hiring.

• Love 1

Just now, DAG said:

Correct. How patient are people going to be? I am not huge on Stoops but he isn't a bad pick. Sanders would bring instant excitement but some of these fools would be against him Day 1 of his hiring.

Yeah I know and I'm afraid one of those reason is because we'll I'm not really wanting to go there but I think you get what I'm putting down. 😒

If we got either of those two I would still be excited and they will show promise enough I think to quite the crowd in regards to recruiting especially the OL with Grimes unlike what our current HC has done. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

Back to the thread title in question. I would bet he gets fired after the Georgia game. They're probably going to make him wear that one.

I agree with this unless he loses to Mizzou at home. I think that would just be too embarrassing to let slide. A blowout loss to Mizzou? I bet he would find out during his post game presser from the sideline reporter.

2 minutes ago, StuckMic91 said:

I agree with this unless he loses to Mizzou at home. I think that would just be too embarrassing to let slide. A blowout loss to Mizzou? I bet he would find out during his post game presser from the sideline reporter.

Yes, I would agree with you, but I think Auburn wins on Saturday. 

Let this bum go take that Arizona State job. He'd be perfect for it.

Just now, woodford said:

Yes, I would agree with you, but I think Auburn wins on Saturday. 

Let this bum go take that Arizona State job. He'd be perfect for it.

That would be best for both parties. Unfortunately for us I think he is stubborn and with the February debacle he is going to make Auburn pay up. He just seems like the kind of guy to try and “burn it down”.

• Like 1