When does Harsin get fired?

AUinMS9528

It's so dumb to me man. First of all what's the likelihood there's a coach out there available that's so head and shoulders above coaches like saban and smart that recruiting wouldn't matter?

Now who is the one person that can actually recruit with them? But we're going to scoff at that because we want to say we don't know if he can coach with them. When we don't know that about ANYBODY but we do know they can't recruit with them.

So instead of taking a chance like we did with Pearl, we want to go back and try the same ol, same ol. Stuff like this is why I started saying 3 years ago, we will get what we deserve. We're in the middle of it

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

not to make it a racial thing but Sanders would immediately polarize and put Auburn in a unique position juxtaposed against a Brian kelley, leach, kiffin, Saban when it comes to walking in to a recruits home and that could be extremely interesting. we have to give him an offer -- if he doesn't accept it then he doesn't accept it but we have got to try. 

My guy, Nick Saban has 7 national championship rings and has put countless guys in the NFL. 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Gus has proven to be an average coach at the power 5 and probably a good coach in non-power 5

CBH has proven to be a bad coach the power and a good coach at the non-power 5.

Seems pretty simple to me. No clue why people want to argue for either. Neither are deserving of a place like Auburn. 

Not sure anybody on here has argued that CBH or CGM is the right guy at Auburn. But some people act like neither one has a clue about football. It is ok to say that they are both good coaches, but not the fit for Auburn. 

It's the same with any "relationship." Even in dating/marriages.. if I'm dating a girl and we don't work out - does that make us a horrible option for anyone else in the future? Does that mean we must step down and lower our standards in the future? Sometimes, it just doesn't work. 

And just because you fail at 1 P5 school doesn't mean you're a POS P5 coach. 

Auburn is the idiot who keeps giving paying these big buyouts... and future coaches know it. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Sanders said:

Not sure anybody on here has argued that CBH or CGM is the right guy at Auburn. But some people act like neither one has a clue about football. It is ok to say that they are both good coaches, but not the fit for Auburn. 

It's the same with any "relationship." Even in dating/marriages.. if I'm dating a girl and we don't work out - does that make us a horrible option for anyone else in the future? Does that mean we must step down and lower our standards in the future? Sometimes, it just doesn't work. 

And just because you fail at 1 P5 school doesn't mean you're a POS P5 coach. 

Auburn is the idiot who keeps giving paying these big buyouts... and future coaches know it. 

Let me stop you right there. There is literally people making the argument we shouldn’t have fired Gus. Gus should’ve been fired regardless of how bad CBH is doing. Neither are good coaches at this level .  

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He really doesn't and there's no other coach being questioned if they actually understand football. No other coach has been called a gimmick or coaching is a toy to them. 

But actually that was my bad, it won't happen again. You guys don't want to really have a convo

I think we all want to have a conversation. You just want to have a certain type of conversation. You want us all to say "omg please hire Deion" but we express concerns and of course that makes ignorant, and we just don't understand the sport like you do.

"You want it the one way, but it's the other way" - Marlo

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Let me stop you right there. There is literally people making the argument we shouldn’t have fired Gus. Gus should’ve been fired regardless of how bad CBH is doing. Neither are good coaches at this level .  

I am in agreement with you. I don't have time to read every post on the forum, so I am sure that some people on here are still in love with CGM. I can't explain it - other than him beating Alabama a few times. But I think most of us (the ones who want better) would agree that we'd take 11-1 (with a loss to Alabama) over 8-4, 7-5, 9-3 (on a great year). 

My comment was just to say that CGM is a good coach. Not for Auburn, but he is a good coach. Harsin will be the same. I'd be rooting hard for Harsin - but his inability to recruit has done me in. The inability to hire the right guys to coach with him. He should've known after last season that he needs coaches with SEC experience.. 

Anyway.. I'm def for looking at Deion Sanders.. his ability to hype a program and recruit the way he has at JSU is pretty remarkable.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Correct. How patient are people going to be? I am not huge on Stoops but he isn't a bad pick. Sanders would bring instant excitement but some of these fools would be against him Day 1 of his hiring.

Any coach we hire is going to be scrutinized until they prove themselves and even then ppl will still scrutinize the head coach no matter who it is. It will just be less ppl when we win.

I'm kind of worried he would choose georgia tech because of it being in Atlanta and a place he is familiar with. Hope some of our star power could help convince him to come here.....Bo, Charles, Frank from his generation.

I would be surprised if Deion left his kid to come to Auburn.  Even more surprised if he brought him with.

He's definitely an interesting candidate and wouldn't be the dumbest thing we've ever done, lol.

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

While I agree, I do wonder how CBH could do given everything his predecessor was

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

While I agree, I do wonder how CBH could do given everything his predecessor was

Well chances are if his predecessor has an adequate offensive line he probably wouldn’t have gotten fired. So i don’t know how fair that question truly is . 

To dig further on this, year one , I gave him a pass for that. Year 2 you don’t really get a pass for me. Granted that stupid stuff happen in the spring but with the NIL/Portal, you got to make something work. It seems like we are regressing badly. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes, and years before it actually happened. 

Auburn should definitely reach out to Deion, who I'm sure either has already or will be contacted by other P5 teams in the near future. It doesn't mean he'd accept an offer, but it might take someone of his confidence to take on this job. We've had more than a dozen years of roller coasters and revolving doors/buyouts. It's a risky bet. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, woodford said:

I think we all want to have a conversation. You just want to have a certain type of conversation. You want us all to say "omg please hire Deion" but we express concerns and of course that makes ignorant, and we just don't understand the sport like you do.

"You want it the one way, but it's the other way" - Marlo

No you guys are so insecure that it's ok for you to disagree but when someone has an opinion of your opinion then it's feelings are hurt. I doubt anybody called you ignorant and definitely nobody said I know more than you....

Which that is funny to me as well because you all slobber over anybody from the paid stuff when they speak but nobody has the insecurity when they talk and they do say they know more than all of you, but you be damned if I talk confidently......that's a problem to you. 

But I could care less about anybody being mad at me because I speak up. Everything I say I can back up and have an actual intellectual debate about. I don't troll. I can't be shamed for having morals.....

A man has to have a code-Omar

Gus needed solid oline play for his offense to be successful, no matter what version of the offense he had at the time. Imo his biggest killer was making terrible Oline coach hires and failing to recruit talented offensive lineman at a consistent level. Had he done that, his offenses would probably always be good enough to compete for championships. 

• Like 2

Also this is my thinking .

You know the offensive line sucks. You have to get skill players to somewhat offset that. Unfortunately, you alienated everyone Initially. I would be fine with that if you are winning but if you aren’t winning, you got to play the game. Now , you can’t even throw money at elite recruits because the big wallet guys don’t trust you.

Thats one thing I think Deion Sanders can do. He knows how to promote and sell a brand. He made having an alter ego cool. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's so dumb to me man. First of all what's the likelihood there's a coach out there available that's so head and shoulders above coaches like saban and smart that recruiting wouldn't matter?

Now who is the one person that can actually recruit with them? But we're going to scoff at that because we want to say we don't know if he can coach with them. When we don't know that about ANYBODY but we do know they can't recruit with them.

So instead of taking a chance like we did with Pearl, we want to go back and try the same ol, same ol. Stuff like this is why I started saying 3 years ago, we will get what we deserve. We're in the middle of it

I don't care if he can or can't coach as long as he is a leader of men he can find coordinators to head the offense and defense however he uniquely played both sides and may help baseball recruiting a smidgen too. It sure wouldn't hinder any sport having a celebrity head coach.

1 minute ago, AU80cruiser said:

I don't care if he can or can't coach as long as he is a leader of men he can find coordinators to head the offense and defense however he uniquely played both sides and may help baseball recruiting a smidgen too. It sure wouldn't hinder any sport having a celebrity head coach.

I think he's shown that, but these are the questions I'd expect. Most of the questions on here has been does he even have coaching ability. I find that to be ridiculous

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ryan Sanders said:

I am in agreement with you. I don't have time to read every post on the forum, so I am sure that some people on here are still in love with CGM. I can't explain it - other than him beating Alabama a few times. But I think most of us (the ones who want better) would agree that we'd take 11-1 (with a loss to Alabama) over 8-4, 7-5, 9-3 (on a great year). 

My comment was just to say that CGM is a good coach. Not for Auburn, but he is a good coach. Harsin will be the same. I'd be rooting hard for Harsin - but his inability to recruit has done me in. The inability to hire the right guys to coach with him. He should've known after last season that he needs coaches with SEC experience.. 

Anyway.. I'm def for looking at Deion Sanders.. his ability to hype a program and recruit the way he has at JSU is pretty remarkable.

Gus has not been a good coach since the rule changes neutered his offense.

• Like 1

Just now, Didba said:

Thank you. I do NOT know how someone can think he is a good coach. He is a good recruiter to an extent. A good person. Good coach? Nah

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Gus needed solid oline play for his offense to be successful, no matter what version of the offense he had at the time. Imo his biggest killer was making terrible Oline coach hires and failing to recruit talented offensive lineman at a consistent level. Had he done that, his offenses would probably always be good enough to compete for championships. 

i agree with this mostly. 2010 was possible because of Cam and the heavy vet oline from tubberville. 2013 was possible from the heavy vet oline from chizik's recruiting.

edit: i should say vet heavy TALENTED olinmen. not just upperclassmen, though they were that too.

Edited by fasttimes

We're in a situation right now that you need somebody that has credibility. You need somebody that kids really think you have their best interest. And our fan base needs to understand football doesn't work like the movies,....It's not as simple as somebody yelling and saying we're tough

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Didba said:

And,,, he was too stubborn to adjust.  Great coaches do not get locked into the past.  They understand that the game is constantly evolving.

• Like 1

I'm intrigued by Sanders

I believe he'd be able to recruit

I believe he's a great motivator

I believe he's a good leader

I have no idea about his x's and o's

I have no idea about his ability to run an SEC program

I believe he deserves a shot, I mean if he was gone in a few years he probably won't leave us with an empty cupboard. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1