When does Harsin get fired?

AUinMS9528

22 minutes ago, nurbis said:

On coaching experience I would say definitely not. Sanders has just over 2 seasons as an FCS HC. Malzahn had several years as OC at different schools and showed success everywhere he was and then had the one year at ASU as HC where he did well. Harsin had both years as OC and HC in FBS and showed success.  

I think Sanders is a big risk on coaching experience but he does have years of knowledge from his time playing in the NFL.  I would prefer somebody with more experience at HC or at least several years as OC/DC at the FBS level.   

Well obviously not on a straight experience level, I guess I meant higher upside/floor. Potential to be a great SEC coach. He’s older than I expected to at 55

Edited by Didba

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

No I can’t because Coach sanders have exactly zero experience coaching at the power 5 or non-power 5 level. Now where he lacks at that , he gains in notoriety and playing the damn game. But I am never going to say someone is better when they have proven to be successful at the respective levels. With that being said , it is not a reason to not give him a chance.

I should have caveated it “notwithstanding his lack of experience at higher levels…”

I won't pretend that there's not a scenario where Deion can't sell me (and by effect the University) on why he'd be a good fit, but it would 100% be predicated on the staff he would bring along. And that staff needs to know the Southeastern recruiting landscape and be proven developers of talent.

As RiR put it, we as a program cannot afford to botch this next hire. Sanders as far as we know, is a complete unknown outside of his perceived recruiting prowess, and to be fair how much of Travis Hunter's decision was influenced by Barstool's lucrative NIL deal?

That's why Deion isn't the top of my list.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Didba said:

when we hired Gus in 2012, I was fine with it but it was definitely begrudged by many as a “safe” hire. 

Gus was on the AD’s radar from back in his high school days.  I truly think he was viewed as the eventual head coach when Chizik was hired.  They hired the best recruiters, gave the D to Chiz and Roof, and let Gus do his thing on O.  When all those players got in trouble and 2012 was looming they suggested that Gus get the heck out for a season until the mess was cleared.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

I should have caveated it “notwithstanding his lack of experience at higher levels…”

Well you can’t really take that proponent away ( well you could haha) that is huge lol. It’s like asking who is a better basketball player when one players at the collegiate level and the other at the professional level, but then discount that parameter. That is a very important variable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Gus was on the AD’s radar from back in his high school days.  I truly think he was viewed as the eventual head coach when Chizik was hired.  They hired the best recruiters, gave the D to Chiz and Roof, and let Gus do his thing on O.  When all those players got in trouble and 2012 was looming they suggested that Gus get the heck out for a season until the mess was cleared.

Agreed. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well you can’t really take that proponent away ( well you could haha) that is huge lol. It’s like asking who is a better basketball player when one players at the collegiate level and the other at the professional level, but then discount that parameter. That is a very important variable. 

This is true, I guess I was more trying to say, if Auburn hired all three in a vacuum, imo, Deon would have the highest upside/potential at the start. 

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

This is true, I guess I was more trying to say, if Auburn hired all three in a vacuum, imo, Deon would have the highest upside/potential at the start. 

Yes I would agree with this 100 %

• Like 1

I’m jumping in on the Sanders talk.  He may be my second choice because I am intrigued by him.   I remember despising him when he was at FSU.  He was such a showboat, so arrogant and immature.  However, he seems to have gained a great deal of maturity (I would hope so by now) and I like his approach with his kids in the film clip I saw of the locker room where he was getting onto them. He stormed out of the room, let them think about it, then came back in and softened it a little to show that he believed in them.  I think he has the charisma to be a head coach in the Power 5, but I agree that it ALL depends on who he would hire as assistants.  Is his ego too big to bring someone like Rodney Garner back home?

Edited by 3rdgeneration
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I know we have butted heads before so I hope you don't take this wrong but I just respectfully disagree. If you watch him in all of his stops you actually see he's a very strict and disciplined coach. 

And going so far to say because he didn't try to tackle guys hard (which is debatable) that has things to do with how he would coach is a very far reach as well. 

In my head I certainly understand questioning people but I can't for the life of me see how a guy who was the best player at his position in the history of the game get so much doubt but so guy who nobody knows who couldn't even play the game can walk in and get support from people just because he was part of a staff.

Also too don't kid yourself and think smart and sabanare some super tough guys to recruits.....they bend and talk, and work thru problems to relate to players like everybody else. They win because they get the best players. Period. They get the best players because they build relationships with the players. Period. 

What does that have to do with coaching?

Second bold is spot on. Deion can probably do that. I still want someone who experience in building a program and scoring points,

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I think he will not even answer questions about it until after the season. Nebraska seems to be loading up for him. It would not surprise me to see him stay right where he is as he can get into the playoff and recruiting is good.

Agreed. I would never leave a B1G or Pac 12 job right now (if you care about winning).

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Do the super-talented ever become great coaches?  I think Deion's fighting that notion: "Those that can't, teach."

I guess the other thing to think about is how many super talented has been given the opportunity to coach and were horrible. Then the other thing to think is look at all the people who weren't super talented that sucked at coaching as well

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I wouldn't say our past disagreements rose to the level of "butting heads"; more like honest disagreements.  And I can take honest disagreements.  I don't hold grudges.  Let's get along.

I haven't followed Sanders enough to know his history of being a "tough but fair" coach.  I know he is fair, and maybe he is tough as well.  Both traits are necessary to coach in the SEC.  I loved him as a player in both football and baseball.  I know he knows the football game.  He would be a great recruiter and ambassador for AU football, much like Bruce Pearl is for the basketball program.

In the end, if he is hired at AU, I'd support him wholeheartedly.  I don't mean to question his knowledge, character, or work ethic.  All of those are in good standing.  I just wonder if he can push players to "just before their breaking point" to get better and reach their full potential.  Some "meanness" (for lack of a better word) is almost certainly required in many circumstances.  I don't discount his ability in this area, I just honestly question it.

I think you should look at some of his stuff. He is very demanding as a coach. I've seen him get all his managers and marketing people and media and film crew and demand that they all get better. I think you are going off what you think he might would act but he's not a pushover at all

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I’m jumping in on the Sanders talk.  He may be my second choice because I am intrigued by him.   I remember despising him when he was at FSU.  He was such a showboat, so arrogant and immature.  However, he seems to have gained a great deal of maturity (I would hope so by now) and I like his approach with his kids in the film clip I saw of the locker room where he was getting onto them. He stormed out of the room, let them think about it, then came back in and softened it a little to show that he believed in them.  I think he has the charisma to be a head coach in the Power 5, but I agree that it ALL depends on who he would hire as assistants.  Is his ego too big to bring someone like Rodney Garner back home?

Sanders can also help the baseball team recruit!!!!! 😍😎

oh-snap-parks-and-rec.gif

Edited by VegasEagle

17 minutes ago, woodford said:

What does that have to do with coaching?

Second bold is spot on. Deion can probably do that. I still want someone who experience in building a program and scoring points,

What it has to do is you have all these candidates and it's hilarious that the guy who's shown to be one of the smartest players is the guy that gets questioned about his knowledge. And you can't bold out that part but then not highlight the rest. You question this guy but a guy with no resume isn't getting those questions simply because he was on a staff with somebody that has a good reputation. 

• Like 1

I'm sold on Sanders from a coaching and players standpoint. But can he mesh with the big money people at AU? Yeah you don't need to if you win but i think whoever is coach is going to need the big money backing to get the roster rebuilt. Does Sanders' name recognition and popularity with players take away the need to mesh with boosters out of the gate?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I don't think we'd have a strong shot at Sanders but enough to warrant a valiant attempt at getting him.

nothings funnier then reports that Arizona State is after Deion .. absolutely no shot for that program but nonetheless the reports abound

Sanders might relish in the thought of going up against Saban and Smart, and besting them.  Sanders is a competitor, so he might welcome the opportunity to lead AU and challenge UA and UGA.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

I'm sold on Sanders from a coaching and players standpoint. But can he mesh with the big money people at AU? Yeah you don't need to if you win but i think whoever is coach is going to need the big money backing to get the roster rebuilt. Does Sanders' name recognition and popularity with players take away the need to mesh with boosters out of the gate?

Yes.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Does Sanders' name recognition and popularity with players take away the need to mesh with boosters out of the gate?

Hell this alone might be a reason to hire him

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What it has to do is you have all these candidates and it's hilarious that the guy who's shown to be one of the smartest players is the guy that gets questioned about his knowledge. And you can't bold out that part but then not highlight the rest. You question this guy but a guy with no resume isn't getting those questions simply because he was on a staff with somebody that has a good reputation. 

People need to look at his staff in Jackson.  It's better than what we have in Auburn right now.

When you can convince a former NFL DC to come be your DC at JSU, you've got something as a coach.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

He absolutely wants to move up and coach. Now the question is would he think Auburn is a good school for him.....if I was him I doubt if I would trust this school at all. 

The 2 things that would be appealing is going head up with saban and the proximity to ATL and Florida. 

But d with our track record lately.....I doubt he'd be interested. And rightfully so.

I guess we will find out. It’s just hard for me to believe he would leave his sons high and dry. It’s not like he needs the money. I do believe he would move up just not now. 

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

I guess we will find out. It’s just hard for me to believe he would leave his sons high and dry. It’s not like he needs the money. I do believe he would move up just not now. 

Why would he leave his sons high and dry? Is there something I don’t know ?

24 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I don't think we'd have a strong shot at Sanders but enough to warrant a valiant attempt at getting him.

nothings funnier then reports that Arizona State is after Deion .. absolutely no shot for that program but nonetheless the reports abound

Arizona St, sans NCAA violations, would have a much better shot imo. Massive party school, new AD coming soon, a lot less rigidity in their coach parameters 

What hurts Auburn is the biggest factors imo (the Trustees, the plaid traditionalism of Auburn, Deion being so different than how our HCs look and operate) 

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Arizona St, sans NCAA violations, would have a much better shot imo. Massive party school, new AD coming soon, a lot less rigidity in their coach parameters 

What hurts Auburn is the biggest factors imo (the Trustees, the plaid traditionalism of Auburn, Deion being so different than how our HCs look and operate) 

Anybody bus Gus and Bryan.

I remember seeing a very young and viral Coach Pat Dye sitting with us students in the cafeteria in 1982 telling us how AU football was gonna become relevant again and once again beat Alabama.  He was very personal, available, and very convincing.  And then he delivered.

Whoever is our next coach needs to deliver in the same way.

RIP Coach Pat Dye.

PS: I coached his grandson in t-ball in Huntsville, AL.

• Like 1
  • Love 1