Who do you start next week at qb?

gr82b4au

4 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I said the same thing. Why are we designing plays that are so terrible and slow. I know that TJ is already slow and lumbering, and then you add these plays and I am just dumbfounded. 
Where is the quick slant? Get rid of the ball. And not to they other team. 
I bet bo is thanking his lucky stars he is not on this team. 

Hate to sound cruel, but TJ just isn’t a very smart person. You have to have some intelligence to play QB and be successful in the SEC. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

6 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

We can’t keep rotating guys despite what our coach says 

The problem is they don't have a clue of when and what situations they need to rotate the QBs. They bring Robby in at the worst times. Usually when TJ is in a rhythm throwing; only to kill it with brining in Robby to kill the momentum. Then it's back to TJ on 3rd down asking him to bail us out. My goodness that's the worst position ever to put a QB in. Especially knowing fans and even announcers are not really high on TJ. I really felt bad for TJ in the 1st half. I mean it eventually all came crashing down for him but dude literally had to pull rabbits out of his azz the 1st half just to keep us in the game b/c of horrible coaching and playcalling. 

• Like 3

Unless that new QB comes with a new OL, competent coaching and play calling, I don't know if anyone could be affective in this offense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

We have many many offensive issues but it starts with the same common dominator we’ve had for the last few years…o-line. 

And it's not like we have any backups to challenge the starters. 

5 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

gus was still able to pound the ball down other teams throats game in and game out but today tank had 9 carries for 39 yards. that's brutal. I think the @ Clemson game was the only time we were not able to rush the ball although fortunately they proved to be a Natty team. 

As embarrassing as last night was, let's not make things up. 

We haven't consistently run the ball since 2017. Coincidentally, thats when our OL recruiting began to really tank even moreso.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And it's not like we have any backups to challenge the starters. 

As embarrassing as last night was, let's not make things up. 

We haven't consistently run the ball since 2017. Coincidentally, thats when our OL recruiting began to really tank even moreso.

Lol, he stays away out of embarrassment, then someone says something, even a little thing, positive about Gus, and he reappears.

Yards per carry avg:

2017 - 4.8

2018 - 4.3

2019 - 4.7

2020 - 4.8

Please note the average yards per carry in 2020 was the exact same as 2017.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Hate to sound cruel, but TJ just isn’t a very smart person. You have to have some intelligence to play QB and be successful in the SEC. 

IDK, Harsin said he’s like an offensive coordinator on the field.

3 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Does anyone know what Calzada injury was at AM and what is the typical recovery time ?

Calzada dislocated his non throwing (left) shoulder after colliding with Smoke Monday during the A&M / Auburn game last year.  He did return to the game.  At the end of last season he had surgery on his left shoulder. 

3 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Lol, he stays away out of embarrassment, then someone says something, even a little thing, positive about Gus, and he reappears.

Yards per carry avg:

2017 - 4.8

2018 - 4.3

2019 - 4.7

2020 - 4.8

Malzahn ran KJ in the ground to make that stat line in '17. You forget his starting LT was moved from the D line and had it not been for Golson being able to snap from the shotgun, he would've had 1 C.

He had to move guys around just to find a 2 deep rotation in year 5, so don't bring YPC avg and use that as evidence that the OL was fine. He abandoned the most important position group in his scheme

Edited by CAReeves2010

11 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

We can’t keep rotating guys despite what our coach says 

I agree. I feel like if he just would have stuck it out with Finley, we had a chance to win. Every time he would complete a long pass or convert a third down, he’d pull him. Every time. Ridiculous. 

11 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Malzahn ran KJ in the ground to make that stat line in '17. You forget his starting LT was moved from the D line and had it not been for Golson being able to snap from the shotgun, he would've had 1 C.

He had to move guys around just to find a 2 deep rotation so don't bring YPC avg and use that as evidence that the OL was fine. He abandoned the most important position group in his scheme

The original thread poster discussed: at least with Gus, we could pound the ball on the ground. The comment was then made we didn’t/couldn’t after 2017. I simply pointed out with facts, with statistics, with numbers that we had the same yards per carry average in 2020 that we did in 2017.  As I posted in another thread between recruiting, the portal, junior college transfers, and the lineman we currently have on the roster, who are now five and six year seniors, Harsin has done absolutely, positively nothing to improve the situation. With practically the same offensive line Gus beat Alabama, A&M and the Pac 10 champs Oregon without near the drama of the past year and a half. And I’m talking about the drama that started long before the off the field issues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Yards per carry avg:

2017 - 4.8

2018 - 4.3

2019 - 4.7

2020 - 4.8

Like the vast majority of Gus’ tenure that’s all smoke and mirrors- inflated numbers against weak teams, terrible against teams with a pulse. I’m all for blasting Harsin as a failure and a fraud at this point but let’s do it on his own (lack of) merits instead of trying to continue to make Gus into more than the mediocre coach that he was here at Auburn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, fredst said:

Like the vast majority of Gus’ tenure that’s all smoke and mirrors- inflated numbers against weak teams, terrible against teams with a pulse. I’m all for blasting Harsin as a failure and a fraud at this point but let’s do it on his own (lack of) merits instead of trying to continue to make Gus into more than the mediocre coach that he was here at Auburn

I get it, and for the umpteenth, millionth time, I wouldn’t spend upwards to $30 million to get rid of Gus, to replace him with Harsin. If Harsin was really the best option we had, I would’ve kept Gus. I mean it was the only common sense, sane decision to make, and we didn’t make it. 

Without Kevin steel Gus’s last two years could’ve been a disaster. But at the same time, to give credit where credit is due, he does have a national championship ring, two SEC championship rings, three or four SEC West championship rings, coach of the year awards, coordinator of the year awards, beat Saban three times in eight years. Was he a Nick Saban or a Kirby Smart or a Steve Spurrier? No, he wasn’t. But again, we have to give credit where credit is due. And when it comes to recruiting, coaching, playcalling etc. Harsin is not in the same boat as Gus just as Gus is not in the same boat as Kirby Smart or Steve Spurrier. 

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Yards per carry avg:

2017 - 4.8

2018 - 4.3

2019 - 4.7

2020 - 4.8

If that's what you were able to take away from my post, then that's typical of you trying to twist s***.  Just a heads up, when you have a point, an honest point, you don't have to twist  about to make it.

Also, those aren't good numbers...at all.

Let's try it again...

Reread, think, and try and do a little better. 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

We haven't consistently run the ball since 2017.

Here, I've done the homework for you so you don't get lost again or confused.

National rush offense rankings(Rushing Attempts per Game)

2016-17: 9  (7)

2017-18: 21 (16)

2018-19: 91 (70)

2019-20: 33 (33)

2020-21: 66 (92)

2021-22: 66 (97)

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/rushing-yards-per-game?date=2017-01-10

The first five are Gus' and the last is Harsin's. 

Show which teams could just line up and run it down their throats. Show me the consistency to which you think we've shown. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I get it, and for the umpteenth, millionth time, I wouldn’t spend upwards to $30 million to get rid of Gus, to replace him with Harsin. If Harsin was really the best option we had, I would’ve kept Gus. I mean it was the only common sense, sane decision to make, and we didn’t make it. 

Without Kevin steel Gus’s last two years could’ve been a disaster. But at the same time, to give credit where credit is due, he does have a national championship ring, two SEC championship rings, three or four SEC West championship rings, coach of the year awards, coordinator of the year awards, beat Saban three times in eight years. Was he a Nick Saban or a Kirby Smart or a Steve Spurrier? No, he wasn’t. But again, we have to give credit where credit is due. And when it comes to recruiting, coaching, playcalling etc. Harsin is not in the same boat as Gus just as Gus is not in the same boat as Kirby Smart or Steve Spurrier. 

I can’t argue with this for the most part. I do think Gus was really fortunate to have a transcendent player at QB when he was our OC (without Cam I think we lose at least 2-3 games that year) and was savvy enough to use a fairly gimmicky offense that the rules allowed for and was on the receiving end of incredible luck in a couple of games in 2013- he was never built for long haul success in the SEC. Now, I just hope and pray that we do the most un-Auburn thing ever and make a smart, well thought out hire of a really good coach…hey, miracles happen….

7 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

If you're going to say that then just say you don't think he is a very smart football player. He can still be a smart person. 

8 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Well, initially I was a little bit offended by this. But then I remembered that he did transfer to Auburn...to play QB. Behind this OL. 

• Haha 4

Its time to give ZC a shot.. Our OLine sux to high heaven, but we have the only QB who beat Bama in the regular season last year and haven't even given him a look.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

The problem is they don't have a clue of when and what situations they need to rotate the QBs. They bring Robby in at the worst times. Usually when TJ is in a rhythm throwing; only to kill it with brining in Robby to kill the momentum. Then it's back to TJ on 3rd down asking him to bail us out. My goodness that's the worst position ever to put a QB in. Especially knowing fans and even announcers are not really high on TJ. I really felt bad for TJ in the 1st half. I mean it eventually all came crashing down for him but dude literally had to pull rabbits out of his azz the 1st half just to keep us in the game b/c of horrible coaching and playcalling. 

Yes and when they do sub him in the play calling is so obvious. Why is it so hard to do what Lane Kiffin , heck what even the Oregon coaches are doing with nix. Quick passes which are just as equal as running plays. 

• Love 2

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Yards per carry avg:

2017 - 4.8

2018 - 4.3

2019 - 4.7

2020 - 4.8

I’ll dig into the advanced stats later and challenge this. That might be a little misleading. 

16 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Well, initially I was a little bit offended by this. But then I remembered that he did transfer to Auburn...to play QB. Behind this OL. 

And Robby transferred here because he never saw this field at Oregon and it’s close to home. 

46 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If that's what you were able to take away from my post, then that's typical of you trying to twist s***.  Just a heads up, when you have a point, an honest point, you don't have to twist  about to make it.

Also, those aren't good numbers...at all.

Let's try it again...

Reread, think, and try and do a little better. 

Here, I've done the homework for you so you don't get lost again or confused.

National rush offense rankings(Rushing Attempts per Game)

2016-17: 9  (7)

2017-18: 21 (16)

2018-19: 91 (70)

2019-20: 33 (33)

2020-21: 66 (92)

2021-22: 66 (97)

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/rushing-yards-per-game?date=2017-01-10

The first five are Gus' and the last is Harsin's. 

Show which teams could just line up and run it down their throats. Show me the consistency to which you think we've shown. 

I already posted the yards per carry, and it’s very consistent in all of the last five years of Gus.

What cracks me up are the number of people (like you) that are still blaming Gus. Gus left Harsin enough talent last year to beat Ole Miss when they were number 12 in the country? Enough talent to beat LSU in Baton Rouge, (that you were so proud of) then even though we lost, Harsin had enough talent to beat Penn State in Happy Valley it was bonehead coaching and play-calling that cost us the game . Then if Rock doesn’t run out of bounds, we had enough talent to beat Alabama at home. Then all of a sudden, he loses five games in a row last year, gets completely embarrassed against Penn State at home this year, and it’s still the fault of Gus Malzahn? 

• Dislike 1

50 minutes ago, fredst said:

I can’t argue with this for the most part. I do think Gus was really fortunate to have a transcendent player at QB when he was our OC (without Cam I think we lose at least 2-3 games that year) and was savvy enough to use a fairly gimmicky offense that the rules allowed for and was on the receiving end of incredible luck in a couple of games in 2013- he was never built for long haul success in the SEC. Now, I just hope and pray that we do the most un-Auburn thing ever and make a smart, well thought out hire of a really good coach…hey, miracles happen….

For the most part, I am with you.