Where do we go from here?

tbone4jc

Very honest question. This staff is a lame duck. There is 0% chance of any of them returning. Who would be willing to come to Auburn to coach this team under the current circumstances?
Most good to great Coaches want total control of the program but we all know that isn’t going to happen. 

We have monies but we tend to spend it on previous coaches instead of having a bigger recruiting/football budget. 

I really do not see us being competitive for a very long time unless some major changes are made from the very top down. It sucks but I think the best of Auburn started fading after we beat then #1’s Ga and UAT. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Very honest question. This staff is a lame duck. There is 0% chance of any of them returning. Who would be willing to come to Auburn to coach this team under the current circumstances?
Most good to great Coaches want total control of the program but we all know that isn’t going to happen. 

We have monies but we tend to spend it on previous coaches instead of having a bigger recruiting/football budget. 

I really do not see us being competitive for a very long time unless some major changes are made from the very top down. It sucks but I think the best of Auburn started fading after we beat then #1’s Ga and UAT. 

I really don't know what anyone means with the phrase, "total control" but some people before they die give up total control.  We are at that point.  I don't see "control" being issue that holds Auburn back.  There are greater issues to overcome. 

• Like 1

Auburn Football is a lame duck. We’re in a very bad spot with years of work ahead of us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Auburn Football is a lame duck. We’re in a very bad spot with years of work ahead of us. 

We will be if they don’t bring in the right guy. But I’m not sure we are a lame duck just yet. If you bring in a big time reputable hire, the recruits will come and most importantly the portal transfers will come. 1 good portal season could get us to 7-8 win program. 2 good portal seasons could have us where Arkansas and Ole Miss are. And at that point the sky is the limit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We will be if they don’t bring in the right guy. But I’m not sure we are a lame duck just yet. If you bring in a big time reputable hire, the recruits will come and most importantly the portal transfers will come. 1 good portal season could get us to 7-8 win program. 2 good portal seasons could have us where Arkansas and Ole Miss are. And at that point the sky is the limit.

With the issues we have at OL and a major lack of quality depth we’re in big, big trouble. 

1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

With the issues we have at OL and a major lack of quality depth we’re in big, big trouble. 

Yea we def need a coach who either is or has a great Oline coach.

18 minutes ago, auelvis87 said:

I honestly have no idea.  If we fire Harsin now or after the season, who are we going to get?  Who in their right night is going to want to walk into this dumpster fire?

First, make Grimes and Sanders say no. After that, Dell. After that (god forbid), Freeze or TWill.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, auelvis87 said:

I honestly have no idea.  If we fire Harsin now or after the season, who are we going to get?  Who in their right night is going to want to walk into this dumpster fire?

Nobody respectable, that’s for sure. Why would you unless you just need the money? 

Downward. This football team will continue in a downward spiral and let's just hope everyone stays healthy and survives this debacle until someone with integrity makes a tough decision to move on. 

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t understand some of you guys. 

“Who in their right mind” would want to coach at Auburn? I don’t know. Somebody who likes millions of dollars? Someone who wants the resources of a top 15 program at their disposal? Someone who wants to be in the thick of the country’s most fertile recruiting ground? Someone who wants to compete at the highest level at a place that has proven it can reach the pinnacles of the sport? 

Y’all are just intentionally over dramatic. Auburn is a *GREAT* job. But, oh wait. There’s a chance you might get fired for poor performance? Yeah - what a totally unique Auburn problem.

U are absolutely right money talks and there is evidence that it can be done so it isn’t mission impossible. Depending on who the losses are to even with two losses u have a chance

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, e808 said:

U are absolutely right money talks and there is evidence that it can be done so it isn’t mission impossible. Depending on who the losses are to even with two losses u have a chance

These guys act like a solid coach - or let’s say a guy like Matt Rhule coming back down from the NFL - would look at Auburn in the available openings and be like “Anywhere but THERE! I know that’s a top dollar job but I can’t handle a couple pushy boosters. No sir, too much for me.”

2 hours ago, AuburnSoldier said:

If Matt Rhule gets fired, we should immediately make an offer. He and the guys in his tree are much better suited for college. 

I like that idea. Only other coaches i'd be interested in is Hugh Freeze or Lane. I know AU fans didn't like the idea before but I personally want a proven football coach that. 1. Has strong head coaching experience and knows the SEC landscape 2. Can quickly come in and turn our offense around. 

I think we could easily get Lane or Hugh. We'd have to throw good money at Lane but the selling points are that: 1. He isn't going to sniff a natty at Ole Miss; even with the playoffs expanding. He'd have a real chance of getting a natty at Auburn 2. He gets to stay in the SEC, the SEC West in particular and go up against Saban with the opportunity to recruit better talent. More years than not, the Iron Bowl could decide who goes to the SEC Championship. I think he'd absolutely love to be on the big stage in big games. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t understand some of you guys. 

“Who in their right mind” would want to coach at Auburn? I don’t know. Somebody who likes millions of dollars? Someone who wants the resources of a top 15 program at their disposal? Someone who wants to be in the thick of the country’s most fertile recruiting ground? Someone who wants to compete at the highest level at a place that has proven it can reach the pinnacles of the sport? 

Y’all are just intentionally over dramatic. Auburn is a *GREAT* job. But, oh wait. There’s a chance you might get fired for poor performance? Yeah - what a totally unique Auburn problem.

Okay brother. Since CPD we have hired “Buster Brown” Terry Bowden, Tommy Tuberville, Gene Chizik, Gus Malzahn and now Brian Hardin. Please tell me who was busting down doors to hire any one of these? Tommy Tuberville was by far the best of this bunch but we friken jet gated him. Even CPD was a up and comer from Wyoming. So, yeah. We should have had Kirby Smart, then Brent Venerables. Wonder why they turned down the Auburn job.  Things that make you go HUMmm… we are not a top tier football program. We’ve had some great seasons recently(2004, 2010 and 2013) it is what it is and when that truth is understood, then it’s much easier to be an Auburn fan and hope for the best but not expect to be a top tier team year after year

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

I really don't know what anyone means with the phrase, "total control" but some people before they die give up total control.  We are at that point.  I don't see "control" being issue that holds Auburn back.  There are greater issues to overcome. 

This is my opinion and definition of total control, Nick Saban. Nick Saban has total control.  Absolute total control. Absolutely no one at that university tells him what or how to do anything. 

Right now, our biggest problem is how bad our recruiting is. We need to bring in players and that isn't happening. It may be a stop gap, but get a staff in here who can recruit at a high level. That may not be "the guy", but it if we keep going on our current recruiting trajectory, we're going to turn into a cellar dweller in the west pretty quickly. This may be something like a Muschamp or Steele, I don't know. I'm not excited about those names, but we are in bad straights right now. It's unlikely Harsin is here next year, his recruiting has been awful, we've still got some time to make up ground if we move quickly. It will come with bad press, but that's inevitable no matter when we make the move. I just don't see waiting until the season is over to be a wise decision at this point. Get our AD hired and make a move. 

• Like 1

Hugh Freeze has served his pittance and would walk to Auburn to get the job.  I would make Kiffin say no first.  We would be better immediately with either one.  

• Like 5

Nil money can fix the line quickly. Im curious as to why money wasn't flowing to fiz the offensive line prob sooner. 

Big name coach doesn't mean problem fixed. We need someone that can recruit the area and put together a staff. 

6 minutes ago, shabby said:

Nil money can fix the line quickly. Im curious as to why money wasn't flowing to fiz the offensive line prob sooner. 

Big name coach doesn't mean problem fixed. We need someone that can recruit the area and put together a staff. 

We do seem to be not really focused on using NIL to get talent. It’s like we are trying to be the team who say, “we don’t need that to win.” I just don’t get it. Why aren’t we doing everything we can to be competitive?

Edited by Auburn Tiger

7 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I would say we can’t go anywhere but up, but if we lose to Missouri next weekend i am not even logging into this site hahaha. 

Dude-the coach hiring and firing times are when this forum achieves true greatness. Don’t give up now…

• Haha 1

Guest MustardSeed

Read this bio, then just go make it happen. There is no one higher on my list and I think his name needs to get out there and his interest gauged asap

Todd Monken  UGA OC, has an absolutely amazing history and knows how to turn around a program quick, knows how to win championships, develops qbs like it’s going out of style…it’s a slam dunk.  Pay the man!

https://georgiadogs.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/todd--monken-/3089

I've finally come to think that we need a big splash hire like Kiffin or Freeze.  Both are offensive genius', but both come with some baggage.

If neither of them, then I have no idea.

• Like 1
  • Love 1