Where do we go from here?

tbone4jc

I’ve pivoted some. I think we definitely go after guys who can rebuild programs. I honestly think Matt Rhule wouldn’t be a bad name to whisper towards then freeze of course 

grimes is way low third for me because he has zero coaching experience but could be a fit.

• Like 1

Football is supposed to be fun but the state of Auburn football is in right now is depressing. I said the same thing the first 2 weeks too.

Auburn didn’t look good against 2 inferior teams and some people thought they would just “turn it on” against Penn state. That’s not how it works, you can tell when a team has “it” and Auburn didn’t even before yesterday’s game smh

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Football is supposed to be fun but the state Auburn football is in right now is depressing. I said the same thing the first 2 weeks too.

Auburn didn’t look good against 2 inferior teams and some people thought they would just “turn it on” again Penn state. That’s not how it works, you can tell when a team has “it” and Auburn didn’t even before yesterday’s game smh

100 percent spot on. I said this last week about a quarterback and got a few red thumbs down. At least when we played the first two teams and barely made out alive no one was dumb enough to post the ole standby of " oh yea we just used a vanilla offense and defense, they are going to open up the playbook next week" stupid crap. We are in a world of un prepared hurt. 

EMBRACE THE SUCK PEOPLE 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Football is supposed to be fun but the state Auburn football is in right now is depressing. I said the same thing the first 2 weeks too.

This is an important point. Bruce Pearl is a great basketball coach, but his biggest win at Auburn was making basketball games a fun outing for students. Now it's hard to get a ticket. Tuberville wasn't the best coach in the world, but he did sell the program well, was approachable and a good spokesperson for Auburn football. Even things like A-day were just fun game-style scrimmages. That kind of changed with Chizik and Auburn has been trying to get their own version of Saban ever since. 

Auburn is not Alabama. We're not wired like Alabama. We don't need some emotionless rock-chewer on the sideline yammering on about processes and cultures. We need someone to amplify the things that make Auburn special. The fans, the atmosphere, the university... stop trying to be a semi-pro team. Auburn will never have success that way. Even Dye made it fun for Auburn fans. 

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
2 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I've finally come to think that we need a big splash hire like Kiffin or Freeze.  Both are offensive genius', but both come with some baggage.

If neither of them, then I have no idea.

Monken is a better offensive mind than both of those IMO, but not as well known I suppose 

Edited by MustardSeed

Harsin is going to have to change this offense. No QB is going to be successful in the current offense. We need an offense where the QB gets rids of the ball 3 seconds, 4 seconds tops. We knew our OL was an issue day 1. Our coaching staff has done nothing to scheme around our deficiencies. This to me separates the just good coaches from the great ones. 

Miss St. didn't win but you see in there offense how they try to make sure Will gets rid of the ball quickly. But it's clear that trading out QBs every game is not going to solve anything unless we can scheme them to be effective.

41 minutes ago, AU North said:

Just my opinion, but with regards to all things recruiting (NIL, Portal, etc.), we seem to be afraid of an NCAA that no one else is.

Look no further than our “interim AD” who it’s been rumored by a mod on here just “changed his position on NIL”…
NIL has been in action for over a year and Rich McGlynn just changed his position?  WTH? 

8 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Harsin is going to have to change this offense. No QB is going to be successful in the current offense. We need an offense where the QB gets rids of the ball 3 seconds, 4 seconds tops. We knew our OL was an issue day 1. Our coaching staff has done nothing to scheme around our deficiencies. This to me separates the just good coaches from the great ones. 

Miss St. didn't win but you see in there offense how they try to make sure Will gets rid of the ball quickly. But it's clear that trading out QBs every game is not going to solve anything unless we can scheme them to be effective.

That’s why drives me crazy as well. You are trying to run almost an NFL like offense without the personnel to do so

Coaching is just so far and few between. Those guys who can make chicken noodle soup out of chicken noodle crap are a very special breed. So many mid type coaches making tons of money.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Okay brother. Since CPD we have hired “Buster Brown” Terry Bowden, Tommy Tuberville, Gene Chizik, Gus Malzahn and now Brian Hardin. Please tell me who was busting down doors to hire any one of these? Tommy Tuberville was by far the best of this bunch but we friken jet gated him. Even CPD was a up and comer from Wyoming. So, yeah. We should have had Kirby Smart, then Brent Venerables. Wonder why they turned down the Auburn job.  Things that make you go HUMmm… we are not a top tier football program. We’ve had some great seasons recently(2004, 2010 and 2013) it is what it is and when that truth is understood, then it’s much easier to be an Auburn fan and hope for the best but not expect to be a top tier team year after year

Don’t confuse the incompetence of those AD regimes with the appeal of the Auburn job.

You’re crazy if you think we aren’t a top tier job. By every measure, we are. A couple years ago on a Fox pregame, Urban Meyer literally called us a “top 5” or “top 10” job.

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

Monken is a better offensive mind than both of those IMO, but not as well known I suppose 

Yurchich too

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Coaching is just so far and few between. Those guys who can make chicken noodle soup out of chicken noodle crap are a very special breed. So many mid type coaches making tons of money.

It really is interesting how hard it is to find good coaching candidates now. I blame it on the evolution of the spread and “architecture based” schemes. Guys like Malzahn.

Back pre-2000, everybody ran pretty simple and similar stuff (except maybe Spurrier and the air raid at Kentucky). So any successful programs weren’t because of offensive gimmicks that could eventually go stale. The success was because the coach was legit as a recruiter, talent evaluator, player developer and tactician. 

Now you have all these guys who flash success because their offenses are innovative, and they dominate against lesser opponents. Then they get up with the big boys, and that innovative edge gets figured out.

At that point, the stuff that makes a real coach (mentioned above) gets exposed. Most flop. 

That’s why I do think Mark Stoops would be the safest, most sure fire hire.

12 hours ago, AUwent said:

First, make Grimes and Sanders say no. After that, Dell. After that (god forbid), Freeze or TWill.

Like this list but would put Aranda and Rhule at the front.  Not sure either is realistic, though. Might bump Freeze up to at least Grimes tier, too.

3 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

100 percent spot on. I said this last week about a quarterback and got a few red thumbs down. At least when we played the first two teams and barely made out alive no one was dumb enough to post the ole standby of " oh yea we just used a vanilla offense and defense, they are going to open up the playbook next week" stupid crap. We are in a world of un prepared hurt. 

EMBRACE THE SUCK PEOPLE 

NEVAAAAAA

The 12 team playoff may make coaches make different decisions about which jobs have the greatest appeal. Last years Ole Miss or Baylor teams would’ve made it to the playoffs with the new format. Why go to a pressure cooker when you can compete for championships and make just as much money without sitting between CFBs biggest dynasties? 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Don’t confuse the incompetence of those AD regimes with the appeal of the Auburn job.

You’re crazy if you think we aren’t a top tier job. By every measure, we are. A couple years ago on a Fox pregame, Urban Meyer literally called us a “top 5” or “top 10” job.

Well if the legendary Urban Meyer said it, it must be true

Bill O'Brian.

Literally saved Penn State from the death penalty, NFL experience, and current student of the Nick Saban Rehabilitation School For Coaches Who Can't Coach Good & Also Want To Do Other Things Good Too

5 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Hugh Freeze has served his pittance and would walk to Auburn to get the job.  I would make Kiffin say no first.  We would be better immediately with either one.  

We would know for sure the offense would be fixed! Those are the biggest names that we have a realistic chance of getting. Yes, big names don't always mean success but at least they've proven it. I watched the Liberty game yesterday. Hugh has another QB prepared and he played very well. Not saying he's Malik at all but the kid looked good in a game where Liberty was a double digit dog.