Somebody educate me

JuscAUse!

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

I'm having a hard time making my thoughts clear and for that I apologize. How about this- you are hired as Coach during the summer and you know you lack talent and all the issues our team has. But you have what you have now. What would Coach Sizzle do to negate the strengths of PSU and the weakness of your team?

Not a direct answer but the other team's coach is doing the same thing. So if you're a weaker team from the get go there's not much you can do except hope for some lucky breaks or a turnover.

1 hour ago, creed said:

Not a direct answer but the other team's coach is doing the same thing. So if you're a weaker team from the get go there's not much you can do except hope for some lucky breaks or a turnover.

And yet more physically talented teams get beat by inferior talent every week. There's gotta be more to it than that, I would think. 

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

We've had a decade of historically competent-to-terrific assistant coaches that just mail it in when they come to Auburn. Like somebody(s) outside the university insentivises them to suddenly be bizarre. They then leave and frequently become normal again. Friend is a recent candidate IMO.

Roof is another 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Robby, tank and quez running triple option rpo every play. at least then the defense has to play some assignment football instead of just pinning back ears. I don't know. 

not too far off the mark. do something. anything. different than what hasn't been working with regards to the OL getting worked.  changing QB's won't solve that. changing the way you attack the Defense with play design might. If the coaches can't change strategy mid game then AU's in big trouble. If the collective football IQ of the team is so low that changing schemes to address the issues mid game is a non starter, then you compound the ineptitude.

Edited by EastAl_Tiger

I’m almost willing to bringing Paul Johnson on board and teaching the triple option.   It seems like the service academies can run it with 1 star Oline talent.   Teach the lineman how to cut block.   

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

And yet more physically talented teams get beat by inferior talent every week. There's gotta be more to it than that, I would think. 

Those are exceptions, not the norm. 

7 hours ago, Didba said:

You didn’t even attempt to actually answer his questions lmao

The answer to the question is: the coaches are incapable and not interested in solving the how to get better question. They're just getting by and that's all they should do since they're certainly getting fired any day now. If I were them Boise Boys, I would be getting all my personal stuff out of my office, now! 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

48 minutes ago, Systems said:

The answer to the question is: the coaches are incapable and not interested in solving the how to get better question. They're just getting by and that's all they should do since they're certainly getting fired any day now. If I were them Boise Boys, I would be getting all my personal stuff out of my office, now! 

skeptical-chris-carey.gif.30e522974a3ebcb324dd5602deec4a96.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

not too far off the mark. do something. anything. different than what hasn't been working with regards to the OL getting worked.  changing QB's won't solve that. changing the way you attack the Defense with play design might. If the coaches can't change strategy mid game then AU's in big trouble. If the collective football IQ of the team is so low that changing schemes to address the issues mid game is a non starter, then you compound the ineptitude.

For sure. Honestly, I remember an interview I saw (maybe an article) with Harsin when he was discussing his Offensive philosophy and he said something along the lines of: "We do not run an offensive scheme. We run Plays. We have a lot of different plays we run" That line stuck with me and not in a good way. This isn't 14 year old me taking the CPU to the woodshed in year 12 of my Dynasty with Eastern Tennessee Technical on NCAA 14. Just running random plays. Offenses need an identity. They need a scheme. Even with Gus, there was some method to his madness. It just didn't work anymore. I just found that an odd statement. 

Not a coach or expert, but I have thoughts. (Yeah, I know, even morons have thoughts.)

Only 5 players on offense had passing grades. The only OL with a passing grade was Zierer. Tank, Hunter and WRs Johnson and King were the other 4 (although King only had one catch). As usual, Shenker stank. He has really regressed since last year. I really doubt he'd help much shoring up the OL. I'd be happier if we had a tough-as-nails FB to pick up blitzers and help plow holes for our RBs.

On defense, similarly, Wooten and Leota, James and Puckett had passing grades. The LBs really stunk up the place.

When Harsin came in, he was supposed to be the type of coach who would take the mediocre talent and "coach 'em up." And as I said at the time, coached up 3 stars are not going to be competitive with coached up 4 and 5 stars, because every good coaching staff takes their recruits and coaches them up. Harsin had the guys who decided to stay working in the weight room. That seems to be the extent of his coaching players up.

The biggest problem I saw, other than the talent gap, was a lack of enthusiasm, excitement, energy. Despite the crowd being really loud, once Auburn fell behind in the first half, I just didn't see any real tenacity. I've never heard Harsin in the locker room, but he just doesn't come across as much of a motivational leader. And when the backups are even less talented than the starters, lack of killer tenacity is a problem that gets multiplied by confusion.

To me, this explains why the defense is not getting turnovers and the defensive front was parting like the red sea for PSU runners. And that, to me, also explains the undisciplined and sluggish offensive play. I'm not saying the guys quit. I'm saying Harsin and some of the other coaches are crappy leaders, communicators, motivators.

Just plugging in a TE to help block isn't going to help much to rectify that. I'd look for a nasty FB.

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

For sure. Honestly, I remember an interview I saw (maybe an article) with Harsin when he was discussing his Offensive philosophy and he said something along the lines of: "We do not run an offensive scheme. We run Plays. We have a lot of different plays we run" That line stuck with me and not in a good way. This isn't 14 year old me taking the CPU to the woodshed in year 12 of my Dynasty with Eastern Tennessee Technical on NCAA 14. Just running random plays. Offenses need an identity. They need a scheme. Even with Gus, there was some method to his madness. It just didn't work anymore. I just found that an odd statement. 

100% I started this discussion for two reasons. I have no idea what the identity of our O is or is even supposed to be, and this is the first team in awhile that could have beaten our D with one running play and play action passes off of that play. In my 60 plus years as a college football fan I have seen a lot of offenses. To this day I believe the best O coordinators will have a play that they hang their hat on and establishes the identity of the team. The best two year stretch of offensive play calling IMO was Terry Bowden's stretch in 93 and 94, when everything looked like a toss sweep. The problem for the defense started there, because he had tons of plays and options off that look. 2004 was awesome also. 2010 was Cam and 2013 was a once in a lifetime unit.

This O is disjointed and has no rhythm and/or identity that I can see. And the D did not appear to adjust at all to the running game of PSU. I'm just confused as heck.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Counters and traps in the run game.  Screens in the passing game (Tank made a huge play with one).  Multiple TE sets.  Confuse them, take advantage of their aggressiveness, and make them back off.

I would never use the term, "they quit" lightly.  And I won't start now.  But what I saw was a team that started out with a purpose and unity transition into one in which I felt there were no leaders stepping up both on the field and the sidelines.  This includes coaches and players.  You have to have both to have a successful team.  Who are those leaders and do they step up now when things are not going as planned?  I want to see some fire from someone and see who has passion.  

Concerning Tank ,that juke move he uses makes the first guy partially miss but slows forward motion into a lateral glide and allows the next guy to tackle.The move does get some yardage.AU needs better blocking /scheme so he can he doesn’t have to disco dance where a running lane should be to allow him to take it to the house.Ofcourse,I’m probably wrong.

Edited by beagle34

11 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The problem with just running plays is you have far too many plays in your playbook, and you don't get synergy you can get with similar play styles.

Think about the inside zone running play. You can run the inside zone. You can run the inside zone read option. You can run play-action off of the inside zone play. You can run the inside zone RPO with a slot receiver slant. You can run a split zone. You can run a split zone read option. In addition, you can have pre-snap reads for quick pass options coming off of the same running play. It is going to be similar blocking on all of those plays, and the complement each other because they create constraints on the defense that can then be exploited.

You can do similar stuff with a buck sweep. Sweep to the RB, QB bootleg keeper, QB bootleg RPO, play action with a drop-back rather than bootleg, and pre-snap reads to the opposite side with a WR bubble screen. Again, the blocking will be similar, but since a bootleg pass take longer to develop the OL will pull to sell the run but not go down field, and for a drop-back they would pull then drop into pass protection.

Finally, look at the Air Raid teams and how similar their plays can be. Again, there may be pre-snap reads that are included that dictate the side where the QB's first post-snap read goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Owen is a tad overrated. 

I don't like to criticize any Auburn player but I've thought the same thing when OP was a freshman, but most guys get better. Maybe that's on Gus 😉.  If Owen was a true 5* Kirby would have never let him out of the state. He signed guys he thought were better. Don't get me wrong he's a good player and I'm still happy he is an Auburn man, as I am about all our guys.  WDE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, autan said:

I don't like to criticize any Auburn player but I've thought the same thing when OP was a freshman, but most guys get better. Maybe that's on Gus 😉.  If Owen was a true 5* Kirby would have never let him out of the state. He signed guys he thought were better. Don't get me wrong he's a good player and I'm still happy he is an Auburn man, as I am about all our guys.  WDE

I don't like to mention names, but aI will say I put the 's' on lbs for a reason. Hard to believe the 2nd team could have been worse. I still have confidence in Riley, but he needs coaching. 

On 9/18/2022 at 5:17 PM, creed said:

Hope is not a strategy.

It's not rocket surgery. Jimbo Fisher had a poor showing. He changed QBs and charged up his team. BH had a poor showing. His plan is to work harder. There is clearly a chasm, deep and wide, between those coaches who are qualified and our coach who is certainly not qualified.