Hardline Qualifications for next HC

AUght2win

I’m not necessarily opposed to these rules for all future head coach hires. But taking into account our last three hires, and specifically the Harsin hire, I think Auburn needs to strictly follow these prerequisites when looking for its next head coach. 

1. SEC Experience. Period. I, and a lot of us, weren’t worried about Harsin transitioning to the SEC. Thought that wouldn’t be that big of a deal. We were WAY wrong. If there’s one area to overemphasize, I think it’s this one. We need a guy with as much experience in the conference and/or southern football as possible. We need to immediately fix the program’s disconnection with state HS programs and with kids in the region at-large.

2. A former/current Power 5 Head Coach. We as Auburn fans have gotten so used to this not even being an option, that we forget it should really be a requirement for a program like ours. I’m tired of betting on coordinators. I’m tired of betting on small school guys. 

3. Resume as an excellent recruiter. This is implied in the first prerequisite. But there needs to be more than just experience in the SEC. There needs to be a track record of recruiting success.

4. A minimum of three bowl appearances at a P5 school. This one is a tougher bar and whittles the field. But it prevents a Chizik situation. We need somebody that’s not just a flash in the pan. 

Now that doesn’t leave a ton of candidates. But here’s a list of guys I think are realistic that fit:

All 4 Pre-requisites
1. Mark Stoops
2. Mike Leach (not sure if I’d call him an excellent recruiter, but has done well for Miss State)
3. Lane Kiffin (same on recruiting)
4. James Franklin
5. Kliff Kingsbury (recruiting?)
6. Hugh Freeze

Three out of Four
1. Dave Aranda (only 1 bowl)
2. Mel Tucker (only 1 bowl)
3. Tom Allen (2 bowls)
4. Shawn Elliot (Georgia State, non P5)
5. Sam Pittman (2 bowls)

I’m sure there are genuinely a ton of great coaches that would succeed here that don’t fit these qualifications. But for what we need in the next hire, I think they’re imperative.

What do y’all think? And anybody differ on the prerequisites?

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I’m not necessarily opposed to these rules for all future head coach hires. But taking into account our last three hires, and specifically the Harsin hire, I think Auburn needs to strictly follow these prerequisites when looking for its next head coach. 

1. SEC Experience. Period. I, and a lot of us, weren’t worried about Harsin transitioning to the SEC. Thought that wouldn’t be that big of a deal. We were WAY wrong. If there’s one area to overemphasize, I think it’s this one. We need a guy with as much experience in the conference and/or southern football as possible. We need to immediately fix the program’s disconnection with state HS programs and with kids in the region at-large.

2. A former/current Power 5 Head Coach. We as Auburn fans have gotten so used to this not even being an option, that we forget it should really be a requirement for a program like ours. I’m tired of betting on coordinators. I’m tired of betting on small school guys. 

3. Resume as an excellent recruiter. This is implied in the first prerequisite. But there needs to be more than just experience in the SEC. There needs to be a track record of recruiting success.

4. A minimum of three bowl appearances at a P5 school. This one is a tougher bar and whittles the field. But it prevents a Chizik situation. We need somebody that’s not just a flash in the pan. 

Now that doesn’t leave a ton of candidates. But here’s a list of guys I think are realistic that fit:

All 4 Pre-requisites
1. Mark Stoops
2. Mike Leach (not sure if I’d call him an excellent recruiter, but has done well for Miss State)
4. James Franklin
6. Hugh Freeze

Three out of Four
3. Tom Allen (2 bowls)
5. Sam Pittman (2 bowls)

I’m sure there are genuinely a ton of great coaches that would succeed here that don’t fit these qualifications. But for what we need in the next hire, I think they’re imperative.

Coach Prime. He is a great recruiter and would be young blood, new era type of feel to the program but is the exact opposite of what you outline

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 2

51 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't think we have to have a proven head coach, though that would be nice.

How do you feel about Coach Prime

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

All 4 Pre-requisites
1. Mark Stoops
4. James Franklin
6. Hugh Freeze

Three out of Four
3. Tom Allen (2 bowls)
5. Sam Pittman (2 bowls)

So I do fully agree with have some prerequisites. 

The only one I don't think is an absolute must is former or current P5 HC. Yes that would be a huge addition, but I would settle for the right P5 OC or G5 head coach if all the other boxes are checked. 

My main wants would be SEC Experience. This tops the list. I agree

Number 2, Elite recruiter

Number 3, an Offensive minded guy with a proven track record of top 10-25 offenses throughout his career, however long it may be.

Number 4- A guy with strong ties to the NFL as well. Whether former player or Coach. I want someone with a track record of getting guys to the league.

Those 4 are my first 4 concerns, period. 

• Like 1

The first four on the list had no SEC experience when they got their first HC job in the SEC. For that matter, neither did Saban or Meyer. So I’m not sure that’s as critical as having some experience recruiting in the south.   

I’m just curious what kind of new factions and alliances on the AUFam boards will be formed over the next 6 months based on which coach is rumored to be hired.

If we end up going 4-8, or similar, at least we’ll ALL be on the same page that a change is needed.

Ed Orgeron.

He has coached in the SEC multiple years for different teams. Won three bowl games and MNC. And recruited top 10 almost every year.

Probably meets the listed criteria better than any other candidate and I hear he is available. 

22 minutes ago, nurbis said:

Ed Orgeron.

He has coached in the SEC multiple years for different teams. Won three bowl games and MNC. And recruited top 10 almost every year.

Probably meets the listed criteria better than any other candidate and I hear he is available. 

I want someone with enough clout that they can make coach O our d-line coach. That can convince Grimes to leave Baylor to be our OC/o-line coach. 

Too much is hung up on proven HC throughout power 5 conferences. A lot of people are pointing to Freeze which would be disastrous and just another black eye on the program. Go ahead and mark off Kinsbury, Franklin, Kiffin etc because those don’t happen. To be successful in this league it’s more who you know and the ability to act more of the CEO of the team and have coaches and players buy in. Harsin has had the right mentality but we will never see what 4 years to try and build the program to be. You either go after Stoops or Sanders at this point. If you don’t we will be stuck with Helton.

Qualifications:

1.  Big time recruiter who can put together a staff of other big time recruiters.

2.  Excellent recruiter.

3.  SEC/Southeast coaching experience.

4.  Did I mention being good at recruiting?

5.  No more introverted nerds and surly "all business" types.  Next guy has to be able to unite the various factions, shake hands and kiss babies.

6.  At least several years of being a top coordinator, but preferably a current P5 head coach.

6.  Recruiting.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Qualifications:

1.  Big time recruiter who can put together a staff of other big time recruiters.

2.  Excellent recruiter.

3.  SEC/Southeast coaching experience.

4.  Did I mention being good at recruiting?

5.  No more introverted nerds and surly "all business" types.  Next guy has to be able to unite the various factions, shake hands and kiss babies.

6.  At least several years of being a top coordinator, but preferably a current P5 head coach.

6.  Recruiting.

Do u think Freeze checks most of those boxes? 

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

All 4 Pre-requisites
1. Mark Stoops - would do a great job I think, but needs time.  Not a quick turnaround type of guy.
2. Mike Leach (not sure if I’d call him an excellent recruiter, but has done well for Miss State) - No more gimmicky offensive guys.
3. Lane Kiffin (same on recruiting) - Would be excellent, bring swagger, recruiting great, develop QBs.  Keep him away from coeds.
4. James Franklin - I don't see him leaving Penn State for the craziness at Auburn.
5. Kliff Kingsbury (recruiting?) - Got fired at his alma mater, been ok in the NFL.  Meh.
6. Hugh Freeze - Similar to Lane in terms of upside.  Would crawl over broken glass for the job.  Tons of personal/NCAA baggage.

Three out of Four
1. Dave Aranda (only 1 bowl) - Would be an excellent hire.
2. Mel Tucker (only 1 bowl) - An even better hire than Aranda, IMO given his experience at UGA and Bama.
3. Tom Allen (2 bowls) - Eh.
4. Shawn Elliot (Georgia State, non P5) - Eh.
5. Sam Pittman (2 bowls) - Intriguing.

My takes in bold.