Hardline Qualifications for next HC

AUght2win

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

He would be awful. imo. Alabama's offense leaves much to be desired under him. Iron Bowl last year? UT game two weeks ago?

He's been a step down from Sark.

Agreed. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You'd be crazy not to after Sanders

I'm not trying to pick at you or troll, I promise. What is it about Deion Sanders that would make him a candidate to coach at Auburn?

Remove who he is from the equation and strictly football. What is it about him? Does he run some great scheme?

I think he would bring in top 5 classes, but would he build a staff to sustain it? Jimbo has a loaded roster, and they will lose at least 4 games this year because the offense sucks.

His hype is the elephant in the room. He's like a sexy G5 coach or P5 OC that has a game changing offense but on steroids.

• Like 4

I don't think you need an experienced head coach. Kirby Smart had 0 HC experience before getting the job at Georgio. Dabo had 0 HC experience before Clemson. If you go with a guy that has no HC experience, they have to have come from a great coaching tree and/or they've had 3+ years as offensive coordinator and be a great recruiter. Those 2 things plus having SEC coaching experience are must haves in my opinion.

I am like Bird where I would absolutely LOVE to have Grimes. At least we know he would address our awful OL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I don't think you need an experienced head coach. Kirby Smart had 0 HC experience before getting the job at Georgio. Dabo had 0 HC experience before Clemson. If you go with a guy that has no HC experience, they have to have come from a great coaching tree and/or they've had 3+ years as offensive coordinator and be a great recruiter. Those 2 things plus having SEC coaching experience are must haves in my opinion.

I am like Bird where I would absolutely LOVE to have Grimes. At least we know he would address our awful OL.

and not that smart didn't hit the ground running, but its taken him 6 years to win a NC and he has only won one sec championship. and richt didn't leave the roster empty. we have a much bigger hill to climb.

Just now, fasttimes said:

and not that smart didn't hit the ground running, but its taken him 6 years to win a NC and he has only won one sec championship. and richt didn't leave the roster empty. we have a much bigger hill to climb.

I would be ecstatic for a National Championship in 6 years and an SEC Championship. lol He also hasn't lost more than 2 games since his first season and has been in a New Years Bowl every year since that first. It's not just about winning national titles but being consistently one of the best.

I know we have a bigger hill to climb but Smart and Dabo are 2 perfect examples that you don't need HC experience if you learned from a good coach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I would be ecstatic for a National Championship in 6 years and an SEC Championship. lol He also hasn't lost more than 2 games since his first season and has been in a New Years Bowl every year since that first. It's not just about winning national titles but being consistently one of the best.

I know we have a bigger hill to climb but Smart and Dabo are 2 perfect examples that you don't need HC experience if you learned from a good coach.

yes, im not suggesting this isn't a great outcome, im saying even as well as he has done there in that situation its still taken 6 years for an NC and he has only won one seccg. as has been said ad nausium here, once you get "your guy" you have to give him time and resources. and Auburn is in much worse shape than uga was when smart got there.

6 minutes ago, woodford said:

I'm not trying to pick at you or troll, I promise. What is it about Deion Sanders that would make him a candidate to coach at Auburn?

Remove who he is from the equation and strictly football. What is it about him? Does he run some great scheme?

I think he would bring in top 5 classes, but would he build a staff to sustain it? Jimbo has a loaded roster, and they will lose at least 4 games this year because the offense sucks.

His hype is the elephant in the room. He's like a sexy G5 coach or P5 OC that has a game changing offense but on steroids.

Again, Deion isn’t my first choice. But I think for most people his appeal comes from 

1. he’s a good recruiter/and he probably will stay that way

2. He’s a winner. 

Is he unproven for an FBS, P5 HC role? Absolutely, but it does seem as though can bring NIL funds/knows how to use them, and use his recognition to build a recruiting class. Nor would I say he’s a slouch. 

In terms of scheming and X’s and O’s I haven’t really paid particularly close attention to it, but the hope is he would hire competent coordinators and staff to make it work. 

I think Mark Stoops has been thrown out there as a viable candidate. And I’ll use him as a loose comparison. He’s a defensive coach with a defensive coaching background and was similar to the rest of the Stoops Football Clan in running a base 4-3 defense for the most part in Arizona and Florida State with a “bend but don’t break” concept. He did the same his first two years at Kentucky, and the transitioned to a 3-4 in the proceeding years with a new coordinator in Matt House. Same with offense, Mark Stoops offense went from an Air Raid, Multiple, and to now a McVay inspired West Coast Offense. 

I guess what I’m trying to use Stoops for, is that scheming isn’t necessarily just done by the HC, if the HC takes on the CEO role, it’s the coordinators who will determine a lot of those things. You just hope the HC understands/is competent enough to hire the right people to help the programs succeed. 

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I’m not necessarily opposed to these rules for all future head coach hires. But taking into account our last three hires, and specifically the Harsin hire, I think Auburn needs to strictly follow these prerequisites when looking for its next head coach. 

1. SEC Experience. Period. I, and a lot of us, weren’t worried about Harsin transitioning to the SEC. Thought that wouldn’t be that big of a deal. We were WAY wrong. If there’s one area to overemphasize, I think it’s this one. We need a guy with as much experience in the conference and/or southern football as possible. We need to immediately fix the program’s disconnection with state HS programs and with kids in the region at-large.

2. A former/current Power 5 Head Coach. We as Auburn fans have gotten so used to this not even being an option, that we forget it should really be a requirement for a program like ours. I’m tired of betting on coordinators. I’m tired of betting on small school guys. 

3. Resume as an excellent recruiter. This is implied in the first prerequisite. But there needs to be more than just experience in the SEC. There needs to be a track record of recruiting success.

4. A minimum of three bowl appearances at a P5 school. This one is a tougher bar and whittles the field. But it prevents a Chizik situation. We need somebody that’s not just a flash in the pan. 

Now that doesn’t leave a ton of candidates. But here’s a list of guys I think are realistic that fit:

All 4 Pre-requisites
1. Mark Stoops
2. Mike Leach (not sure if I’d call him an excellent recruiter, but has done well for Miss State)
3. Lane Kiffin (same on recruiting)
4. James Franklin
5. Kliff Kingsbury (recruiting?)
6. Hugh Freeze

Three out of Four
1. Dave Aranda (only 1 bowl)
2. Mel Tucker (only 1 bowl)
3. Tom Allen (2 bowls)
4. Shawn Elliot (Georgia State, non P5)
5. Sam Pittman (2 bowls)

I’m sure there are genuinely a ton of great coaches that would succeed here that don’t fit these qualifications. But for what we need in the next hire, I think they’re imperative.

What do y’all think? And anybody differ on the prerequisites?

I think you are on the right track with your approach. Too many top programs have failed by hiring the hot Group of 5 head coach of the moment. Urban Meyer is the only one of those who worked out.

I would be willing to waive the head coaching experience if they were a very proven assistant or coordinator. That would bring in Grimes, Briles, and Lebby.

I would add some names. Bill O'Brien (former HC experience at Penn State and NFL, would have had two bowl appearances if PSU were bowl eligible). Dan Lanning (only one year of HC experience).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taco said:

I think Mark Stoops has been thrown out there as a viable candidate. And I’ll use him as a loose comparison. He’s a defensive coach with a defensive coaching background and was similar to the rest of the Stoops Football Clan in running a base 4-3 defense for the most part in Arizona and Florida State with a “bend but don’t break” concept. He did the same his first two years at Kentucky, and the transitioned to a 3-4 in the proceeding years with a new coordinator in Matt House. Same with offense, Mark Stoops offense went from an Air Raid, Multiple, and to now a McVay inspired West Coast Offense. 

I guess what I’m trying to use Stoops for, is that scheming isn’t necessarily just done by the HC, if the HC takes on the CEO role, it’s the coordinators who will determine a lot of those things. You just hope the HC understands/is competent enough to hire the right people to help the programs succeed. 

That suggests Stoops evolves and delegates, and does not micromanage.

Micromanaging is what killed Chizik and Malzahn.

• Like 3

Just now, meh130 said:

That suggests Stoops evolves and delegates, and does not micromanage.

Micromanaging is what killed Chizik and Malzahn.

Yes, absolutely. Which I guess I’m trying to point out regarding to Deion Sanders may being under-experienced in regards to having his own schemes and stuff. He can delegate this to his coordinators and staff. 

I think more Malzahn than Chiz regarding micromanaging. I think Chiz wanted to evolve but it backfired on him. He also had a bad culture within the program itself which led to his quick dismissal. 

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Which coach would worry Kirby and Saban more?  From everything from recruiting to playing him on the field. Answer those 2 questions and that's who AU should hire

Urban Myer comes to my mind first

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I’m not necessarily opposed to these rules for all future head coach hires. But taking into account our last three hires, and specifically the Harsin hire, I think Auburn needs to strictly follow these prerequisites when looking for its next head coach. 

1. SEC Experience. Period. I, and a lot of us, weren’t worried about Harsin transitioning to the SEC. Thought that wouldn’t be that big of a deal. We were WAY wrong. If there’s one area to overemphasize, I think it’s this one. We need a guy with as much experience in the conference and/or southern football as possible. We need to immediately fix the program’s disconnection with state HS programs and with kids in the region at-large.

2. A former/current Power 5 Head Coach. We as Auburn fans have gotten so used to this not even being an option, that we forget it should really be a requirement for a program like ours. I’m tired of betting on coordinators. I’m tired of betting on small school guys. 

3. Resume as an excellent recruiter. This is implied in the first prerequisite. But there needs to be more than just experience in the SEC. There needs to be a track record of recruiting success.

4. A minimum of three bowl appearances at a P5 school. This one is a tougher bar and whittles the field. But it prevents a Chizik situation. We need somebody that’s not just a flash in the pan. 

Now that doesn’t leave a ton of candidates. But here’s a list of guys I think are realistic that fit:

All 4 Pre-requisites
1. Mark Stoops
2. Mike Leach (not sure if I’d call him an excellent recruiter, but has done well for Miss State)
4. James Franklin
6. Hugh Freeze

Three out of Four
3. Tom Allen (2 bowls)
5. Sam Pittman (2 bowls)

I’m sure there are genuinely a ton of great coaches that would succeed here that don’t fit these qualifications. But for what we need in the next hire, I think they’re imperative.

Good thread!

I wouldn't worry so much with 2 or 4. While important, I wouldn't prioritize those two.  One thing that I have found that acts as a very good indicator for future success is a coach's pedigree.  Who he has worked and learned under and who his teachers learned from.  

For example, before taking over at UK, Stoops worked as...

DB coach under Jim Leavitt at USF

Co-DC with Dick Bumpas at UH

Larry Coker at UM (2001 all-time greatest team)

His brother Mike Stoops at Arizona

Bowden at FSU 

That's a really good group to learn how to be a coach under.

You've got some good names. Look at some of the others on your list and compare their pedigrees. If you do, please let me know which one you think is best. I'd love to hear how they compare.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Qualifications:

1.  Big time recruiter who can put together a staff of other big time recruiters.

2.  Excellent recruiter.

3.  SEC/Southeast coaching experience.

4.  Did I mention being good at recruiting?

5.  No more introverted nerds and surly "all business" types.  Next guy has to be able to unite the various factions, shake hands and kiss babies.

6.  At least several years of being a top coordinator, but preferably a current P5 head coach.

6.  Recruiting.

Kirby Smart?

Pretty sure Kirby is not leaving UGA to come try and rebuild on the Plains.  It's going to have to be a coach that has true grit, dedication, commands attention, has a recruiting edge and is not coaching for the next dollar.  We need to find a coach that just needs a chance to shine and a school that will get behind him for the next 3-5 years.  If we find the right guy, those 3-5 years could turn into 10-15.  We don't have to have a Brand name; we have to have a Quality man who will give Auburn all he has and who can teach kids to become men.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUgrad97 said:

Pretty sure Kirby is not leaving UGA to come try and rebuild on the Plains.  It's going to have to be a coach that has true grit, dedication, commands attention, has a recruiting edge and is not coaching for the next dollar.  We need to find a coach that just needs a chance to shine and a school that will get behind him for the next 3-5 years.  If we find the right guy, those 3-5 years could turn into 10-15.  We don't have to have a Brand name; we have to have a Quality man who will give Auburn all he has and who can teach kids to become men.  

I agree. I was just using Kirby as someone who would fit the qualifications as listed.

On the brighter side of things: We will not have to worry about a new coach's philosophy fitting our existing personnel. WDE

4 minutes ago, AU North said:

I agree. I was just using Kirby as someone who would fit the qualifications as listed.

On the brighter side of things: We will not have to worry about a new coach's philosophy fitting our existing personnel. WDE

That is true.  Its wide open for any style to come in and take over.  We definitely have not over committed to any one strength.  I say that honestly but also with sarcasm.  SMH 

19 minutes ago, AUgrad97 said:

U just described Bryan Harsin minus the recruiting edge

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

U just described Bryan Harsin minus the recruiting edge

I would argue he likes two of those qualities in our league.  Recruiting which is at the utmost level of importance today and commanding attention.   It's one thing to yell loud and come across as intense.  But its completely different to have people respect you and follow your lead.  Harsin has made more than his fair share of mistakes in just a little over a year.  Some of which don't make you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside when it comes to good moral, ethical and strong leadership characteristics.  

3 minutes ago, AUgrad97 said:

I would argue he likes two of those qualities in our league.  Recruiting which is at the utmost level of importance today and commanding attention.   It's one thing to yell loud and come across as intense.  But its completely different to have people respect you and follow your lead.  Harsin has made more than his fair share of mistakes in just a little over a year.  Some of which don't make you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside when it comes to good moral, ethical and strong leadership characteristics.  

Care to elaborate on your last sentence 

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Care to elaborate on your last sentence 

Let's just say that he has made some questionable choices since coming to the Plains.  Some of those start in the locker room.  It's one thing to be the Alpha.  But it's not a good look when a large portion of the "Betas" follow another leader.  I am not going to beat up Harsin.  I think he is a very good coach.  I think he has a lot of great qualities.  I just never thought he was a good fit for Auburn.  Too rough around the edges for what I think was needed at the time.  

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

All 4 Pre-requisites
1. Mark Stoops
4. James Franklin
6. Hugh Freeze

Three out of Four
3. Tom Allen (2 bowls)
5. Sam Pittman (2 bowls)

Good list Freeze is too risky of a choice.  However, I would adjust your criteria to include NFL coaches.  With that my 3 choices are Eric Bienemy KC, Bryan Leftwich TB and Dan quinn of the cowboys.  Recruiting all 3 have Sper bowl rings which almost automatically gives us a high profile with recruits.  While I know these coaches still have to sell the university to recruits at least they now can get in front of the recruit to give him a pitch.  These coaches are also well adapted to formulating good game plans, calling plays and adjusting to game conditions.  These coaches are well respected and good assistants will want to work for these guys. 

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

All 4 Pre-requisites
1. Mark Stoops
4. James Franklin
6. Hugh Freeze

Three out of Four
3. Tom Allen (2 bowls)
5. Sam Pittman (2 bowls)

The answer is obvious in my eyes and has been but we would never do it till someone else grabs him who is desperate.

Deion would actually be the ultimate Auburn hire IMO. But it’s be disguised as a great hire because it’s much sexier on paper.

Blind resume - a guy who has less than 5 years as a head coach, has never been an FBS coach, and has no experience in the SEC. Yep. Sounds like someone we’d hire.