Keeping Harsin is the lesser of two evils

BanditQb

Guys we are in a bad situation no matter where you look.  Everyone wants Harsin gone now.  But then what coach in the world would want to come to Auburn?  Do you think the coach who would take the job would automatically be able to bring with him a good offensive line?  Would he be given 3 years of losing records to get an o-line?  Everyone says "Harsin can't recruit".  How do we know this?  He was decimated by the PTB in the recruiting cycle last year and this year by trying to get rid of him.  

We have to show some kind of consistency to SLOWLY build up the core players we need (O-line, D-line).   5 stars are not coming here right now (no matter the coach).  A good team is a long way off, but it would be an even longer way off by firing Harsin.

Unfortunately, the new AD will do what all new managers do and make a change just to make it look like they are doing something.  So we will be a very very long way off from having a football team that is fun to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 3
  • Dislike 12

6 minutes ago, BanditQb said:

Guys we are in a bad situation no matter where you look.  Everyone wants Harsin gone now.  But then what coach in the world would want to come to Auburn?  Do you think the coach who would take the job would automatically be able to bring with him a good offensive line?  Would he be given 3 years of losing records to get an o-line?  Everyone says "Harsin can't recruit".  How do we know this?  He was decimated by the PTB in the recruiting cycle last year and this year by trying to get rid of him.  

We have to show some kind of consistency to SLOWLY build up the core players we need (O-line, D-line).   5 stars are not coming here right now (no matter the coach).  A good team is a long way off, but it would be an even longer way off by firing Harsin.

Unfortunately, the new AD will do what all new managers do and make a change just to make it look like they are doing something.  So we will be a very very long way off from having a football team that is fun to watch.

Eh...I think the better question and maybe this is what you meant do you let him finish the year out or not I think that is the question on hand. I think some of that depends on if he loses the team and they stop playing for him. I was not an anti-Harsin guy but at this point you have to say is the program trending up or down and I think most would agree that its trending way down. He has so many issues that he has failed to address, he has made his bed and it appears that he is not going to be able to make this work at Auburn, he could have hit the portal hard for offensive line etc, he could show that he was making strides in recruiting, he could show that he was putting his players in the best position to win games (good coordinators), he has basically failed in all three areas at least from what I can see.

While I do agree that a new coach is not a magic cure all I think a quality coach can make improvements in those three areas, it's not that we are going to be back instantly but you at least like to see some hope on the horizon in those three areas...

• Thanks 1

My basic point is that I do not believe a "quality" or "proven" coach is going to come.  And then WHEN this new coach is unable to magically find good SEC offensive linemen in the first 2 years everyone will be calling for his head too.  Then repeat.  

I will concede that Harsin, even if given time, may be damaged beyond repair at this point.  I am mostly saying that the next guy will not be a quick answer.  Someone mentioned that Arkansas and Tennessee had coaches "in fairly short order" turn it around.  I don't know what short order is but those programs were not quick turnarounds.  They went through coach after coach for a long time. 

• Like 5
  • Dislike 3

I disagree I absolutely think a good head coach can come in and you can see some tangible progress being made on those areas that I mentioned, portal prospects, better coordinators, recruiting progress. At this point the bar has been set pretty low, a good coach should be able to come in and show progress quickly, will we be NC contenders probably not but at this point I am just looking for someone to show that we are trending upwards vs what we are doing now... 

• Like 5

I’d argue Harsin has turned the team even worse to watch. And somehow managed to make the program in worse shape in terms of roster and depth numbers than Gus left us with. 

And that in itself is impressive. 

• Like 6

The whole self defeatist attitude on getting a good coach is a bad take especially after all of the moves last year. I did a whole breakdown on a different thread. If we open the checkbook and let the guy operate we have plenty of options.

Aranda, Wittingham, Freeze, Kiffin, Meyer, Stoops 1, Stoops 2. The list goes on but they are out there. Cristobal and Stoops were way closer to being here than people want to believe. I have settled on wanting Freeze personally but the “who are we going to get” is just a lazy take. We have a top 10 earning program. Time to pony up for a top 10 coach and let him work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BanditQb said:

He was decimated by the PTB in the recruiting cycle last year and this year by trying to get rid of him.  

The investigation did not happen until after the late signing period this year. Absolutely it has impacted this year but not last year.  I don't think last year's class is as bad as some make it out to be but the lack of OL is a major issue and can't be excused. 

We have to show some kind of consistency to SLOWLY build up the core players we need (O-line, D-line).   

We need consistency but it can't be consistent poor play and losing seasons. One position where we have consistency is the OL coach and we are still not bringing in OL recruits. If we end up with 4 or 5 wins this year, we will not get anymore recruits. The consistency has to be consistent progress even if it is slow. That is not happening. We looked worse on Saturday than we ever have under Harsin.

But then what coach in the world would want to come to Auburn?

I do think we will have a hard time convincing coaches to leave a comfortable situation to come here. We need a Pearl type hire that fans know can change the program given time. That is the only way we will give them time. Harsin is not going to get that at this point. There have been too many missteps on his part. I am still willing to give him the rest of the year to show something but the PSU game was pretty clear where things are going.

Urban Meyer is out there. Bob Stoops is out there. I think Freeze would jump at the chance. The contract will have to be huge money and be absurdly in the coaches favor but if we hire a known quantity like Meyer or Stoops, we can afford to take that risk on a contract. I would prefer Stoops since he doesn't have the baggage that Meyer does but either one would be program changers for us. 

Edited by nurbis

I guess I can only hope I am proven wrong on the next coaching search.  But the last 2 searches have underwhelmed.  So not sure the list of coaches you mentioned above are as attainable just because we open a checkbook.

53 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Can you provide any evidence that Harsin has done anything to start.the process you speak of? And Harsin was doing nothing to help get a leg up in recruiting before the PTB did their thing. Not attending key events, visiting recruits we had a reasonable shot at, etc.

There are programs in the SEC that were dumpster fires of a program (namely Arkansas, Tennessee, and to an extent Ole Miss) and their coaches in fairly short order have turned them into competent, competitive programs.. I’ve seen nothing out of Harsin to suggest he’s doing the same here.

I understand this post, but wonder (out loud) why OL recruits aren’t coming. Is new coach going to change that? Are they going to be able to bring anyone in. I feel whoever is successful, it will be a build like the Kentucky coach has built. Will take time ( I also don’t think he will leave Kentucky for a big risk just for the money.)

• Like 2

Let this post be a lesson; just when you decide to make a change and start to sense some hope, the enemy will whisper lies in your ear…”nobody wants you”, “it’s not going to work out”, “you should just settle for less, it’s what you deserve”.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Can you provide any evidence that Harsin has done anything to start.the process you speak of? And Harsin was doing nothing to help get a leg up in recruiting before the PTB did their thing. Not attending key events, visiting recruits we had a reasonable shot at, etc.

There are programs in the SEC that were dumpster fires of a program (namely Arkansas, Tennessee, and to an extent Ole Miss) and their coaches in fairly short order have turned them into competent, competitive programs.. I’ve seen nothing out of Harsin to suggest he’s doing the same here.

Exactly my feelings. He has not brought a y big recruits himself the time he has been here. He has been made to go to recruiting High schools and shows zero personal quality or emotion on the sideline. He's good to talk  Coach speak though I give him that!

• Like 1

Name ONE THING Harsin has improved related to Auburn’s program since he arrived in Auburn at the end of 2020.  Just one thing.  Anything.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, BanditQb said:

i thought we were already there - Willy Wonka | Meme Generator

• Haha 1

Really though, Wait till the end of the season. If Harsin and the team can pull things together and somehow get a 8-9 win season out of this mess then fine, lets continue with what we've got and go from there. 

The worst situation imaginable would be for us to limp to another 6 or less win season, bring in another low rated/small recruiting class that yet again doesn't address our needs and still keep Harsin as a lame duck and then just prolong the inevitable another year and lead to another lost recruiting cycle. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 2

|"All glory is fleeting"

...General Patton

6 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Name ONE THING Harsin has improved related to Auburn’s program since he arrived in Auburn at the end of 2020.  Just one thing.  Anything.  

Orange Facemasks? Did he do even that for the program?

7 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Auburn football? I've got nothing, 

But as a man on a personal level, just the sight of Harsins bulging pecs and biceps on the sideline makes me feel inferior and gives me more motivation to hit the gym. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Really though, Wait till the end of the season. If Harsin and the team can pull things together and somehow get a 8-9 win season out of this mess then fine, lets continue with what we've got and go from there. 

The worst situation imaginable would be for us to limp to another 6 or less win season, bring in a low rated/small recruiting class that yet again doesn't address our needs and still keep Harsin as a lame duck and then just prolong the inevitable another year and lead to another lost recruiting cycle. 

Fam, the only good unit on the team are the Running Backs. It'd be a gift from God if we pulled off 6 wins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BanditQb said:

Anyone who wants 5-6 million dollars a year with a massive buyout, be on network TV 3-4 times a year, constantly in the same breath as Alabama and Georgia as their rivals, the chance to recruit the best of the best, use a new football facility, hammer the transfer portal, etc.

Some coaches would be wary, but what would yall do for 5 million? Not coach at freaking Auburn? lol