Jake Crain bringing the heat

RunInRed

The bad news for Harsin is the support he’s lost from others like me who had taken a position of ‘give him resources and time.’ Unfortunately for him he has neither. So it’s difficult to not move on, now, and get with the business of salvaging the program before it’s dead.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Like 9

I guess it takes someone on a bigger platform to call a spade a spade for people to listen. Again this isn’t new. Most just wasn’t aware of how much Boise was a great situation.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I was willing to give a couple years to prove it, he did Saturday. The timeline has shifted for me.

Jake is right though, both can be true at the same time. Unfortunately, many only realize the 2nd part without recognizing that the first had a huge impact on the 2nd

Same here

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That kid always seems like he's got just enough meth in his system to go unnoticed by most.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Why wasn’t he bringing the heat last November when it was crystal clear when the coaching was equally as pathetic as this season AND recruiting was just as pathetic?

Crain, like most fans, is way too late to the party. Expected it from fans, but not from a well-connected AU analyst.

• Like 5

None of this is a huge surprise to me. Although i thought the implode would come in October. It's just never a winning situation overall when you have a leader that's not supported from the top. It's only a matter of time when that woman or man is fired or leaves on their own. I mainly backed Harsin b/c i didn't want AU to be in yet another coaching search and losing recruits. However, we just have to blow it up. 

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I was willing to give a couple years to prove it, he did Saturday. The timeline has shifted for me.

Jake is right though, both can be true at the same time. Unfortunately, many only realize the 2nd part without recognizing that the first had a huge impact on the 2nd

I know you and I have been consistent about that leading up to Saturday. I find it ominous for Harsin that this shift in position is likely across the board for others like us.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Most rational people recognize he was entering a program that was on a downhill turn with very little talent on the OL. Notice I said rational. 
I think most, like me, thought recruiting could not get any worse than Gus and that he would “fix the glitch” and that just simply has not been the case. The portal was a failure and the OL classes have been poor. It had to be priority #1. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bigbird said:

And that's how it should be. 

The instant and intense hatred for CBH after his announcement was strange. Too many got their lenses muddied in February and couldn't find their way back from the loud and unfounded rumors.  Many just doubled down on their disdain in an attempt to save face. 

Those that were willing to show patience were criticized regularly. I do believe though that the majority of those lost their patience this last Saturday too.  I did. It was wholly embarrassing and we need to now pivot.

I wasn't necessarily for Harsin.. I was for the AU head coach.  Wanted to give him time.. But u and I both know it was gonna be almost impossible for him after Feb investigation.  We are objective enuf to realize that played a part in his lack of success. He also has self inflected wounds. AU should have cut him loose in February and we would be 8 months ahead of where we are now. But now we are where we are...

• Like 4
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

Why wasn’t he bringing the heat last November when it was crystal clear when the coaching was equally as pathetic as this season AND recruiting was just as pathetic?

Crain, like most fans, is way too late to the party. Expected it from fans, but not from a well-connected AU analyst.

I’ve obviously been skeptical since the beginning, but I was starting to really think I was wrong last October. 

Even after the slide to end the season I tried to have some sliver of hope that he’d get things worked out.

What really sealed the deal for me was when Mason left.

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I know you and I have been consistent about that leading up to Saturday. I find it ominous for Harsin that this shift in position is likely across the board for others like us.

Exactly.  People trying to shift our positions for us is too funny.

It did seem like as of 7:00 pm last Saturday the entire fan base was finally unified.  

As with the adage of never wanting to replace a legend, you equally don't want to have to come in after an abject failure.  Neither situation is set up for success.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

What really sealed the deal for me was when Mason left

Look at his defensive performances at OKSt, you may change your mind again...

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Most rational people recognize he was entering a program that was on a downhill turn with very little talent on the OL. Notice I said rational. 
I think most, like me, thought recruiting could not get any worse than Gus and that he would “fix the glitch” and that just simply has not been the case. The portal was a failure and the OL classes have been poor. It had to be priority #1. 

100%

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Look at his defensive performances at OKSt, you may change your mind again...

That’s fair, but it was still such a bad look.

Brian Harbach perfectly encapsulates how I feel, speaking of Mason:

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

Actually he has been very critical of Harsin since last year. He does not like him, especially after he fired his friend 3 games into the season last year. he even said “you better win games”. 
Honestly if you look at what Harsin has done since he has been here, it really has been a train wreck. After one month you fire your WR coach. After the first year you need to replace your OC and DC. Recruiting has been abysmal. And now the product on the field is awful. You have lost to 5 straight P5 teams. 

it is very disappointing for those of us that wanted to see the program change to a stable well run machine but instead have watched it turn into a broken down mess. Last thing any true AU fan wanted. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I’ve obviously been skeptical since the beginning, but I was starting to really think I was wrong last October. 

Even after the slide to end the season I tried to have some sliver of hope that he’d get things worked out.

What really sealed the deal for me was when Mason left.

The Mason departure was so damn unscrupulous. That’s when I knew this was going to be an all-Boise HC/OC/DC command center.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cbo said:

, it felt like a program in chaos. It wasn't any one thing, it was the combination.

And that was my issue.  Your right, but it's been in chaos since after the 2017-18 season.  We haven't remotely been good in 5 years.  The expectation to turn it around quickly was unreasonable to anyone paying attention to the program. 

CBH didn't help himself any and in doing so put him behind a year. Add that to the cluster of roster mismanagement and you see where we're at.  Hopefully a different coach can utilize the portal with better effect.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I can’t stand Jake Crane. He insists upon himself. But he hit the nail on the head with this one. Harsin is and has never been good enough to do this job. And the signs have alwayyyyys been there. Always. This isn’t a surprise to those of us who have been paying attention.

some of us like me are not experts and i thought harsin would do way better than he has. i also thought he was a great coach. not many will admit that but many of us are not experts on college ball.