Jake Crain bringing the heat

RunInRed

Just now, bigbird said:

And that was my issue.  Your right, but it's been in chaos since after the 2017-18 season.  We haven't remotely been good in 5 years.  The expectation to turn it around quickly was unreasonable to anyone paying attention to the program. 

CBH didn't help himself any and in doing so put him behind a year. Add that to the cluster of roster mismanagement and you see where we're at.  Hopefully a different coach can utilize the portal with better effect.

We won 9 games in Gus’s penultimate year against the toughest schedule we’ve ever faced (HALF the final top 10).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AUwent said:

That’s fair, but it was still such a bad look.

Brian Harbach perfectly encapsulates how I feel, speaking of Mason:

This quote from that thread perfectly sums up Harsin coaching in a region he has never been in and what I’ve been saying since November:

This is not fixable, this is not something Auburn did and it is not about Auburn's culture. This is 100% because the coach didn't work hard enough building relationships with High School players/coaches and didn't prioritize the portal with a true understanding of team needs

• Like 4
  • Love 2

i am so dog gone mad i refuse to eat another idaho potato.....................

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And that was my issue.  Your right, but it's been in chaos since after the 2017-18 season.  We haven't remotely been good in 5 years.  The expectation to turn it around quickly was unreasonable to anyone paying attention to the program. 

CBH didn't help himself any and in doing so put him behind a year. Add that to the cluster of roster mismanagement and you see where we're at.  Hopefully a different coach can utilize the portal with better effect.

Right, it has been going downhill for a long time. But expecting a quick turnaround and expecting to see some semblance of organization and improvement are 2 different things. 

I truly believe the right coach can make improvements pretty quickly in today's world. I'm less optimistic we will hire the right guy, but it's obviously time to try.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

some of us like me are not experts and i thought harsin would do way better than he has. i also thought he was a great coach. not many will admit that but many of us are not experts on college ball.

I was not sure of his overall coaching but I darn sure thought he would be a better QB coach than Gus. I was excited for that reason. My one huge concern was always recruiting but when he hired Friend, who brought in a ton of OL talent to TN, I thought OK not bad! Turns out the McDonald’s bags were the real talent behind the Friend recruiting. 
…makes me sad to think about how excited I was to finally have a good OL coach only to see what we are today on the OL. Yuck. 

• Like 1

i think hiring kiffen and giving him a top notch staff will take us to the promised land.

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

I was not sure of his overall coaching but I darn sure thought he would be a better QB coach than Gus. I was excited for that reason. My one huge concern was always recruiting but when he hired Friend, who brought in a ton of OL talent to TN, I thought OK not bad! Turns out the McDonald’s bags were the real talent behind the Friend recruiting. 
…makes me sad to think about how excited I was to finally have a good OL coach only to see what we are today on the OL. Yuck. 

listen to finebaum if you are not a hater. he is going in depth about harsin and who we should replace him with. and kiffen is his guy.

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

Right, it has been going downhill for a long time. But expecting a quick turnaround and expecting to see some semblance of organization and improvement are 2 different things. 

I truly believe the right coach can make improvements pretty quickly in today's world. I'm less optimistic we will hire the right guy, but it's obviously time to try.

I think CBH could've if he hadn't had been hamstrung by Rich so badly.  Unfortunately, CBH couldn't figure out how to navigate those waters. The next guy needs to be a portal savant

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I think CBH could've if he hadn't had been hamstrung by Rich so badly.  Unfortunately, CBH couldn't figure out how to navigate those waters. The next guy needs to be a portal savant

Seriously, my first interview question would be "how do you plan to manage the portal?"

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We won 9 games in Gus’s penultimate year against the toughest schedule we’ve ever faced (HALF the final top 10).

Are you saying that you think or thought we were heading in the right direction?

CBH if nothing else, will have made us once removed from Gus and his detrimental roster management. Unfortunately, the OL is still in shambles and our LB play has been atrocious. It's time

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Are you saying that you think or thought we were heading in the right direction?

CBH if nothing else, will have made us once removed from Gus and his detrimental roster management. Unfortunately, the OL is still in shambles and our LB play has been atrocious. It's time

This just was too much of an uphill battle for him. CBH will be successful after his tour at Auburn. I have no doubt in my mind about that. The vindictiveness of some here is ridiculous though. This is not an easy place to be and win at. The next guy will have to be a wizard and also deserves more patience than CBH received. Interesting to see the response this week. I really do hope he can get the Arizona state job. I think he could be competitive there. It will get him and his family back to their comfort zone.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I was willing to give a couple years to prove it, he did Saturday. The timeline has shifted for me.

Jake is right though, both can be true at the same time. Unfortunately, many only realize the 2nd part without recognizing that the first had a huge impact on the 2nd

If we do move on from Harsin, do you believe the next coach will be coming into a better, worse, or same overall situation compared to what Harsin inherited? 

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Kiffen loves the portal and I don't know what Ole Miss would look like if he didn't. I think he has upwards of 25 players from the portal on the roster.

Also heard a guy (with one of the AU blogs) on XM saying that the work ethic wasn't there with Harsin. I have no idea about that, but it backs up the Twitter rant above.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JuscAUse! said:

Also heard a guy (with one of the AU blogs) on XM saying that the work ethic wasn't there with Harsin

That’s hilarious. He might’ve failed here but does he look like a dude that lacks work ethic? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

This just was too much of an uphill battle for him. CBH will be successful after his tour at Auburn. I have no doubt in my mind about that. The vindictiveness of some here is ridiculous though. This is not an easy place to be and win at. The next guy will have to be a wizard and also deserves more patience than CBH received. Interesting to see the response this week. 

it would have been an uphill battle for the best of coaches. harsin seemingly didn't adapt to his changing landscape. in other words he didn't try and help himself in an already bad situation. i wish it wasn't the case. i truly wanted him and Auburn to be successful.

• Like 5

Just now, CoffeeTiger said:

If we do move on from Harsin, do you believe the next coach will be coming into a better, worse, or same overall situation compared to what Harsin inherited? 

CBH had to create, not revamp, but create a recruiting department and build a expanded and competent off field staff.  That alone is better off..

However, just like the last 5 years, it will all come down to OL recruiting.

• Like 3

The reason I am done on Harsin is because we didn't just look "bad but getting better" in our play vs PSU.  We straight up were in disarray.  Gameplan was crap, players looked unprepared.

Hell in the second half, they put Robby out there, the camera zoomed in on his face and he looked like a scared kid (I think he had just unsuccessfully ran the ball or gotten sacked), I said to myself he is about to throw a pick here. Next play? Interception.  These kids weren't prepared for this game.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, AU80cruiser said:

Are the new talent evaluators/scouts tied to Harsin's staff or are they a separate entity that we can use to help hire a new coach?

I would hope they say, but that will be up to the new HC 

I was really big on the Harsin hire at first. And then he fired the WR coach and used him as a scapegoat for not being a good enough coach. I still supported Harsin because at the end of the day we all should want Auburn to be successful and to be successful you have to have a good Head Coach. I wasn't optimistic or hopeful that Harsin was the right guy though.

Then it came out that he wasn't going to schools just miles down the road for recruiting and it wasn't until after all that came to light that he finally decided to take recruiting a bit more serious. But by then it was way too damn late.

Didn't get into all the drama about Harsin t and it's a bad look for Auburn but at the end of the day if you lead Auburn to their worst home loss since 2012 you should be fired the following day. This time we need to get the right guy and we can't screw it up. We're already paying too much to one coaching staff and now we have to do the whole damn thing again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

CBH had to create, not revamp, but create a recruiting department and build a expanded and competent off field staff.  That alone is better off..

However, just like the last 5 years, it will all come down to OL recruiting.

and that takes time. unfortunately it can't be gained back in one (maybe even 2) classes. but steps forward are required.

Just now, fasttimes said:

it would have been an uphill battle for the best of coaches. harsin seemingly didn't adapt to his changing landscape. in other words he didn't try and help himself in an already bad situation. i wish it wasn't the case. i truly wanted him and Auburn to be successful.

True. He didn’t . He tried to do it his way and unfortunately under this landscape you can’t be that rigid . This is a diplomatic game more than anything. He clearly wasn’t as accustomed to that coming from Boise. With that being said, he didn’t deserve all the vitriol that was thrown at him either. I know there are some people who would say he deserves but how about be the bigger person ? Guys love to talk family and creed until adversity hits . It is very hollow words. 

• Like 3

Three coaches must be retained IMO, Ike, Etheridge, and Caddy.  Only way we retain some of our recruits and we keep players from transferring away.

Edit: New HC wants to retain them after interviewing is my hope.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s hilarious. He might’ve failed here but does he look like a dude that lacks work ethic? 

It depends on what he spent his time working on. He could have spent all of his time working on the wrong thing and still have good work ethic. His efforts, or lack of effort, in recruiting means he has bad worth ethic when it comes to that part of the job.

• Like 1