Jake Crain bringing the heat

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s hilarious. He might’ve failed here but does he look like a dude that lacks work ethic? 

That's why I separated the two replies and added I don't know to the second reply. One is fact and one is hear say. I wouldn't have mentioned it at all except for the same thing said on the Twitter rant posted in this thread. 

To answer your question - No he doesn't. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Actually he has been very critical of Harsin since last year. He does not like him, especially after he fired his friend 3 games into the season last year. he even said “you better win games”. 
Honestly if you look at what Harsin has done since he has been here, it really has been a train wreck. After one month you fire your WR coach. After the first year you need to replace your OC and DC. Recruiting has been abysmal. And now the product on the field is awful. You have lost to 5 straight P5 teams. 

it is very disappointing for those of us that wanted to see the program change to a stable well run machine but instead have watched it turn into a broken down mess. Last thing any true AU fan wanted. 

Couldn’t agree more. Well stated.

I know it’s a cliche, but it fits perfectly. You reap what you sow. When you hire a HC who has zero experience recruiting in the SE, the most difficult region in the Nation, you get the horrendous results on the field.

Yes, there are exceptions…Saban from Kent St/Michigan St to LSU.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AUwent said:

That’s fair, but it was still such a bad look.

Brian Harbach perfectly encapsulates how I feel, speaking of Mason:

There were so many signs that had nothing to do with the stupid online rumors about the female staffer.

- Five game losing streak
- Major game management errors
- Recruiting and portal failures
- lack of HS connections revealed
- Portal exodus
- Three year starting QB leaves
- The OC hire that quit after a week
- Striking out on NSD

But the biggest, absolute burning red flag was Mason’s exit. That was DEFCON 1 for me. A well respected coach, who was only ever doing a year or two as a DC before going back to a HC gig, taking a paycut to go to a worse program? Rather than stick it out another year? That showed something was seriously amiss.

I think we all had hope it would somehow magically work itself out. But all the signs were there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

Three coaches must be retained IMO, Ike, Etheridge, and Caddy.  Only way we retain some of our recruits and we keep players from transferring away.

Absolutely, 100% no. Nope. Not at all. You do not hire a head coach and then tell him he has to keep on coaches from a previous staff. Any good head coach should want to and have the ability to have the staff that they want. Not handpicked by other people.

The new guy can interview those two and if he wants he can keep them on but it shouldn't be a "must".

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Exactly.  People trying to shift our positions for us is too funny.

It did seem like as of 7:00 pm last Saturday the entire fan base was finally unified.  

As with the adage of never wanting to replace a legend, you equally don't want to have to come in after an abject failure.  Neither situation is set up for success.

In what way was Gus an abject failure?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

CBH had to create, not revamp, but create a recruiting department and build a expanded and competent off field staff.  That alone is better off..

However, just like the last 5 years, it will all come down to OL recruiting.

i am on reddit and 99 per cent of the folks on that site all say it comes down to the o line.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

There were so many signs that had nothing to do with the stupid online rumors about the female staffer.

- Portal exodus
- Striking out on NSD

But the biggest, absolute burning red flag was Mason’s exit. That was DEFCON 1 for me. A well respected coach, who was only ever doing a year or two as a DC before going back to a HC gig, taking a paycut to go to a worse program? Rather than stick it out another year? That showed something was seriously amiss.

I think we all had hope it would somehow magically work itself out. But all the signs were there. 

It has definitely not been what AU fans wanted or expected. Quite the opposite actually. Sad. 

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i am on reddit and 99 per cent of the folks on that site all say it comes down to the o line.

Yes and he failed in that retrospect of getting us ready. You cannot win at any level without quality line play from borne sides. You have to prioritize that big time.

For whatever reason , this coaching staff did not have the skill set to relate to these young men across the spectrum. People like to bitch and whine about Dabo, NS and CKS, exclaiming they are not good coaches, only good recruiters. That is silly. It takes a special person to not only lead young men form various backgrounds to your program but also help them achieve their very best. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Just want to bring up how many of you were the guys laughing when myself and others were pointing out how he needed to try to talk and understand the players. 

You laughed and said we were losing the players that were too soft and weak....I literally said it won't be funny when it's time to look at recruiting

what do you think the players leaving meant about hars not knowing how to talk to southern kids? i am pretty sure just about all kids play for a hard ass at times so i have never understood this. you got any insights?

5 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

In what way was Gus an abject failure?

How's our offensive line?

His scheme 

His roster management

His inability to evolve 

His pigeonholing players

His lack of discipline

His lack of accountability 

His paranoia 

His inability to beat UGA, LSU, UA consistently

His inability to win on the road

His inability to win a bowl game

There are a few more but you get the picture

• Like 9

Auburn’s 2 biggest issues fall squarely on Harsin at this point.  You can blame the Oline on Gus but Harsin had 2 cycles to bring in transfer Oline guys.  He didn’t do that.  All the Qbs are his and frOm what they’ve shown they are all really bad.  Calzada either wasn’t held accountable for learning the play book or Is still hurt.  Either way that’s not acceptable because there’s no way TJ and Robby looked good enough in practice.  It’s just like 2015.  There is no way a competent coach watches JJ in practice and thinks he’s the best option and still isn’t sure a year later when nothing has changed.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

- Portal exodus
- Striking out on NSD

I'll give you the rest of the reasons, but losing the starting QB was the reason I gave him a pass on the first reason listed. And I was assuming Tank was banged up , but after 9 carries Saturday, I'm not sure about that now.

Edited by JuscAUse!

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Yes and he failed in that retrospect of getting us ready. You cannot win at any level without quality line play from borne sides. You have to prioritize that big time.

For whatever reason , this coaching staff did not have the skill set to relate to these young men across the spectrum. People like to bitch and whine about Dabo, NS and CKS, exclaiming they are not good coaches, only good recruiters. That is silly. It takes a special person to not only lead young men form various backgrounds to your program but also help them achieve their very best. 

i agree. i do not need perfect seasons every year but i want some. the big thing to me is when we walk out on the field other teams fear us to an extent that when they play us they need to bring it. and that includes the visitors wearing depends because we are going to be knocking the crap out of em. then lets help em up and do it again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

It takes a special person to not only lead young men form various backgrounds to your program but also help them achieve their very best. 

Exactly. Harsin is not only not special, he is the opposite.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I'll give you the rest of the reasons, but losing the starting QB was the reason I gave him a pass on the first reason listed. And I was assuming Tank was banged up , but after 9 carries Saturday, I'm not sure about that now.

no one has mentioned this but tj was benched because he was hurt. harsin said it. not sure how bad tho.

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

This just was too much of an uphill battle for him. CBH will be successful after his tour at Auburn. I have no doubt in my mind about that. The vindictiveness of some here is ridiculous though. This is not an easy place to be and win at. The next guy will have to be a wizard and also deserves more patience than CBH received. Interesting to see the response this week. I really do hope he can get the Arizona state job. I think he could be competitive there. It will get him and his family back to their comfort zone.

I don’t think he’ll be successful at any power 5 gig. I haven’t seen anything in his time here to indicate that. Harsin’s only real experience was at his alma mater, in a town where he was born and raised. A program he knew inside and out, that had several unique advantages in relation to their competition. 

His results at Boise are probably the absolute best he can do, when every condition is in his favor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Absolutely, 100% no. Nope. Not at all. You do not hire a head coach and then tell him he has to keep on coaches from a previous staff. Any good head coach should want to and have the ability to have the staff that they want. Not handpicked by other people.

The new guy can interview those two and if he wants he can keep them on but it shouldn't be a "must".

This is more what I meant, I worded it poorly. my hope is that the new HC retains them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t think he’ll be successful at any power 5 gig. I haven’t seen anything in his time here to indicate that. Harsin’s only real experience was at his alma mater, in a town where he was born and raised. A program he knew inside and out, that had several unique advantages in relation to their competition. 

His results at Boise are probably the absolute best he can do, when every condition is in his favor.

Agree to disagree. I think if he goes to a place like Tempe after this experience he can be very successful. Baptism by fire is what he went through and I feel CBH will take the failures he has here, learn from them and grow. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

no one has mentioned this but tj was benched because he was hurt. harsin said it. not sure how bad tho.

TJ looked like the QB that we mauled in JHS two years ago. Same player, same results, with two years to get better. Didn't happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Agree to disagree. I think if he goes to a place like Tempe after this experience he can be very successful. Baptism by fire is what he went through and I feel CBH will take the failures he have here, learn from them and grow. 

I agree.

Speaking in extremes and absolutes seldom paint an honest picture.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s hilarious. He might’ve failed here but does he look like a dude that lacks work ethic? 

From all indications from high school coaches in the state, yes. I think too many people have been fooled by how Harsin “looks” or “talks”. Yes, he presents himself like an absolute alpha and says all the right things. But that doesn’t mean he practices what he preaches.

When you look at the recruiting results in addition to on the field results, it doesn’t look great. Then there’s little stuff like not going to basketball games or leaving after a quarter. 

If he IS a hard worker, then it’s all on stuff within the building. Which is a misallocation of effort.

But I’m no longer entranced by the whole “work, hard work” alpha dog image CBH presents. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

How's our offensive line?

His scheme 

His roster management

His inability to evolve 

His pigeonholing players

His lack of discipline

His lack of accountability 

His paranoia 

His inability to beat UGA, LSU, UA consistently

His inability to win on the road

His inability to win a bowl game

There are a few more but you get the picture

I don’t call that an abject failure. He ran a clean program, had a winning season every year, and was a good recruiter. You wanna see an abject failure, look at Hardin. 

• Like 2

Just now, AUght2win said:

From all indications from high school coaches in the state, yes. I think too many people have been fooled by how Harsin “looks” or “talks”. Yes, he presents himself like an absolute alpha and says all the right things. But that doesn’t mean he practices what he preaches.

When you look at the recruiting results in addition to on the field results, it doesn’t look great. Then there’s little stuff like not going to basketball games or leaving after a quarter. 

If he IS a hard worker, then it’s all on stuff within the building. Which is a misallocation of effort.

But I’m no longer entranced by the whole “work, hard work” alpha dog image CBH presents. 

You don’t get to being a freaking head coach at an SEC program without work ethic. Come on man?

I don’t care who you are. You might fail at this level but to get to this point you have had to work your ass off. 

• Love 1