Lane Kiffin

AUBURNJAC

5 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I think Mark Stoops would be tremendous and we would have a realistic chance at getting him. Lane would be good too but why would he leave a good thing at Ole miss where he has job security and the playoffs right around the corner which should help his chances of further success with minimal pressure?

My first choice would be Mark Stoops because he just silently and steadily gets solid results. I would love that possibility but I am afraid someone else will get to him before we wake up and do it.

Edited by au701948

2 minutes ago, Rance Hardy said:

He has no reason to leave and go to au. In the mess we are in. 

If that were a valid reason then we won’t get anyone because that can be said for literally every successful coach out there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

He would also bring our damn Orange Jerseys back. 

Glad we didn’t wear them Saturday. Would have broke tradition for a complete embarrassment. Would have been even more embarrassing, if that’s possible.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tigers77 said:

All this talk and speculation and y’all know it’s happening…

01C96C78-D6E7-449E-A761-100D3A8BAAF6.png

May be to good for us. May need to find Ted Roof or Ellis Johnson. Teds 2006 and Ellis’s 2012 seasons were magical.

Edited by sevenlee36
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I think Mark Stoops would be tremendous and we would have a realistic chance at getting him. Lane would be good too but why would he leave a good thing at Ole miss where he has job security and the playoffs right around the corner which should help his chances of further success with minimal pressure?

Why would we have a realistic chance at Stoops but not at Lane? Stoops literally has the exact same reasons you listed for Kiffin. To me we either have a shot at both or we have a shot at neither. 

12 minutes ago, au701948 said:

My first choice would be Mark Stoops because he just silently and steadily gets solid results. I would love that possibility but I am afraid someone else will get to him before we wake up and do it.

AU won't have the patience with Stoops

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

If that were a valid reason then we won’t get anyone because that can be said for literally every successful coach out there. 

You are correct for that comment but it may be reason we got Harsin snd not a prime coach. What quality coach thinks auburn is a dream job. It used to be. But not now if it continues.kiffin can build legacy at ole miss. Maybe stoops thinks au is a step up. Hugh freeze would surely consider auburn as a step up. 

19 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

May be to good for us. May need to find Ted Roof or Ellis Johnson. Teds 2006 and Ellis’s 2012 seasons were magical.

I actually was really fond of Ellis Johnson, I thought he was pure class and 2012 imo was in large part Loefflers disaster but maybe I'm wrong. Roof was sort of just a slob imo.

also wasn't van gorder 2012 defensive coordinator?

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

18 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Why would we have a realistic chance at Stoops but not at Lane? Stoops literally has the exact same reasons you listed for Kiffin. To me we either have a shot at both or we have a shot at neither. 

Just a feeling I'm operating on.. I feel like he'd consider Auburn before Kiffin would. Who knows.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I actually was really fond of Ellis Johnson, I thought he was pure class and 2012 imo was in large part Loefflers disaster but maybe I'm wrong. Roof was sort of just a slob imo.

also wasn't van gorder 2012 defensive coordinator?

Ellis was a head coach in 2012

9 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Lane hates recruiting.. and has had worse classes than AU

That's a false statement.

21 minutes ago, Systems said:

That's a false statement.

No it's not. He's publicly stated he doesn't like it and prefers coaching. His classes are also not great... https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2022/07/10/ole-miss-football-recruiting-rankings-summer-commits-trend-lane-kiffin/7810299001/

Does this guy seem excited about recruiting....

Edited by Randman5000
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

I’m not sure his “don’t give a sheet” attitude would fly at Auburn like it does at ole piss. 

It would be fine at the new Auburn.

13 hours ago, AUBURNJAC said:

Ok... Here it goes

Please hear me out and then give me thoughts, good and bad.   

Lane Kiffin is the coach I would like to see at Auburn.  I know he has a "complicated" past, but it seems to me that this super talented coach has finally matured into a serious SEC coach.  Yes, there were plenty of issues with him with his sudden departure from Tennessee to his tumultuous tenure at USC.    However, most of his "shenanigans" are nearly 10 years old.  He did a great job at Florida Atlantic and has quickly turned Ole Miss into a top tier SEC team.   He also has NFL experience, and that is important to recruits. Speaking of, he is a beast at recruiting and that will be super important to Auburn as long as Nick and Kirby are on their respective thrones. 

I think Kiffin would fit right in with Auburn as well.  He would bring an energy that would fit right in and likely play off of Bruce Pearls in my opinion.  He would bring a lot of enthusiasm to our fan base, and you know the students would absolutely love him just the way they do Pearl! Ole Miss is paying him a pretty penny,  but in my opinion Auburn has proven that it is a place where championships can be won, while Ole Miss has not.  I think if Lane had the entire state of Georgia in his back yard to competitively recruit in, he could do plenty with that. More than he can do with North Mississippi and West Tennessee anyway.  

So, what are some others thoughts on this?  I personally like him a lot more than Freeze or Stoops.  I think it is imperative that we get someone with solid HC experience from a power 5 program. Equally important though (imho) is  for Auburn to hire a kick ass recruiter who knows the SEC, has youth on his side, and  an energy to excite not only his players, but a very depressed fan base.  He would be very pricey,  but I think this hire would pay big dividends for Auburn! 

#LaneforAU

Lane was my 1st name that i've been saying since Saturday. Yes, i'm repeating myself but i really do think it would be an easy sell. I'm tired of not having a competent offense. Ole Miss is actually playing defense now too!  We'd get attention from good QBs instantly. My main points was also that he's not going to win a championship at Ole Miss. He can do more at Auburn. 

He's likely only one of the few top candidates we probably have a chance to get. Hugh would be 2nd for me. 

9 hours ago, shabby said:

Why would Lane even think about leaving Ole Miss for Auburn? It's almost delusional to think he would leave a program on the rise for a program in decay.

Cause if he has any desire to win a natty...he has to go somewhere else. He took jobs a historic programs Tenn and USC. He likes the limelight. Ole Miss is a nice story every 4 or 5 years but he'd have a great chance of actually beating the midget on a yearly basis. Having the IronBowl decide more years than not who goes to SEC Championship. Lane and his ego would love that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

The 12 team playoff says different. Kiffin would have been there last year, proving they can be there when it goes into effect in a couple of years. 

Plenty of teams will be there. Doesn't mean they actually will have a real shot of winning it. It's a money thing. I wish it was 8 instead of 12. But it's not going to change seeing the same 2-3 teams make it to the final 4. It will help some programs with recruiting b/c the can say the made the playoffs but that's about it. 

9 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

No it's not. He's publicly stated he doesn't like it and prefers coaching. His classes are also not great... https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2022/07/10/ole-miss-football-recruiting-rankings-summer-commits-trend-lane-kiffin/7810299001/

Does this guy seem excited about recruiting....

He seems like he’s coaching FAU and having to live in Florida. Haha! I would totally believe that he was like frantically trying to wipe sweat off his face in between takes.

56 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He seems like he’s coaching FAU and having to live in Florida. Haha! I would totally believe that he was like frantically trying to wipe sweat off his face in between takes.

He recruits the heck out of the portal. Nobody can argue that. A lot of the two deep are portal guys, and they seem to come up to speed quickly. That would indicate a HC and staff that knows what they are doing, IMHO.