Gernorris Wilson Decommits After Harsin Firing

toddc

Offensive lineman Gernorris Wilson commits to Auburn

11 minutes ago

Auburn wasn't going to let him leave without a commitment again.

3-star offensive lineman Gernorris Wilsonannounced his commitment to Auburn on Monday, choosing the Tigers over North Carolina. After nearly committing to Auburn during his visit for Big Cat Weekend, he pulls the trigger just after his official visit to the Plains.

"The family environment," Wilson said was the reason he chose Auburn. "It’s just different. There’s no place really like it. I can’t really pinpoint it, it’s just I’ve been around it and this is where I want to be."

The commitment from Wilson, while just a 3-star, is a crucial one for Auburn. It comes at a major position of need in the offensive line, where Auburn is looking to add — at a minimum — four high schoolers. Now, Auburn has two with Wilson joining 4-star center Bradyn Joiner.

While the 247Sports Composite has Wilson as the No. 1,145 player, No. 86 interior offensive lineman and No. 162 player in the state of Florida, Auburn had Wilson evaluated much, much higher.

Part of that is because of his versatility. At 6-foot-5, 285 pounds, Wilson is being recruited as one of Auburn's "swing" players along the offensive line. Auburn has told Wilson he could play right tackle or play guard, which would be an important addition for a team lacking both tackles and guard along the offensive line moving forward.

Previously playing at Lake Gibson before transferring to powerhouse Lakeland for his senior season, Wilson's first visit to Auburn came back in June. It was then, when Auburn's staff got eyes on him, he received an offer. And then he returned for Big Cat Weekend with his family, which helped vault Auburn to the top of his recruitment.

Wilson has been recruited by offensive line analyst Joe Bernardi heavily, with offensive line coach Will Friend also involved in the recruitment.

"I love them, they seem like real down-to-earth people," Wilson said. "I actually spent time with them and they’re just real, that’s the best way I can put it."

7COMMENTS

The commitment is the second one Auburn picked up in as many days, as Wilson and 3-star defensive tackle Jamarrion Harklessjoin the class. Auburn's class is now up to 10 commitments, with Joiner, Jeremiah Cobb, Daquayvious Sorey, Wilky Denaud, Terrance Love, Adam Hopkins, Ashley Williams and JC Hart also committed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• toddc changed the title to Gernorris Wilson Commit to AU

It sure would be nice to find a coach that could develop this kid and get the most out of him. I don’t trust Will Friend to do that. But props to Friend for bringing in another guy.

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Hopefully these commitments are about guys loving and committing to Auburn instead of a coaching staff. WDE Mr. Wilson! Welcome!

Hope so recruits have to know of the possibility

• Like 3

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Hope so recruits have to know of the possibility

Unless we find the few people in the US disconnected from technology that have the skill set to play SEC football…..I imagine so lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, fredst said:

Unless we find the few people in the US disconnected from technology that have the skill set to play SEC football…..I imagine so lol

That just sounds like something we would do 🤣

Edited by autiger88
  • Haha 1

Getting a commitment two days after that "hot mess" on Saturday..............impressive!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Getting a commitment two days after that "hot mess" on Saturday..............impressive!

My first thought lol

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Wilson has been recruited by offensive line analyst Joe Bernardi heavily, with offensive line coach Will Friend also involved in the recruitment.

So our O line coach is being outworked by an analyst. If that’s not telling. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Maybe they recognize the chance to play early?

Um .... okay ..... the 1,145th prospect. 95th OL. Like 94 OL guys ranked higher than him. Like, about a hundred? Am I supposed to get orgasmic about Harson's recruiting now?

Hey, I'm sure he's a fine young man. Welcome to being a starter at Auburn !!!!

Edited by AURex
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, AURex said:

Um .... okay ..... the 1,145th prospect. 95th OL. Like 94 OL guys ranked higher than him. Like, about a hundred? Am I supposed to get orgasmic about Harson's recruiting now?

To be honest, I have never understood why we don't sign 5-6 O linemen a year. To heck with stars. When we COULD get 4 star O line commits and signees in years past, we would get our butts kicked by some big ten team with 2 star mean ass O linemen in a bowl game just waiting to bust people in the mouth. O line is the hardest position to project as players in college if I remember correctly. Give me big, athletic, mean, and something to prove. 

I still want 5 stars if possible. But if not, roll the dang dice and get some folks that want to hit somebody.

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

Welcome to Auburn Mr. Wilson. He should add size and strength and be ready to contribute in a couple of years if not sooner. I think we probably had several OL rated higher on the board, so the coaches may have  slow played him a little. But it's unlikely we land those higher rated lineman after Saturday's debacle. GW may have been about ready to commit somewhere else. Thank goodness our staff let him pull the trigger. WDE!!

• Like 2

Very good pickup he fits the type of HS player we need to sign if we don't get the 5* stud. A player with the potential to develop over a couple of years who can become an SEC lineman. we need a couple more like this from HS ranks then we need to hit the Portal hard.

War Eagle and welcome to Auburn.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Very good pickup he fits the type of HS player we need to sign if we don't get the 5* stud. A player with the potential to develop over a couple of years who can become an SEC lineman. we need a couple more like this from HS ranks then we need to hit the Portal hard.

War Eagle and welcome to Auburn.

I agree and am excited he chose the good guys. WDE young man. You will love Auburn!

I keep calling him Gernormous for some reason. 😝 

On 9/19/2022 at 9:44 PM, AURex said:

All they have to do is take a look at the current starters we have on the OL to realize if they put in the work they can be starters immediately....if not sooner.