Nebraska, Tennessee, Florida State, Miami, Texas, Virginia Tech, USC

TeamZero77

All of these programs were top programs and quickly fell off the face of the earth. I mentioned in another thread that I'm really worried that we could follow this trend. It can happen in the blink of an eye, especially in the SEC West, and you find yourself sitting and wondering "How in the hell did we get this bad, this fast?" 

Something that I've always stood firm on is that this won't happen to Auburn because we don't go through coaches every 2 or 3 years. Shug, Dye, Tubs, Gus all stayed atleast 8 years here. Bowden was nearly 6 years, Barfield and Chizik 4 years. We would have a bad season but quickly come back the next year or 2 and go undefeated, win a Natty or play for a Natty. This time it just feels different to me. Especially with NIL and other schools seem to have really figured the NIL deal out. 

Those schools I listed, all had coaches that stayed for many years. Osborne, Fulmer, Bowden, Beamer, Mack Brown, etc. Then they quickly got into the coaching turnover every 3 years or so. Some like Miami, Tennessee seem to have the right coach now but it can happen in the blink of an eye. I would make the arguement that Florida would be on this list if they were in the SEC West. 

The transfer portal will help us alot and hopefully have us back to contending quickly but we just need the right coach that knows how to work the portal and NIL. 

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1

Texas is probably the only one relevant to us.  The others were effected by rule changes or not investing in their programs.   We have revenues and recruiting advantages they don't.  

18 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

Texas is probably the only one relevant to us.  The others were effected by rule changes or not investing in their programs.   We have revenues and recruiting advantages they don't.  

Florida State isn't relevant to Auburn?  Really???

USC has fewer recruiting advantages than Auburn?  Really???

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 3

Harsh reality is until Saban is done and the machine Kirby has going on at UGA now similar to Bama slows down it doesn't really matter. Doesn't mean you give up or anything, it's just you got to get real with expectations. Find a solid coach that can put together a staff who eats and sleeps recruiting (in the south!) and can coach that talent up to be competitive to 10+ wins on most years and 8-9 wins on down years(rebuild). Throw in being competitive every year against UGA/Bama with a win sometimes like Auburn is supposed to do and known for and I think all would be well. Sounds fairly achievable I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Schools fall off the face of the Earth because they lose their elite coach and then struggle to find another. Schools that have been dynasties just tend to have less patience so they burn through coaches trying to get back to that level.  When you have never been at that level, you tend to be more comfortable with mediocrity. Like how a 10-3 season at bama or at Clemson last year was a bad season for them but a 10-4 season got our coach an enormous raise and extension. That is why we don't burn through coaches.

7 minutes ago, clwn said:

Harsh reality is until Saban is done and the machine Kirby has going on at UGA now similar to Bama slows down it doesn't really matter. Doesn't mean you give up or anything, it's just you got to get real with expectations. Find a solid coach that can put together a staff who eats and sleeps recruiting (in the south!) and can coach that talent up to be competitive to 10+ wins on most years and 8-9 wins on down years(rebuild). Throw in being competitive every year against UGA/Bama with a win sometimes like Auburn is supposed to do and known for and I think all would be well. Sounds fairly achievable I think.

I don't think most folks grasp how hard 8-9 wins is going to be moving forward with Texas & Oklahoma joining the league and a likely 9 game conference schedule + at least one OOC Power 5 game coming.

The 3-4 layup wins per year are going to be a thing of the past.  I personally love that, but standards are going to have to be recalibrated.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You really have to wonder what people are thinking before they hit that “submit post” button. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

"How in the hell did we get this bad, this fast?" 

Easy to answer. It actually took years to get here and the cause was years of poor offensive line recruiting under Gus. Oh and don’t think it will be easy to go from a high school offense to a pro style offense with the players recruited to run a Hurry Up offense. It took years to get this bad… going to take time. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't think most folks grasp how hard 8-9 wins is going to be moving forward with Texas & Oklahoma joining the league and a likely 9 game conference schedule + at least one OOC Power 5 game coming.

The 3-4 layup wins per year are going to be a thing of the past.  I personally love that, but standards are going to have to be recalibrated.

If we don’t hire a good coach this next round we’re going to take a nose dive  straight into irrelevance; and people will still wonder how we got there whilst blaming boosters and other bogeymen.. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Agreed.

33 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Do you know anything about either program?   USC was in a death spiral with Swann.  Bohn is trying to turn it around now but they stopped supporting the program financially.  FSU is so far behind in facilities.  Texas and AU dump large amounts of money into their programs and have access to elite talent.  

• Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

Do you know anything about either program?   USC was in a death spiral with Swann.  Bohn is trying to turn it around now but they stopped supporting the program financially.  FSU is so far behind in facilities.  Texas and AU dump large amounts of money into their programs and have access to elite talent.  

Comparing us to the spending of Texas is laughable.  We aren't in the same ballpark.

USC and FSU both have access to elite talent.  USC moreso than either program actually because they are the big program in a talent rich area.

Our facilities are just now getting better.  Auburn is and has been a ways behind in the SEC.  And they still pale in comparison to Bama, A&M, Texas, Georgia, etc.

• Like 1

The plain fact is that it usually takes 3 or 4 coaches until you get the right one.  The NIL era is also a change we don't seem to be ready for. It favors a large alumni base that cares about football, a brand name, and location in big market.  A few schools like Texas are uniquely positioned for it. We are okay on those fronts, but not advantaged relative to most SEC schools. If we don't get the right guy fast, and get on the same page with our money men, a decade or more of irrelevance is staring us in the face.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Comparing us to the spending of Texas is laughable.  We aren't in the same ballpark.

USC and FSU both have access to elite talent.  USC moreso than either program actually because they are the big program in a talent rich area.

Our facilities are just now getting better.  Auburn is and has been a ways behind in the SEC.  And they still pale in comparison to Bama, A&M, Texas, Georgia, etc.

Yeah.   You still didn't get the point.  

• Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Maybe. I’m truly not convinced Texas and Oklahoma will fair too well here. At least for a while. Missouri has never really gained their legs. And despite all of TAMU’s spending, they haven’t either.

Texas and OU have spent decades in a conference that has never offered anymore than maybe 1 team per year that could truly compete with them. Yet, they still struggled (especially Texas). They’re about to walk into one where there will always be a minimum of 3-4 every year.

I’m not so sure that you don’t have it backward. Texas and OU may be the ones in for a rude awakening, not the core conference members.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Our goal should be a playoff berth once every five years when it expands IMO. The question is, what record will be needed?

Bur this is also why wanting Florida or LSU in that third spot is beyond stupid.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Agreed. We’re having a hard time getting go to 8-9 wins consistently now. Some on here seem to think we are among the nation’s elite programs and we’re not. Minus a couple of special seasons we’ve been mediocre in conference and recently awful vs Big 10 and ACC teams. We have a long road back. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Maybe. I’m truly not convinced Texas and Oklahoma will fair too well here. At least for a while. Missouri has never really gained their legs. And despite all of TAMU’s spending, they haven’t either.

Texas and OU have spent decades in a conference that has never offered anymore than maybe 1 team per year that could truly compete with them. Yet, they still struggled (especially Texas). They’re about to walk into one where there will always be a minimum of 3-4 every year.

I’m not so sure that you don’t have it backward. Texas and OU may be the ones in for a rude awakening, not the core conference members.

OU hasn't struggled in the Big 12 at all.  They have lost a total of 8 conference games in the last 7 years and have won the conference in 6 of those 7 seasons.

Texas obviously has struggled, but like A&M, the NIL game is going to change things significantly for them.  They just spent $250k on a weekend recruting trip for Arch Manning and that is child's play money in Austin.  It won't be same ole Texas in about 2 years IMO.

But my main points is that getting to 8-9 wins is going to only get tougher.  One less gimme win per year + two really good programs being added to the league.

Edited by Brad_ATX

12 hours ago, AUCE05 said:

You think Auburn has a better recruiting draw than USC? You know how many kids would rather go live in LA than Auburn?

11 hours ago, AUCE05 said:

Yeah.   You still didn't get the point.  

Enlighten us

13 hours ago, clwn said:

In other words, Gus.  That is the rub.

10 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

In other words, Gus.  That is the rub.

What?

• Like 1

We've traditionally been ahead of MS St, Ole Miss, Ark, and a bit ahead of TAMU, and maybe just barely lower than LSU. So historically 2nd or 3rd place in the SEC West, probably leaning towards 3rd on most years.

With NIL and how much money the other schools can bring, it'll be a serious challenge to stay there. We should be able to stay with the MS schools and Ark, a bigger task to stay with TAMU and LSU. I would just like to get back to mid-SEC West with a good run every 5-10 years.