Ted Cruz admits on Fox News that transporting migrants across state lines is illegal

aubiefifty

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz admits on Fox News that transporting migrants across state lines is illegal

Michael Karlis

3-4 minutes

click to enlarge

Wikimedia Commons / Gage Skidmore

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz made the statement Friday during a Fox News appearance.

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz admitted to Fox News anchor Sean Hannity that trafficking undocumented migrants across state lines is illegal during a Friday appearance on the conservative news channel.

The Texas Republican's comments came days after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis took credit for flying 50 South American migrants from San Antonio to Martha's Vineyard, allegedly on the false promise that they would receive work after relocating.

"Let's say I went down to the border and I brought a big truck with me, and I picked up a bunch of illegal immigrants, and I started transporting them across the country," Hannity said to Cruz. "Would I or would I not likely be arrested for human trafficking, and would it be illegal to do that for me if I did that?"

Cruz, a Harvard Law school graduate, was clear in that doing so would illegal and that Hannity would likely end up in handcuffs.

"For you, a citizen, you could easily be arrested," Cruz said. "Although, to be honest, Joe Biden's Justice Department wouldn't arrest you."

After the statement, the hard-right senator became visibly uncomfortable, then accused President Joe Biden of being "the biggest human trafficker on the face of the planet." However, Cruz offered little evidence or context to back up that claim.

Democratic politicians including Massachusetts State Rep. Dylan Fernandez have accused DeSantis of human trafficking after he chartered two planes to transport migrants from San Antonio to the wealthy East Coast resort destination.

Fernandez, who represents Martha's Vineyard in the Massachusetts House, last week requested that the Justice Department open an investigation into DeSantis' move. The League of United Latin American Citizens also said it wants to pursue legal action against those who helped lure asylum seekers onto the flights.

Despite widespread criticism and calls for an investigation, DeSantis pledged that more flights are to come, promising to exhaust his Florida's $12 million program to transport migrants out of the state.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Ice has federal legal authority to deal with immigration. 

How? How do they deal with Immigration? Just like DeSantos and Abbott. Except Desantos and Abbott are paying for it themselves?

Difference with no distinction, IMHO. 

• Facepalm 1

Just now, DKW 86 said:

How? How do they deal with Immigration? Just like DeSantos and Abbott. Except Desantos and Abbott are paying for it themselves?

Difference with no distinction, IMHO. 

The distinction to me is that ICE moves migrants with a plan and a purpose, and brings migrants to places that are expecting them. 

Descants and Abbott does it for political points and randomly sends them places with no planning or advance notice just to make media headlines. 

On 9/20/2022 at 3:38 PM, CoffeeTiger said:

The distinction to me is that ICE moves migrants with a plan and a purpose, and brings migrants to places that are expecting them. 

Descants and Abbott does it for political points and randomly sends them places with no planning or advance notice just to make media headlines. 

You mean to places that profess to want them but ran them out after a warm meal to a new home down the road while shouting NIMBY?

Edited by DKW 86
  • Facepalm 2

53 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

They sent them to places that act like they want more immigrants. 

Sounds like a win win to me….

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 4:40 PM, DKW 86 said:

You to places that profess to want them but ran them out after a warm meal to a new home down the road while shouting NIMBY?

And what do you think should have been done with these refugees given the amount of preparation and notice (none)? 

You obviously care more about "owning the libs" than you do these unfortunate souls.  You are one vain SOB.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

And what do you think should have been done with these refugees given the amount of preparation and notice (none)? 

You obviously care more about "owning the libs" than you do these unfortunate souls.  You are one vain SOB.

Wrong as usual. I want a SANE, REASONABLE, Immigration Policy. Anyone want to explain our policy now? Kamala Harris stated basically trump's position, dont come. 

Biden Adm has no policy and the border is not secure at all. The Dems own the HOR, The Senate, and the WH and arent even trying to pass sane legislation on the border because they are afraid of being accused of being racists etc. Do you think we can sustain this on any level? This is from Axios. The only thing we are actually doing is dragging governors from the border states into court to stop them from embarrassing the Democrats with how stupid the policy is now. These people that want to say that they wont turn in illegals, but absolutely do not want them anywhere near them or their kids are hypocrites of the highest order. They could not care less about the people, they just want to look like they give a s*** when they proactively and aggressively do not. In the Axios piece attached, ICE has encounters with 2M+ how many more are getting in without being encountered?  500K? 1M? 1.5M? Who knows? We have zero security at the border and that's a fact that no one in the Biden Adm even wants to admit. And as long as the border states are saddled with having to deal with it, Rich White Coasters could not care less. These are truly cruel people.

U.S. sets record with more than 2 million encounters at Mexico border

https://www.axios.com/2022/09/20/migrants-custody-border-surge

American border officials have had over 2 million encounters with migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border so far this fiscal year — setting a new record after sustained surges in migration, according to the latest Customs and Border Protection data.

Why it matters: The large numbers of migrants at the southern border continues to be a logistical, humanitarian and political challenge for the Biden administration. Republicans have pounced on the issue, with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis recently flying migrants and asylum seekers to Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts.

By the numbers: In 2020, the pandemic slowed traffic at the border. Border officials took migrants into custody roughly 460,000 times that fiscal year. That number jumped to 1.7 million in fiscal year 2021. With one month left in fiscal year 2022, the number has already surpassed 2 million for the first time ever.

• In August, CBP reported more than 200,000 encounters at the U.S. southwest border.
  • 55,333 unique encounters last month were with Venezuelans, Nicaraguans and Cubans. They accounted for more than one-third of the total unique individuals taken into custody by border officials in August — a 175% increase from August 2021.

Driving the news: "Failing communist regimes in Venezuela, Nicaragua and Cuba are driving a new wave of migration across the Western Hemisphere, including the recent increase in encounters at the southwest U.S. border," said CBP commissioner Chris Magnus in a statement.

• The large border numbers over the past two years have been aided by more people attempting to cross the border multiple times after being sent back under a public health policy known as Title 42, which was implemented at the start of the pandemic.

The big picture: The U.S. has seen growing numbers of migrants from more distant countries, including Cuba, Colombia, Haiti and Peru as well as traditional centers of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Mexico, as per Axios' Stef Kight.

• Republican governors have sought to challenge President Biden's immigration policies by transporting migrants and asylum seekers by bus and plane to predominantly Democratic-run cities.

What we're watching: Cabinet heads and White House officials were set to discuss potential "litigation options" as a response.

As far as owning anyone around here, I think I want to "Own the Sierra Foxtrots."

Team Blue: Allowing 2M+ people thru the border is completely unsustainable. Team Blue dont care as long as they look like they give a ****. They could not care less about healthcare, housing, feeding, clothing etc. And as long as it is NIMBY, THEY COULD NOT CARE LESS. 

Team Red: Somehow getting national abortion rights overturned and now committing suicide with Zero Exception Abortion? WTF? No one in America signed up for that. Graham basically proposes what the MS Law was, What Abortion in Europe looks like and Team Red says NO!!!!!! Yall are about to lose an election you thought you had won. 

And on it goes. American pols and parties are stuck on stupid. 

Team Red lead by McConnell: "We dont need a legislative agenda to run on in 2022."
Team Blue lead by Pelosi et al: "We aint trump!"

And thats the sad best we got out of the supposed best minds in the nation.

Edited by DKW 86