Jimmies and Joes > Xs and Os

RunInRed

7 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Chaser: And for those of you who insisted on defending ADAG, he recommended hiring this bozo, largely based on a swimming pool conversation.

Out of likes, but you are spot on!  You’re probably driving a certain Mod nuts, but this is all 100% factually true!

Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Chaser: And for those of you who insisted on defending ADAG, he recommended hiring this bozo, largely based on a swimming pool conversation.

Lol. So this decision he did make

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol. So this decision he did make

If you think AG didn’t have any input into what happened post Malzahn you haven’t been paying attention.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

If you think AG didn’t have any input into what happened post Malzahn you haven’t been paying attention.

Nah I just find it interesting that nothing good was his decision but bad stuff he had all the power in the world. 

But maybe I haven't been paying attention....but if I haven't mostly everybody on this forum haven't been either

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Nah I just find it interesting that nothing good was his decision but bad stuff he had all the power in the world. 

But maybe I haven't been paying attention....but if I haven't mostly everybody on this forum haven't been either

I thought it was widely accepted that Greene bucked the boosters and got his guy that he found from Boise.  The hot tub convo was talked about a lot. We can’t make him a scape goat though, because a bunch of other very powerful people had to agree to it. Let’s not pretend AG had autonomy.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I thought it was widely accepted that Greene bucked the boosters and got his guy that he found from Boise.  The hot tub convo was talked about a lot. We can’t make him a scape goat though, because a bunch of other very powerful people had to agree to it. Let’s not pretend AG had autonomy.

That's my overall point. It's one or the other, can't be both. I couldn't imagine working somewhere that no matter what it's my fault and no matter what's good I had nothing to do with it.....and it seems to keep happening this way at this institution and everybody is fine with it.

That's what some should pay attention to and ask questions about and be pissed off at.....imo

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

I don't see the big deal, I mean I found my wife the same way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's my overall point. It's one or the other, can't be both. I couldn't imagine working somewhere that no matter what it's my fault and no matter what's good I had nothing to do with it.....and it seems to keep happening this way at this institution and everybody is fine with it.

That's what some should pay attention to and ask questions about and be pissed off at.....imo

Ok, I'll play ... what did ADAG do that we haven't given him 'credit' for?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

Ok, I'll play ... what did ADAG do that we haven't given him 'credit' for?

I didn't ask to play anything. And whose we? 

Isn't this your forum? Pretty much anything positive came with an asterisk saying he didn't actually make that decision or whatever, it was because of the other guy, or somebody before him or after him.

But big decisions such as this it was all his call. If someone said he gets credit for Pearl for instance......not him. But a huge decision such as the budget for traveling back and forth, well that's all him since it was a budget cut. There's nobody checking him when it comes to shortening up money

As the AD, he managed to an approved Atheltics budget ... so yeah, the travel nonsense was him.  As for Pearl's contract/extension and any 'net new' dollars, he didn't approve that anymore than he arranged Harsin's contract.  Gogue told AG to work with the committee and bring him a recommendation ... he brought him Harsin.  The rest is history.  I'm not sure why this is so complicated.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So much this. 

Big time college football is about recruits way more than it is about individual coaching talent. 

Places like Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, and Clemson aren't winning championships because their coaches are just better game planners and in game strategist than everyone else they play...it's because they get the best of the best recruits and then coach and develop all that raw talent into playmakers. 

There's a lot of parity in the middle and lower half of college football where most 3 star and lower players aren't really all that different from each other, but there is a pretty wide gap between the nations elite programs and all the other 110+ FBS college football teams in the nation, and that's because the top recruits are the ones who lead teams to consistent seasons and championships. 

I hope our decision makers do a much better job of vetting our next coach and really getting into how they plan to recruit, their philosophy on recruiting, and specifically how they plan to get top talent to Auburn. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

So much this. 

Big time college football is about recruits way more than it is about individual coaching talent. 

Places like Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, and Clemson aren't winning championships because their coaches are just better game planners and in game strategist than everyone else they play...it's because they get the best of the best recruits and then coach and develop all that raw talent into playmakers. 

There's a lot of parity in the middle and lower half of college football where most 3 star and lower players aren't really all that different from each other, but there is a pretty wide gap between the nations elite programs and all the other 110+ FBS college football teams in the nation, and that's because the top recruits are the ones who lead teams to consistent seasons and championships. 

I hope our decision makers do a much better job of vetting our next coach and really getting into how they plan to recruit, their philosophy on recruiting, and specifically how they plan to get top talent to Auburn. 

Kirby Smart hit the nail on the head last year after the Florida game when he said there isn't a coach out there who can out-coach recruiting.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, fishepa said:

I don't see the big deal, I mean I found my wife the same way.

Did it last longer than 2 years? If so, you are on the short list for AD…..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

As the AD, he managed to an approved Atheltics budget ... so yeah, the travel nonsense was him.  As for Pearl's contract/extension and any 'net new' dollars, he didn't approve that anymore than he arranged Harsin's contract.  Gogue told AG to work with the committee and bring him a recommendation ... he brought him Harsin.  The rest is history.  I'm not sure why this is so complicated.

So the committee also agreed with the recommendation? So why aren't you as upset with them as you are with AG. Why is that so complicated to understand? You are literally saying a pool conversation is why CBH got the job. That is just stupid man. If you believe this to be true, then you should be questioning how did AG convince all of these Auburn people that CBH is the one based solely off a pool conversation.  And you want us to put our faith in these same people now? AG essentially got fired. All of these other people are still around Auburn. Two of these people , y'all hem and haw to be the next AD.

Members of the advisory group include:

Allen Greene; Director of Athletics

Lieutenant General Ron Burgess; Executive Vice President, Auburn University

Dr. Beverly Marshall, Auburn Faculty Athletic Representative

Tim Jackson; Executive Associate AD, Auburn Athletics

Bo Jackson; Auburn Football Letterman, 1985 Heisman Trophy Winner

Quentin Riggins; Auburn Football Letterman, Auburn Board of Trustee

Randy Campbell; Auburn Football Letterman

Michelle McKenna; Chief Information Officer, National Football League

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Lol. Exactly. I'm sure to you it's not complicated at all

4 hours ago, RunInRed said:

I've always thought Marshall was a bit of an aging clown but he sums it up nicely here ... this, more than anything is why Harsin was never going to work at Auburn.  His way ... turns out, is not better than the 'bunch of potatoes' at Auburn who don't know anything.  It was all so obvious a year ago. It's inevitable now.

It was something of an experiment to begin with, hiring the Boise State coach. It was Jay Gogue’s and Allen Greene’s experiment, and they are gone. It hasn’t worked. The results on the field started downhill the second half of last season and are still going downhill at increasing speed. He has taken a different approach to recruiting than any SEC program of which I am aware, and it hasn’t worked. He hired coordinators with SEC experience and then went back to his comfort zone after one season.

Against Penn State, Auburn gave up five rushing touchdowns, a sobering fact that flies in the face of Harsin’s talk of toughness. It has nine turnovers in three games and has not forced even one. The team we saw against Penn State looked a lot like the one that struggled against San Jose State.

To be successful, the coach at Auburn needs to be – must be – as relentless on the recruiting trail as the rivals to the east and to the west. Every word Kirby Smart or Nick Saban utter is with recruiting in mind. Saban doesn’t need the money he gets for doing TV commercials, but he does it for recruiting. You can’t watch a football game without seeing Saban.

A successful coach must be able to surround himself with coaches who are also relentless recruiters and can teach the game. He needs to sell his vision to those who support the program. The one absolute in SEC football is you cannot win without difference-makers. You just can’t. You might find a way to win a game here and there, but players are who win championships. Auburn has some of those, but not nearly enough. And don’t be deceived: Difference-makers are recruited far more often than they are developed.

The Harsin watch will overwhelm everything else surrounding Auburn football until something concrete happens. That is too bad for the young men who give so much to put on those blue jerseys. But it’s reality.

LINK (Non-Premium Content)

Certainly not hard to find that!! Recruiting to match Bammer/UGA , and they must also be great on field coaches plus be able to bring along a lower rated player (teach the game). All that without the notoriety that Saban/Smart went to their prospective places. Gotcha, waiting on who fits that description.

• Thanks 1

What are the top reasons a player picks a school?

1. Early Playing Time
  2. Personal Development for the Pros
  3. Championship Contender
  4. Head Coach or Position Coach
  5. Geographic Location/Facilities

Right now today Auburn only can truly offer #1 as a highlight of why to pick Auburn.  

I personally feel like 1, 2 and 3 are what kids have to be sold to come on board if they have lots of options.  So for #2 to happen there has to be a high talent ceiling and the right scheme and coaches to develop.  #3 is going to be more important to your true Alpha Dogs.  The ones that are not afraid to compete for their position.  But they are generally the best of the best and have the right kind of attitude for leadership and success.  Does one of those even exist on the team today??   We have some very talented players but who is also an Alpha leader and guys want to follow them?

6 hours ago, RunInRed said:

What about Lt. General Burgess and board member Quentin Riggins? How come they don't get blame? I remember Harsin saying those two gentlemen and ADAG interviewed him via zoom. It was not just ADAG.

Riggins apparently asked Harsin the questions about his football philosophy since ADAG is not a huge football guy. My point here is that I don't think this was solely ADAG. He had some powerful men alongside him. He just took the fall. 

It's important we acknowledge this because many in here will blame ADAG but then call for Burgess and Riggins to clean this up. In reality all three men did this together and got us here.

Edited by au302
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

So much this. 

Clemson is an interesting outlier. 

Not saying they haven't had a couple of very highly ranked classes, but if you go back and look, they have had their biggest successes with pretty pedestrian recruiting classes.

(They also had them when the ACC was probably at their weakest point in who knows how long.)

But if you look at the four years prior to their first playoff appearance and go forward through last year their recruiting classes are as follows: 

10th, 20th, 15th, 16th, 9th, 11th, 16th, 7th, 10th, 3rd, and 5th.

For comparison's sake, Auburn's recruiting classes over the same time period were:

5th, 11th, 10th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 9th, 12th, 11th, 7th, and 19th.

So for seven of those years Auburn out-recruited Clemson, and in an eighth year we were only one spot lower.

Edited by Shoney'sPonyBoy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DAG said:

So the committee also agreed with the recommendation? So why aren't you as upset with them as you are with AG. Why is that so complicated to understand? You are literally saying a pool conversation is why CBH got the job. That is just stupid man. If you believe this to be true, then you should be questioning how did AG convince all of these Auburn people that CBH is the one based solely off a pool conversation.  And you want us to put our faith in these same people now? AG essentially got fired. All of these other people are still around Auburn. Two of these people , y'all hem and haw to be the next AD.

Members of the advisory group include:

Allen Greene; Director of Athletics

Lieutenant General Ron Burgess; Executive Vice President, Auburn University

Dr. Beverly Marshall, Auburn Faculty Athletic Representative

Tim Jackson; Executive Associate AD, Auburn Athletics

Bo Jackson; Auburn Football Letterman, 1985 Heisman Trophy Winner

Quentin Riggins; Auburn Football Letterman, Auburn Board of Trustee

Randy Campbell; Auburn Football Letterman

Michelle McKenna; Chief Information Officer, National Football League

tenor (1).gif

• Like 3

19 hours ago, cole256 said:

Cole, the night it was announced that Allen Greene was the new AD, the phones were ringing in my inner circle, and it was across the board that he would be looked at as the next Barack Obama. Now the pitch forks are out to tear him down and strip and replaced everything he has done, it's what they do, Auburn is foul and nothing good will come from it. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Angry 1
  • Dislike 2