Jimmies and Joes > Xs and Os

RunInRed

15 hours ago, DAG said:

So the committee also agreed with the recommendation? So why aren't you as upset with them as you are with AG. Why is that so complicated to understand? You are literally saying a pool conversation is why CBH got the job. That is just stupid man. If you believe this to be true, then you should be questioning how did AG convince all of these Auburn people that CBH is the one based solely off a pool conversation.  And you want us to put our faith in these same people now? AG essentially got fired. All of these other people are still around Auburn. Two of these people , y'all hem and haw to be the next AD.

Members of the advisory group include:

Allen Greene; Director of Athletics

Lieutenant General Ron Burgess; Executive Vice President, Auburn University

Dr. Beverly Marshall, Auburn Faculty Athletic Representative

Tim Jackson; Executive Associate AD, Auburn Athletics

Bo Jackson; Auburn Football Letterman, 1985 Heisman Trophy Winner

Quentin Riggins; Auburn Football Letterman, Auburn Board of Trustee

Randy Campbell; Auburn Football Letterman

Michelle McKenna; Chief Information Officer, National Football League

Well, there were only a handful directly involved but by and large, I'm not defending any one on that committee.  Honestly, the General might be the only serious one on the list.  No beef on Bo and Quentin, yes, they know football - but I'm not sure their track-record on picking coaches has been exactly great.  Remember, at least Bo was on the committee that selected Malzahn as well.  

But more broadly, I'm still waiting to hear about all these great things ADAG did during his tenure at Auburn.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Chaser: And for those of you who insisted on defending ADAG, he recommended hiring this bozo, largely based on a swimming pool conversation.

To be fair, I heard Harsin was in a banana hammock.  Who can say no to a man in a banana hammock. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Auburn is foul and nothing good will come from it. 

Relax dude.  This is just a dumb thing to say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

Clemson is an interesting outlier. 

Not saying they haven't had a couple of very highly ranked classes, but if you go back and look, they have had their biggest successes with pretty pedestrian recruiting classes.

(They also had them when the ACC was probably at their weakest point in who knows how long.)

But if you look at the four years prior to their first playoff appearance and go forward through last year their recruiting classes are as follows: 

10th, 20th, 15th, 16th, 9th, 11th, 16th, 7th, 10th, 3rd, and 5th.

For comparison's sake, Auburn's recruiting classes over the same time period were:

5th, 11th, 10th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 9th, 12th, 11th, 7th, and 19th.

So for seven of those years Auburn out-recruited Clemson, and in an eighth year we were only one spot lower.

I'll throw in a little caveat here: The recruiting service rankings record two things, numbers of recruits and the average star power of recruits. Clemson has had a unique approach in that annually they signed well below the permitted numbers but did have some outstanding prospects in those fewer players.

Clemson had the star power and difference makers. Their recruiting rankings are lower than one might expect because of low total numbers.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Well, there were only a handful directly involved but by and large, I'm not defending any one on that committee.  Honestly, the General might be the only serious one on the list.  No beef on Bo and Quentin, yes, they know football - but I'm not sure their track-record on picking coaches has been exactly great.  Remember, at least Bo was on the committee that selected Malzahn as well.  

But more broadly, I'm still waiting to hear about all these great things ADAG did during his tenure at Auburn.

Thanks for the objective response

3 hours ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

Not saying they haven't had a couple of very highly ranked classes, but if you go back and look, they have had their biggest successes with pretty pedestrian recruiting classes.

(They also had them when the ACC was probably at their weakest point in who knows how long.)

But if you look at the four years prior to their first playoff appearance and go forward through last year their recruiting classes are as follows: 

For comparison's sake, Auburn's recruiting classes over the same time period were:

So for seven of those years Auburn out-recruited Clemson, and in an eighth year we were only one spot lower.

Clemson also had the benefit - like you said - of playing in the ACC.  If they played in the SEC I don't think they even get a chance to compete for the championship.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

Thanks for the objective response

The problem with AU right now is we have bad leadership from top to bottow. Pearl excluded. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, AUwartigerAU said:

The problem with AU right now is we have bad leadership from top to bottow. Pearl excluded. 

Hard to argue against that ... Roberts has an opportunity to change things, at least to some degree ... we'll see.  Leath was a disaster.  Gogue, who did some good things, also did some not so great things - particularly, in his lame duck/fill-in tenure.  A decade of Jay's leadership in Athletics was poor.  AG ... I've beat that horse long enough.  Our Board is trash.  Boosters are who they are ... most AU folks I've met mean well and want what's best ... we just have to get some solid competent leadership.  It's not been good for a while.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'll throw in a little caveat here: The recruiting service rankings record two things, numbers of recruits and the average star power of recruits. Clemson has had a unique approach in that annually they signed well below the permitted numbers but did have some outstanding prospects in those fewer players.

Clemson had the star power and difference makers. Their recruiting rankings are lower than one might expect because of low total numbers.

they have also paid a price in the last few years undersigning those classes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

Hard to argue against that ... Roberts has an opportunity to change things, at least to some degree ... we'll see.  Leath was a disaster.  Gogue, who did some good things, also did some not so great things - particularly, in his lame duck/fill-in tenure.  A decade of Jay's leadership in Athletics was poor.  AG ... I've beat that horse long enough.  Our Board is trash.  Boosters are who they are ... most AU folks I've met mean well and want what's best ... we just have to get some solid competent leadership.  It's not been good for a while.

The strucure and the leadership define the possibilities.  Just sayin...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Out of likes, but you are spot on!  You’re probably driving a certain Mod nuts, but this is all 100% factually true!

Thanks for posting!

Damn, I really did a number on you.  Small and petty is a terrible way to be known by.  Sadly, everyone here knows you as that and only that. 

Amazing you only show up here when there is turmoil surrounding Auburn.  February...You spam the hell out of the board. 6 months later, in September, we hit some adversity and low and behold look who again is all over every thread posting his disdain.  Telling and sad.

CBH may not be the right coach we need, but you are 100% the wrong kind of fan that we don't

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Our Board is trash. 

This has been the common denominator through the years going back to my time as a student. A strong, competent, and professional AD hopefully can be brought in to change this dynamic. Maybe Barnhart is that guy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

I think the difference lies in how they recruited well across all position groups.  They were strategically filling needs.

Meanwhile, we let arguably the most important foundational position group become depleted. 

We had the momentum to become one of the elite programs.  For whatever reason,,, we did not take advantage. 

I will never understand why Gus believed he did not need exceptional offensive linemen in this league, with his system.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, AUwartigerAU said:

I would agree. It is not one sole entity 

3 hours ago, autiger88 said:

tenor (1).gif

I just don’t understand why there isn’t fair and balance critique . There is one particularly fan who has had a personal vendetta on AG from the start while giving props to a couple of the people on that list. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

I will absolutely bang on Bo for being on a coaching search committee.  He has openly admitted that he doesn't watch football anymore.  Why on Earth would you have someone choosing a HC for the program that doesn't keep up with the sport?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AUwartigerAU said:

Please also exclude Butch Thompson

• Like 4

Our best way forward is for Roberts to keep that football GM position he created with Drew Fabianich and let Fabs fill the AD's role in hiring the next coach. He's the most qualified person we've had in a while to vet candidates, imo

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I think the difference lies in how they recruited well across all position groups.  They were strategically filling needs.

Meanwhile, we let arguably the most important foundational position group become depleted. 

We had the momentum to become one of the elite programs.  For whatever reason,,, we did not take advantage. 

I will never understand why Gus believed he did not need exceptional offensive linemen in this league, with his system.

Precisely!

A top ten class is great, but when it's rated based off of receivers, TEs, and DBs then your roster will quickly sour.  That's exactly what happened.

2016: 9th and we signed one OG(Hamm) and converted two DT(Sammons and Manning) the last DNF

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/season/2016-football/commits/

2017: 10th and we signed 3. Ashley, Trox, Brahms, and converted Jackson from DT. (Ashley and Brahms DNF)

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2017-Football/Commits/

2018: 12th and we signed 2 guards, Irvin and Stutts.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2018-Football/Commits/

2019: 13th and we signed 2 guards Jones  Bell, and Osborne (Osborne and Bell DNF) 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

2020: 8th and we signed 5. Zierer, Jernigan, coffee, johnson, and Wright 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

2021: 18th and we signed 2. One OT and One swing OT/G in Smith and Langlo 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

2022: 21st and we signed 1 OT in Eston Harris. 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2022-Football/Commits/

We haven't had or tried to build any depth across the OL for years. This isn't a new thing.  It is funny though hearing some bolster Gus' recruiting classes and then in the same breath admonish CBH for his poor OL recruiting. Like it's the exact same and it was defended for years.  What changed?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I will absolutely bang on Bo for being on a coaching search committee.  He has openly admitted that he doesn't watch football anymore.  Why on Earth would you have someone choosing a HC for the program that doesn't keep up with the sport?

Because they think we're dumb.  They can trot out some celebrities to back up the pre-selected candidate coupled with media propaganda (hello PM) and we'll jump in line to support.  This is how our country works now, not just AU.  You know Bo is not actually making the choice, right?  Just window dressing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AUDevil said:

Because they think we're dumb.  They can trot out some celebrities to back up the pre-selected candidate coupled with media propaganda (hello PM) and we'll jump in line to support.  This is how our country works now, not just AU.  You know Bo is not actually making the choice, right?  Just window dressing.

And another thing...we're over here arguing about ADAG and whose fault this mess is.  IMO, and I'm going to climb waaaay out on a limb here, the PTB (the same people that organize these dog and pony shows) got pissed at the push back they received upon firing Gus and suggesting Steele (you don't fire a coach that at least 1/3 of the fan base still likes and then let it leak that you intend to bring on a previously failed HC) that they threw there hands up and said, "Fine, you guys do it your way."  They gave ADAG, who was totally out of his league in this toxic environment, enough rope to hang himself.  PTB: Yes, go get your guy that we know is going to fail because we want to teach everyone a lesson that we know what's best, and next time you need to leave us alone to make the hire we want to make.  They knew the dude coudn't recruit down here and wasn't good at working with people...all it took was a little common sense and some investigative homework.  They wanted it to fail to get their power back and say "I told you so".

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RunInRed said:

And don’t be deceived: Difference-makers are recruited far more often than they are developed.

I couldn't agree more.  You've got to be able to identify and of course actually sign difference makers, not just offer them.

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It is funny though hearing some bolster Gus' recruiting classes and then in the same breath admonish CBH for his poor OL recruiting. Like it's the exact same and it was defended for years.  What changed?

I'm not sure that is really what is happening. 

I think almost everyone recognized we were no longer competitive on the OL and,,, it wasn't getting any better.  Consequently Gus lost his support.

I think almost everyone recognizes that Harsin has done almost nothing to address the "lack of elephants in the room.  It has cost him his support,,, along with his Gus like arrogance and stubborness.

I don't see anyone really supporting Gus, or being Harsin haters.  I see people who realize that if you were going to bring in someone who was unwilling or, incapable of correcting the obvious problem, you might as well have stayed with Gus and saved yourself the buyout and,,, the associated grief.

Regardless, we are at a critical point.  Our next move determines our fate, probably for at least a decade.  We have to get some great recruiters back on the staff.  We need coaches who fit the model of college football now, not 25 years ago.  The power in college football is held by only a few teams.  The difference is their ability to recruit.

We need someone who knows how to work with people, knows how to be a team player.  We do not need another stubborn, unyielding personality that believes he alone can run the entire show.  With NIL, transfer portal, conference realignments, this is a big, big business.  It is too big for one person to attempt to coordinate and dictate every aspect of running that business.

Right here, right now, more than a great coach, we need a business plan.  We need a strategic plan as to how we are going to put ourselves back in the position to compete at the elite level.  Arguing Harsin or Gus is inane.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

And another thing...we're over here arguing about ADAG and whose fault this mess is.  IMO, and I'm going to climb waaaay out on a limb here, the PTB (the same people that organize these dog and pony shows) got pissed at the push back they received upon firing Gus and suggesting Steele (you don't fire a coach that at least 1/3 of the fan base still likes and then let it leak that you intend to bring on a previously failed HC) that they threw there hands up and said, "Fine, you guys do it your way."  They gave ADAG, who was totally out of his league in this toxic environment, enough rope to hang himself.  PTB: Yes, go get your guy that we know is going to fail because we want to teach everyone a lesson that we know what's best, and next time you need to leave us alone to make the hire we want to make.  They knew the dude coudn't recruit down here and wasn't good at working with people...all it took was a little common sense and some investigative homework.  They wanted it to fail to get their power back and say "I told you so".

Not being privy to any inside information but,,, looking at what is known,,, I think you are right on target.

However, I think the PTB was correct also.  College football is changing rapidly, there weren't many "homerun" hires out there.  We were going to be hamstrung by the buyout.  Steele as a "placeholder" and, retaining most of the staff (continuity) while we conducted a patient coaching search, wasn't a bad idea.  Eliminating Gus and bringing in an excellent OC and, an excellent OL recruiter could have smoothed the transition until the right fit at HC was there.