How important is Personal Integrity for the next hire?

AUgrad97

Hugh Freeze gives the impression of slimy to me.  Like a televangelist or something.  And I thought that BEFORE he was busted.  I had an initial bad feeling of Harsin.  He didn’t feel genuine to me. Kiffin? meh. I could forgive immaturity, but he needs to stay at Ole Miss a while longer to prove that he can be loyal. He’s been severely lacking in that department. I don’t know who I want, but I do want some kind of connection to Auburn, so they already know what they are getting into and STILL want the job.  I don’t want another coach who comes in thinking he’s better than everyone. 

I guess I’m saying that integrity is very important to me.  Moral integrity, loyalty, genuineness and honesty.  

Edited by 3rdgeneration
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Well, it's agreed. The characteristics most Auburn fans most-want in a head football coach can only be filled by "Bo" the emotional support dog (pictured below).

dog_old_auburn.jpg

5 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

It's pretty simple, really.   We need a coach with  a) the recruiting/NIL/PR talent of Deion, b) the Xs and Os of Venables/Aranda/Meyer,  the work ethic/corporate management skills of Saban, and c) the morality/integrity of Gus.

Shouldn't be that hard.

:big:

image.gif

Given the financial pipeline of the NIL age, shouldn't be an issue. We need an NIL advisor and a good recruiter, attractor - like D Sanders.

59 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Hugh Freeze gives the impression of slimy to me.  Like a televangelist or something.  And I thought that BEFORE he was busted.  I had an initial bad feeling of Harsin.  He didn’t feel genuine to me. Kiffin? meh. I could forgive immaturity, but he needs to stay at Ole Miss a while longer to prove that he can be loyal. He’s been severely lacking in that department. I don’t know who I want, but I do want some kind of connection to Auburn, so they already know what they are getting into and STILL want the job.  I don’t want another coach who comes in thinking he’s better than everyone. 

I guess I’m saying that integrity is very important to me.  Moral integrity, loyalty, genuineness and honesty.  

I want someone that can field a competitive team.  Tubs always had a slimy demeanor too, but he could damn sure put a defense on the field

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

The one u describe is one Arthur Gustav Malzahn III

• Like 1

I was talking to my buddy Joey Freshwater the other day, and he said he thought integrity was actually a bit of a liability for a head coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Stacey Searels, Dell McGee. One or the other would surely bring the other with them. Either way, we would have a very good O Line coach. And at one time Searels was run game coordinator for the leghumpers for a few years.

Edited by cctiger

18 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

How was Freeze as a recruiter?I know he got his hand caught in the cookie jar . But overall who is a better recruiter.. Kiffin or Freeze

hard to know, isn't it? he had a couple of top ten classes at ole miss, but was that due to money and prostitutes or because he was actually good at recruiting? and i got lit up for saying it but gus had 5 or 6 top ten classes, fwiw.

either way, ive never heard him said to be any thing close to saban or smart as a recruiter. and to be fair ive not heard that about kiffin either.

5 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

hard to know, isn't it? he had a couple of top ten classes at ole miss, but was that due to money and prostitutes or because he was actually good at recruiting? and i got lit up for saying it but gus had 5 or 6 top ten classes, fwiw.

either way, ive never heard him said to be any thing close to saban or smart as a recruiter. and to be fair ive not heard that about kiffin either.

That’s the question, though, isn’t it? What is it that Saban and Smart do that gets them all the top recruits? Why aren’t we doing that same stuff? It’s baffling to me. 

2 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

That’s the question, though, isn’t it? What is it that Saban and Smart do that gets them all the top recruits? Why aren’t we doing that same stuff? It’s baffling to me. 

The same stuff freeze was doing, they are just better at hiding it.  Texas spent close to a million dollars in hosting the Mannings. Do people really think guys signed to NS solely because his dance moves? Winning solidifies it and makes it easier for him of course. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The one u describe is one Arthur Gustav Malzahn III

Guess that’s why I liked him.  But he couldn’t get it done consistently.  BUT, just because you have good character,  doesn’t mean that you can’t be a good coach.  At least, I hope not.  There’s gotta be a good coach out there who is a halfway decent guy, doesn’t there? Or at least not a creep?

2 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

yeah, look, im not naive enough to think its not possible saban and smart aren't doing the same things freeze got in trouble for, but the difference is they are smart enought not to get caught.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

The same stuff freeze was doing, they are just better at hiding it.  Texas spent close to a million dollars in hosting the Mannings. Do people really think guys signed to NS solely because his dance moves? Winning solidifies it and makes it easier for him of course. 

if that is the case (and it may very well be) then quite literally almost EVERYONE is better at hiding it than freeze was.

4 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

yeah, look, im not naive enough to think its not possible saban and smart aren't doing the same things freeze got in trouble for, but the difference is they are smart enought not to get caught.

Oh I’m just pointing out that they hoard all the five stars, and we need to do what they do to get some of those five stars over here.

1 minute ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Oh I’m just pointing out that they hoard all the five stars, and we need to do what they do to get some of those five stars over here.

They have created the blue print. It will be hard to do. But of course we got fans posting about integrity. To do with that they do, you can be begging for integrity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

They have created the blue print. It will be hard to do. But of course we got fans posting about integrity. To do with that they do, you can be begging for integrity.

I’m sure we can find some “NIL” deals for folks. 😂

• Like 1

Personally, I want someone who comes from and can really recruit the South, can recruit both sides of the LOS, can pull all the vested interests at AU together to follow his vision, knows how to operate in the era of the NIL/ transfer rules and is a winning P5 coach. As far as the integrity question, yes we don't want a bum but the word integrity is a relative term and takes on different meanings. In the first place, people do learn lessons in life so there is that.Then there is this.

Does a person who learned a lesson have less integrity than a person who has been cheating at recruiting for 15 years but was untouchable ? So now, players are openly being paid which puts us in a pro-league and it's a cutthroat business. Finally, if our coach is going to be held to a very high integrity standard then everyone should including some of the boosters and administrators in and around our program. Perspective is important. 

Edited by IronMan70

Auburn is viewed as damaged goods with excessive politics, and unrealistic fans. We’re not going to get a perfect candidate that our diverse fan base  (the win at all costs vs character-first groups) all love.  

IMO BP should be our model. A big personality, proven coach and recruiter, who was on the outs, and was eager for atonement  Not a sociopath, someone who screwed up. We’ll be compared to Louisville and mocked for awhile. But if done properly, like Pearl, it can work out.

11 hours ago, au302 said:

Freeze is the only guy that I've seen fans say "I'll burn my AU gear" or "I'll give up my tickets" if we hire him. People would puke with guys like Muschamp, but we'd talk ourselves into it.

Hugh's problem is that he doesn't own the bad boy role. Lane does and embraces it and uses it to his advantage. Hugh tries to cover it by acting high and mighty and Reverend Hugh. Then looks like a hypocrite and fake, the two things most people can't stand

Nah, that's quite Southern Baptist.

He will fit right in down there.

12 hours ago, ToomersRevenge said:

Can we stop with the Bible quotes as a way to just excuse ourselves for making a low integrity hire to win football games? Freezer is right where he belongs at an institution like liberty.

i would love to see what freeze could do with our qb's. he sure helped malik get a good payday. if he has turned the page on his past i cannot imagine what he would or could do with better talent and assistant coaches. we might get him cheap as well. that being said i would like to know all that are interested before i make my choice.

2 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

I’m a little surprised Dameyune Craig’s named hasn’t been mentioned. Is that bridge fully burned?? 

I appears so.  You don't hear his name amongst the top recruiters as much anymore also.  247 has him ranked at 25, but there's 4 other aTm coaches ahead of him.

• Like 1