How important is Personal Integrity for the next hire?

AUgrad97

Again, we're not talking inviting a recruit to a BBQ he wasn't allowed to be at.

Freeze has a substantial history of... improper relations with people of the opposite sex. Winning is cool until you start talking vacated seasons and firings "with cause".

20 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Again, we're not talking inviting a recruit to a BBQ he wasn't allowed to be at.

Freeze has a substantial history of... improper relations with people of the opposite sex. Winning is cool until you start talking vacated seasons and firings "with cause".

Games weren’t taken away due to his poor choices. They were recruiting misbehaving in several instances. NCAA doesn’t care about moral choices.

also to set the record straight, BP got dinged bc he requested recruits lie about the bbq which he also lied about.

Edited by Hank2020

Character is essential. Freeze is absolutely unacceptable to me. Beyond the pale like Petrino was. I'd wanna know more about Kiffin, but right at this moment it's not obvious to me how Auburn is an upgrade from his current position. Ole Miss has almost as many toys to play with as we do, they have better players, and their fans and administration are grateful.

Like always but even more so now, your best shots are rising stars who are working at a lower level or even as assistants. Anybody an average fan knows much about is not a serious candidate for this job. But I'd sure be calling Kansas and maybe Coastal Carolina, App State, or UTSA. I'd want to know if Deion wants to move up and what his plan would be. Even with those jobs, it would be hard for anyone who doesn't already know how to recruit the SEC to do well here.

15 hours ago, LPTiger said:

This isn't hard.  Consult the world's best selling Book.   Matthew 6:14- if you can't forgive trespasses, the Lord will not forgive yours'.

Oh, please not this. By the way, I'm a Bible professor at a theological seminary. There's forgiveness, and there's assigning someone to a position of responsibility. Those are two very different things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I do worry with the Deion option (if he even is one) in that he’s so fresh into coaching that he hasn’t had an opportunity to screw up yet. No real “character”track record.

Regarding character. Freeze is deeply flawed, Kiffen is a mercenary and could leave in 2 years (if he even succeeds), and Meyer is both.  As said before, Deion is the biggest risk/reward option,  placing somewhere between splashy provocative and reckless.

It’s a tough one. Those quoting the Bible - good, because any pick we do is going to require a lot of prayer.

• Like 1

I like Dell or Deion as the HFC. Deion Sanders is a HFC now and Dell McGee was a successful high school coach, and has been an assistant for a while. Both  are proven recruiters, something AU desperately needs right now. I am not sure if either can muster a calm enough demeanor to withstand the flak that an AU HFC is going to receive, especially with the rebuilding job that lies ahead. Assuming that they could unite all the factions  within AU, then as far as X's and O's, they both played the game at a high level, and they will have coordinators that would be responsible for that anyway. There would be some critical in game calls that a HC has to make, and there are many other responsibilities that a HFC has to own, but nobody knows how that will play out until it plays out.

At the end of the day, we have to get someone fearless enough to not be intimated by Saban and Smart, and someone able to successfully recruit for the SEC West. That might just mean, someone with an edge, and someone with something to prove. I think these two possible candidates fit.

2 hours ago, ToomersRevenge said:

When people show you who they are, believe them.

BP 2nd chance has worked out well for us, find another fit like that (once we decide to move on from this one) and it could very well work out.

1 hour ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Oh, please not this. By the way, I'm a Bible professor at a theological seminary. There's forgiveness, and there's assigning someone to a position of responsibility. Those are two very different things.

I agree with your premise Prof, just don’t see HC at AU any different than his role now at Liberty, as far as impacts to the people he is responsible for/to. We are asking him to win games, not lead our Church. 

12 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

I like Dell or Deion as the HFC. Deion Sanders is a HFC now and Dell McGee was a successful high school coach, and has been an assistant for a while. Both  are proven recruiters, something AU desperately needs right now. I am not sure if either can muster a calm enough demeanor to withstand the flak that an AU HFC is going to receive, especially with the rebuilding job that lies ahead. Assuming that they could unite all the factions  within AU, then as far as X's and O's, they both played the game at a high level, and they will have coordinators that would be responsible for that anyway. There would be some critical in game calls that a HC has to make, and there are many other responsibilities that a HFC has to own, but nobody knows how that will play out until it plays out.

At the end of the day, we have to get someone fearless enough to not be intimated by Saban and Smart, and someone able to successfully recruit for the SEC West. That might just mean, someone with an edge, and someone with something to prove. I think these two possible candidates fit.

With both of these candidates it would greatly depend on who they bring with them. We have incessantly drove the point home that Harsin had no idea what recruiting is like in SEC and if true DS doesn’t either.

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

BP 2nd chance has worked out well for us, find another fit like that (once we decide to move on from this one) and it could very well work out.

Bruce Pearl was guilty of a minor recruiting violation. What freeze did was not JUST that. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I agree with your premise Prof, just don’t see HC at AU any different than his role now at Liberty, as far as impacts to the people he is responsible for/to. We are asking him to win games, not lead our Church. 

We're asking him not to break our program. We're paying millions and millions of dollars. And other people can coach. There's no "church" to this for me.

I'll add one thought. As many of us who wouldn't trust him with the job, there are a lot of recruits and their parents who would see things the same way, with lots of help from competing coaches.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ToomersRevenge said:

Bruce Pearl was guilty of a minor recruiting violation. What freeze did was not JUST that. 

Understand the difference. The recruiting violation was the bbq, the “for cause” stipulation was for lying and then asking others to do the same. The “for cause “ stipulation never comes as the result of minor  recruiting violations.

but don’t misunderstand my post, I agreed with the hiring of BP. I would prefer Kiffin instead if Freeze as he brings baggage but not of the sort that Freeze brings.  The BP hire allowed us to get great recruiting, great coaching, and great leadership for (at the time) a reduced price. If we could find that for FB, would be great. It’s always hard to determine true “change if heart” in these situations. It is always determined by looking back.

Edited by Hank2020

8 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

We're asking him not to break our program. We're paying millions and millions of dollars. And other people can coach. There's no "church" to this for me.

I'll add one thought. As many of us who wouldn't trust him with the job, there are a lot of recruits and their parents who would see things the same way, with lots of help from competing coaches.

I don’t disagree with that premise. I assumed the prof was bringing up his Church connection to add weight to the morality argument of being against him “leading young men”. I certainly see your thoughts of the possible impacts to recruiting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I don’t disagree with that premise. I assumed the prof was bringing up his Church connection to add weight to the morality argument of being against him “leading young men”. I certainly see your thoughts of the possible impacts to recruiting.

Appreciated. I was more troubled by the thought that a Bible verse would solve Auburn's coaching question.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Understand the difference. The recruiting violation was the bbq, the “for cause” stipulation was for lying and then asking others to do the same. The “for cause “ stipulation never comes as the result of minor  recruiting violations.

but don’t misunderstand my post, I agreed with the hiring of BP. I would prefer Kiffin instead if Freeze as he brings baggage but not of the sort that Freeze brings.  The BP hire allowed us to get great recruiting, great coaching, and great leadership for (at the time) a reduced price. If we could find that for FB, would be great. It’s always hard to determine true “change if heart” in these situations. It is always determined by looking back.

I take Hugh Freeze's actions in context as a whole. While I think clearly integrity of the game and the person are paramount, I'm not naive. I know that Saban or Smart or a plethora of other coaches in football or basketball or baseball all push or bend the rules. Part of the unspoken agreement is...you can't get caught. He got caught. Take your punishment. If it was JUST the recruiting situation then I'd be hesitant but on board. 

But he was also caught in a scandal involving a likely extramarital affair. Okay, but that's his personal life. Sure. But it speaks to his character. If he's willing to break that vow then clearly idk what he actually holds dear.

Then from the news of his more recent interdiction with the sexual assault litigant for the former Liberty QB. Why? Why say anything at all? You don't have to make a statement that will put you potentially on the wrong side of a heinous crime. Some will see him as "standing up for his former player", blah blah blah. There's time to stand up and there's time to know when to maybe just shut your mouth. He clearly doesn't understand either.

So no, I don't support him and won't support him as the next head coach of the Auburn Tigers. But my vote means nothing so I come on here and tell you guys. And when we likely hire him I will peacefully dip out and leave you to it. My opinions are my own and I'm not judging anyone who can see past them. It's just not for me. 

• Like 2

The other variable will be the adding of Texas (more so than Oklahoma). With the NIL both them and A&M will be loaded with Texas booster wealth (no other state is building $ as fast as Texas). It’s why Saban went off on Jimbo.  If recruiting becomes oriented about school wealth, this could get even more …. challenging.