9/21/22 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

Auburn expected to be without starting quarterback against Missouri

Jason Caldwell

2-3 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—On Monday we mentioned the likelihood that Auburn starting quarterback T.J. Finley would miss the Missouri game this week and on Tuesday that was confirmed with sources telling Auburn247 that Finley could be out several weeks while dealing with a sprained throwing shoulder suffered in the loss to Penn State.

Auburn's starter the first three games of the 2022 season, Finley is completing 62 percent of his passes for 431 yards and one touchdown with four interceptions this season. 

On Monday, Auburn's Bryan Harsin was asked about Finley's role as the starter for the Tigers heading into the Missouri game.

"We'll see," he said. "Like I said, we'll let guys compete this week. It's Monday. We haven't decided what we're going to do. Through the week of practice it'll be decided. We'll let guys compete, and we'll put the best guys out there on Saturday to go play."

72COMMENTS

Without him available, Auburn is expected to turn to sophomore transfer Robby Ashford against Missouri. Coming to Auburn from Oregon, Ashford has received his first career action this season and has thrown for 245 yards and one touchdown with two interceptions while completing 52 percent of his passes. Also a weapon on the ground, Ashford is second on the team with 158 rushing yards and is averaging 6.6 yards per carry.

That makes Zach Calzada and true freshman Holden Geriner the next guys up for the Tigers behind Ashford. Yet to see action this season after transferring from Texas A&M, Calzada started 10 games for the Aggies a season ago. Both Calzada and Geriner will get reps this week to prepare for Saturday.

">247Sports

wow. when it rains it pours............

How long will Auburn's identity crisis at quarterback last?

Taylor Jones
3 minutes

Auburn Football began the season with an identity issue at quarterback. It was a crisis that head coach Bryan Harsin had hoped would be resolved by week three’s crucial home game against Penn State.

As Auburn enters week four against Missouri for the SEC opener, the quarterback issue has shown zero signs of settling.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Both T.J. Finley and Robby Ashford had their best game passing the football in Saturday’s loss to Penn State, as both players attempted 19 passes and threw for over 140 yards each. However, both players threw an interception, so there was not a clear contender left standing once the dust settled.

When neither quarterback takes a commanding lead, how hard is that to assess? Head coach Bryan Harsin told the media Wednesday that scouting overall performance is not as complex as one would think, but it is the big picture that can provide a challenge.

“It doesn’t make it difficult to assess. The situation is difficult, but you watch the plays, watch how they execute them, watch the operation. You can evaluate that,” Harsin said during his weekly press conference on Monday. “Sometimes you get into the last final few minutes of the game, and you try to do some things that may be crazy to try and get back into it and that’s hard.”

Looking at the depth chart that Auburn provided on Monday, Finley is listed as the clear-cut starter over Ashford. However, the ensuing week of practice will tell the ultimate story of who gets the most snaps on Saturday.

“Like I said, we’ll let guys compete this week,” Harsin said. “We haven’t decided yet what we’re going to do. Through the week of practice, it will be decided. But we’ll let guys compete, and we’ll put the best guys out there on Saturday to go play.”

There is one name, however, that has gotten lost in the shuffle, and that is Zach Calzada. Calzada, who transferred to Auburn in the offseason from Texas A&M, was expected to take over the role of starting quarterback earlier this offseason. Through three games, he has yet to take a snap.

Could this be the week that Calzada plays a role in the quarterback battle? Harsin says that Calzada will keep competing this week, just like Finley and Ashford.

“(Calzada) is competing like everybody else,” Harsin said. “Every single week those guys get opportunities, and we try to play the best players. Again, that’s what happens from Sunday through Friday.”

Harsin says that in addition to each quarterback competing for the job this week, all three candidates will be healthy for Auburn’s game with Missouri at Jordan-Hare Stadium this Saturday.

SPORTS ANALYST JOHN LONGSHORE: What’s Wrong with Auburn and How Can It Be Fixed?

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 5:22 PM CDT

by Alabama News Network Staff

Auburn football fans are left wondering what it’s going to take to fix the team after the Tigers’ 41-to-12 loss to Penn State.

Auburn suffered four turnovers in Saturday’s home game, and star running back Tank Bigsby was held to 39 yards rushing.

The pressure on head coach Bryan Harsin will only increase with the loss.

While Auburn is 2-1, this was the Tigers fifth-straight loss to a Power Five team.

Alabama News Network Sports Analyst John Longshore says there are a lot of problems to solve.

“Let’s get back to the offensive line. That’s been an issue at Auburn for a long long time. They have not recruited well in that area. You can see it — these quarterbacks who are running for their lives.

“People are wondering why Bo Nix left and transferred. That’s one of the main reasons. He was not getting any protection, and I think other teams are out-scheming Auburn. Auburn doesn’t scheme well. They didn’t well against Penn State on Saturday. Obviously, the fans are not happy. The natives are getting restless,” Longshore said.

Up next, Auburn will host Missouri at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Kickoff is at 11AM CDT Saturday on ESPN.

T.J. Finley’s not-so-subtle retweet offers explanation into Auburn’s passing-game woes

Published: Sep. 20, 2022, 3:45 p.m.
2-3 minutes

Penn State vs Auburn, Sept. 17, 2022

Penn State safety Jaylen Reed hits Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley forcing an interception during the first quarter on Sept. 17, 2022. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

There’s plenty to be critical of and unpack from Auburn’s 41-12 loss to Penn State on Saturday.

Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley was 11 of 19 passing for 152 passing yards, an interception and a lost fumble before being replaced in the second half by Robby Ashford.

The benching certainly was a main topic of conversation in the aftermath of the loss.

On Tuesday, Finley retweeted the CFB Film Room’s interesting statistic.

“Auburn QBs were pressured on 61.8 percent of their dropbacks vs. Penn State, the 4th highest pressure rate allowed by an SEC team over the last five season,” the tweet reads.

T.J. Finley tweet

Auburn's T.J. Finely retweeted some numbers that show quarterback play against Penn State wasn't just impacted by the quarterback. (Twitter)

You can’t help but think Finley’s retweet was a not-so-subtle attempt at an explanation that the passing woes are not solely on him. In fact, the insinuation is he is calling out the offensive line.

“We went three-and-out on that (first) drive (of the second half) there, and that was one that hurt us, just from a momentum standpoint,” Auburn coach Bryan Harsin told reporters after the game. “But even at that point, the score (14-6) is not out of hand. It comes back to us executing, but the decision for that was not necessarily off of, you know, him not being able to go. T.J.’s a tough guy. He showed toughness tonight, too, and we felt like Robby had some plays in there and that he could get some things going, and he did.”

Ashford, from a statistical standpoint, didn’t fare much better, though, he did have the touchdown pass. Ashford finished the game 10-of-19 for 144 yards, the score and an interception.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

Auburn tight end says he doesn't Deal well with losing

Mark Murphy
4-5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama–The last time Auburn played Missouri in football Luke Deal was redshirting while Kerryon Johnson and the SEC West champion Tigers were dominating Mizzou in Columbia. This Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium, Deal and his teammates will be a part of the first Auburn-Missouri matchup since Auburn won 51-14 in 2017.

It will also be the first time Mizzou, an SEC expansion team that made the move from the Big 12, has played a football game at Auburn. Both teams come into the contest with 2-1 records. Both groups of Tigers won at home vs. opponents they were heavily favored to beat and both lost badly in their only contest vs. a Power5 opponent.

Auburn’s loss was the most recent one, a 41-12 pounding at the hands of Penn State, something that irked the Auburn tight end.

“I will be the first to tell you, ever since I was a young kid, after a loss I didn’t take it very well, so usually just lock myself in my room,” Deal said on Monday. “Now that I have a wife, I have to kind of flush it a little faster than most people.

“That was really the key, coming in, and obviously things didn’t go our way,” he said of the team’s mindset at practice after the loss to Penn State. “Some things we have to fix, some things we are still fixing. Every week in this league, you have to flip the page. You can’t let a team beat you twice. That’s kind of the mindset–go in, get all the things fixed we needed to get fixed and turn the page. I think our team is doing a good job of that.”

Saturday’s game will be the fourth straight at home for Deal and his teammates. The first two were under the lights, last week’s contest vs. Penn State was played in the afternoon. Kickoff for the Missouri game, which will be televised on the SEC Network, will be at 11 a.m. CDT and the morning start is just fine with the tight end.

“I am an early morning guy,” Deal said. “I wake up in the morning, about 6:30 every morning, and kind of get my day started so I love the 11 o'clock kickoff.

“I am excited about this week,” he added. “The later games, I mean they are cool. The atmospheres are great, but leading up to that it is a lot of waiting around. Don't like that as much–rather just go out and play.”

Missouri comes into the contest following a 34-17 home victory over Abilene Christian. Coach Eli Drinkwitz’s team opened the season with a 52-24 win over Louisiana Tech. In week two Mizzou was dominated in a 40-12 setback at Kansas State.

11326041.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Luke Deal (86) and John Samuel Shenker (25) are two of the team's most experienced players. (Photo: Greg McWilliams, Inside the Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Asked what he has seen of Missouri, Deal said, “I have gotten a chance to look at them a little bit. Their defensive ends are pretty big and physical, which is what I like. I don’t like when people try to run around me, I would rather you just come straight at my face so that will be good.

“They have got a bunch of good players (who) fly around,” the tight end added. “Like I said, SEC talent. Everybody's got it. Schematically, nothing we haven't seen before. We are going to have to prepare really hard and it going to be a big week of practice.”

Deal said the Tigers realize they need to step up after a disappointing day vs. Penn State. “When you get hit in the mouth, you can either fold or you can speed things up and improve, and I think that what we started doing yesterday, we’re going to continue to do today, tomorrow and leading up into the game.”

8COMMENTS

Saturday's contest will be Homecoming for the Tigers, who will be trying to improve their all-time record to 3-1 in games vs. Missouri.

Auburn to open 2023 SEC football schedule at Texas A&M

Mark Murphy
11-14 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama–The Southeastern Conference announced the 2023 football schedule on Tuesday, and Auburn will open league play on Sept. 23 at Texas A&M in Week 4. Auburn’s SEC home opener will be Game 5 as the Tigers renew the league’s oldest rivalry with Georgia.

The Tigers will open their season on Sept. 2 with a home game against UMass, and a week later they will travel across the country to play Cal of the Pac-12. Cal is scheduled to make a return visit to Auburn on Sept. 7, 2024, at Jordan-Hare Stadium. The game against UMass is the first time these teams have met in football.

The Tigers will be at home for Week 3 on Sept. 16 to play Samford prior to opening league play.

After Georgia visits Auburn, the Tigers will have an open week on Oct. 7 before playing at LSU on Oct. 24

Auburn will be back in action on Oct. 21 against Ole Miss and will play host to Mississippi State a week later.

The Tigers will be back on the road on Nov. 4 with a trip to Nashville to play Vanderbilt, followed by a trip to Fayetteville to face Arkansas.

The final nonconference game of the season is scheduled for Nov. 18 when New Mexico State visits Jordan-Hare Stadium.

The Tigers will close the regular season on Nov. 25 when Alabama returns to Auburn for the Iron Bowl.

2023 Auburn Football Schedule

Sept. 2–UMass at Auburn

Sept. 9–Auburn at Cal

Sept. 16–Samford at Auburn

Sept. 23–Auburn at Texas A&M

Sept. 30–Georgia at Auburn

Oct. 7–Open

Oct. 14–Auburn at LSU

Oct. 21–Ole Miss at Auburn

Oct. 28–Mississippi State at Auburn

Nov. 4–Auburn at Vanderbilt

Nov. 11–Auburn at Arkansas

Nov. 18–New Mexico State at Auburn

Nov. 25–Alabama at Auburn

2023 SEC Football Schedule – Week-by-Week

August 26

Hawaii at Vanderbilt

September 2

Middle Tennessee at Alabama

Western Carolina at Arkansas (Little Rock)

UMass at Auburn

Florida at Utah

UT Martin at Georgia

Ball State at Kentucky

Mercer at Ole Miss

Southeastern Louisiana at Mississippi State

South Dakota at Missouri

South Carolina vs. North Carolina (Charlotte)

Tennessee vs. Virginia (Nashville)

New Mexico at Texas A&M

Alabama A&M at Vanderbilt

September 3

LSU vs. Florida State (Orlando)

September 9

Texas at Alabama

Kent at Arkansas

Auburn at California

McNeese State at Florida

Ball State at Georgia

Eastern Kentucky at Kentucky

Grambling at LSU

Ole Miss at Tulane

Arizona at Mississippi State

Middle Tennessee State at Missouri

Furman at South Carolina

Austin Peay at Tennessee

Texas A&M at Miami

Vanderbilt at Wake Forest

September 16

Alabama at South Florida

BYU at Arkansas

Samford at Auburn

Tennessee at Florida

South Carolina at Georgia

Akron at Kentucky

Georgia Tech at Ole Miss

LSU at Mississippi State

Kansas State at Missouri

UL-Monroe at Texas A&M

Vanderbilt at UNLV

September 23

Ole Miss at Alabama

Charlotte at Florida

UAB at Georgia

Arkansas at LSU

Missouri vs. team to be determined

Mississippi State at South Carolina

UTSA at Tennessee

Auburn at Texas A&M

Kentucky at Vanderbilt

September 30

Texas A&M vs. Arkansas (Arlington)

Georgia at Auburn

Florida at Kentucky

LSU at Ole Miss

Alabama at Mississippi State

South Carolina at Tennessee

Missouri at Vanderbilt

October 7

Vanderbilt at Florida

Kentucky at Georgia

Arkansas at Ole Miss

Western Michigan at Mississippi State

LSU at Missouri

Alabama at Texas A&M

October 14

Arkansas at Alabama

Missouri at Kentucky

Auburn at LSU

Florida at South Carolina

Texas A&M at Tennessee

Georgia at Vanderbilt

October 21

Tennessee at Alabama

Mississippi State at Arkansas

Ole Miss at Auburn

Army at LSU

South Carolina at Missouri

October 28

Mississippi State at Auburn

Georgia vs. Florida (Jacksonville)

Tennessee at Kentucky

Vanderbilt at Ole Miss

South Carolina at Texas A&M

November 4

LSU at Alabama

Arkansas at Florida

Missouri at Georgia

Texas A&M at Ole Miss

Kentucky at Mississippi State

Jacksonville State at South Carolina

UConn at Tennessee

Auburn at Vanderbilt

November 11

Auburn at Arkansas

Ole Miss at Georgia

Alabama at Kentucky

Florida at LSU

Tennessee at Missouri

Vanderbilt at South Carolina

Mississippi State at Texas A&M

November 18

UT Chattanooga at Alabama

Florida International at Arkansas

New Mexico State at Auburn

Georgia State at LSU

UL-Monroe at Ole Miss

Southern Miss at Mississippi State

Florida at Missouri

Kentucky at South Carolina

Georgia at Tennessee

Abilene Christian at Texas A&M

November 23

Ole Miss at Mississippi State

November 25

Missouri at Arkansas

Alabama at Auburn

Florida State at Florida

Georgia at Georgia Tech

Kentucky at Louisville

Texas A&M at LSU

Clemson at South Carolina

Vanderbilt at Tennessee

Dec. 2

SEC Football Championship (Atlanta)

2023 SEC Football Schedule – Team-by-Team

ALABAMA

Sept. 2                  MIDDLE TENNESSEE

Sept. 9                  TEXAS

Sept. 16                at South Florida

Sept. 23                OLE MISS

Sept. 30                at Mississippi State

Oct. 7                    at Texas A&M

Oct. 14                  ARKANSAS

Oct. 21                  TENNESSEE

Oct. 28                  Open Date

Nov. 4                   LSU

Nov. 11                 at Kentucky

Nov. 18                 UT CHATTANOOGA

Nov. 25                 at Auburn

ARKANSAS

Sept. 2                  W. CAROLINA (Little Rock)

Sept. 9                  KENT

Sept. 16                BYU

Sept. 23                at LSU

Sept. 30                vs. Texas A&M (Arlington)

Oct. 7                    at Ole Miss

Oct. 14                  at Alabama

Oct. 21                  MISSISSIPPI STATE

Nov. 4                   at Florida

Nov. 11                 AUBURN

Nov. 18                 FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL

Nov. 25                 MISSOURI

AUBURN

Sept. 2                  UMASS

Sept. 9                  at California

Sept. 16                SAMFORD

Sept. 23                at Texas A&M

Sept. 30                GEORGIA

Oct. 7                    Open Date

Oct. 14                  at LSU

Oct. 21                  OLE MISS

Oct. 28                  MISSISSIPPI STATE

Nov. 4                   at Vanderbilt

Nov. 11                 at Arkansas

Nov. 18                 NEW MEXICO STATE

Nov. 25                 ALABAMA

FLORIDA

Sept. 2                  at Utah

Sept. 9                  McNEESE STATE

Sept. 16                TENNESSEE

Sept. 23                CHARLOTTE

Sept. 30                at Kentucky

Oct. 7                    VANDERBILT

Oct. 14                  at South Carolina

Oct. 21                  Open Date

Oct. 28                  vs. Georgia (Jacksonville)

Nov. 4                   ARKANSAS

Nov. 11                 at LSU

Nov. 18                 at Missouri

Nov. 25                 FLORIDA STATE

GEORGIA

Sept. 2                  UT MARTIN

Sept. 9                  BALL STATE

Sept. 16                SOUTH CAROLINA

Sept. 23                UAB

Sept. 30                at Auburn

Oct. 7                    KENTUCKY

Oct. 14                  at Vanderbilt

Oct. 28                  vs. Florida (Jacksonville)

Nov. 4                   MISSOURI

Nov. 11                 OLE MISS

Nov. 18                 at Tennessee

Nov. 25                 at Georgia Tech

KENTUCKY

Sept. 2                  BALL STATE

Sept. 9                  EASTERN KENTUCKY

Sept. 16                AKRON

Sept. 23                at Vanderbilt

Sept. 30                FLORIDA

Oct. 7                    at Georgia

Oct. 14                  MISSOURI

Oct. 28                  TENNESSEE

Nov. 4                   at Mississippi State

Nov. 11                 ALABAMA

Nov. 18                 at South Carolina

Nov. 25                 at Louisville

LSU

Sept. 3 (Sun.)       vs. Florida State (Orlando)

Sept. 9                  GRAMBLING

Sept. 16                at Mississippi State

Sept. 23                ARKANSAS

Sept. 30                at Ole Miss

Oct. 7                    at Missouri

Oct. 14                  AUBURN

Oct. 21                  ARMY

Nov. 4                   at Alabama

Nov. 11                 FLORIDA

Nov. 18                 GEORGIA STATE

Nov. 25                 TEXAS A&M

OLE MISS

Sept. 2                  MERCER

Sept. 9                  at Tulane

Sept. 16                GEORGIA TECH

Sept. 23                at Alabama

Sept. 30                LSU

Oct. 7                    ARKANSAS

Oct. 14                  Open Date

Oct. 21                  at Auburn

Oct. 28                  VANDERBILT

Nov. 4                   TEXAS A&M

Nov. 11                 at Georgia

Nov. 18                 UL-MONROE

Nov. 23 (Thu.)      at Mississippi State

MISSISSIPPI STATE

Sept. 2                  SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Sept. 9                  ARIZONA

Sept. 16                LSU

Sept. 23                at South Carolina

Sept. 30                ALABAMA

Oct. 7                    WESTERN MICHIGAN

Oct. 14                  Open Date

Oct. 21                  at Arkansas

Oct. 28                  at Auburn

Nov. 4                   KENTUCKY

Nov. 11                 at Texas A&M

Nov. 18                 SOUTHERN MISS

Nov. 23 (Thu.)      OLE MISS

MISSOURI

Sept. 2                  SOUTH DAKOTA

Sept. 9                  MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE

Sept. 16                KANSAS STATE

Sept. 23                To be determined

Sept. 30                at Vanderbilt

Oct. 7                    LSU

Oct. 14                  at Kentucky

Oct. 21                  SOUTH CAROLINA

Nov. 4                   at Georgia

Nov. 11                 TENNESSEE

Nov. 18                 FLORIDA

Nov. 25                 at Arkansas

SOUTH CAROLINA

Sept. 2                  vs. No. Carolina (Charlotte)

Sept. 9                  FURMAN

Sept. 16                at Georgia

Sept. 23                MISSISSIPPI STATE

Sept. 30                at Tennessee

Oct. 14                  FLORIDA

Oct. 21                  at Missouri

Oct. 28                  at Texas A&M

Nov. 4                   JACKSONVILLE STATE

Nov. 11                 VANDERBILT

Nov. 18                 KENTUCKY

Nov. 25                 CLEMSON

TENNESSEE

Sept. 2                  vs. Virginia (Nashville)

Sept. 9                  AUSTIN PEAY

Sept. 16                at Florida

Sept. 23                UTSA

Sept. 30                SOUTH CAROLINA

Oct. 14                  TEXAS A&M

Oct. 21                  at Alabama

Oct. 28                  at Kentucky

Nov. 4                   UCONN

Nov. 11                 at Missouri

Nov. 18                 GEORGIA

Nov. 25                 VANDERBILT

TEXAS A&M

Sept. 2                  NEW MEXICO

Sept. 9                  at Miami

Sept. 16                UL-MONROE

Sept. 23                AUBURN

Sept. 30                vs. Arkansas (Arlington)

Oct. 7                    ALABAMA

Oct. 14                  at Tennessee

Oct. 28                  SOUTH CAROLINA

Nov. 4                   at Ole Miss

Nov. 11                 MISSISSIPPI STATE

Nov. 18                 ABILENE CHRISTIAN

Nov. 25                 at LSU

VANDERBILT

Aug. 26                 HAWAII

Sept. 2                  ALABAMA A&M

Sept. 9                  at Wake Forest

Sept. 16                at UNLV

Sept. 23                KENTUCKY

Sept. 30                MISSOURI

Oct. 7                    at Florida

Oct. 14                  GEORGIA

Oct. 28                  at Ole Miss

Nov. 4                   AUBURN

Nov. 11                 at South Carolina

13COMMENTS

Nov. 18                 Open Date

Nov. 25                 at Tennessee

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn news, notes and opinion***

Auburn Morning Rush: Auburn picks honorary captain for Mizzou game

River Wells
3 minutes

Happy Wednesday, Auburn fans.

It’s game week once again, so the Tigers are preparing to face the other Tigers from Missouri on Saturday. Auburn recently announced its honorary captain for that game and another Auburn special teams player was recognized for his work and service off the field.

Buy Tigers Tickets

The Tigers have other fall sports going on as well, though, and two individuals on those teams — volleyball and soccer — are being commended for their efforts contributing to a strong start for Auburn sports.

Without any further ado, here are a few stories you may have missed for the Auburn Morning Rush:

1236542722.jpg

(Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)

Auburn has named its honorary captain for Saturday’s game against Missouri.

The Tigers named Eku Leota as the honorary captain. Leota was a transfer from Northwestern but has found himself firmly in the Tigers family after helping support edge rusher Derick Hall on the other side of the line. Leota is considered one of the top edge rushers from the transfer portal.

USATSI_17064417.jpg

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

An Auburn special teams player has been recognized for his work off the field.

Anders Carlson was named to the 2022 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team, which commends players for their off-the-field actions and contributions to the community. Carlson is one of 22 student-athletes to be named to the Good Works team.

USATSI_17419683.jpg

Marvin Gentry-USA TODAY Sports

The Auburn volleyball team has had its best start in program history, and its players are being recognized.

Junior Jackie Barrett has been recognized as the SEC Setter of the Week after clocking in 33 assists in Auburn’s victory over Southern Miss and 41 against Jackson State, culminating the week with 57 assists against Jacksonville State. Auburn volleyball is set to kick off SEC play against the Crimson Tide on Saturday and Sunday.

USATSI_18925953.jpg

Tallahassee Democrat—USA Today

Auburn is certainly proving it deserves the moniker of an “everything school”.

In this case, junior midfielder Anna Haddock has represented the Tigers in a big way. She currently ranks second in assists for D1 schools in the NCAA for active career players, and her handiwork and getting the ball to more of Auburn’s playmakers has allowed Auburn to be beaten just once in nine matches at the start of its season.

si.com

POSEY: Where is Zach Calzada?

Cooper Posey
5-6 minutes

It's one of the many mysteries of this Auburn football season. 

Zach Calzada started in 10 games for Texas A&M last season. Calzada got his chance in week two of the 2021 season against Colorado after Haynes king fractured his leg in the first quarter ending his season. 

Texas A&M led by new starting quarterback Calzada quickly found themselves 0-2 in SEC play after being knocked off by no. 16 Arkansas and unranked Mississippi State the following two weeks. The second-year quarterback got off to a rocky start only throwing one touchdown pass through both games and throwing an interception in both. Things did not look too good for Texas A&M and their new quarterback. 

We all know that later, Calzada led the Aggies into the biggest upset of the season beating no. one Alabama at home. Calzada became one of two quarterbacks in college football that had beat Alabama joining Bo Nix. (Later in the season Stetson Bennet would become the third.) Texas A&M would finish the season 8-4 and 4-4 in conference play. Calzada finished the season with a 56.1 completion percentage, 2,185 passing yards, and 17 touchdowns through 11 games. 

Auburn’s starting quarterback Bo Nix announced he was entering the transfer portal after it was rumored that Head Coach Bryan Harsin could not meet the list of demands given to him by Nix and his dad. 

Calzada entered the transfer portal knowing that Haynes King would return in the off-season and reclaim his starting job. 

Calzada and Oregon transfer Robby Ashford both arrived on the plains for the 2022 season through the transfer portal.

The uncertainty of the quarterback position lingered through the spring, into fall camp, and all the way up until the first game. 

Finley was named the starting quarterback for the Tigers but that did not sit well with a lot of fans. We had previously seen Finley throughout the 2021 season. He, like Calzada, started the season as the backup and eventually was handed the job after starting quarterback Bo Nix suffered a season-ending ankle injury. Finley threw 827 yards, six touchdowns, and one interception in 2021.

Speculation started to rise going into week one of this season. A lot of people including myself did not think he was the man for the job. Personally, I did not think he was impressive in 2021 he made bad decisions, he was not mobile at all, and he was inaccurate. But my opinion, like yours, does not matter. Bryan Harsin is going to trot the best guy out there, right? 

Throughout the first two games, we watched a two-quarterback system with Finley and Ashford. 

The Mercer game gave us hope that it might work.

Finley went 9-14 throwing for 112 yards with one touchdown pass, and an interception.

Ashford went 4-7 throwing for 100 yards and rushing for 68 yards on 6 attempts.

Week two was a different story. 

Auburn struggled against a group of five school offensively and defensively.

Finley finished against SJSU with thirteen completions on 20 attempts, throwing for 167 yards, and two interceptions.

Ashford finished with one completion on three attempts, throwing for one yard, and an interception.

In week three the wheels completely fell off. 

Auburn had their first real test of the season against Penn State at home. 

Finley finished with 11 completions on 19 attempts, throwing for 152 yards, one interception, and three fumbles. 

Harsin pulled Finley out of the game in the third quarter and Ashford got his chance. 

Ashford finished 10 for 19, throwing for 144 yards, and one interception.

Through three games Finley alone has thrown four interceptions and fumbled the ball three times while only throwing one touchdown pass. Ashford has thrown two interceptions through three games while only throwing one touchdown pass. Throughout all of this, we have yet to see Calzada. We did not even see him in the fourth quarter against Penn State though Auburn was down 41-12. If Auburn continues to play like this, they may not win a conference game this season. The dumpster fire that is this program will continue to burn unless changes are made. 

What more does Harsin need to see from Finley and Ashford before he gives someone else a shot? At Auburn 8-4 is not acceptable (ask Malzahn) but neither is the performance witnessed last night at home. Calzada has already proved he can navigate himself through this league and conference better than Finley can. So why not give him a shot? Is there something we do not know that they do? Where is Zach Calzada?

Bryan Harsin is going to trot the best guy out there? He has to, right?