Jump to content

Texas


bigbird
 Share

Recommended Posts

@TigerHorn and I have been speaking on this for a while, but this demonstrates better the kind of $

https://ssaurel.medium.com/oil-could-make-texas-university-the-richest-in-america-ahead-of-harvard-5354fbe02ed1

 

Doing nothing nets them 6 million/day or just under 2 billion a year 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites





well they say everything is bigger in texas right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

well they say everything is bigger in texas right?

This demonstrates just how much bigger

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This demonstrates just how much bigger

hell you do that. you are the biggest bird i have ever met............grins

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, aubiefifty said:

hell you do that. you are the biggest bird i have ever met............grins

TWSS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AU people, and for that matter, the rest of the SEC, just have no clue what they are up against. Texas A&M has the same funding mechanism - the Permanent University Fund, or PUF - but gets a smaller percentage than UT does. Texas has historically tried to stay on the cleaner side of athletics, they jaywalked and broke the speed limit just like AU and everyone else, but never went the serial killer route of SMU and uat. Now the gloves are off with NIL and the portal.

Texas doesn't need its alumni to donate to academics or the campus like everyone else does due to the PUF. Then add in the fact that Texas has had at least 2x the alums of any SEC school for decades and they are, on average, considerably wealthier. If they decide to do it, no other SEC school will be able to keep up. 

This discussion is not complete without pointing out two visionary aspects of the way UT was set up. The PUF is one of them. The other is the not-an-alumni association, the Texas Exes. All you have to be is an ex-student, not a grad. Hi Michael Dell, proud Texas Ex who never graduated but was welcomed to the Texas Exes from day one, before he was Michael Dell, and who has contributed millions.

And all the hundreds of oil and cattle millionaires that came before him were welcomed too when they dropped out of school from the 1910's on to make their fortunes in oil and land. Not-an-alumni associations are actually a fixture of the former SWC schools for exactly that reason.

AU would do well to rename its alumni association. We would also do well to pay more attention to what the fake-it-til-you-make-it institution across the state is doing in terms of national recruiting and paving the road in gold for top students. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As best I recall, Sam Ginn contributed $25M and rightly got the College of Engineering named after him. That's four days and a few hours of cash flow from the Texas PUF........

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It truly is awesome.  Overwhelming, but nonetheless just Awesome.

 

@TigerHorn, do you know any that are working behind the scenes with UTx "NIL"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It truly is awesome.  Overwhelming, but nonetheless just Awesome.

 

@TigerHorn, do you know any that are working behind the scenes with UTx "NIL"?

No, I really don't want anything to do with NIL. I know a guy who will have the inside scoop, but I don't even ask, don't want to know. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

No, I really don't want anything to do with NIL. I know a guy who will have the inside scoop, but I don't even ask, don't want to know. 

If you get a chance to peak under the hood, do it. Amazing cooperation and synergy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

No, I really don't want anything to do with NIL. I know a guy who will have the inside scoop, but I don't even ask, don't want to know. 

It'll just make you cry

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

If you get a chance to peak under the hood, do it. Amazing cooperation and synergy 

Who did you talk to BB? PM me if necessary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

AU people, and for that matter, the rest of the SEC, just have no clue what they are up against.

Money-wise, this is true. And yet, their football program has been disappointing to say the least. Will all the $ matter if they still can't get their house in order? If the problem isn't money, what is it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Money-wise, this is true. And yet, their football program has been disappointing to say the least. Will all the $ matter if they still can't get their house in order? If the problem isn't money, what is it?

Read the rest of my posts.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Read the rest of my posts.....

I read every post in this thread. If you don't care to summarize what you may have written elsewhere, ok. 

Since Texas's championship year with Vince Young in 2009, their record has been what Auburn fires coaches for. Apparently money doesn't make all that much difference with regard to won/loss records.  In nine of the 12 years since Vince was there, Texas has lost five or more games. Seven losses seems to be the most popular number, with five of those in 12 seasons. I don't see anything to be scared of as it relates to athletics.

No doubt their school of nursing is first rate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2022 at 7:13 AM, bigbird said:

@TigerHorn and I have been speaking on this for a while, but this demonstrates better the kind of $

https://ssaurel.medium.com/oil-could-make-texas-university-the-richest-in-america-ahead-of-harvard-5354fbe02ed1

 

Doing nothing nets them 6 million/day or just under 2 billion a year 

Texas’ and A&M’s wealth happens to be because of a curious caveat of Texas oil and gas law that occurred from the 1880s to the 1930s. They get a pretty stout percentage of oil and gas royalties earned by the state. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

I read every post in this thread. If you don't care to summarize what you may have written elsewhere, ok. 

Since Texas's championship year with Vince Young in 2009, their record has been what Auburn fires coaches for. Apparently money doesn't make all that much difference with regard to won/loss records.  In nine of the 12 years since Vince was there, Texas has lost five or more games. Seven losses seems to be the most popular number, with five of those in 12 seasons. I don't see anything to be scared of as it relates to athletics.

No doubt their school of nursing is first rate.

I took their messages to mean that UT is going to unload NIL money for recruits. Before this, they tried to run a fairly clean program, but now the gloves are off and the money is going to be flowing.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Texas’ and A&M’s wealth happens to be because of a curious caveat of Texas oil and gas law that occurred from the 1880s to the 1930s. They get a pretty stout percentage of oil and gas royalties earned by the state. 

see-you-in-the-future-so-long.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

precisely-on-schedule-right-on-schedule.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, smackydoodle said:

I took their messages to mean that UT is going to unload NIL money for recruits. Before this, they tried to run a fairly clean program, but now the gloves are off and the money is going to be flowing.

Yes, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@bigbird

  The O&G law I was referring to that made Texas and Aggies so very very rich:  (Sorry for the formatting, copy and pasted this straight from my Oil and Gas outline)

1.     Texas Relinquishment Act

a.      About 10% of Texas’ revenues come from oil and gas on state lands

b.     Before 1895, all patents for lands in Texas included mineral rights…so no problems for Grantees

c.      After 1895, Texas realized the value of oil and gas, and classified certain unpatented lands (owned by the State) as “mineral lands”

d.     After 1895, Texas sold lands pursuant to various acts, and under those acts the State classified the land before sale as either “grazing land,” “mineral land,” “agricultural land,” or “timber land.” Almost all lands not previously sold by the State by 1895 were in West Texas, and the State classified most of those lands as “mineral lands.”

e.      If the lands were “mineral-classified,” the statute provided that the state must retain all minerals when it was sold.

f.      Patentee just got the surface – therefore any lease by surface owner was void

g.     These owners complained that their surface use was being disrupted.

                                               i.     In response, beginning in 1919, the Texas legislature began passing a series of statutes called the Relinquishment Acts, relinquishing to the landowners the State’s oil and gas rights in the lands patented as “minerals” between 1895 and 1931, retaining a 1/16th (NPRI) royalty interest for the State.

1.     (between 1895-1931: gave mineral rights back to surface owner but state reserves 1/16th npri)

h.     There were those who did not believe that the Legislature should have given away the State’s mineral rights, and they challenged the Relinquishment Act as a donation to the landowners of a part of the permanent free school fund in violation of the State constitution. (some said that money should be going to the schools)

i.       The controversy finally made its way to the Texas Supreme Court in 1928 . . .

j.       **So, for mineral-classified public free school land in Texas after 9-1-1895, but before 8-21-1931:

                                               i.     Private owners of “Relinquishment Act Lands” do not own the minerals.

                                              ii.     Landowners do have the right to lease the oil and gas as agents of the state and to share lease benefits (royalty, bonus, delay rentals) equally with Texas – a 50/50 split.

                                            iii.     This right to lease – the “executive right” – comes with a fiduciary duty to the state.

k.     THIS WAS A POLITICAL COMPROMISE BY THE SUP CT OF TX for the people bitching and the legislature/texas

l.       University Lands of Texas

                                               i.     UT = 2/3 of Texas’s 50% share of lease benefits (royalty, bonus, delay rentals)

                                              ii.     A&M = 1/3 of Texas’s 50% share of lease benefits (royalty, bonus, delay rentals)

So all oil/gas producing land sold by Texas to the public between 1895 and 1931 has to pay 50% of the royalties to Texas which then goes to Texas/aggies in the above ratios.  That is a whole lot of land and a whole lot of money.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Didba
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Texans obviously love UTx 1/3 more than TAMU. 😂

I can see why they'd be bitter.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Texans obviously love UTx 1/3 more than TAMU. 😂

I can see why they'd be bitter.

Imagine how the other Universities felt...  They actually sued to have some of the money go to them and I think the TX SC actually rewrote the ratios recently to give some to other schools in the Texas system

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, smackydoodle said:

I took their messages to mean that UT is going to unload NIL money for recruits. Before this, they tried to run a fairly clean program, but now the gloves are off and the money is going to be flowing.

Yes, but they have been rich since forever. Currently, Texas A&M is the richest school in the SEC. 10 years in the conference and the Aggies have not won a conference championship. They've never even been in the SEC championship game. The second richest SEC school is Vanderbilt. No need to even discuss their football program. Their women's bowling team did win a national championship in that sport a few years back.

We need to remember that the schools themselves, no matter how rich they are, cannot pay the NIL money. It has to come from outside businesses. The bulk of the Texas school's money comes from the oil deal and that can't be used for the NIL Their NIL money will have to come from from booster donations. Will their alumni pony up significantly more money than Auburn's? They might but that won't have anything to do with the billions those schools have accumulated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes, but they have been rich since forever. Currently, Texas A&M is the richest school in the SEC. 10 years in the conference and the Aggies have not won a conference championship. They've never even been in the SEC championship game. The second richest SEC school is Vanderbilt. No need to even discuss their football program. Their women's bowling team did win a national championship in that sport a few years back.

We need to remember that the schools themselves, no matter how rich they are, cannot pay the NIL money. It has to come from outside businesses. The bulk of the Texas school's money comes from the oil deal and that can't be used for the NIL Their NIL money will have to come from from booster donations. Will their alumni pony up significantly more money than Auburn's? They might but that won't have anything to do with the billions those schools have accumulated.

As soon as Texas gets here they will be the richest. Those oil and gas royalties + the boosters donations are just an unreal amount of money. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Didba said:

As soon as Texas gets here they will be the richest. Those oil and gas royalties + the boosters donations are just an unreal amount of money. 

The oil and gas royalties plus donations to the school don't make one bit of difference to their NIL money. Will they raise as much NIL money as A&M? Will being rich do them any more good that A&M's richness has done for them?

Being that rich hasn't done Texas any good for the past 12 years. Let's see if it does them any good in the future before we all huddle down and quiver over the coming of the Shorthorns.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Members Online

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...