Poll, Who do you want to see replace CBH

bishoptf

Who do you want to see replace CBH  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to see replace CBH (your pick not who you think Auburn will choose)

11 minutes ago, beagle34 said:

Vince Dooley

Vince would have come home, and wanted to when Shug retired, but alas, we wound up with Barfield. I'm pretty sure that Shug recommended him. Something about him being an offensive genius...and thats the rest of the story...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Rednilla said:

But would he be able to mold a team out of those recruits? Because that's kind of important, too.

Perhaps with the right assistants and other coaching staff. 

• Like 1

My pick was other and am still looking for the football equivalent of CBP. 

Kiffen seems to be the leader atm and while I'm not a big fan, he is a great O mind. With the right D coordinator and assistants, I think he could have lots of success here. And we have a decent track record with ex Tennessee coaches, so who knows. 

• Like 1

What most of us are missing, as long as the same "power people" are in charge, we will keep hiring the same unqualified ADs, which hire terrible coaches who do not know how to be accountable or develop players. We are in a deep hole. We'll find out if Calzadda plays...

Grimes interests me. He has experience with Auburn, is a strong recruiter, was a good offensive line coach and has been generally successful since leaving Auburn. 

Kiffen would be entertaining, but something about him makes me fear we'd be getting another Malzahn type of situation. 

Sanders, I just don't know. I have no doubt he'd generate a lot of recruiting buzz, but I wasn't thrilled when we hired Gus. Sanders has far less relevant experience and whoever takes this job is recruiting against the two best in the business. 

Stoops I personally would like, but I think his style might not be dynamic enough to make a quick impact. I don't see Bob coming here. 

There's no Saban out there, but there may be a Kirby. Dye was a Kirby. Tuberville was a Kirby. Guys like Harsin are good coaches in their environment, but if you don't understand the modern SEC and that the bulk of your recruits have to come from areas heavily recruited by Saban, Smart, Kelly, Kiffen... coaches that have rings or playoffs on their resume, then you aren't going to succeed at Auburn.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Edit your initial post, and then at the top of the screen it should give you two tabs, one for Content, one for the Poll. Tab over to the Poll option and you can edit the poll. I've already added the "Other" option, however. . . although, since it won't let me allow people to change their vote, it may be too late with that.

Thanks I somehow missed that, appreciate the help!

Interesting input, I think what this does show is that there are quite a few potential candidates out there. Again if you select other please post in the comments who you would be leaning towards.

I have to ask @BizTigerdo you really want to stay with CBH, everyone has an opinion and I am just really curious if your serious or not. If so I'd like to hear your perspective in how you think he can turn things around. I have always felt that if he was doing below average on the field I could overlook some of that if he was nailing it in other aspects like recruiting or coordinators etc but I just haven't seen any ray of sunshine for anywhere in his program and at least for me I do not see how that changes from now or next year.

I feel a little queasy wondering if these really will end up being our options. I just don't think Kiffin is the right guy to come in and galvanize support from the athletic department and boosters the way we will have to do to rebuild. The SEC isn't letting Freeze back in. Grimes has no HC experience. Anyone else have a good write-in? 

Edited by Sani-Freeze

17 minutes ago, WarDamnDoc said:

Is there a reason Aranda is not on this list?

After him, give me Grimes or Kiffin.

Deion is just too risky. Could take us higher… or far, far lower. Not worth it.

Kiffin or Freeze for me.  I agree about Deion.

Edited by MaxCohen216
  • Like 2

It must be someone who can beat Saban: Grimes - no. Stoops - no. Stoops - no. Freeze - maybe. Kiffen - not so far in 5 years. Sanders - likely with the talent and probable coaching staff. Else little brother syndrome continues. Or hire Urban Meyer and that'll piss off Saban and get us some respect for the next 7-10 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Systems said:

It MUST be someone who can beat Saban. Period.

Eh most coaches can't beat Saban, I think everyone wants us to beat Bama but for me as long as we can be competitive and win consistently is what I am looking for. I'd like to be able to build a program that can compete year after year. Being competitive means winning more than we loose against LSU, UGA and Bama and other power5 school. Again I don't think you have to beat them everytime but you need to win more than you loose and we haven't done that in a very long time...thats my take..

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

He would out-recruit most everybody, for sure, but I don't know that he'd be such a great head coach.

From that list, I prefer Grimes or Freeze, but would be okay with Mark Stoops as well. Hell, to be honest, I'd be okay with Deion, I just don't know enough about his coaching pedigree vs. his recruiting pedigree.

But if I had to choose one, I'd go with Freeze. Something about Hugh has the same kind of feel as Bruce Pearl did when we hired him, and that one worked out okay for us.

Hugh just doesn't feel nearly as genuine or real to me as Bruce does, but that's jmo.

In regards to Deion though, just keep Fabianich on to run the personnel side of things. Get an experienced DC and a young, innovative OC and we're rocking. Deion would just need to manage the game, which of course is no small task

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarDamnDoc said:

Why not? You'd rather just stand by and play it safe while our two main rivals are lapping us? If this was 2013 or even 2020 I'd agree with you, but not now. It's time for drastic action, and sometimes that comes with huge risk

I suppose I would be fine with anyone on that list, but I don't see any of them as being the perfect candidate, so I voted 'other.'

Almost voted Sanders.  Almost voted Grimes.

I don't know, after seeing some of the seismic HC moves last year, I'm hopeful we can effing nail this one.  We're due.

WDE!

• Like 1

I have been thinking about his for several days. Several of the guys that have been mentioned, would probably do a good job if given the time. For me, if you wanted the ultimate home run, you would get Deion (assuming he would be interested) as coach (on a friendly contract salary wise, length wise, and buyout wise) and have him hire a great OC and DC (spend the money here).  Deion would bring the exposure to the program, the discipline to the locker room and the big time recruits.  

Having said that, whoever you hire, you can't cripple yourself with a hefty contract or massive buyout.  The only one's that I think will agree to this type of arrangement is a up and coming coach trying to make his mark (Deion) or one that is trying to rehabilitate his image/career (Freeze).  Anyone else is going to demand too much and if they fail, we are in the same situation again.  Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WarDamnDoc said:

Because there is no way he’s coming. 

• Like 1

When on earth did Deion Sanders become the second incarnation of Lombardi? The guy was coaching high school ball three years ago. He's done a good job at an FCS school and yes, he's well known and yes, he'd likely make an immediate recruiting buzz, but this translating into wins on and off the field is about as probable as it was with Gus, who had more FBS and SEC experience at the time we hired him. If he ends up being the hire, I'll be excited to see what he can do, but of the coaches listed here... he's absolutely the highest risk with no clear evidence of reward. 

Edited by aucom96
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, bishoptf said:

Eh most coaches can't beat Saban,

Most coaches with similar levels of talent can beat Saban.  Maybe not every time they play him, but they can split games with him.

uat has been given a completely free pass to cheat for around 15 years at this point.  And no, that doesn't mean no one else cheated during that time frame, but they were allowed to cheat.  Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix.  They got caught doing exactly the same thing we got two years of probation, no bowl, no championship eligibility, no t.v. even for one year, loss of scholarships, and a 60 Minutes segment dedicated to how scandalous we were, and they got...nothing.  Not even an investigation.  They.  Didn't.  Even.  Get.  Investigated.  And that's on an infraction that they didn't even deny, and that there was a paper trail to prove it and that was a national media story.

Saban won a NC at LSU (but so did Les Miles and so did Ed Orgeron), but other than that, before going to uat Saban's record was somewhere between mediocre and pretty good.  He was not SUPERCOACH until he was able to buy more talent than everyone else.  Not sure why winning when you have a giant talent gap is considered so impressive.  I remember SI doing a story a few years back on the four teams in the playoffs because uat had more five star players than the other three teams combined.  That kind of talent hoarding happened organically.  Sure it did.

All that is to say that with NIL, that advantage is going away.  And Saban knows it, and he knows what's going to happen as a result of it.  That's why he whined about A&M pre-season so hard that the league sanctioned him.  He knows that if you want to see how hard Nick Saban is to beat when you have as much talent as he does, you need only look at the uat-UGA games from last year.  He doesn't dominate, he splits those games.

NIL hasn't had time to even things out yet, but it will.  Now everyone is allowed to buy players.  Give it three more years, and I predict that Saban won't be any bigger factor than half a dozen other coaches in the SEC, just like he was before he went to uat.  He'll either go ahead and retire at that point (I guess he'll be 73 or so) or just stop winning championships.  He's not the one you've got to worry about.

Kirby Smart is the one you've got to worry about.

Edited by Shoney'sPonyBoy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

Most coaches with similar levels of talent can beat Saban.  Maybe not every time they play him, but they can split games with him.

uat has been given a completely free pass to cheat for around 15 years at this point.  And no, that doesn't mean no one else cheated during that time frame, but they were allowed to cheat.  Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix.  They got caught doing exactly the same thing we got two years of probation, no bowl, no championship eligibility, no t.v. even for one year, loss of scholarships, and a 60 Minutes segment dedicated to how scandalous we were, and they got...nothing.  Not even an investigation.  They.  Didn't.  Even.  Get.  Investigated.  And that's on an infraction that they didn't even deny, and that there was a paper trail to prove it and that was a national media story.

Saban won a NC at LSU (but so did Les Miles and so did Ed Orgeron), but other than that, before going to uat Saban's record was somewhere between mediocre and pretty good.  He was not SUPERCOACH until he was able to buy more talent than everyone else.  Not sure why winning when you have a giant talent gap is considered so impressive.  I remember SI doing a story a few years back on the four teams in the playoffs because uat had more five star players than the other three teams combined.  That kind of talent hoarding happened organically.  Sure it did.

All that is to say that with NIL, that advantage is going away.  And Saban knows it, and he knows what's going to happen as a result of it.  That's why he whined about A&M pre-season so hard that the league sanctioned him.  He knows that if you want to see how hard Nick Saban is to beat when you have as much talent as he does, you need only look at the uat-UGA games from last year.  He doesn't dominate, he splits those games.

NIL hasn't had time to even things out yet, but it will.  Now everyone is allowed to buy players.  Give it three more years, and I predict that Saban won't be any bigger factor than half a dozen other coaches in the SEC, just like he was before he went to uat.  He'll either go ahead and retire at that point (I guess he'll be 73 or so) or just stop winning championships.  He's not the one you've got to worry about.

Kirby Smart is the one you've got to worry about.

Agree with everything you said thats why said above that I want to be competitive on all fronts with uat, lsu and uga. Being competitive means winning more than we loose against LSU, UGA and Bama and other power5 schools. Again I don't think you have to beat them every time but you need to win more than you loose and we haven't done that in a very long time...thats my take..

I also extend that to things like recruiting, you need to be competitive on all fronts...

Edited by bishoptf

9 hours ago, Systems said:

It must be someone who can beat Saban: Grimes - no. Stoops - no. Stoops - no. Freeze - maybe. Kiffen - not so far in 5 years. Sanders - likely with the talent and probable coaching staff. Else little brother syndrome continues. Or hire Urban Meyer and that'll piss off Saban and get us some respect for the next 7-10 years.

You have no idea who the Sanders coaching staff would look like.

• Like 2