Poll, Who do you want to see replace CBH

bishoptf

Who do you want to see replace CBH  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to see replace CBH (your pick not who you think Auburn will choose)

11 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

What do yall think of Mike Elko? He's the current HC at Duke and former DC at Texas A&M and Notre Dame. 

He doesn't have much of a track record as HC and I don't know much about him, but have heard his name come up a few times on podcasts as an up& coming HC & good defensive recruiter.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Mike-Elko-1055/AllTimeRecruits/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Elko

https://theathletic.com/3442219/2022/07/22/duke-football-recruiting-mike-elko/

I think Bigbird has mentioned him. Seems interesting, but is he ready?

After what i witnessed today(and know that I'm in a sour fire Harsin today mood) I would be willing to take Pat Nix. I'll feel better tomorrow...(and my vote is for Grimes)

Edited by cctiger

On 9/21/2022 at 2:38 PM, Bro Johnny Mac said:

If we go the assistant/never head coached route, Grimes would be my pick 

Absolutely.  Could build a strong OL, former Auburn OL coach (Gus didn’t retain him), was well liked and thought of by players, won the Big 12 as Baylor’s OC last year, has them in the top 15/20 this year, could bring in his own staff (including Dell as a coordinator, surround him experience), build a staff with proven experience and recruiting chops needed in the SEC (as opposed to the majority of the staff coming from the Mountain West)…so many reasons. Jeff Grimes would be my main choice too.

After buying out Gus and Harsin, plus all of the PTB trashing from Venables/Napier/others, that happened after the Feb debacle, I don’t see us landing a currently successful P5 coach (like a Kiffin, Stoops). Freeze is a sleaze. As for Dion, he brings a big name, but not nearly enough coaching experience. 

Edited by auburndkel
  • Like 1

We need a program builder and player developer. I am see MC right now and this was the same stuff I had complaints about prior to majority of the people wanting him here.

• Like 1

I would go with Lane Kiffin for immediate impact and experience. Prime Time is intriguing and I’m sure it would make a huge and immediate impact in recruiting, but I worry about his lack of coaching experience against coaches, like Kirby and Saban.  Freeze has a ton of baggage but I think would do an excellent job as well. Grimes is the least sexy of the bunch but I think would turn us into a regular contender given time.

I don’t think keeping Harsin at this point is even remotely tenable. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I would go with Lane Kiffin for immediate impact and experience. Prime Time is intriguing and I’m sure it would make a huge and immediate impact in recruiting, but I worry about his lack of coaching experience against coaches, like Kirby and Saban.  Freeze has a ton of baggage but I think would do an excellent job as well. Grimes is the least sexy of the bunch but I think would turn us into a regular contender given time.

Right it has to be someone who can make a splash with recruiting. Someone that kids will want to come play for. I don’t think Lane is the best long term coach, just a coach that could us respectable relatively quick.

47 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Who would *actually* come here?

1 hour ago, auburndkel said:

Venables/Napier

Venables stepped into a goldmine at Okie and he knew it. Napier is still very questionable. Never liked Napier, he's got a smart arse mouth with an attitude to boot. He thinks he's better than he really is in IMHO. Coaching at La.Tech and in the SEC is a different dog. Venables wasn't going nowhere except to the Sooners if they ever came calling, and they did. 

Hmmm, none of the above. Maybe Harsin with an organized & funded NIL? To be clear, he's as guilty as anybody at Auburn for that just getting under way - last winter the man told everybody that would listen he didnt "believe" in the NIL. Nevertheless, he can get the job done IMO with NIL and a couple better assistants.

• Facepalm 1

I'd be able to talk myself into 4/5 of the top choices.

Deion, Huge, Grimes, Lane...all have downside, but I can buy u to each other these upsides. They are all different 

My concern is that much of our fan base doesn’t have patience to grind it out over time with a solid hire. More years of toxic posts. Great. Plus, first Saban and now Kirby has firewalled off much of natural recruiting base - so it’s gotten even harder to build gradually/traditionally.

Freeze would be a solid hire. But I don’t think a splash (feels a little like Gus 2.0, looking backwards) and his baggage and going nutty risks could be a circus. Kiffin’s a mercenary, another Saban fixer upper,  and …. just not likable.

I know it sounds crazy, but my instincts are Deion would be a hard reset.  A potential game changer. In a way…. safer. We need it. He could fail, leave, or both.  But he could also radically change our recruiting trajectory. I think his brand (with the right staff) would terrify our rivals.

My 2 cents. No yawners or retreads.  Go big risk/reward. It’s time. Hell, if nothing else it’d be fun.

Deion - if he’d do ut.

ps imagine a world with him and pearl at AU. That by itself would be a spectator sport

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 4

On 9/21/2022 at 2:46 PM, dilligas said:

I voted Bob Stoops by mistake.  Meant to vote Mark Stoops.  It won’t let me change my vote.  Bob Stoops would have been my last choice.

It’s ok my friend.   It looks like 5 people accidentally voted “I don’t want to change coaches”

• Haha 1

Guest MustardSeed

My top 3

1. Monken- pluses-great offensive mind, qb whiperer, HC experience, SEC experience, knows the ins and outs of a top tier program.. minus-would need a lot of help from a great recruiting staff

2. Rhule- pluses- proven at turning around programs and quick, not afraid of terrible situations (see Baylor), low risk on coaching ability…minus- no SEC experience..recruiting?

3. Grimes - pluses-solid offenses, solid recruiter, knows SEC…minus- may not be SEC HC ready

I think Freeze is Gus 2.0, Kiffin will risk too much trouble and piss off all the boosters, Sanders is a huge risk on the coaching side having barely wet his feet in lower tier college coaching..hasn’t seen the inside workings of top tier FBS team in decades so I’ll pass on all 3

Any of those top 3 above and I think we are at a minimum competitive in the SEC West

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Any of the ones I mentioned. 

Even with the AD situation? "Alignment" supposedly being what sunk us last time.

Edited by AUwent