Jump to content

Wow. In the last 40 years


gr82b4au
 Share

Recommended Posts

Auburn has had a back to back losing record only 1 time. 98/99 and 99/00 - Going from Bowden to Tommy. 
As a matter of fact, losing seasons are so rare at auburn that in just about every case, the coach was fired after they had just 1 losing season over the last 50+ Years (with more than 1 year on the job). 
It is just very rare to lose at Auburn. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Auburn_Tigers_football_seasons

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites





You have to go back to Earl Brown in 1950 to find a coach with back to back losing seasons at AU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

The season is not over yet so hold off on the burial of this Auburn team. #premature

I like that attitude! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be fair, I have trouble considering a 6-6 regular season followed by a bowl loss as a losing season in the same way a 5-7 season with no bowl.

Back when the regular season was 11 games, you could have a 6-5 season, and lose a bowl and not have a losing season. Now, with 12 game seasons, with the additional game being a conference game, you can end the regular season 6-6, but then go to a bowl game and end up with a losing season. This is due in part to the massive expansion of bowl games, where before that a 6-6 record might not get you to a bowl. Then add in the current trend of NFL eligible players opting out of the bowl game, and that makes things more challenging.

There are now 44 bowl games, meaning 88 bowl teams (out of 131 FBS schools).

In the 1999-2000 season, there were 23 bowl games with 46 teams participating.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, meh130 said:

To be fair, I have trouble considering a 6-6 regular season followed by a bowl loss as a losing season in the same way a 5-7 season with no bowl.

Back when the regular season was 11 games, you could have a 6-5 season, and lose a bowl and not have a losing season. Now, with 12 game seasons, with the additional game being a conference game, you can end the regular season 6-6, but then go to a bowl game and end up with a losing season. This is due in part to the massive expansion of bowl games, where before that a 6-6 record might not get you to a bowl. Then add in the current trend of NFL eligible players opting out of the bowl game, and that makes things more challenging.

There are now 44 bowl games, meaning 88 bowl teams (out of 131 FBS schools).

In the 1999-2000 season, there were 23 bowl games with 46 teams participating.

I believe many times a lower tier sec team gets paired against an obvious higher tiered team from a lower conference with the thinking that athletes are even. This is not always the case.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I like that attitude! 

Me too but,,, I have to admit, going forward, my attitude is now on a game by game basis.  I need to see something that looks like intelligent, planned, improvement.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, icanthearyou said:

Me too but,,, I have to admit, going forward, my attitude is now on a game by game basis.  I need to see something that looks like intelligent, planned, improvement.

Me too. As bad as we have looked, I still think that we win this weekend. Maybe that will start something. The odds are against it but I will be there in the stands watching. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Earl Brown damn that's a name from the past

Sick Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Paging @bigbird… Dont want to steel your thing.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

To be fair, I have trouble considering a 6-6 regular season followed by a bowl loss as a losing season in the same way a 5-7 season with no bowl.

Back when the regular season was 11 games, you could have a 6-5 season, and lose a bowl and not have a losing season. Now, with 12 game seasons, with the additional game being a conference game, you can end the regular season 6-6, but then go to a bowl game and end up with a losing season. This is due in part to the massive expansion of bowl games, where before that a 6-6 record might not get you to a bowl. Then add in the current trend of NFL eligible players opting out of the bowl game, and that makes things more challenging.

There are now 44 bowl games, meaning 88 bowl teams (out of 131 FBS schools).

In the 1999-2000 season, there were 23 bowl games with 46 teams participating.

The stat about back to back 10 win seasons is misleading for this very reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2022 at 1:46 PM, AUDevil said:

You have to go back to Earl Brown in 1950 to find a coach with back to back losing seasons at AU.

On the field, Barfield in 76-77, though technically he benefitted from a forfeit.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2022 at 2:47 PM, maryland tiger said:

The season is not over yet so hold off on the burial of this Auburn team. #premature

lmao on this.

Hold that rope, pal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2022 at 12:12 PM, meh130 said:

To be fair, I have trouble considering a 6-6 regular season followed by a bowl loss as a losing season in the same way a 5-7 season with no bowl.

Back when the regular season was 11 games, you could have a 6-5 season, and lose a bowl and not have a losing season. Now, with 12 game seasons, with the additional game being a conference game, you can end the regular season 6-6, but then go to a bowl game and end up with a losing season. This is due in part to the massive expansion of bowl games, where before that a 6-6 record might not get you to a bowl. Then add in the current trend of NFL eligible players opting out of the bowl game, and that makes things more challenging.
 
There are now 44 bowl games, meaning 88 bowl teams (out of 131 FBS schools).

In the 1999-2000 season, there were 23 bowl games with 46 teams participating.

Technically, 2021's 6-7 record is a losing season while 2020's 6-4 record was called a "solid" season by the HC.  In reality though, 6 wins in any season are a disappointment.  AU deserves better than 6 wins.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...